• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I dunno, the modern mario sprite & that flyer (the one that had the SMBDX luigi sprite) with 8bit builder mario makes me think costumes are back. Or at least some of them, the mario & mario-adjacent ones.
Well, the modern Mario sprite is for Big Mario (which was in the orignal Mario Maker) and... I think that there might be a brand new "Builder" power-up in this game. Having an 8-Bit Builder Mario on the flyer, and having Toad wear the full builder outfit while "on the stage" in the full official artwork makes me think the possibility is there.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Costumes better be back. They have so many new outfits from Odyssey they made 8 bit sprites for.
You can even theme levels around them. Make a spooky level with Zombie Mario or Skeleton Mario. Make a space level with Astronaut Mario. Make a Dark Souls themed level with Knight Mario in Bowser's Castle, etc.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Costumes better be back. They have so many new outfits from Odyssey they made 8 bit sprites for.
You can even theme levels around them. Make a spooky level with Zombie Mario or Skeleton Mario. Make a space level with Astronaut Mario. Make a Dark Souls themed level with Knight Mario in Bowser's Castle, etc.
I mean, they never really did that many variants on a single character in the original game (like, there were maybe 6 or 7 Mario costumes, and four Yoshi costumes). Also the Odyssey sprites are for Super Mario, while the SMM costumes go over Small Mario, so they would need to remake them anyway.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the modern Mario sprite is for Big Mario (which was in the orignal Mario Maker) and... I think that there might be a brand new "Builder" power-up in this game. Having an 8-Bit Builder Mario on the flyer, and having Toad wear the full builder outfit while "on the stage" in the full official artwork makes me think the possibility is there.
I think there's something else going on with "Big Mario" because Big Mario in the original game transformed all the enemies, and applied a CRT filter.
What I was thinking was that the Big Mushroom might now be a normal power up (with the mario & CRT stuff being amiibo big mushroom exclusive) that can apply to anything. So if you're in a costume....you just become bigger, instead of it being overwritten to big mario specifically.

I suppose Builder being a new power up is possible, but Builder Toad has also been used as artwork in other contexts.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I think there's something else going on with "Big Mario" because Big Mario in the original game transformed all the enemies, and applied a CRT filter.
What I was thinking was that the Big Mushroom might now be a normal power up (with the mario & CRT stuff being amiibo big mushroom exclusive) that can apply to anything. So if you're in a costume....you just become bigger, instead of it being overwritten to big mario specifically.

I suppose Builder being a new power up is possible, but Builder Toad has also been used as artwork in other contexts.
It's possible that they just simplified the Big Mushroom to be more usable (probably with a time limit as well), but whatever it is, i'm sure that it won't stack over another Power-Up/Costume (like in the original).

Well actually, the Builder Toad in the SMM2 artwork has a different design from the one present in the original SMM:
Builder_Toad.png

The main difference is that Blue Toad has a unique logo on their helmet and hammer instead of the generic Mario 'M'. That at least means that Blue Toad will likely be playable, but wouldn't an icon on their helmet also be useful for making their in-game appearance unique?

There's also the giant-sized hammer, which would probably be the main ability of the Builder Power-Up.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible that they just simplified the Big Mushroom to be more usable (probably with a time limit as well), but whatever it is, i'm sure that it won't stack over another Power-Up/Costume (like in the original).

Well actually, the Builder Toad in the SMM2 artwork has a different design from the one present in the original SMM:

The main difference is that Blue Toad has a unique logo on their helmet and hammer instead of the generic Mario 'M'. That at least means that Blue Toad will likely be playable, but wouldn't an icon on their helmet also be useful for making their in-game appearance unique?

There's also the giant-sized hammer, which would probably be the main ability of the Builder Power-Up.
The other contexts meaning like that stylus where they used the blue toad cosntruction outfit alongside the toadette construction outfit carrying boxes, not in comparison to older games

As an aside, I hope that the SMM2 site update is like. Good. Have you guys looked at the SMM1 sites? They're pretty bare bones.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The other contexts meaning like that stylus where they used the blue toad cosntruction outfit alongside the toadette construction outfit carrying boxes, not in comparison to older games
I don't see the use of the builder Toad render there as confirming or denying any possibility. Obviously the render could just simply represent Toad building the stages, but the giant hammer and the fact that he is placed in the background "on the stage" itself makes me think something else is happening.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to see how Toad and Toadette are translated backwards in time to playable sprites in SMB1, 3, and World. Curious if they give us character abilities or if every character plays the same for multiplayer's sake.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the use of the builder Toad render there as confirming or denying any possibility. Obviously the render could just simply represent Toad building the stages, but the giant hammer and the fact that he is placed in the background "on the stage" itself makes me think something else is happening.
I agree it doesn't confirm/deny, just bringing up a possibilty that being in the level doesn't confirm it either.

