• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I think the only things in SMM2 that annoy or bother me at this point is random enemy spam, millions of invisible blocks and soft locks, and pointless simple bowser fights.

I would seriously not bat an eye if all bowsers were removed from the game.
*sweating profusely* the stage I just posted had a point to its simple Bowser fight, I—I swear

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Clear rate isn't = design quality, though. It's abundantly clear that the "high score" nature of endless makes people hit skip the very second they get any kind of decent pushback on a level, so they can move on to something potentially easier instead of wasting lives. I've first cleared some absolutely banging levels that had something like 1200 attempts and 1 like and it was truly astounding to me how it could have happened, but the more I dropped in on streamers running for high scores in endless the clearer it became.

You can't even get in Endless until you get at least one clear. So it is bad or at least questionable design if you have 1000 tries with no one completing the level.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm on the path of creating a full world of levels right now. So far World 1 is compete. I don't have any fancy screenshots, but the idea is these are all based on classic style levels. I prefer the Mario 3 style so everything is set that way.

If anyone is interested:

Vanilla Plains:
1-1: 5P8-LLL-QDG
1-2: NL7-XD2-L3G
1-3: GTJ-0C6-WWF
1-4: 9GX-SWK-DRF

Next up will be the Chocolate Caverns. Which I expect to have done around Thursday or Friday.

You can't even get in Endless until you get at least one clear. So it is bad or at least questionable design if you have 1000 tries with no one completing the level.
That can't be right because I was playing Endless last night on a more than challenging level and when I beat it I got a "First to Complete" notice.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
*sweating profusely* the stage I just posted had a point to its simple Bowser fight, I—I swear

Honestly the only ones that really bother me is having a long level and at the end just plopping a giant bowser with infinite fire flowers that keep replenishing. At that point they're just tedious and usually nothing more than a time waste until you get a key.

There's a lot of levels who use them for pretty good boss battles, the giant bowser and fire flower are just the most common and most pointless.

That can't be right because I was playing Endless last night on a more than challenging level and when I beat it I got a "First to Complete" notice.

Yeah, it's not one clear it needs. It needs to have been played before though and most likely a heart.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Honestly the only ones that really bother me is having a long level and at the end just plopping a giant bowser with infinite fire flowers that keep replenishing. At that point they're just tedious and usually nothing more than a time waste until you get a key.

There's a lot of levels who use them for pretty good boss battles, the giant bowser and fire flower are just the most common and most pointless.

Yeah, it's not one clear it needs. It needs to have been played before though and most likely a heart.
No, I agree. I just thought it was a funny coincidence that the first time I ever use Bowser that gets posted immediately after.

Giant Bowser with no other modifications is not fun. Giant CAT Bowser, who keeps leaving the screen and extending the fight? That's great! Put three of them in randomly!

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Just giving this a quick bump for the daytime crowd!
Oubliette
H77-GJT-4PF

So, I was going to make a nice 3D World level, but it just wasn't happening, so I made this creepy thing instead. Mario goes for a nice hike in the mountains, but ends up falling into a dark and eldritch pit... I underestimated how much work it would take to do a vertically scrolling level without having the player bump their head on unseen obstacles, so it took hours to get right. I'd say it's moderately hard, shouldn't trouble anyone here too much but will probably end up with about a 10-20% clear rate.

Played it last evening and liked it. Awesome work with the atmosphere. I liked the fact that the beginning and the ending of the descend/ascend had icy parts, so when I climbed up again the scenery slowly turned ice-themed again alerting me that I was nearing the top. Nice touch.

So after spending a better part of a week on my fifth level I decided to try to make a level much faster this time for my sixth.

Winged Bomb Skyway
EOyUj79.jpg

TQG-WLS-KMF
Description: Make it across the perilous skyway these peculiar Bob-ombs call home!

Wanted to do something pretty straight forward and then used winged Bob-ombs as the hook. I think it's pretty fun, though the last section can get a little tricky.
Very fun and intensive stage. Also a great speedrunning course. Wasn't too easy or too hard. Solid middleground difficulty wise!

