• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I have grown to love tightly-paced, super-polished games that don't take too long to beat.

Hell, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy will go down as my favorite PS4 exclusive because it is just non-stop! Excellent pacing, great variety and never overstays it's welcome. An absolute pleasure of an experience.

Over the years, I've had a lot of similar experiences like Portal, Until Dawn, etc but I am hungry for more right now - but only those with a lot of polish.

I'm also interested in self-contained DLC that fits the bill. For example, I'm about to pick up Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den for 1X because it's on sale and I've heard it's a similar vibe: short, self-contained and tight.

What are the short, big budget games you love?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wolfenstein: The New Order

The pacing in this game is really good. It's balls to the wall at some points but it doesn't hesitate to give the player downtime and change it up every so often. Compare it to say a CoD campaign which is just GO, GO, GO all the time and you start to just zone out.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Hearts of Stone. I felt it was one of the best quest-lines in gaming history.

Similarly, DA:I - Trespasser.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Ico_cover_-_EU%2BJP.jpg

What a perfect little fairytale. Beautiful artstyle, intuitive mechanics, heart-warming central relationship, memorable antagonist.

And perhaps the most perfectly ambiguous yet impactful ending EVER

My favourite of the trilogy, and one of the GOATs

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Titanfall 2 campaign.

I was checking how long to beat it and other suggestions were more like 10 to 12 hours.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Halo 3: ODST. The game rightly caught flak when it launched for $60, but the campaign itself is perfectly paced and one of the most unique FPS games I've played.

Please don't hurt the Engineers.

2019-06-25.png

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Inquisition DLC fits this, at least Trespasser and Jaws of Hakkon.

The Descent isn't bad, but it's probably my least favorite of the three DLC's.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Not sure about tightly paced, but Firewatch (as in it's tight, but a slow walking game).

Bayonetta.

Yoku's island express.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't get the big budget part. I think you're looking for something else, aside from Bayonetta, which fits the bill.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Now this is a thread I can get behind.

Bioshock Infinite remains the only AAA game I've finished in one sitting.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 2 Remake is about 10 hours max. Uncharted Lost Legacy is a great shout.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I really loved how the The Fire Emblem: Three Houses DLC worked. It's essentially a 10ish hour long side-story with it's own set of save slots. You can play it before, during, or after the main game, and finishing it gives you new characters and classes for the main game.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Normalize appreciating short video games

Uncharted The lost legacy
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Mario + Rabbids Donkey Kong DLC
Titanfall 2

Last edited:

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Hearts of Stone. I felt it was one of the best quest-lines in gaming history.

Similarly, DA:I - Trespasser.

I think I spent at least 20 hours doing Hearts of Stone, and maybe 50 in Blood & Wine -- they were massive and when I see them called '10 hour expansions' I'm just thinking that either I play games wrong, or people are really in a rush

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 2 is the best example of a game like this, at least for this gen.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Pretty much every one of those expansions like the Miles Morales ones are

Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry
Uncharted The Lost Legacy
Infamous First Light

Are all around 6 hours or less

Assassin's Creed Liberation is slightly bigger, but still within the 10 hour limit

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
The original Luigi's Mansion. Perfectly paced, didn't overstay its welcome. At launch it was criticised for not being a Mario epic but time has been generous.
Also Mario And Rabbids Donkey Kong. Although more limited in scope than the main game, the DK gimmick was a blast and the whole thing is a very enjoyable romp.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I think I spent at least 20 hours doing Hearts of Stone, and maybe 50 in Blood & Wine -- they were massive and when I see them called '10 hour expansions' I'm just thinking that either I play games wrong, or people are really in a rush
Howlongtobeat has Hearts of Stone at 9 hours and 33 minutes for the main story, and my own experience with it mirrored that time, and that's with some of the side content included.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Definitely Titanfall 2. Resident Evil 3 was a great weekend play and obviously RE2 Remake is extremely good. Napple Tale for the Dreamcast is a wonderful 9 hour game. Lots of older platformers. Undertale if you get every ending. A Short Hike is maybe 2-3 hours if you get everything so that's on the shorter end. ZeroRanger is extremely good and about that same length. Metal Gear Rising is a wonderful ride. The Touryst should take 5-7 hours and it's a really good indie game on the Switch. I thought Truberbrook was a very solid point and click game with a superb aesethetic and that was 6-7 hours. Concrete Genie, Tearaway Unfolded, Wandersong.

Man there are so many good shorter games y'all.

Oh this was for AAA games. Well, play other games too.

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Owlboy and Steamworld Dig 1/2 are definitely up there.

EDIT: Oops, missed the AAA part! Luigi's Mansion 3 took us about 12 hours I believe, but that was while looking for collectables too. I'd count Hellblade as AAA as well.

Last edited:

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Howlongtobeat has Hearts of Stone at 9 hours and 33 minutes for the main story, and my own experience with it mirrored that time, and that's with some of the side content included.

Oh yeah I spend a lot of time doing random stuff, messing with the new mechanics (in HoS the sword glyphs, in B&W the mutagens), basically refining my build takes at least as long as the quests

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 3 is a recent example. Feels like a DLC to RE2, short but sweet. I thought the pacing was perfect. Fun 6 hour romp.

Titanfall 2 has one of the best FPS campaigns of all time. Perfect length as well.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
If you looking for DLC with alot of polish, play Witcher 3 DLC. Hearts of Stone, and Blood and Wine. Aside from my polish pun, its true that these 2 DLCs are pretty much better than many AAA games out there.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Thanks, keep em coming!!

I love a LOT of what you guys have posted!

Titanfall 2
Luigi's Mansion 1

There's also DLC suggestions for games I never beat like Fire Emblem - maybe I'll check them out. I'd like a shorter version of that game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is fantastic (well, not the main story) and one of the few games I've felt compelled to 100%

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Resident Evil REmake is hands down my favorite sub 10 hour game (and my second fav game ever after RE4). It's also my favorite remake as an aside. As for DLC, probably Witcher 3. Insanely high quality stuff.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe Devil May Cry 5? On human mode, it's pretty short (I finished it in about 8 hours) but the game is fucking rad.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Hellblade! Easily a top-5 game for me this gen and it's the perfect pace/length in my opinion.

EDIT: maybe not exactly AAA but I still think it qualifies.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Titanfall 2 is the best single player FPS I've ever played. It's short, varied, and never gets boring or overstays its welcome. Highly recommended. It's also really cheap.
I would also recommend Resident Evil 2 remake. Lots of fun and great atmosphere

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This feels like a thread made for Call of Duty campaigns. So many good and great ones out there for this gen alone, yet are so underrated and overlooked.

Great
Modern Warfare Remaster
Modern Warfare 2 Remaster
Infinite Warfare
Advanced Warfare

Good
World at War
Modern Warfare (2019)
World War II