I'm excited to see how Toad and Toadette are translated backwards in time to playable sprites in SMB1, 3, and World. Curious if they give us character abilities or if every character plays the same for multiplayer's sake.
i cant wait to see everyone get capes

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Can Nintendo just steal the idea for Ultimate Chicken Horse and just make it into a competitive multiplayer mode it this game?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
We don't need to go that far, just implement the same multi-player as in New Super Mario Bros (DS VS. Mode) with custom levels and I would be so happy.
I don't think they would go with that either. Probably just a variant of the coin battle mode from the console New series games. Whoever collects the most coins wins.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Try telling that to Animal Crossing fans.

Or Fire Emblem fans before E3 2018

Smash Ultimate had to wait 3 months as well before they got any actual footage.

It's not that bad all honestly lol. We'll get a blow out near release.
I am an Animal Crossing fan. Much bigger than I am a Mario Maker fan. But Animal Crossing has E3 for an info blowout since it'll release in Q3 at the very earliest. SMM2 doesn't really have that luxury since it releases in June.

Oct 26, 2017
I am an Animal Crossing fan. Much bigger than I am a Mario Maker fan. But Animal Crossing has E3 for an info blowout since it'll release in Q3 at the very earliest. SMM2 doesn't really have that luxury since it releases in June.
They can just do a mini Direct anytime from now till E3. There's no pressing need for them to do an info blowout atm. Information travels fast nowadays and games don't need an extended hype cycle anymore

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with Gamexplain that those vines in the SMW screenshot are not piranha creepers; the most obvious fact being that piranha creepers are 2 blocks wide and thos vines are 1 block wide. I've recreated what's going on in that shot in SMM1 to illustrate:

D5UfreVWkAAn57S.jpg

nX9QIgf.jpg

SMB3 underwater style shows it best, When a group of blocks form a shape at least 2 spaces tall and 3 spaces wide they combine into yellow ground. anything smaller appears as pink/white coral rings. In the case of the SMM2 screenshot. Ground blocks in groups of 2x3 or bigger become clouds, while anything thinner becomes vines.

The rainbows are semisolid platforms. Though technically that look isn't completely new. This is a level in NSLU:
geiMGju.jpg

Now, multiple possibilities.
  1. There is a new sky theme. It using the same background as airship isn't a big deal because that background is the best for it and it's no different from SMB1 or SMB3 backgrounds being blue or black across multiple themes.
  2. You can choose terrain/background themes.
With the new NSMBU screenshot showing Mario "swimming" in space it appears to be a space theme, however in the previous shot it used the NSMBU jungle terrian which doesn't really fit. So I think that leans towards being able to mix and match backgrounds and terrain. So you could make a jungle level with a space background or make a castle with a sky background.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
  1. There is a new sky theme. It using the same background as airship isn't a big deal because that background is the best for it and it's no different from SMB1 or SMB3 backgrounds being blue or black across multiple themes.
  2. You can choose terrain/background themes.
With the new NSMBU screenshot showing Mario "swimming" in space it appears to be a space theme, however in the previous shot it used the NSMBU jungle terrian which doesn't really fit. So I think that leans towards being able to mix and match backgrounds and terrain. So you could make a jungle level with a space background or make a castle with a sky background.
But how does that latter option explain the rainbow semi-solid platform? I think this being a sky theme is the likely option.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
But how does that latter option explain the rainbow semi-solid platform? I think this being a sky theme is the likely option.
Well, it would be nice to have more than 3 semisolids per them or be able to mix those, too.

I think you're misunderstanding my mix and match option. With that there really is a space theme and sky theme unto themselves and you can mix elements between themes. Like Jungle terrain with Space background.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that we are getting unique character skills, the main reason being that they went Toadette over Peach. Toadette and Toad are perfect if you want the character to have the same basic abilites

They could have easily had Peach without her float, just like they'll probably have Luigi without his signature high jumps. I hope Peach is unlockable or DLC down the line. So annoyed they went with two Toads again.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Well, it would be nice to have more than 3 semisolids per them or be able to mix those, too.
I'll accept the "more than 3 semi-solids" option, but that leaves me with two follow-up questions:
  • What are the cloud platforms in the screenshot? Most likely option is simply the regular ground for the sky theme.
  • Assuming there is no sky theme, and the Airship theme only has the original three semis-solid designs: what theme would the rainbow platform come from if they were mixing assets around? (because this seems to be the second scenario you are presenting here)