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Well, I finally uploaded my third level in the Mario the Monster Hunter series. This was originally the finale, which was in the title, but I decided to changed it since I may want to make more Monster Hunter inspire levels in different styles. I think the name changed better suites the Monster Hunter series. This one is a little harder than the other two, as would be expected, although most of the difficulty comes from Meowser being a little pussy and staying in the background so you time out. I guess kind of Monster Hunter in that sense, lol.

Anyway, please enjoy and feedback is always welcomed. It's also multiplayer friendly.....in theory.

Mario the Monster Hunter Urgent: WWX-14L-71H

And for those who want to play the other two courses of this series, here are the IDs.

Mario the Monster Hunter Quest 1: Q7R-M8V-J1H

Mario the Monster Hunter Quest 2: 75X-4BY-2SF

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need a clear, just a play.

And some levels are difficult by design. Any of Barb's levels have a less than 0.1% clear rate, but they're still popular because he's one of the few creators making well designed levels for people who want that level of difficulty.

The levels by Celeste's dev are also very popular despite their difficulty. I think his most recent is at 0.16%

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
For sure, in the extreme of literally having 0 clears. I'm saying that tries to clear ratio is meaningless when talking about quality, because people seem to give up way easier in this game. My friend has a level with 2000+ plays and 3 clears and it isn't even all that hard, but there's nothing bullshit about it, nothing ultra difficult or mind numbingly stupid, it's probably what I'd consider an average difficulty level.

I'm more making a comment on how it seems like unless your level is almost devoid of challenge, there's a very good chance your try/clear ratio will be absolute dogshit, regardless of quality.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
You don't need a clear, just a play.

And some levels are difficult by design. Any of Barb's levels have a less than 0.1% clear rate, but they're still popular because he's one of the few creators making well designed levels for people who want that level of difficulty.

It still has at least one clear. Having a 1000 tries with on one clearing it is usually a sign that something is wrong and shouldn't be chalk up to people not trying or quitting too early.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you're supposed to get to A rank in multiplayer. You need to win at least 1/3 of your matches, couple this in with completely random levels and comical lag. There's obviously skill involved, but actually winning is essentially a mini-miracle.

That said, I've run into quite a good number of multiplayer versus map. One was 1v3 focused, another was a vertical level where there were four equal areas with the same obstacles. There are a couple I've played that weren't designed for multiplayer, but somehow worked perfectly.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
For sure, in the extreme of literally having 0 clears. I'm saying that tries to clear ratio is meaningless when talking about quality, because people seem to give up way easier in this game. My friend has a level with 2000+ plays and 3 clears and it isn't even all that hard, but there's nothing bullshit about it, nothing ultra difficult or mind numbingly stupid, it's probably what I'd consider an average difficulty level.

I'm more making a comment on how it seems like unless your level is almost devoid of challenge, there's a very good chance your try/clear ratio will be absolute dogshit, regardless of quality.

That's honestly a matter of opinion. What may not seem like BS to you may be for other people. You can't say something isn't that hard when you have 3 clears out of over 2000.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
It still has at least one clear. Having a 1000 tries with on one clearing it is usually a sign that something is wrong and shouldn't be chalk up to people not trying or quitting too early.
Well I don't know how many attempts they had before their first clear, but they're averaging way under 1 in 1000

One of my favourite randomly found levels was up to 600 attempts before I got the first clear on it

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
That's honestly a matter of opinion. What may not seem like BS to you may be for other people. You can't say something isn't that hard when you have 3 clears out of over 2000.
But my point is hard doesn't = bad design. I'm not a kaizo "gotcha" fan either, so I'm not coming at this from that angle.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
But my point is hard doesn't = bad design. I'm not a kaizo "gotcha" fan either, so I'm not coming at this from that angle.

We're not talking about something being hard. We're talking about something is usually wrong with a level if it has over 1000 attempt with no clears. Some times the level could just be that hard while still being fair. Most often than not, however, there is a big flaw in the design in the level either on purpose or by accident.

