• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 5, 2018
I made a puzzle level with a clear condition of defeating 38 Goombas, btu really you're trying to free them from their traps to let them enjoy this spa's gigantic Hot Tub, Thwomp Massages and even let them enjoy the sight of the moon. This is the Goomba Hot Tub & Massage Spa:

Course ID: TBG-GJY-SLG
I wanted to make a puzzle level and this is by far my easiest level as far as getting hurt because there's really a few instances in this level where you can be in danger. And this puzzle level isn't the most elaborately designed puzzle as its a series of puzzles that start off as pretty straightforward but the second half has some puzzles with various steps to complete. Let me know what you think of the level and see if I need to tweak it in any way.

It's good, I liked it, but this is three levels in one! Three good levels, they just don't feel related.

Yeah, seems like you're right. Since this was my first level, I just wanted to check out a lot of different mechanics and to find out, what mechanics could actually be fun for the player. I will make sure that the areas of my next level won't feel like they are too separated from each other in terms of level/art design.

Thank you for your feedback (this helps me a lot) and for playing my level.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Played it last evening and liked it. Awesome work with the atmosphere. I liked the fact that the beginning and the ending of the descend/ascend had icy parts, so when I climbed up again the scenery slowly turned ice-themed again alerting me that I was nearing the top. Nice touch.
Played most of your levels yesterday alongside this one. Got me puzzled with the freefall at the start, had no clue I was falling into an eldritch pit! Had fun with all of them, will make sure to keep on following your work.

Thanks for the feedback on my last level everybody. Anyone else noticed the number of plays from randoms has gone down a lot this week? To be expected after the initial rush I suppose.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I made a puzzle level with a clear condition of defeating 38 Goombas, btu really you're trying to free them from their traps to let them enjoy this spa's gigantic Hot Tub, Thwomp Massages and even let them enjoy the sight of the moon. This is the Goomba Hot Tub & Massage Spa:

Course ID: TBG-GJY-SLG
I wanted to make a puzzle level and this is by far my easiest level as far as getting hurt because there's really a few instances in this level where you can be in danger. And this puzzle level isn't the most elaborately designed puzzle as its a series of puzzles that start off as pretty straightforward but the second half has some puzzles with various steps to complete. Let me know what you think of the level and see if I need to tweak it in any way.

I actually played this in the New tab! I liked the puzzles a LOT, but for some reason I never notice win conditions until I've failed to meet them. So when I reached the end and saw I had failed I was left feeling UGH.

LajNimajwal

Jul 16, 2019
Hey everyone, I've been around the site since inception, but never felt the need to actually join until now. I love Mario Maker so much, and it was one of my favorite threads on the old site, and I loved enjoying other people's levels and giving feedback, and vice versa.
I'm quite disappointed how few plays my courses get after so much time creating them (I got way more, way faster in MM1 it seems like…), hopefully I can get some plays from some of you, and I'd love to play your courses as well, feel free to PM them to me or just mention them in the thread, I'll be keeping up more now that I've actually joined and can leave comments and feedback.

I've just been kicking off the rust with these first four, but I quite like them. I can't wait to polish myself more and find time to create all the fun courses I have in mind.

Hopefully they get the bookmark site going again for this so it's easy to get pictures of courses to post.

For now:
1: Icicle Caves Escapades Q3W-VXY-M0H (SMW, snow day & night)
My first level for this game; I love the snow themes. You can blaze through for a speed run taking the harder icicle route, but the easier route with claws will lead to a whole new area that is pretty jolly.

2: Quagmire in the Quagmire V3L-QVX-7TG (NSMB, forest night)
I've never made a "one-screen" puzzle level before, so I just tinkered around with one. If that's not your jam, then don't play this. It's quite basic though, with some visual clues showing you where a few things need to go. It is fully resettable as well.

3: Clear Cascading Conundrum 7PD-2P4-86G (SM3DW, airship)
Man this style looks great. There are two main sections and you might have to do a few different tasks to make your way forward. Lots of fun to make (find both keys for the true ending).

