• Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 448 21.6%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 475 22.9%

• Total voters

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Being able to play Galaxy with spin mapped to a button instead of waggle is a delight.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Stop stalking me.

I wouldn't mind but you're also responding to posts from people saying how much they like Galaxy and even did just a few posts back

Ultimately Galaxy is more widely liked than Sunshine, reviewed better than Sunshine, sold better than Sunshine etc etc.

And there's nothing you can do about it :)
Come on dude what's the deal? You're coming off really aggressive over a difference of opinions. What's with that last line?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I still hate this bastard penguin in Cool, Cool Mountain just as much as I did in '96.

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
Stop stalking me.

I wouldn't mind but you're also responding to posts from people saying how much they like Galaxy and even did just a few posts back

Ultimately Galaxy is more widely liked than Sunshine, reviewed better than Sunshine, sold better than Sunshine etc etc.

it's just a video game god damn

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
Revisiting Galaxy after so many years has been an absolute joy.

The soundtrack, the level variety and challenge levels, and the whole dream-like ethereal vibe to the game is just outstanding.

One of the best Mario games and the finest one in this collection.

Oct 27, 2017
i have been playing the pachinko level for maybe an hour. why am i subjecting myself to this.

you know, sunshine is probably my favorite game on this collection, yet this might be my least favorite 3d mario level of all time. it's legitimately broken.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Eh, to me it just has so much more mechanics/power ups to engage with that Mario's more limited moveset doesn't really bother me. Bee Mario, Boo Mario, Ice Mario, Fire Mario, Spring Mario. Pull Stars, Sling Pods, Flipswitches, Topmen, Bob-ombs, Shells, Shrinking panels, Floaty fluff, Bomb-boos, sand tornadoes, gravity switching, bullet bill leading, coconut smashing, Ray surfing, ball rolling, bubble blowing, ice skating. A couple of those only appear in like one or two levels. It just makes the game feel fresh constantly.
Yeah, one thing i will give it and all 3D Mario games after Galaxy is that they do crank up the variety to 11.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Stop stalking me.

You're acting rather pathetic.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Took care of the Pachinko level in Sunshine this morning. Actually wasn't too bad, with the shoddy camera work and futzed up physics being the real impediment to completion. I recall having much more trouble on Gamecube, but all my deaths here were easily due to the air control not functioning properly after launch(Mario strangely maintains heavy momentum after launch that sort of magnetizes to certain fixtures that fusses with the hover pack). You can really tell the hover pack is having issues managing against whatever nonsense Nintendo programmed into the handling of that table.

Outside of that, quite enjoying Sunshine this second time around. Used to be one of my most disappointing sequels when it launched, but 64's shadow was immense and the issues felt magnified in that hype period at GC release.

Now though, I can really appreciate all the effort that did go into building worlds and a hub that feels far more interactive and inviting to explore. Some nice surprises to find, and very little of it feels like total freebies unlike so much of Odyssey. Sunshine has lower lows(and boy some stuff is baaad), but the highs are stronger and more consistent. I walk away more satisfied with my sessions here than I did Odyssey.

Still wish some aspects were updated though. Cutscene skip, invert option, a dedicated 'jump out of water' button instead of that need to stop moving to avoid a paddlestroke instead. Make talking to NPC's a bit snappier and less annoying to line up properly. Just a ton of little nitpicks beyond those. But yea, really enjoying my revisit with this one.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Lol those enemies are what you should be using to shoot him out of the sky. Pick one up, look for where he's hovering and shoot him down.

I feel like both of you guys are overcomplicating it? You only need the enemy to wake him up, and then you can let him fly into the town and they're not a bother anymore. And you can just spray him with a really haphazard water blast and he falls to the ground easy.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played through the first two sections of Galaxy, really not feeling the hype with this game. It's definitely fun and all but the linear level design pales in comparison to 3D Land/World imo. Constantly hopping from one planetoid to the next kind of hurts the pacing as well. There's only been one slightly challenging level so far (the candy themed one), and the levels don't have a lot in the way of optional challenges (like the star coins or red/blue coins from other games). Maybe this changes as the game progresses, idk.

I'm enjoying it but it's not as mind-blowing as I expected I guess.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that one! And same, although the aiming is not a problem per-say but these damn bubble enemies always interrupt me.
Lmao i thought i needed to knock down petey with the bubble enemies each time, didnt realize i could just knock him down with water. Wow. It was still absolutely a pain though even after realizing that lol.

Jan 3, 2018
Going from 64 to Galaxy and Mario feels reeeeeeally sluggish. Gonna take some getting used to. Honestly, I know the game's great but between the slow gameplay, cutscenes and interruptions, bad first level, reliance on motion controls and Mario's general sluggishness, Galaxy really does have the weakest start of the three games. At least it gets better as it goes on.

...in Galaxy 2.

I remember thinking this the first time I played it in 2007. I soon adjusted to it, but nothing compares to the speed and fluidity you can achieve in M64. Maybe they had to slow Mario down for Galaxy because you'd probably get sick moving around a sphere any faster.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel like both of you guys are overcomplicating it? You only need the enemy to wake him up, and then you can let him fly into the town and they're not a bother anymore. And you can just spray him with a really haphazard water blast and he falls to the ground easy.
I guess you can but the pink things let you shoot him down from basically anywhere, you can of course just spray him down but there is a supply of the pink things down at ground level. But yeah despite me pulling my hair out elsewhere in this game sometimes this was quick and easy.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
You shouldn't loose a live when you fall down in these Galaxy levels of Sunshine.

