FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For Galaxy 2, I wonder if the controls for Yoshi didn't work well enough in handheld mode without proper pointer functionality. It's one thing collecting star bits but accurate timing when platforming is another.
This is the most likely scenario for me. Galaxy 1 will handle the pointer via the touchscreen in handheld mode, which works because there aren't any sections that require analog movement and pointer controls in that game. Galaxy 2's Yoshi sections require both controls to work in unison. I could see them mapping the pointer to the right stick with some form of sticky aim or lock-on to get it working, but that sounds like a less than ideal scenario on top of being more work. I could see them releasing Galaxy 2 as DLC that doesn't work on the Lite/handheld mode or they could implement some sort of control as mentioned. Either way, it's not as straight forward as with SMG1.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this seems like a pretty big rip off imo. not worth anymore than $30 imo since they're straight up 1:1 ports. They didn't even bother to make sunshine 60fps or port over the extra content from the DS version of 64. Smart (and shitty) of them to make it a limited release if this is what they planned on selling

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
this seems like a pretty big rip off imo. not worth anymore than $30 imo since they're straight up 1:1 ports. They didn't even bother to make sunshine 60fps or port over the extra content from the DS version of 64. Smart (and shitty) of them to make it a limited release if this is what they planned on selling
They're not "straight up 1:1" ports. They're at a higher resolution, Mario 64 has some cleaned up textures, and Sunshine has widescreen.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Super Mario Galaxy native 1080p and 60fps for $10 on those Chinese Tegra tablets 3+ years ago? Why is Switch getting a downgrade from that?
The Shield TV Tegras are max clocked, and Nvidia Lightspeed was involved in the porting. It's likely there might have been a few cases of slowdown with that version, so having dynamic resolution would at least alleviate those few cases.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm fucking IN. Oh my, oh oh my oh my oh my!!! Just got off work and saw this. Wonderful way to end the day!!!!!!!!

EDIT: alright, so just reading some of your replies and the details behind this. Sigh. Still hyped but yea...no Galaxy 2 lol?

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This Shindo shit better not be real in the end, whats the point of having portable 64 if I cant do my crappy speedruns on the go? Blj or riot.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
That's not true. Going back to the original rumor they were already called remasters back then. Even Jeff Grubb, with his own sources, called them remasters. They've never been called remakes by the original sources behind these rumors.
I remember reading that they were rumored to be remakes. Must have just been speculation on here. My mistake I guess for not realizing it and setting my expectations too high.

I'll probably pass on these. Honestly, would have been all over 64 and Sunshine if they were complete remakes even if they were $60 apiece.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to get a pre-order in on ShopTo, but I'm a bit scared to cancel my Amazon one since it's been up for a while and I'm concerned about whether or not ShopTo will be able to meet demand. Anyone have experience with them taking more pre-orders than their allocation allows or are they good with this kind of thing, and can a safely cancel my Amazon copy?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Not really smart to be limited. These games would've sold for a long time since not a lot of people would actually cared about simple remasters.

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
So the lack of Galaxy 2 in this collection is a sore point. In a hypothetical scenario, would you forgo Mario 64 and Sunshine to get Galaxy 1 and 2 as a bundled package for the same cost of $60?

The Galaxy titles are the ones I really want, so I actually think I would.
I would for sure, that would make much more sense than what we are getting.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I remember reading that they were rumored to be remakes. Must have just been speculation on here. My mistake I guess for not realizing it and setting my expectations too high.

I'll probably pass on these. Honestly, would have been all over 64 and Sunshine if they were complete remakes even if they were $60 apiece.
Yeah I've seen people on here call them remakes too in the past. Many people don't really know the difference. But afaik it's never been reported as being remakes by people who were in the know. I was hoping for a little more as well tbh. At least for SM64 to be widescreen and 64 and Sunshine to be 60 fps.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering, would fixing Mario 64's camera be super laborious or game-breaking in some way I'm not thinking of? It just feels so staccato, especially with a stick.