4: Seek the Silences in the Gloom T0C-WNX-TGG (SMB, ground night & underground day)
My latest level may seem like it has a few pick-a-path sections, but the "silence" will lead you the right way every time. Hopefully pretty atmospheric with fun rewards sprinkled throughout.

Well, I'll never have to do a major level dump like this again, one at a time going forward. Looking forward to hearing about some of these!

May 5, 2018
I actually played this in the New tab! I liked the puzzles a LOT, but for some reason I never notice win conditions until I've failed to meet them. So when I reached the end and saw I had failed I was left feeling UGH.
Glad you like the puzzles. Though where did you miss defeating Goombas? Was it over on the...
Right side of the second to last puzzle where the Munchers are blocking a semisolid platform for some bouncing goombas on the bottom? The tip there is to keep Kuribo's Shoe and do a mega down tilt stomp to clear the munchers and the Goombas can bounce onto the platform and then you use the buzzy beetle shells to clear a path for those goombas to escape.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I just got this game for my birthday and it's so fun to play. As someone that missed out on the first MM, this is really addictive and interesting to see players create levels.

On another note, is there a place we can submit levels so other ERA players can try them?

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Glad you like the puzzles. Though where did you miss defeating Goombas? Was it over on the...
Right side of the second to last puzzle where the Munchers are blocking a semisolid platform for some bouncing goombas on the bottom? The tip there is to keep Kuribo's Shoe and do a mega down tilt stomp to clear the munchers and the Goombas can bounce onto the platform and then you use the buzzy beetle shells to clear a path for those goombas to escape.
Honestly, I may not have even missed any! Like, when you reach the goal there are still some puzzles to be completed, if I remember right. I just didn't realize I was meant to be killing them until the end and since I hadn't concentrated on doing so felt I MAY have missed them. Then I realized, "Oh, that's why there were some puzzles around killing goombas that didn't give a key! I thought those were red herrings!"

It's my own lack of observation. I mean, it flashes the requirement at the start of a stage, but I still always tune it out.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys.

My girlfriend gifted this to me a few days ago and I still haven't got around to it since honestly it's pretty intimidating and I don't know where to start having never have played a Maker game before, lol.

Any tips??

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys.

My girlfriend gifted this to me a few days ago and I still haven't got around to it since honestly it's pretty intimidating and I don't know where to start having never have played a Maker game before, lol.

Any tips??
As someone that just started playing too, a few easy ways to get into the game was playing the story mode to understand some of the mechanics introduced as well as the physics for each game style. You can also get on Course World and jump into player created levels.

There's also a long tutorial that gets pretty detailed about making levels if that's your thing.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Finished all the story mode levels finally. I missed the sound frog entirely and didn't realise yamamura had more work for me so was looking around for ages wondering why I hadn't got the final reward lol

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I just got this game for my birthday and it's so fun to play. As someone that missed out on the first MM, this is really addictive and interesting to see players create levels.

On another note, is there a place we can submit levels so other ERA players can try them?

There's a link to a Google spreadsheet and a link to the Maker ERA Discord in the OP.
I don't know if it's something only ERA members can see in the OP or not, so I won't provide links as to not get in trouble. (I'm dumb with this forum-posting stuff. ha)

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
I wish this game had something like a "heavy block" item that would obey physics, would make creating contraptions easier. I know you can use bullet bill launchers or munchers for most things, but those have drawbacks since they're supposed to be enemies.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
New level up and running. It's simple and nothing too wild. It's mostly a test run of playing with dry bones shells. Making it gave me more ideas moving forward.

So, simple platforming with basic puzzle solving.

Dry Bones Secret Mushroom Cave
96N-SSY-92G

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
New level up and running. It's simple and nothing too wild. It's mostly a test run of playing with dry bones shells. Making it gave me more ideas moving forward.

So, simple platforming with basic puzzle solving.

Dry Bones Secret Mushroom Cave
96N-SSY-92G
Another good level that I didn't see the clear condition for until it was too late!

Dec 18, 2018
Thanks for playing. It is much appreciated. I love adding comments to my levels. It gives them an added sense of personality. I feel like it's an under used feature.

