Hu3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And people were arguing that HD-2D or whatever you want to call this style blending 2d and 3d would prevent some of the more expressive sprite work of past games. The more they show the happier I get that I back this.

this is miles ahead of square HD-2D technology. This is from the suikoden team they know how to make high quality sprites.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
this feels like a really confused way of looking at it to me. Nobody who crowdfunds an album gets sad when it ends up on Spotify. I don't get it. Subscription services are just fundamentally a different thing.
It's more of a value/save money proposition to him from what I took from our conversation. He only cares about playing the game (as oppose to me who wants a physical copy and all the goodies) and is actually happy that more people would be able to play it.

I'm guessing he probably fell into the "it's like pre-ordering" mental trap.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
this is miles ahead of square HD-2D technology. This is from the suikoden team they know how to make high quality sprites.

HD-2D is just a stylisation. It runs on Unreal Fucking Engine 4 wdym. SquEnix could do the same, sprites aren't nothing new, it's a choice.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
HD-2D is just a stylisation. It runs on Unreal Fucking Engine 4 wdym. SquEnix could do the same, sprites aren't nothing new, it's a choice.

Eiyuden is actually being developed on Unity but yes using 2D sprite work is definitely a choice. Although at the core Eiyuden still borrows heavily from it's inspiration roots of Suikoden. At least from the perspective of combat camera being an isometric overhead affair.

8c59c8cdd8c022d6b5cefa70647d388a_original.gif

Suikoden_%2528PSX%2529_52.gif

In the context of engine use it has nothing to do with Unreal 4 or anything else. In fact an engine is nothing more than a baseline set of tools to build a game on top of, It doesn't dictate art direction or gameplay design.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
As a backer, the gamepass thing doesn't bother me since the extra money will allow them to make the game better. I backed it because I wanted the game to get made.
Yup, it's this simple. I don't need any special treatment because I backed the game, I'm just grateful it's going to exist -- I'll be thanked in the credits.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
is the companion game that was announced today the same from game that was unlocked through the ks?

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Eiyuden is actually being developed on Unity but yes using 2D sprite work is definitely a choice. Although at the core Eiyuden still borrows heavily from it's inspiration roots of Suikoden. At least from the perspective of combat camera being an isometric overhead affair.

8c59c8cdd8c022d6b5cefa70647d388a_original.gif

Suikoden_%2528PSX%2529_52.gif

In the context of engine use it has nothing to do with Unreal 4 or anything else. In fact an engine is nothing more than a baseline set of tools to build a game on top of, It doesn't dictate art direction or gameplay design.

'HD-2D' is on UE4. Never talked about Eiyuuden tech. I was just not agree with the assessment that SquEnix is limited by the 'HD-2D' engine and Eiyuuden devs are some kind of genius.
SquEnix went with an art direction, it's a choice, making HD sprites is not a 2021 achievement.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
is the companion game that was announced today the same from game that was unlocked through the ks?

Seems like it, At least the description matches at least. The KS add-on game is supposed to be a farming / city builder sort of thing. Although the developer working on it is supposed to be Natsume-Atari (Wild Guns Reloaded and Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors being examples of some of their work)

Although what has been shown off for Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising looks very different the sprite inspired work from Natsume-Atari's other projects.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like it, At least the description matches at least. The KS add-on game is supposed to be a farming / city builder sort of thing. Although the developer working on it is supposed to be Natsume-Atari (Wild Guns Reloaded and Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors being examples of some of their work)

Although what has been shown off for Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising looks very different the sprite inspired work from Natsume-Atari's other projects.
ok thanks. i think i already have that selected in the survey thing

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
'HD-2D' is on UE4. Never talked about Eiyuuden tech. I was just not agree with the assessment that SquEnix is limited by the 'HD-2D' engine and Eiyuuden devs are some kind of genius.
SquEnix went with an art direction, it's a choice, making HD sprites is not a 2021 achievement.

There are tons of 2D sprite indies released all of the time lately, but high quality sprite work with good animation is another matter entirely. Eiyuden doesn't come across as the dime-a-dozen 2D indie releases you can find on Steam, eShop or wherever else. There clearly is a distinction in terms of quality here.

I think it's a fair point if GOOD sprite work is something anyone could easily do, then there would certainly be far more games pushing for it, but like I said it's few and far between, especially along the likes of something like Octopath, Ori and the Will Of The Wisp, Sea of Stars, or Eiyuden Chronicle, and very few other case examples of late.

So no ps4 or nintendo now?

No...it's still coming out for all planned platforms. As the developers stated in the latest KS update, the money from Game Pass is going to give them a larger budget to improve the game further in the form of an update that is free to all backers. Much like how there's going to be a Seign campaign and Marisa campaign DLC.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Have they hinted at all about the possibility of getting Rising physically for backers?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Have they hinted at all about the possibility of getting Rising physically for backers?

