Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of great new stuff.

It's too bad that we didn't get a whole new style, but World Builder is awesome.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I can't help but feel that if the world feature had been there day 1, MM2 would have been a much larger success. I get that this is Nintendo's style now (release an okay game, and then keep people playing with free updates for a while that make it much better) but it really ended up backfiring here.

A game like Super Mario Maker can still excel after the fact if the updates are good. This one is incredible, who knows, maybe it starts to do better. I am sad it got less than a year of updates.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I am surprised Nintendo actually made the World Maker mode. I always thought they'd be too afraid of people just being able to remake old games in their entirety while at the same time making the prospect of new 2D Marios less exciting. Very cool, even if it ends up limited to only 8 worlds per profile.

Jan 29, 2018
That looks awesome. I haven't checked in one the game in a while, but I definitely want to see what people do with this stuff.

It's disappointing that SMB2 never got its own separate style, that seemed like a given. Hopefully the SMB2 mushroom comes with the music!

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
This is gonna be the real shit, where I can play a series of levels from good content creators in a more digestible format. Great fucking update!

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have an urge do design an entire sequel to Zelda 2 now, complete with an overworld. This game is incredible!

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I almost cried watching the map part of that video, I've been wanting this since day one of the original game. Arguably I've been wanting this for something like 30 years, ever since I started drawing Mario levels in graph pads. It's just too bad this came out so late, there's no way I'm going to build up the initiative to actually exploit it as much as I wish I would. But grade school Tathanen is smiling.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I think the only things I was really hoping for that are truly missing now are:
  • The remaining missing Power-Ups from each theme (Tanooki Suit, Hammer Suit, Ice Flower, Penguin Suit and Mini Mushroom)
  • Some additional enemies (Chargin' Chuck, Swoop, Fuzzy, Scuttlebug, Ptooie)
  • A full SMB2 theme (shame various circumstances led to this being scrapped, if Imran's info is correct)
  • More Crossover Power-Ups (was really hoping for Kirby in SMB3 and Samus in SMW)
This update covers so much content I really wanted to see that I can't be mad about any of this stuff being missing though.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the SMB2 mechanics are recycled from a planned official SMB2 mode that got scrapped.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I already watched the trailer 3 times and I'm still like fuuuuuuuuuuuck this is awesome

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Is this a joke post I'm not getting, cause this update is insane.

No, it's not a joke. I'm deadass serious, it's weird AF to me that we only got like two content updates and they're stopping, while with MM1 we got tons more with lots of mystery mushrooms to unlock, nintendo themed courses around them, and the fly minigame getting upgraded. MM2 had a beefy single player campaign, a very fun (tho laggy) online race mode, and a lot more creation tools to mess around with. But I can't help but feel it had stuff scaled back a tiny bit from the original?

Like woo, Nintendo took too many months to add friend races or the link costume from Mario Maker 1 (only now he can attack). Then this update comes and it's the biggest and coolest update so far! But it's also the last one. Literally right as the updates got big, they ended them. I was hoping for quarterly updates or something, maybe until the end of the year where they could add a bunch of cool stuff like some more costumes or the Game Boy games as styles, or heck, the return of the Mystery Mushroom costumes, even without fancy gimmicks or attacks. I'm still kinda shocked they just killed off that feature even if I find the single player a suitable content replacement due to how many levels there are (very good ones at that!)

But IDK. Should it be a crime that I was hoping for more updates like this, or paid DLC? My friend and I had a blast over the summer, taking turns to 100 everything, then when the first update hit we played for like two hours and didn't bother doing much because there was little of substance and the speedruns weren't really as solid as the core single player levels. We were waiting for new styles or some new Online MP features before we would jump back in... and we only got pieces of one and not much to the online MP itself. I do think though, that we'll spend more time taking turns racing online than with update 1, since all the new powerups and such means crazier levels and thus more renewed fun to race online. ...Whenever my friend is willing to come over to my house again that is.

But IDK. I just remember constantly playing MM1 for hours on end with every update and mystery mushroom batch, trying to hunt them down or play themed levels around them (And I STILL never got them all, which means I can at least go back and work more towards getting them all in 1). But with 2 it feels like they cut it off super early, revive it out of the blue only to finish it off way too early. I can't fathom them making a Mario Maker 3 on the Switch, so what gives? Maybe it's because of how long these updates took to come out to begin with, but it just feels all odd to me, and it's perfectly understandable to be bummed that MM2's support is lesser than Mario Maker 1 in some ways.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn, I never thought they'd add a map maker, let alone put it into online because let's face it, the commitment of playing through a randos entire slew of stages is unlikely to be seen through.
Definitely an option where you stick fully to recommendations I imagine.