Sorry mate, lol. You can still do your version, though. I'd love to see another take on the idea.
Yah, that's true. Its just funny, I keep thinking My ideas are original.
I also came up with the idea of a stage where you time travel, but someone already made a time travel stage.

eponymous

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yah, that's true. Its just funny, I keep thinking My ideas are original.
I also came up with the idea of a stage where you time travel, but someone already made a time travel stage.

I know what you mean. You think your idea is totally unique and noone could have possibly thought of it. I made a level where Mario robs a bank and it got a few plays. I looked on the most popular levels and there is a level where Mario robs a bank and it was made well after mine, lol.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to get some feedback on the first course I've done. Although the finish is kind of tough due to timing.

Piranha Planted!
M70-T9X-WLF

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
Try my biggest level yet!

Mario is being chased by Bowser during a full frontal assault on king Koopa's armada of airships!

Attack on Titan Airship!
JX1-VDW-XQF

Don't have time to play it yet? Save it for later!

Bookmark this level with the option on the top right of this post! I have lots of bookmarks of levels from ERA to play!

Best and easiest way to play until Nintendo releases an official Bookmark feature.

Have fun!

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Damn, trihex takes $20 per course request?

I really dig the ASMR style he got going for him with the tone of voice and controller clicks. It's really relaxing watching him play even though he plays some of the most intense levels. Too bad I'm not a fan of super expert or kaizo-style levels, which seems to be the theme on Twitch. Don't understand the appeal at all.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I'd love to get some feedback on the first course I've done. Although the finish is kind of tough due to timing.

Piranha Planted!
M70-T9X-WLF
It suffers from the problem a lot of first courses do, it assumes more skill on the player's behalf than they are likely to have. These are difficult jumps! It's also not always clear what the player is intended to do, again because of the skill required. Most people won't know to long jump into a bounce off the plants in order to avoid the spikes and not fall in the pit. In order to hint at that you can include a trail of coins! Use Mario's trail in the Maker to set the coins exactly where a properly done jump would lead.

Again now, these first few jumps are a challenge. All of them! Even avoiding those koopas. The player who gets through them will feel a sense of accomplishment! That will immediately turn to frustration at having to do it all again when the very next thing they are faced with is the incredibly deadly combo of a giant hammer bro and a fire tossing bro. With no checkpoint!

Maybe you don't mind, and a low clear rate is your goal. That's fine too.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
It suffers from the problem a lot of first courses do, it assumes more skill on the player's behalf than they are likely to have. These are difficult jumps! It's also not always clear what the player is intended to do, again because of the skill required. Most people won't know to long jump into a bounce off the plants in order to avoid the spikes and not fall in the pit. In order to hint at that you can include a trail of coins! Use Mario's trail in the Maker to set the coins exactly where a properly done jump would lead.

Again now, these first few jumps are a challenge. All of them! Even avoiding those koopas. The player who gets through them will feel a sense of accomplishment! That will immediately turn to frustration at having to do it all again when the very next thing they are faced with is the incredibly deadly combo of a giant hammer bro and a fire tossing bro. With no checkpoint!

Maybe you don't mind, and a low clear rate is your goal. That's fine too.
I wanted it to be a difficult course but without any hints where to go, it does make it way more frustrating.

I added in coins to telegraph where to go next, along with making the goalpost easier to complete since it was extremely difficult compared to the rest of the course.

I also removed the Fire Bro so it isn't as punishing to reset. There's a checkpoint in there but it's a little after the first set of blinking blocks.

Thanks for the feedback, it helps a lot on what to do next and what I should think about when creating levels.

Edit: Updated version
CKH-PH7-R4G

Last edited:

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys.

Any tips??
Just jump into playing other people's courses from the "Hot" and "Popular" categories. You may find yourself inspired by what others are doing once you go create your own. Story mode also teaches you a lot of level design basics and is fun in of itself.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The Koopazon Forest Expedition: CWN-R2J-4GG
20HrYUe.jpg

This level hasn't really gotten plays, and I hope some of you can show it some love. :)

It's mostly traditional gameplay, but with the addition that the level is split into a few sections by locked doors, and you need to explore a little to find the "vault" pipe and get a key from single screen rooms with a small quick challenge in them.
I think it turned out pretty well, and I hope you'll try it and think so too. :)

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I think I will never finish story mode.
I just don't have infinite time to play, and I can't stop building levels. I just can't, I love it.