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I'll accept the "more than 3 semi-solids" option, but that leaves me with two follow-up questions:
  • What are the cloud platforms in the screenshot? Most likely option is simply the regular ground for the sky theme.
  • Assuming there is no sky theme, and the Airship theme only has the original three semis-solid designs: what theme would the rainbow platform come from if they were mixing assets around? (because this seems to be the second scenario you are presenting here)
Bro
I think you're misunderstanding my mix and match option. With that there really is a space theme and sky theme
In both his guesses, a sky theme exists.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Bro

In both his guesses, a sky theme exists.
He edited that in after I started typing my reply to his post; so, sorry?

And really, that wasn't made clear when he first listed his two ideas (making it sound like it was one or the other, not "there is a Sky Theme" or "you can mix and match but there also is a sky theme too").

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
D5UfreVWkAAn57S.jpg

The rainbows are semisolid platforms. Though technically that look isn't completely new. This is a level in NSLU:
geiMGju.jpg

Wow, bolted rainbow floor tiles... How can you keep defending that game with design choices like that? ^^;
The rainbow tiles in the SMM2 screenshot look a lot nicer.
There seem to be so many cool new things we barely know anything about. Can't wait for the big info blow out.
Any info on when the pre orders go up on the eShop? I want that SMM Stylus!

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
He edited that in after I started typing my reply to his post, sorry.

And really, that wasn't made clear when he first listed his two ideas (making it sound like it was one or the other, not "there is a Sky Theme" or "you can mix and match but there also is a sky theme too").
Ah, my bad. Loaded the page at the wrong time.

I think he's on to something, though. It seems we've seen the space background with jungle and castle terrain; either this is something unique to space, or you can mix and match.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Ah, my bad. Loaded the page at the wrong time.

I think he's on to something, though. It seems we've seen the space background with jungle and castle terrain; either this is something unique to space, or you can mix and match.
I guess I can see the mix and match idea now that I understand that the Sky and Airship theme both exist in his hypothetical.

Though, since we've really only seen it with the "Space Theme" there could be other explanations. We don't see the ground in the new screenshot, so maybe the space theme does use an altered Jungle Theme ground (for some reason) but you can swap out the liquid at the bottom of the stage, which would be applicable to every theme (except Underwater, I guess).

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
It's looking amazing, can't wait to see what people come up with!

Are there still any major omissions?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, bolted rainbow floor tiles... How can you keep defending that game with design choices like that? ^^;
The rainbow tiles in the SMM2 screenshot look a lot nicer.
There seem to be so many cool new things we barely know anything about. Can't wait for the big info blow out.
Any info on when the pre orders go up on the eShop? I want that SMM Stylus!
Um, bolted tiles have been a thing since SMB3... and they're even more common in SMM2 now:
k0tAZj6.jpg

They're just rainbow colored wooden blocks. The ones in the SMM2 screen are meant to be actual rainbows and are semisolid platforms, which means you can't use them as walls or ceilings and they always have to be a square arch.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Biggest omissions right now are really just a few missing objects/enemies that should be here by now: the Lift Platforms from the original SMB still aren't in the game, and some staple enemies from later games (such as Pokey, Chargin' Chuck, Fuzzy, Shy Guy and the Koopalings) are still absent.

Mar 9, 2018
SMM1 looks so dated compared to the new hot features of SMM2.

Even my life feels so dated compared to the new hot features of SMM2.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's looking amazing, can't wait to see what people come up with!

Depends what you consider major. So from my original list of what I've wanted for the last few years:

-creating a world map
-correct mario world checkpoint
-Slopes
-Missing SMB3 powerups
-Use one games powerups in another game (ie yoshi/cape in SMB, raccoon/hammer suit in SMW etc)
-wings being usable on yoshi
-poisoned mushroom
-p wing
-on/off switch
-Tweester ⚠ (they kind of have an enemy like this, but not quite the same)
-water on land ✅ (to some extent at least)

-One way pipe
-Pipe that lets you out in the same area (as seen in the smb3 wraparound pipeworld level in ludvig von koopa's world 7) ⚠ Maybe the clear pipes will do this in other themes?
-multi coloured yoshi/koopas /w ability changes for ingested koopas ⚠ (we saw red so I assume the others are there)
-Magic ball, so you can finish levels when YOU want them to be finished ⚠ No magic ball so far, but there does seem to be changeable goals
-bosses (big boo, reznor, boom boom, kooplings) ⚠ boom boom is in
-Vertical stages /w optional wrap-around ⚠ Verticality looks to be in, but not 100% confirmed
-Desert Theme ✅
-Forest Theme