I would like this but I think there is the issue of timing of release between the main project at the side game. Also there is also one point that IGA had some advisory role to Murayama on the direction for the KS project.

Odds are I think it's going to be how Bloodstained was handled, the main game as a physical release and all backers getting the side-game as a digital code for their platform of choice.

Although I don't think this out rules the possibility of a physical release later. I mean even Ninja Warriors and Wild Guns Reloaded got a physical release, but I'm hoping for your sake and others it isn't some sort of Limited Run type of release.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Wait what, have i missed the part where we select what our extra pledges goes to?

There was a survey for this November of last year that covered this. You should have received an email about this.

Details are here - https://www.kickstarter.com/project...iyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes/posts/3027500

The special backer website to finalize details hasn't opened yet but there was a survey that allowed backers to outline exactly where the extra money pledge goes towards where, this happened back in November.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
There are tons of 2D sprite indies released all of the time lately, but high quality sprite work with good animation is another matter entirely. Eiyuden doesn't come across as the dime-a-dozen 2D indie releases you can find on Steam, eShop or wherever else. There clearly is a distinction in terms of quality here.

I think it's a fair point if GOOD sprite work is something anyone could easily do, then there would certainly be far more games pushing for it, but like I said it's few and far between, especially along the likes of something like Octopath, Ori and the Will Of The Wisp, Sea of Stars, or Eiyuden Chronicle, and very few other case examples of late.

It's a matter of will and skills and SquEnix has the ressources to hire talented 2D artists. Those small indie games probably don't have the resources (especially time) to spend on their game.

The guys behind Eiyuuden are not mugs by any means, they have money to back the ambition and vision. And I'm really interested in the 2D resurgence from big studios. This game looks so good.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
There was a survey for this November of last year that covered this. You should have received an email about this.

Details are here - https://www.kickstarter.com/project...iyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes/posts/3027500

The special backer website to finalize details hasn't opened yet but there was a survey that allowed backers to outline exactly where the extra money pledge goes towards where, this happened back in November.

Ah, then I think I'm safe, remember filling in a survey althoo it wasn't very clear.
Was thinking there was a second one that went in much more detail where you actually locked down which you wanted. Like putting a proper order.

EC and EC:Rising are 100% coming to all platforms.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It might help if this gets threadmarked.

I'm a member of the community team for the Eiyuden discord, and I've talked this over with someone at 505 games. Not just that, but Rabbit & Bear have made their position pretty clear that both games will be coming to all the platforms originally promised at the same time. The main game will also be coming earlier than retail for people who backed the project. So yes, it is still coming to Playstation and for the Switch Pro, or whatever it may be called. The only reason the other logos aren't on the website for Rising is because those logos have not been approved yet.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have GP, so this has no bearing on me. And even if I did, I am glad I donated to see this game come to fruition.

However, I just hope that because GP allowed them to put in extra DLC and other aspects of the game that nothing becomes exclusive (to GP).

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
EC being on GP is great. The game reaches a wider audience, esp. on a platform where it probably wouldn't have performed well. Whereas if you backed, you get to own the game on the platform of your choice vs. merely subscribing to a service, and you get the DLCs for free (and an additional, previously scrapped DLC, thanks to devs getting funding for GP deal), plus a physical copy and whatever else if you paid for that.

I just hope EC's marketing won't be completely exclusive to MS events, if R&B/505 have made some kind of marketing deal with MS in relation to EC being on GP. Since PS and Nintendo non-backer audiences need to be made aware of EC too, as it would probably appeal more to those userbases.

Bit of a side question but can't all or most Kickstarter simply get in gamepass given they money they already got are locked in? Game pass is basically extra cash given (I assume) most units are sold during Kickstarter period and not post launch.

Not necessarily. KS backers almost always total sub-100K, and are usually way fewer than that. Any semi-popular KS and up probably sells 3-10x at and from launch on vs. KS, at minimum.

EC had 46K backers. Maybe a couple thousand more slacker backers. They'll probably sell at least twice that, at minimum.

Last edited:

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I would like this but I think there is the issue of timing of release between the main project at the side game. Also there is also one point that IGA had some advisory role to Murayama on the direction for the KS project.

Odds are I think it's going to be how Bloodstained was handled, the main game as a physical release and all backers getting the side-game as a digital code for their platform of choice.

Although I don't think this out rules the possibility of a physical release later. I mean even Ninja Warriors and Wild Guns Reloaded got a physical release, but I'm hoping for your sake and others it isn't some sort of Limited Run type of release.
Ah thanks! Yeah I hope then that we can get an LRG release!!