I built two levels today.
How am I supposed to finish the story mode, ever ? It's too bad because I'm pretty sure there are tons of things I could learn from the mode.

Deleted member 21996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone, I've been around the site since inception, but never felt the need to actually join until now. I love Mario Maker so much, and it was one of my favorite threads on the old site, and I loved enjoying other people's levels and giving feedback, and vice versa.
I'm quite disappointed how few plays my courses get after so much time creating them (I got way more, way faster in MM1 it seems like…), hopefully I can get some plays from some of you, and I'd love to play your courses as well, feel free to PM them to me or just mention them in the thread, I'll be keeping up more now that I've actually joined and can leave comments and feedback.

I've just been kicking off the rust with these first four, but I quite like them. I can't wait to polish myself more and find time to create all the fun courses I have in mind.

Hopefully they get the bookmark site going again for this so it's easy to get pictures of courses to post.

For now:
1: Icicle Caves Escapades Q3W-VXY-M0H (SMW, snow day & night)
My first level for this game; I love the snow themes. You can blaze through for a speed run taking the harder icicle route, but the easier route with claws will lead to a whole new area that is pretty jolly.

2: Quagmire in the Quagmire V3L-QVX-7TG (NSMB, forest night)
I've never made a "one-screen" puzzle level before, so I just tinkered around with one. If that's not your jam, then don't play this. It's quite basic though, with some visual clues showing you where a few things need to go. It is fully resettable as well.

3: Clear Cascading Conundrum 7PD-2P4-86G (SM3DW, airship)
Man this style looks great. There are two main sections and you might have to do a few different tasks to make your way forward. Lots of fun to make (find both keys for the true ending).

4: Seek the Silences in the Gloom T0C-WNX-TGG (SMB, ground night & underground day)
My latest level may seem like it has a few pick-a-path sections, but the "silence" will lead you the right way every time. Hopefully pretty atmospheric with fun rewards sprinkled throughout.

Well, I'll never have to do a major level dump like this again, one at a time going forward. Looking forward to hearing about some of these!

Played 1, 3 and 4 and enjoyed all of them. All quite different but they all had a distinctive visual design which I enjoyed.

1. Couldn't for the life of me propel myself up the last claw in the first vertical section, so chose the so-called harder icicle route. Came unstuck many times trying to rush it, but overall this had a fair difficulty and a nice mix of platforming styles.

3. Forgot to pick up the first coin on this one and as there was no way of backtracking past the first checkpoint I had to restart. A section with all the bob-ombs and disappearing platforms had me confused, and spent way more time down there than I should. Overall though this had a neat mix of puzzles and a good use of builder Mario that didn't outstay its welcome.

4. Terrific atmosphere, and from a thematic standpoint I loved it. Could've done with more play testing though. I see I wasn't the only player to have encountered a fail state. Otherwise, it wasn't always obvious when you were in danger, the sound cues are a great idea in principle but didn't find they always worked as they should. Large difficulty spike with the bloopers on seesaws, maybe I'm dumb and I didn't quite understand how the physics worked, but I lost about 10 lives here alone. Lots of promise though and certainly a memorable level!

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Reposting the level as I've reuploaded with a new code (I don't think anyone here had played the previous version anyway).

"Break into the Vault"
7PV-305-TYG

It's sort of puzzle gameplay, but really more like twitch reactionary gameplay that seems puzzley.

Seems difficult at first but once you get the hang of it, not too hard.

Feedback is welcome :)

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Bah!
I'm annoyed!

Spent the day making a propeller suit descent with the "don't touch the ground" challenge applied only to find out that drilling through hard blocks in the propeller suit counts as touching the ground, which ruined some of the areas where you either had to mix up your speeds or were nudged towards pure drilling down.