Power ups are more my jam here, and one for each style to, been waiting on the frog suit for tonks, super acorn feels like it should've been in at launch on the original WiiU game and have they gone and made the P balloon actually fun?! Can't wait, this stuff is hype!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I didn't even notice that On/Off Blocks were finally added to the 3D World Theme.

Don't know who in their right mind decided to exclude those in the first place.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Hot damn, I never thought they'd add a map maker, let alone put it into online because let's face it, the commitment of playing through a randos entire slew of stages is unlikely to be seen through.
Definitely an option where you stick fully to recommendations I imagine.

Power ups are more my jam here, and one for each style to, been waiting on the frog suit for tonks, super acorn feels like it should've been in at launch on the original WiiU game and have they gone and made the P balloon actually fun?! Can't wait, this stuff is hype!

They probably chose the propeller suit over the super acorn back in mm1 so it would be more distinct from the cape.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
I just want it to be fun to play content from creators. SMM2 hasn't really had great stuff from the user created side, it probably exists but I'm not seeing/playing them. Hope this shines more light on great levels to play

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
There goes any hope they'd add more themes. People were super insistent that because the 3D World theme was in its own category, more stuff would be added to that category as DLC.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that is still missing to me though, music, more music!
Always felt like another wheel of handheld themes made perfect sense, we don't even have the standard NSMB theme

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I just want it to be fun to play content from creators. SMM2 hasn't really had great stuff from the user created side, it probably exists but I'm not seeing/playing them. Hope this shines more light on great levels to play

With the ability to make world maps you will see a lot more quality worlds. One maker I follow who makes incredible levels in a a world style structure. He is 100% going to upload his levels in this world maker. Once it drops if you pop by MakerEra you'll see a lot of incredible projects. Also reddit. And I have a list of Makers to follow on Era with really high quality content.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
WHAT THE EVERLIVING FUCK. I'm already losing it at Mario 2 Mushroom, Frog Suit and freaking Koopalings, and the video isn't halfway through. :O

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
One thing that is still missing to me though, music, more music!
Always felt like another wheel of handheld themes made perfect sense, we don't even have the standard NSMB theme

More music and more backgrounds would have been such easy wins. That said, they said it's the last major update but we may get some surprises especially if sales pick up.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
No, it's not a joke. I'm deadass serious, it's weird AF to me that we only got like two content updates and they're stopping, while with MM1 we got tons more with lots of mystery mushrooms to unlock, nintendo themed courses around them, and the fly minigame getting upgraded. MM2 had a beefy single player campaign, a very fun (tho laggy) online race mode, and a lot more creation tools to mess around with. But I can't help but feel it had stuff scaled back a tiny bit from the original?

How can it be scaled down when at launch it had pretty much all the same features and more and then later added even more.

But IDK. Should it be a crime that I was hoping for more updates like this, or paid DLC?

No, it's just dumb, if the game updates are always free asking for paid DLC is asking for being scammed and that shouldn't be normalized.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
maybe what we're getting is what he heard though. as in, he misinterpreted.

i mean, thrown out the door? we didnt even know it existed until today. what was the rush?
Probably cut short to move manpower elsewhere. Employees working from home definitely changed a lot in terms of development.

Doesn't help that MM2 probably didn't sell as well as they thought it would.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Incredible update. Holy shit. I really hope they bring back the bookmark feature from the original. Bookmarking whole worlds from my phone to play later would be a dream.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Final update already? Even the OG Mario Maker had way more updates, way more content and way more stuff to unlock. They're really going to leave that "Extra Game Styles" section incomplete? Man, what could have happened... I thought this game sold well.

Unsure how this'll hold up since I 100%ed the single player mode and have nothing to do except VS mode since there's no mystery mushrooms to unlock, but maybe if someone makes a cool set of worlds I'll give them a spin. Depends on the creativity (and thankfully, MM2 is way better with that than MM1 which just had autolevels from hell)

I agree 1000%.

The update looks great but the fact that it's the final one really blows.

Less than a years worth of support? Really?

Media Molecule were releasing new updates to LBP2 like 4 years after release.

The fact that we're never going to get any new styles is such a massive disappointment.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Probably cut short to move manpower elsewhere. Employees working from home definitely changed a lot in terms of development.

Doesn't help that MM2 probably didn't sell as well as they thought it would.

I don't get what's with this narrative that it didn't sell as well as they expected when in a few months it surpassed the original game's sales.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I'll back Imran's statement. An event in April pertaining to Mario's 2020 was planned. Based on the timing of this news and the MK Tour news, it is safe to assume it has been broken up and will trickle out over an extended period of time.