-Sky Theme ⚠ (maybe)
-Snow Theme ✅
-Night Theme (there was something like this there, so it may be in - or it may be that there are backgrounds are separate from themes now, and that each theme has
multiple backgrounds)
-Tank Theme
-Battleship theme
-Ext. Castle theme
-grab block
-3up
-dragon/star coin
-key/lock
-power balloon
-water levels that go up and down ✅
-crushing columns
-controllable coin line block
-wind
-triangle block
-CHARGIN CHUCK
-angry sun ✅
-all hammer bros (amazin/fire/boomerang/sumo etc) ⚠ (Fire Bros at least are in now)

-blargg
-thwimp
-eerie
-ninji
-boo block
-"floating" Boo Buddys (where they are not scared of you, but also move randomly, seen in SMW ghost houses)
-pokey
-nipper/fire nipper
-block goomba
-mechakoopa
-fishin lakitu/boo
-red pirahna plants that ignore whether you are near a pipe (SMB2/LL)
-jumping pirahana plants (though I guess wings kind of emulate this)
-ptooie
-rotating cannon
-fire snake
-flame chomp
-rotodisc

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Um, bolted tiles have been a thing since SMB3... and they're even more common in SMM2 now:
k0tAZj6.jpg

They're just rainbow colored wooden blocks. The ones in the SMM2 screen are meant to be actual rainbows and are semisolid platforms, which means you can't use them as walls or ceilings and they always have to be a square arch.

I'm aware that bolted tiles are a thing in SMM/SMM2/Mario games in general. But those NSLU rainbow tiles are some of the ugliest tiles I've ever seen in a Mario game...

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
At this point, I guess there are only three more level themes that I want. The "dream" line-up would be:
  • Ground
  • Underground
  • Underwater
  • Castle
  • Ghost House
  • Airship
  • Desert
  • Snow
  • Forest
  • Mountain
  • Beach
  • Sky
  • Lava
  • Space
Fourteen would be more than double the original game though, but we'll see what happens. 11 (our current count) would be an odd number to stop on though.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I never really got in to the first game for some reason, but this one has me very hyped! Probably because of the 3d world theme.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Also, the SMW "Sky Theme" is using cloud terrain tiles from a few levels of SMW:
https://i.imgur.com/MarUGh7.jpg

The vines are new. I assume the slopes will be like that. Here's a hacked level using these assets:

This terrain was rare in SMW, but it makes sense to utilize it if they're giving SMW a sky theme since it really never had one.

SMB maybe do something with these:
6D4aQ2O.png

or maybe use Doki Doki panic cloud tiles.

SMB3 will probably do something like this:
eB8Z7x0.png

NSMBU's will probably use the Meringue Clouds ground:
LbjcfVjl.jpg

I'd love if this stormy sky was an option.

3D World is a bit of a mystery. With 3D World apparently subbing in Bowser Land for Airship it seems like 3D World style is limited to levels 3D World had, and while 3D World had a cloud world it didn't really have cloud levels.
The closest are these cloud bonus levels:
917906-super-mario-3d-world-wii-u-screenshot-running-on-a-bonus-cloud.png

This is the closest to a sky theme level in 3D World and would probably be the best bet:
UjqCzTc.jpg

Or maybe something like this:
pfmYd6T.jpg

Which is good. It was always annoying that you had to use airship parts as ground in Airship Theme in SMM1, especially when the start and end points of the level teased you with ground

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.

Strange that builder Toad doesn't just remove his mushroom hat and place the helmet directly on his head.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Decided I will be going with the digital limited edition. I really want the stylus and a year of Switch online being bundled in will be nice to have peace of mind over. Hopefully it won't be more than £60 though.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The issue with a game like this is that tools have to be restricted so people keep buying new Mario games. It would be no good to allow us to make full on Mario games surpassing whatever Nintendo puts out.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The issue with a game like this is that tools have to be restricted so people keep buying new Mario games. It would be no good to allow us to make full on Mario games surpassing whatever Nintendo puts out.
The funny thing about this point is that Nintendo hasn't actually released a new original 2D Mario game since the original SMM in 2015.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

It's Nintendo's answer to rom hacks. Still I'm also looking forward to a new entry, it's about time to step beyond the NEW SM games and come up with a bigger jump.