I'm unreasonably salty over this, I modified the level to accommodate but it's just not the same without that satisfying drill finish, now I'm not even sure if it's worth a precious upload
(though I expect people are understandably immediately repelled by "don't touch the ground" challenges anyway)

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Maybe a streamer got it in their endless challenge?
I don't think a big streamer playing your level and praising and loving it leads to an spike in popularity. If you're lucky, two-three viewers will play it and that's it.
Sometimes it just happens and a level suddenly gets a lot of plays/likes.

That said, how rude of eponymous to post something like this and not sharing the course ID!

eponymous

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't think a big streamer playing your level and praising and loving it leads to an spike in popularity. If you're lucky, two-three viewers will play it and that's it.

That said, how rude of eponymous to post something like this and not sharing the course ID!

Sorry! lol
it's 4S2-81B-XGF

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I did it. I finally clawed my way out of A tank hell to reach S. There isn't anything above S right?

Nope, only S+

Congrats though!

I wouldn't post any standard style levels on Twitch, since the viewers have a huge tendency of being into the sadistic type of levels. It will only hurt your like to play ratio.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The Koopazon Forest Expedition: CWN-R2J-4GG
20HrYUe.jpg

This level hasn't really gotten plays, and I hope some of you can show it some love. :)

It's mostly traditional gameplay, but with the addition that the level is split into a few sections by locked doors, and you need to explore a little to find the "vault" pipe and get a key from single screen rooms with a small quick challenge in them.
I think it turned out pretty well, and I hope you'll try it and think so too. :)
I enjoyed it.

LajNimajwal

Jul 16, 2019
Played 1, 3 and 4 and enjoyed all of them. All quite different but they all had a distinctive visual design which I enjoyed.

1. Couldn't for the life of me propel myself up the last claw in the first vertical section, so chose the so-called harder icicle route. Came unstuck many times trying to rush it, but overall this had a fair difficulty and a nice mix of platforming styles.

3. Forgot to pick up the first coin on this one and as there was no way of backtracking past the first checkpoint I had to restart. A section with all the bob-ombs and disappearing platforms had me confused, and spent way more time down there than I should. Overall though this had a neat mix of puzzles and a good use of builder Mario that didn't outstay its welcome.

4. Terrific atmosphere, and from a thematic standpoint I loved it. Could've done with more play testing though. I see I wasn't the only player to have encountered a fail state. Otherwise, it wasn't always obvious when you were in danger, the sound cues are a great idea in principle but didn't find they always worked as they should. Large difficulty spike with the bloopers on seesaws, maybe I'm dumb and I didn't quite understand how the physics worked, but I lost about 10 lives here alone. Lots of promise though and certainly a memorable level!

Thanks for the plays!
1. Interesting, are you talking about the claw right after the key door? A full jump straight up when it is at its lowest will usually grab you.

3. Pink coins aren't actually required, I tried to indicate that in the description. I wish there was a better way to indicate whether coins are needed or not.

4. Yeah, I noticed a couple inconsitencies with the sound cues and wish they worked a bit better, and I am so bummed I included the possible reset.

Thanks for your feedback, it leaves me with good things to consider in my next. Do you have any levels you'd like me to play?

LajNimajwal

Jul 16, 2019
Bah!
I'm annoyed!

Spent the day making a propeller suit descent with the "don't touch the ground" challenge applied only to find out that drilling through hard blocks in the propeller suit counts as touching the ground, which ruined some of the areas where you either had to mix up your speeds or were nudged towards pure drilling down.

I'm unreasonably salty over this, I modified the level to accommodate but it's just not the same without that satisfying drill finish, now I'm not even sure if it's worth a precious upload
(though I expect people are understandably immediately repelled by "don't touch the ground" challenges anyway)
Bummer, maybe you could have replaced the blocks with some type of line or stack of enemies to drill through? That sounds pretty satisfying as well.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
A Quick Spin!
Take a quick spin through the level and try to find the bonus stage!

5GK-4BG-37G

Hey guys, it's the second level I make ever, and I tried to make an medium/hard level just in the Super Mario World style, where you jump just using the spin jump. There's also a bonus stage (not THAT hidden, I want people to find it) with a different theme than the level. I hope you guys like it!

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Thinking of picking up a stylus for this. Anything I need to know? I've heard on a few podcasts that some have issues? Also just bought this and loving it so far.