Dec 18, 2018

It's not just difficulty that makes people quit. I've quit on stages that were annoying, boring or poorly designed. I've bailed on a stage that was fun and challenging, but had no checkpoint.so when I died I had to start all the way at the beginning. I felt like I was being punished.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We're not talking about something being hard. We're talking about something is usually wrong with a level if it has over 1000 attempt with no clears. Some times the level could just be that hard while still being fair. Most often than not, however, there is a big flaw in the design in the level either on purpose or by accident.
Making hard but fair kaizo is indeed hard. I got a lvl with 4k+ attempts now and while I know it's incredibly hard and it's designed like that, it's hard to be sure that it's fairly obvious what to do at every occassion. That's why I try very hard to limit the possibilities of what you actually can do personally. If you know you need to go from point x to point y, then you have set parameters to work with at least.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Sorry but there is no way an average difficulty level has 2000 attempts and 3 clears. Your definition of average difficulty is wonky. Either that or your friends level has stuff in it that is annoying and no one wants to bother grinding through. Even on Era lots of people here have dififculty figuring out what is and isnt too much challenge. I'm not buying in the hundreds of hours I've played Mario Maker that average difficulty levels get less than 1% clear rate.

People also are not giving up easier in this game. It's just that people's ultra challenging levels just aint fun 99% of the time. Its a tough pill to swallow but most of the playing base does not find grinding 1 level for hours fun. It's like in Mario Maker people think making hard and obtuse shit is a sign of great craftsmanship. There is a handful of hard levels that are good the same way there are a handfuk of traditional levels that are actually good. High skill ceiling doesnt mean well designed.

I can't do any kaizo shit but I can beat challenging levels and have first cleared tough levels. Most levels if I just sit and play it enough I can clear but I dont find trial and error fun so if I see that shit I nornally just skip it.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018
So far I've found every stage with less than 10% clearance, to be quite difficult. So I tend to avoid less than 10% stages. For me 10% - 20% seem to be the sweet spot, but I play any stage above 10%
I attempted to remake 1-1 from SMB 2. Turns out that level is massive and far too big to fit within what I had to work with in Mario Maker but I got super close and took a few liberties. I think it turned out pretty cool.

The code is YSN-Q8T-8FF if anyone is interested!
thats the idea I had last night.then I decided on either 1-1 of super Mario world or super Mario 3D world.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Just giving this a quick bump for the daytime crowd!
Oubliette
H77-GJT-4PF

So, I was going to make a nice 3D World level, but it just wasn't happening, so I made this creepy thing instead. Mario goes for a nice hike in the mountains, but ends up falling into a dark and eldritch pit... I underestimated how much work it would take to do a vertically scrolling level without having the player bump their head on unseen obstacles, so it took hours to get right. I'd say it's moderately hard, shouldn't trouble anyone here too much but will probably end up with about a 10-20% clear rate.

Played most of your levels yesterday alongside this one. Got me puzzled with the freefall at the start, had no clue I was falling into an eldritch pit! Had fun with all of them, will make sure to keep on following your work.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is what you refer to: https://imgur.com/ueilu9I (Couldn't put the imgur gif inside spoiler tags...)

I don't know how the lift was intended to work.:)

Yeah that's what I was referring to. It's hard enough for it to be an earned shortcut, I feel. :) You're supposed to
use the key to enter the room below and use an on/off switch multiple times to get a lift to the room above, so you can reach that pipe without taking damage.

By the way, I have a question for y'all. I made a VS. level but can't test it in VS. mode. The idea as that players need to reach the top, hit a P-switch there, then race back down towards the goal. But since the goal is close to the start, I worry that players will hit the switch, then kill themselves and thus skip the going down part. But I'm not sure; maybe dying resets the win- conditions (in this case: having hit the P-switch). It does so in single player, is this true for Vs. as well?

Here's the level:

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know how you're supposed to get to A rank in multiplayer. You need to win at least 1/3 of your matches, couple this in with completely random levels and comical lag. There's obviously skill involved, but actually winning is essentially a mini-miracle.

That said, I've run into quite a good number of multiplayer versus map. One was 1v3 focused, another was a vertical level where there were four equal areas with the same obstacles. There are a couple I've played that weren't designed for multiplayer, but somehow worked perfectly.

When I was at B rank and played other Bs I had win streaks more often than not and then I got put into A lobbies not even halfway through B rank, where I got rekt, loosing many times in a row. Then I got to play low Bs again which is when I started winning again. And the cycle kept going like this. It's so obvious what's happening. I hate hidden ranks so so much.

