• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
Super Eyepatch wolf did a video on fake video games, basically, those screenshots/videos that fans make

View: https://youtu.be/Q8GnM5xD1k4?si=PMtDCF6us9PbL1hg

I find those concepts fun, but always end nitpicking certain details

For example, the Psx elden ring concept has ER cutscenes rendered in 32 bits

images

Only, I know that even if Elden Ring existed back then, it would've used pre-rendered fmv for those scenes instead of in-engine

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I was hoping it would be the sort of fake video games you see in TV/movies

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about halfway through this. Pretty interesting stuff. That fake Persona 5 sounded really good. Hollow Knight: Silksong mentioned in the video also seems like it would a fun game. Too bad it isn't real.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like Petscop or Valle Verde are so fascinating to me. People making these actual functioning games just so they can do these lets play horror stories.

People making whole strategy guides and instruction manuels for games that don't even exist is extremely cool.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Came in thinking it would be about how the ads for mobile games look way more fun than the actual games the ads were even for. Sometimes to the point where the games in the ads themselves don't even exist.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Came in thinking it would be about how the ads for mobile games look way more fun than the actual games the ads were even for. Sometimes to the point where the games in the ads themselves don't even exist.

Don't worry, PC-era.

I got this one.

www.youtube.com

YEAH! YOU WANT "THOSE GAMES," RIGHT? SO HERE YOU GO! NOW, LET'S SEE YOU CLEAR THEM! (Steam Trailer)

I couldn't find the steam trailer for the game YEAH! YOU WANT "THOSE GAMES," RIGHT? SO HERE YOU GO! NOW, LET'S SEE YOU CLEAR THEM! on YouTube, so I decided t...

They literally already made a game so you can play games that don't exist.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering when this video would happen after he talked about Vernis being his favorite thing of 2023 on the VSW podcast.

Anyway it seems pretty cool. Might cop one of the lore books off their store.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"The worst game you have ever played..."
*Background transitions to Omikron: The Nomad Soul*

I can already tell John's going to carry those scars for the rest of his life.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Man I remember those Persona 5 uploads. I immediately suspected they were fake but it was still kinda cool.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The thumbnail made me think it was about those alternate reality games where someone makes a series of videos playing a fake video game that turns out to be some creepypasta.

Edit: Oh, it's got some of those. Haha!

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
Didn't see this topic but my god... finished watching this video. So good. So many thoughts regarding fake games and let alone, the final one. Dear lord... it's so messed up.

Just going to post one fake game I was real. We DID get a real game of Made in Abyss but it wasn't received well at all. The concept for the fake game though? Gimme.

c9f6dffad21a888a3891fdf7884dcbc6.jpg

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
Applequest and Duckworld were the main fake games that stuck out to me because they were like mini-created worlds which was so appealing. I'd kind of love to make a fake RPG design document as a winter project. Unsure what it would be though.
A lot of the more existentialist themes he touched on also spoke to me a lot, or at least to a headspace I was in pre-transition. I really hope he can work out whatever it is he's going through :)

Hazel - It/it's :3

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
There are quite a few examples within cartoons, often as parodies. Most recently Gwimbly from smiling friends (animated by Hoolopee which OP forgot to reference)

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
P5 Imagining legitimately shaped my taste in music for years after it started floating around. Found so many small JP artists in the same flavor as Meg and Yasuhiro Ukai.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Great video as always, wrote down some stuff to take a look at also.

The creepy pasta and ARG scene is full of fake video games so I knew of some of the stuff and they're all worth checking out if you're into digital horror.

vegemite

Jul 19, 2022
Sydney, Australia
I was hoping it would be the sort of fake video games you see in TV/movies

The anime that got me into MMORPGs was Log Horizon, I remember really wanting to play Elder Tales lol. Not as exciting as many of the fake games being talked about here though :P it's really just a generic MMO that looks cooler in anime than it ever would IRL. But it got me into the genre, so there's that.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
only two things:

- eyepatch I see you, I see you reading my threads you cheeky boy

- a few of those fake "haunted" games he lists alongside the creepypasta games are not fake games. Like 'Covetous' is just a real flash game, it's not pretending to be a real game or sommit

you can still play Covetous too, there's backups online

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't see this topic but my god... finished watching this video. So good. So many thoughts regarding fake games and let alone, the final one. Dear lord... it's so messed up.