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what the fuck discord is in general. I've seen the emails and pledge awards about "special roles" in the discord, like knights and paladins and shit like that. Like, are these people LARPing or something? If I followed the invites, would I see a bunch of blue-haired weirdos throwing magic missiles and lighting bolts at each other?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I have no idea what the fuck discord is in general. I've seen the emails and pledge awards about "special roles" in the discord, like knights and paladins and shit like that. Like, are these people LARPing or something? If I followed the invites, would I see a bunch of blue-haired weirdos throwing magic missiles and lighting bolts at each other?
I use Discord regularly... but I also have no idea lol

I'm told the roles give access to special channels and there's gonna be... something in there later? But what it is specifically, I don't know.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The different roles are all basically the same. What actually matters is what they do. From the Discord:

"As a bonus backer reward these roles will grant access to special channels where backers can suggest & vote on community events & official merchandise! "

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I'm not in many discords, but usually Roles are just bragging rights. Some servers hide specific channels behind certain roles however. Sometimes it's for "special" reasons. Other times it's mundane. Like I'd add an "anime" role if I want to get access to an anime channel to talk about it. If I don't care about anime, I leave it off and don't have to see an unnecessary channel cluttering my side bar.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Think of it like Restera titles under your username. Just in the case of Discord it will some times give you access to hidden VIP forums that normal members don't have access to.

In the case for Sea of Stars for example it allowed access to private developer discord which let folks provide direct feedback to the actual development staff for input on game itself.

Discord is basically the modern equivalent to ICQ or AIM. A specialized chat program but it also has integrated gaming features that lets folks know what game you are playing. It's good for organizing a groups for multiplayer. Kind of PSN lobbies sorta but either on your PC or mobile phone.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Is there any way at all to play Suikoden I - III barring playing it on a PS Vita? Like, maybe a PC or something?

Ugh, I hate the idea of playing it on an emulator; feels like I'm cheating or something.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Is there any way at all to play Suikoden I - III barring playing it on a PS Vita? Like, maybe a PC or something?

Ugh, I hate the idea of playing it on an emulator; feels like I'm cheating or something.

PS3 if you got one available. Sorry, I know you said barring Vita, so I feel like my post might come across as smartass-y, but unfortunately Konami has done fuck all releasing these games and getting Suikoden 1-4 on the PSN was like pulling teeth.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
PS3 if you got one available. Sorry, I know you said barring Vita, so I feel like my post might come across as smartass-y, but unfortunately Konami has done fuck all releasing these games and getting Suikoden 1-4 on the PSN was like pulling teeth.
Fuck, I'm literally locked out of my Vita because it's been a long-ass time since I've used it and I can't be arsed to get my password back.

Sigh I guess I'll do this thread *ahem* "other means."

NintenDuvo08

Oct 30, 2017
It might help if this gets threadmarked.

I'm a member of the community team for the Eiyuden discord, and I've talked this over with someone at 505 games. Not just that, but Rabbit & Bear have made their position pretty clear that both games will be coming to all the platforms originally promised at the same time. The main game will also be coming earlier than retail for people who backed the project. So yes, it is still coming to Playstation and for the Switch Pro, or whatever it may be called. The only reason the other logos aren't on the website for Rising is because those logos have not been approved yet.

Wait so is this an actual confirmation that the Switch Pro devkits actually exist or is this based on the assumption of a hypothetical Switch Pro existing????

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so is this an actual confirmation that the Switch Pro devkits actually exist or is this based on the assumption of a hypothetical Switch Pro existing????
No they don't know anything officially. They just say on the site they will support the next switch console that everyone assumes will release eventually.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017

You can buy the original games and play them on a PS1, PS2, or a PS3. If you get a PS3, you can play the digital versions. Sadly V is the only one not available on PS3 (aka the best one).

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm still not super jazzed about most of the newly revealed heroes since the initial announcement.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
You can buy the original games and play them on a PS1, PS2, or a PS3. If you get a PS3, you can play the digital versions. Sadly V is the only one not available on PS3 (aka the best one).
lol I'll have, err, "other" means of playing the games, I'm sure, haha.

But thanks. Glad that the series remains strong all the way up until the fifth one.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No love for Kangaroos?

also not too shocking tbh, with over 100 characters there will definitely be some that you don't like and someone else will.

Kangaroo man is aight. I do like beastmen. Esp. ones that branch out from the usual stuff. Bastard!! has armadillomen and stuff, which is awesome.

Anyway, while what you're saying is true, so far I've only really liked a couple. However, they're not bad designs or anything. Far from it. I'm just not getting that visual pop/"woah" factor that I get when I really like a design. With a couple exceptions, like Marisa.

It might just be Kawano's style that's not gelling with me. 1 and 4 were always my least favorite, aesthetically.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
No love for Kangaroos?

also not too shocking tbh, with over 100 characters there will definitely be some that you don't like and someone else will.
For me, I just thought Suikoden had too many different kinds of animal people after awhile.

Would have rather seen them come up with some more original fantasy races.

Don't get me wrong, I love a beaver with a guitar but it started to feel really silly after awhile.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There's something about the kangaroo man, though I can't quite put my finger on it. Hmm...

roo_guts.png