That's some extra bullshit with cream on top.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Preordered digitally and found out it was limited till march and wound up getting a physical against the odds locally.
Nice!

Loving this. Mario 64 camera aint much better sadly.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Finally finished Super Mario 64 and got all stars.
I like the "nostalgia" feeling of this more than the graphics and content of the DS version but the controls/camera are absolutely ass so I would rather play the latter.
Favorite level: Don't really have one but the one I had most fun in are definitely Lethal Lava Land and Tall, Tall Mountain.
Worst level: FUCK SHIFTING SAND LAND. Cool, Cool Mountain is a close second.

Now onto Sunshine, never played it before but I can't wait to 100% :D

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know if they've cleaned up some of the bugs in Sunshine? I legit love that game but the last time I played it (around three years ago, on Wii) I encountered a bunch of stuff like collision issues, falling through the floor in some cases, and I'm sure some other things I'm forgetting. Does it feel more polished?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's almost jarring how well Mario controls. It's been said a thousand times already but damn, just feels so good. Then you hit the camera lol.

Mandelbrot

Sep 16, 2019
I hate the swimming in Mario 64. And I'm pretty sure they did not fix the hitbox bug of the manta ray rings in Dire Dire Docks.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Polished off 64 today. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it holds up and how engaging I found the gameplay.

Mario controls very well, though I do think subsequent games easily surpass what's on offer here.

The camera is alright... to begin with. But as the game becomes more punishing and it starts to serve up more interior environments, it falls apart.

It's never quite right. It's not so bad as to make the game feel unplayable, but it's a flaw that sticks out more and more as you play.

I also felt the early worlds were much more enjoyable than those in the back half of the game and while Peach's Castle is charming, it does quickly become quite sterile.

Easily the worst of the 3D Mario games for me, so I'm glad it's over. But I do appreciate what it did and how well many aspects have aged.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sirena beach in sunshine is so good, even if the camera goes bananas occasionally in the hotel. it's such a lighthearted, funny level.

The hotel music is one of my favorite tracks in the game personally. I feel like it's the haunted mansion of Sunshine, not just because of the Boos but because of the rooms/doors and secret pathways. I wonder if this is how the level was conceived?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Played through the first two sections of Galaxy, really not feeling the hype with this game. It's definitely fun and all but the linear level design pales in comparison to 3D Land/World imo. Constantly hopping from one planetoid to the next kind of hurts the pacing as well. There's only been one slightly challenging level so far (the candy themed one), and the levels don't have a lot in the way of optional challenges (like the star coins or red/blue coins from other games). Maybe this changes as the game progresses, idk.

I'm enjoying it but it's not as mind-blowing as I expected I guess.
It gets a bit more difficult and opens up in terms of optional stuff as you go on, but it sounds like you'd be a Galaxy 2 person lol.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
To present myself as the counter to an above post, I love the way swimming feels in 64, that rhythm man, you get the timing on the strokes down for that speed burst and it's all like "WUUURP,WUUURP,WUURP"
This is how SM64 can get away with having a side stage that's literally just a cube filled with water.

That said, it's a shame M64's water sections never really do anything interesting out of having some satisfying movement , and I'd be lying if I didn't notice that making smaller movements wasn't a bit fiddly, which probably explains actually why most of 64's water is open space.
Unfortunately Dire Dire Docks is still the worst stage and the ultimate example of how the game does nothing with the water really.

--

And a random side thought on Sunshine, it's interesting how this is the only Mario platformer where the abstract is thrown out in favour of creating a sense of place, all the main stages are landmarks populated with NPCs, bottomless pits are rare because they don't gel with the rest of the world design and as such classic platforming is shifted to the FLUDD-less voids, it's such a notable one off in the entire platforming series including 2D Mario.
As I go through 64 and am reminded how many stars are "do what you just did but do one thing different/go left instead of right" I kinda respect how Sunshine isn't nearly as heavy on that with just its obligatory race sections being that same kind of approach mostly.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
First time playing through Sunshine, I don't understand the hate this game gets. Seems pretty good to me. Camera controls are meh, but that's par for the course in Mario games.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I mistakenly assumed that Super Mario Galaxy would be optimized for a normal controller. It's been hard getting used to it. I never owned a Wii so I've never experienced it in it's original form. I hope I grow to like it, I've wanted to play this game for a decade plus.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I mistakenly assumed that Super Mario Galaxy would be optimized for a normal controller. It's been hard getting used to it. I never owned a Wii so I've never experienced it in it's original form. I hope I grow to like it, I've wanted to play this game for a decade plus.
It feels great with the pro controller. I love pressing y instead of shaking the controller.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
It feels great with the pro controller. I love pressing y instead of shaking the controller.

I've having a difficult time with any of the pointing controls. I just started so maybe I'll get used to it, but picking up star bits/shooting star bits and the ones where you point and grab onto a point to move Mario have been really frustrating for me so far.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It gets a bit more difficult and opens up in terms of optional stuff as you go on, but it sounds like you'd be a Galaxy 2 person lol.
Maybe so, I'm looking forward to getting into that one after I finish Galaxy since so many people say it's better. There just seems to be a lot of focus on Mario like...zipping around in space while the player does nothing but collect some star bits.