• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this is for pointer controls in Galaxy. Not really sure there was any other good way of doing that.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Oh christ that means that they didn't do any effort and just straight ported/emulating these things becuase they're gonna make you use the joycon as a wiimote in galaxy
why

Alpha eX

Sep 22, 2019
This will be for Mario Galaxy, the star cursor was stuck on the screen in the footage. Makes sense technically but yikes.
Also means waggle is back and forced :(

eyezsac

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling (or at least I hope) that they're only for multiplayer. It doesn't make sense otherwise, especially considering that the X1 version already exists.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
If you actually read the page the asterisk is to bullet point about the Galaxy Co-Star thing.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
Is this only for Galaxy, or will Sunshine/64 need the split joycons? (After all,the promotional trailer shows them attached to the screen)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The website makes it pretty clear that this is just for the co-op mode, no?

Read it for yourself and get the actual context before freaking out people.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Read the whole thing. The asterisk is because they're talking about "co star mode."

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Context:

• Defy gravity as you explore space in the Super Mario Galaxy™ game, originally released in 2007! Help Rosalina restore her ship by collecting Power Stars and save Princess Peach. Gently shake a Joy-Con™ controller to activate Mario's Spin ability or pass a Joy-Con controller to a friend for some extra help in Co-Star Mode*.
*If playing on Nintendo Switch Lite, detached Joy-Con controllers are required and sold separately. See support.nintendo.com/switch/play for details.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Couldn't they have mapped the Galaxy cursor to the gyroscope of the Pro Controller?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting serious half-assed Super Mario All Stars on Wii vibes with info like this now. :/

Galaxy doesn't even have analog camera control. Why not use the right stick as a cursor?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think we need some clarification but this doesn't look good ATM

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not freak out yet.

The eShop page states that Pro Controller is compatible and mentions this warning about Lite:

To make use of Joy-Con features on Nintendo Switch Lite, a Joy-Con pair is required and the Nintendo Switch adjustable charging stand is recommended. A device to recharge Joy-Con controllers, such as the Joy-Con charging grip, will also be required. For more information, visit the Nintendo Switch Lite website.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Lemme get this straight
  • Only available for a limited time
  • Requires detached joy-cons
  • No new graphical assets for any of the games
  • No higher framerate for any of the games

I'm sure this will still sell like crazy, but holy hell Nintendo

Oct 27, 2017
Are you shitting me, Ninty?

So, I'll guess the rumored Skyward Sword port is going to be the same way. Fuckers...

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It literally says this for only 2 player, I'm staring at it in the eshop right now

but of course get that reactionary drive by thread

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
The full quote that it is refering to is

" Gently shake a Joy-Con™ controller to activate Mario's Spin ability or pass a Joy-Con controller to a friend for some extra help in Co-Star Mode*."

So seems today it's required for the spin jump and for multiplayer (Multiplayer at least makes sense that you'll need separate Joycons, but not remapping the spin jump is not good...)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
  • Defy gravity as you explore space in the Super Mario Galaxy™ game, originally released in 2007! Help Rosalina restore her ship by collecting Power Stars and save Princess Peach. Gently shake a Joy-Con™ controller to activate Mario's Spin ability or pass a Joy-Con controller to a friend for some extra help in Co-Star Mode*.

No shit you need detachable controllers in Co-Op mode

Status
Not open for further replies.