Here's a tip that helped me a lot: do not make any risky plays at all when the game style is one that allows you to grab the flag together with the person in front of you. You might not win, but you'll also not loose any points this way. Play it safe, and let the others make mistakes. When it's SMW or SMB3, just go for it, since you have nothing to loose.

Skill is definitely involved, but I would say when you are playing a level blind, it doesn't really matter if you're a kaizo master or a mediocre player like myself. Most levels are easy to actually play through. The deciding factor is to quickly assess what needs to be done in a given situation, i.e. should you go down that pipe or should I continue to the right? Will a piranha plant pop out from this pipe; should I wait and see or just jump? Is this a z-jump? Where has the creator hidden the final key coin? If you have the correct answer more often than your opponent then you will win, and this aspect comes purely from experience, not skill. The only way to get good at this is to simply play a bunch of these crappy levels over and over until you start seeing the patterns, and recognize what type of level it is based on early indications, and then be mentally prepared for what will likely happen next. It's only luck if the stage is short and easy, then the person who happened to make it out first wins, or if there is a bottleneck, like a boss room with a locked door, and you need to take out Bowser with fire flowers. That scenario is 100% luck based, since whoever gets the kill shot gets the key, and then good luck avoiding everyone trying to steal it. Whoever then manages to enter the door first is guaranteed the win because the door is always placed next to the flag. I totally agree that it's very awful to loose in this way.

Also: read the title of the level. If it says 1-1 SMB, then you know exactly what to expect. Being mentally prepared for what the level will be like is key to winning.

Multiplayer VS maps need to have comeback mechanics, because the game is most fun when everyone is packed together. A thing you can do is to include information based deaths. Stuff like hiding Yoshi inside an obscure block nobody will bother to check on the first go, then further ahead you place a jump that demands a Yoshi suicide to clear. The only way to know you need Yoshi is if you jump out towards the pit, realize there's no way to make it, and then die. Then you figure there must be something in the stage that helps you clear the obstacle and you start looking for it. The 2nd player will go ahead and do the same thing. Now here's the thing, the 1st player has respawned and is on their way to look for a powerup, so while they are looking, the 2nd player will catch up and they will look for the hidden block together. Voila, the gap between first and second has been erased. Or you could have situations where the player who reaches it first needs to do something to open up the path forward which will waste their time a little bit, while the path remains open for the others, resulting in a decrease of the gap between the players. Those are the kind of mechanics that bring out the most fun in multiplayer Vs I think.

Deleted member 21996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Had some fun mucking about with shells, slopes and icicles for my first MM2 level. First clear up for grabs!

All shell breaks loose
HWR-R18-BJG
Difficulty: expect a shellacking

Use level-specific shell to clear 4 screens. Knowledge of abilities will hopefully be learned as you progress, but in case it is too obtuse:

- Use slopes to pick up shells
- Don't forget you can crouch
- Bones shell: press down to play dead, trigger to vault/throw shell

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So far I've found every stage with less than 10% clearance, to be quite difficult. So I tend to avoid less than 10% stages. For me 10% - 20% seem to be the sweet spot, but I play any stage above 10%

thats the idea I had last night.then I decided on either 1-1 of super Mario world or super Mario 3D world.

I think it'd be really cool to see a reimagining of 1-1 from 3D World - you should go for it!

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I have a level that I hope is easy and fun, but I'm very worried that the sub level is harder than I found it. It's about low gravity goomba shoe platforming so the controls are a bit unusual. I'm really curious what others think about that part because I don't want it to be too hard.

Goomba's Sky Playground:
PGC-36S-RTG

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Any general tips for making levels with some backtracking involved? I am making a fairly simple SMB1 style course with a ground path and then a sky path. The idea is to go on the ground, do an unlock of some kind and then return to the beginning and up the sky path without falling back down to the lower ground path. I know this could get tedious, so I'm trying to find the right length. Going all the to the end on the ground > all the way back left > then all the way to the right could be rough.