I'm really hoping they touched up some of the Sunshine jank. Like in the boat, sand bird and pachinko areas. I don't think I ever played far enough to experience them but I've heard enough over the years to hope they are part of the optimizations. You guys think fixes like that are out of the question at this point?

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So the lack of Galaxy 2 in this collection is a sore point. In a hypothetical scenario, would you forgo Mario 64 and Sunshine to get Galaxy 1 and 2 as a bundled package for the same cost of $60?

Hell yeah I would. Galaxy 2 easily outstrips the combined quality of 64 and Sunshine.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
It's a legacy collection. Any improvements at all are a bonus. These are a lot like the Mega Man collections that have released so far. They're still the same games but on modern systems.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo are probably unhappy with a widescreen view, given that the levels were probably designed with 4:3 in mind, and so refused to countenance changing it. Would the fact the Miyamoto was originally director of the game mean that he would have to agree this change?
If this was denied, I assume that the resolution could not be 1080p and 4:3 without stretching the action?
Resolution and aspect ratio are independent of each other. No good reason that I see for 720p.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I've been trying to google around for the answer to mixed results... where do we come down on using a pro controller for Galaxy? Can you play it docked without joy con motion controls?

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's a legacy collection. Any improvements at all are a bonus. These are a lot like the Mega Man collections that have released so far. They're still the same games but on modern systems.

The Mega Man legacy collections were priced accordingly and at least had a perceivable amount of care and passion poured into them.

Dec 11, 2017
Use Odyssey assets. Rebuild the existing Super Mario 64 with them and make it 1080p 60fps. I'd pay $40 alone just for that and be happy.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo are probably unhappy with a widescreen view, given that the levels were probably designed with 4:3 in mind, and so refused to countenance changing it. Would the fact the Miyamoto was originally director of the game mean that he would have to agree this change?
If this was denied, I assume that the resolution could not be 1080p and 4:3 without stretching the action?

but sunshine is 16:9

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria

Honestly yeah: I love the original Galaxy but I never got around to playing Galaxy 2. I'm not in any particular mood to bust out the Wiimote and a portable version of those games with a more conventional control scheme? Sounds good to me. I think it also helps that both Galaxies are 60fps and scale up quite nicely to higher resolutions. The existence of SM64 on PC and a 60fps code for Dolphin means I could do without the first two.

Jan 3, 2018
This is the most likely scenario for me. Galaxy 1 will handle the pointer via the touchscreen in handheld mode, which works because there aren't any sections that require analog movement and pointer controls in that game. Galaxy 2's Yoshi sections require both controls to work in unison. I could see them mapping the pointer to the right stick with some form of sticky aim or lock-on to get it working, but that sounds like a less than ideal scenario on top of being more work. I could see them releasing Galaxy 2 as DLC that doesn't work on the Lite/handheld mode or they could implement some sort of control as mentioned. Either way, it's not as straight forward as with SMG1.

True, it's never required to run while using the cursor, but the game was designed for you to do both at the same time. Lots of boss arenas have star bit crystals that you can smash and then have to evade the boss while moving the cursor to pick up the bits.

I'm not sure it's ever required for Yoshi to be running while using his tongue. Of course it's always helpful, but they could have just changed it so his tongue shoots out in front of him (a la Sunshine/Odyssey) instead of only eating enemies you aim at. That could work for the tongue pulling mechanic as well. As for the flower grapples, I don't think the analogue stick or jump button are required for those sections, meaning they could be touch controlled.

Edit: I forgot about the special Yoshi fruits. Those sections would be more difficult, but still possible I think.

Last edited:

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
So I've never played Galaxy 2 and there's no way for me to do so now....they're going to release it eventually....right?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard to be excited about this after seeing all the details. In particular, Mario 64 being presented in 4:3 is inexcusable. These games deserve better.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017

Personally I'd go the other way and slamdunk Galaxy 1 & 2 into the garbage bin for updates to SM64 & Sunshine.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Yes, 64 and Sunshine can get remakes down the line while a more basic remaster is enough for the Galaxy games

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Those who never grew up with Sunshine should know the pain of those fludd-less levels without any further QoL improvements.