Just going to post one fake game I was real. We DID get a real game of Made in Abyss but it wasn't received well at all. The concept for the fake game though? Gimme.

Made in Abyss kind of already feels like an anime adaption of a game that doesn't exist. It is made by a former artist at Konami and you can definitely tell his experience from being around games seeping into the world and how things work.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
This just bums me out because there's a lot of fake games out there that I'd love to play.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
only two things:

- eyepatch I see you, I see you reading my threads you cheeky boy

- a few of those fake "haunted" games he lists alongside the creepypasta games are not fake games. Like 'Covetous' is just a real flash game, it's not pretending to be a real game or sommit

you can still play Covetous too, there's backups online

lol Yeah, I noticed that too. I guess after a while it might be hard to distinguish between stuff that was real and stuff that just had a lot of effort put into making it look like it was real.

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
Vermis sounds like the most disturbing, depressing shit ever. Fuck.

Have to wonder if any of Souls games were inspired by it (or vice versa)?

I absolutely love it. Feels real. The important thing obviously, is to separate yourself from it and realize it's just a storytelling medium, of course.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
lol Yeah, I noticed that too. I guess after a while it might be hard to distinguish between stuff that was real and stuff that just had a lot of effort put into making it look like it was real.
pretty much what I figured, either that or folks made so many creepypasta about those real games that folks just assume they're fake lol

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Ah well that would explain it if so. This is the first time I have heard about it. I love that kind of stuff though as dark as it is, it's also not something we get a lot of (understandably so).

Like John suggests its probably inspired by a mix of Silent Hill and Dark Souls or whatever else they're into. Dark Souls itself having obvious inspirations from media like Berserk and other dark fantasy. Im sure they're aware of many fan projects, like that guy who illustrated his whole Elden Ring playthrough in a sketchbook.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Vermis just Fear & Hunger?
Sure sounds like it based on this.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
vermis is one of the coolest art projects in recent memory for me, something about the art and writing hits this weird sweet spot of nostalgia, while still being alien & also extremely fucked up.

Oct 25, 2017
Man going through this video just reminded me of my really sick idea for a Bloodborne 2 where the idea is you would go after some of the characters mentioned in tengent in the first game like the guy who made the electricity (he did Frankenstein stuff with a kingdom of Knights with tesla swords) and the guy who made the beast claws going off to an enclave to become a monk until he turned into a massive wolf that would do Kung fu at you for a boss fight. If I had any artistic talent (and the idea that fake video games was a thing people could do) I'd have maybe made some neat stuff.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I don't know if you can do a proper Made in Abyss game and not get an AO rating.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you can do a proper Made in Abyss game and not get an AO rating.

iirc John (eyepatch wolf) basically said he's not covering that anime any more because it doubled down on the questionable parts. Just being into imaginative dark fantasy as some of your favourite media isn't enough when the author and content are that level of questionable. Some of the media he covers is still extremely dark, so that says a lot about that one. Maybe I have that confused for another content creator, but he's still gone silent on that one either way.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Fascinating stuff, a part of the internet I would be absolutely into if I would have discovered it.

Vermis sounds like something it could have been a FROM game.

I kinda feel like they deserve it's own genre, there is a lot of effort and time put in to these, some really great ideas and people expressing themselves. "Fake games" is doing them a disservice.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, is there a legitimate version of that barrel-shooting game that all of those games are advertising with nowadays? I'd love to play that (no, it's not in YOU WANT THOSE GAMES, RIGHT?).

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Halfway through this, been listening on my commute to and from work. Excellent work as usual, and has oddly been kind of been capturing what I've been loving about indie games lately that modern AAA titles can't exactly match; the raw amateurism of early game design is something that can't really be matched in the AAA space.

It's just cool to see people make shit who actually want to make it, using nothing but the tools they have at their disposal to do so.