Also, I've realized making levels is hard. Kudos to all of you here who are killing it.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017

How did a course I made a week ago end up in the Popular Courses tab today? I guess someone streamed it or something? Hopefully some of the people playing it will check out my other courses since I'm prouder of some of those on a course design level.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Any general tips for making levels with some backtracking involved? I am making a fairly simple SMB1 style course with a ground path and then a sky path. The idea is to go on the ground, do an unlock of some kind and then return to the beginning and up the sky path without falling back down to the lower ground path. I know this could get tedious, so I'm trying to find the right length. Going all the to the end on the ground > all the way back left > then all the way to the right could be rough.

Also, I've realized making levels is hard. Kudos to all of you here who are killing it.
Backtracking only feels good if it plays differently or if you have an interesting puzzle to think through where to go next.

Easiest way to do that might be flying items and letting people actually fly, which basically no levels do because that usually would skip the level. Like one entrance/exit pipe in a sub level with a on/off switch and raccoon leaf at the very end.

Also, most vertical levels probably play quite differently going up vs down just by the nature of them.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I wish I could just take all the levels in this thread and sort by difficulty. Give me your hardest shit!

I wish I could do this, only so I could play the easy levels. I have no interest in being brutalized by kaizo obstacle courses, but I love weird thematic and experimental levels and ones that are visually/aesthetically striking.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could do this, only so I could play the easy levels. I have no interest in being brutalized by kaizo obstacle courses, but I love weird thematic and experimental levels and ones that are visually/aesthetically striking.

I don't have the patience for the easy stuff. I could die a million times and grind on a level for hours. But give me some easy stroll through a level and I die because I limped a jump at a dumb spot, I quit. I like the repetition, the learning and getting better.

It's so damn satisfying to struggle on the very first jump of a level for 15 minutes and then later on just breezing through it like it's automatic.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I don't normally post my levels as they're not very good but I'm liking this one. It's called "10 chambers":
Y00-NRX-SLF

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Done creating my latest level. It is like a boss battle with puzzle elements. No, it is not the one where I put big bowser and call it a day.

Mech Mansion - YJD-8JN-J0H

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Somehow, my first course is losing players :P
No idea how that happened, but a week ago it had 21 players and today I got a notification that I had 16 players that played the course.
Also my builder score is sinking with it - no idea what and why it happened.

Also, I didn't really like the feel of the Switch Pro controller - at all. It's pretty nice for most games, but 2D platformers is not the genre it was made for.

So I bought the Magic NS and a Pokken controller. Both a really nice! I used the Magic NS to set up my old Wii U Pro Controller - worked immediately, the lag is almost unnoticeable for me and it feels so much better than the Switch Pro controller. The build quality might be worse and it doesn't have rumble, but it feels a lot better for 2D games!

And the Pokken controller is fantastic considering the price and use case. The D-Pad is big and responsive and it works flawlessly. The cord is really long too.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Made a new level: Toad's Quest: Forest Travel.

Code is: YBY-68K-DJG

Tried to make a level with less backtracking than the others, but I don't know if it got too long or not. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Just had to report someone because they posted a comment saying "Warning this is a troll level" on a level of mine that clearly isn't a troll at all given that it's been completed.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Been working on a few levels, I get hung up on how they look. I get into the aesthetics of stuff. lol

my newest is a small puzzle level. Let me know what you guys think.

5GC-9BS-YXF

super casual.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Done creating my latest level. It is like a boss battle with puzzle elements. No, it is not the one where I put big bowser and call it a day.

Mech Mansion - YJD-8JN-J0H
Overall I like your level, but there's a soft lock that happens pretty easily if someone crouches in the section with the bullet bills and two music note blocks in the middle. I get stuck on the conveyor belt under a block and cant get out.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Sometimes playing Endless I find some awesome levels by unknown creators, who definitely deserve more plays/likes. So I wanna recommend them to you.

Game and Watch Gallery
5XD-Q8P-78G

3,95 % clear rate
SMB Style

Challenging rooms in style of the old Game and Watch games. Very entertaining.
This level got the CaptainMatilder Seal of Approval (basically my avatar), so you know it must be good!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I don't have the patience for the easy stuff. I could die a million times and grind on a level for hours. But give me some easy stroll through a level and I die because I limped a jump at a dumb spot, I quit. I like the repetition, the learning and getting better.

It's so damn satisfying to struggle on the very first jump of a level for 15 minutes and then later on just breezing through it like it's automatic.
Yup, same here.