Do you believe?

• Hell yeah Ninty can easily do it

Votes: 195 90.3%
  • Nah it's impossible

Votes: 21 9.7%

• Total voters

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
With the next 3D Mario coming out next year (surely) I decided it was time to replay this game for the first time since 2017, just to see if it still holds the same place in my heart the way it did back then..

And it's just hard to believe how good this game is, it's the dream sequel to Mario 64, it does almost everything right, it's as perfect of a 3D platformer as it gets, like the only minor thing I dislike about it is the motion stuff, and I wish it had a hub world as good as Sunshine's, but that's it.. how do you top this? Is such a thing even possible?

How can you do another New Donk City festival? Or another Peach's castle? Or another Ruined Dragon? Or another you now control motherfucking Bowser himself?! These are some of the most magical moments I've experienced in gaming, hell I didn't think a game would make me feel like a goddamn kid again in 2017, and nothing I've played throughout these years came even close to beating it, and it's hard for me to imagine how they'll top this.

So the question is, are we looking at another 3D World next? Like, a great game, but ultimately pales in comparison to its predecessor? Or are you a full believer in what's next?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's actually... Not that hard?

I mean, the things you mention are creative levels. Mario devs can be super creative, so I have no doubt they will amaze us many, many times in the future :P

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
By making a sequel that was better than Odyssey, Mario 3D Land.

I also accept Galaxy 3.

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
Less bloat.

More gradual difficulty scale. Don't stick the only challenging content in the post-game.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Best world by a mile was Seaside Kingdom. What was so special about Peach's Castle that makes you think they can't top it?

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
120 moons that are rewarding to find instead of giving them out like candies that made them like whatever.

Change the art style, I always thought MO was really really horrible art style.

Also the creativity in level design and gadgets was such a letdown coming from Galaxy.

Short: make Galaxy 3

Last edited:

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I feel they could iterate on Odyssey and I'd be more than content but I expect they'll take a different approach for the next game again, especially since it'll likely be pushed as a system seller for the new console.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Every single time I doubt them I remember I thought they couldn't top BOTW and Galaxy and they did.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they somehow do, it'll probably be the best game ever made.

I've not played Bowser fury, how does it compare to odyssey, can it be considered a successor?

Bowser's Fury is more of a proof of concept, though it's a promising one. I know a lot of people weren't too big on the Fury Bowser gimmick, but it's the best showing of an open world 3D platformer I can think of.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey isn't even nearly the best 3D Mario. I was honestly unpleasantly surprised at the overall quality of it; I feel it could have been so much better.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey is a weird game. By all intents and purposes it's a very creative and polished title but I just kinda don't have that much fun actually playing it.

OP
OP
NANA

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Best world by a mile was Seaside Kingdom. What was so special about Peach's Castle that makes you think they can't top it?
It's not the level itself but the moment when I first saw it and realized it was the castle, I was in awe, almost tearing up, lol.
Every single time I doubt them I remember I thought they couldn't top BOTW and Galaxy and they did.
Ehh.. Yes Galaxy 2 and TOTK are better games, but experiencing Galaxy 1 for the first time and a completely different Zelda with BOTW left a far stronger impression on me.
Galaxy 3 this, Galaxy 3 that

Fuck that

Super Mario Sunshine 2
Hell yeah bruh. Sunshine > Galaxy 1 & 2, COMBINED.

Last edited:

Qohelet

Oct 31, 2017
I thought Mario Galaxy 1/2 couldn't be topped and yet Mario Odyssey blew me away.
I think they can do it again.

Most things in Odessey where just fantastic but just like Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom there are still so many things they could do much better. For an example less big empty space in some levels, less repeated moons and better boss fights.

When I bought and played Odessey and Mario 3D All Stars with my girlfriend we both thought we would love Galaxy, hate Sunshine and I thought I wouldn't like Odessey of things I have read on the internet (she doesn't read or watch gaming stuff). And o boy was it all wrong.

Mario Galaxy was one of the worst Nintendo games ever for both of us, no challange in that game at all and really, really boring gameplay, so disappointed. Sunshine was soooo much fun, we loved almost all of it and then Oddessy was a little boring from the beginning being so casual but after a while and specially after finishing the main story (like 1/10 from taking all the moons) it suddenly was peak Mario all the way until the last moon.

I really loved Odessey much more than I thought I would do. It did so much things done right in it's level design and varaity and rewarded the player with great new content. Probably the most fun game to take everything in togheter with Banjo Kazooie.

I have a hard time to chose if I like Mario 64, Super Mario 3, Sunshine or Odessey most. With that said Odessey 2 has so much potential and I have never ever been hyped about a Mario game before, it's just a casual series for me even though I love many of its games. But this time I feel real hype and I hope they will reveal it soon for Switch 2! Plz be good!

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I hated the mish mash of art styles, specially when a bunch looked hideous like it was those mods that put Mario in some random ugly game, so this should be fairly easy to surpass.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Less bloat.

More gradual difficulty scale. Don't stick the only challenging content in the post-game.

I don't think this is ever going to happen - difficult stuff in Mario games is often the optional stuff or post game content as primarily Mario games are made for everyone so even younger kids can play. I think personally it's fine that way, but I do understand some people want more of a challenge.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds impossible to beat the ultimate 3D Mario game. But then Nintendo comes and surprises you with something new that makes your mind blow.

Nintendo will do it again, who knows how.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I restarted Super Mario 3D World recently and found a new appreciation over it.

I think a new one would be able to top Odyssey

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I trust Nintendo.
Hell, give us Galaxy 3 and that would automatically be a GOAT especially for a new console with modern visuals

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I don't think this is ever going to happen - difficult stuff in Mario games is often the optional stuff or post game content as primarily Mario games are made for everyone so even younger kids can play. I think personally it's fine that way, but I do understand some people want more of a challenge.

They put some trickier stuff up front in Wonder, with difficulty flags alerting you to the higher level of challenge. They could easily do the same with tougher, optional content peppered around an Odyssey sequel.

I personally don't mind playing through the main game before tougher challenges unlock. Mario games often have such satisfying movement that it's enjoyable to replay even the simplest of stages. Mario 3D Land's abundance of remixed post-game stages was probably my favourite approach to difficulty, especially the tightly timed sections and cosmic Mario chases (even if the final, final stage wasn't as fun as 3D World's Champions Road).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not concerned. 3D Mario will be fine. I honestly felt like Odyssey was a step back from Galaxy 2 and it was still fine.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Odyssey is not the best 3d Mario, so of course they can do it. Even if they want to strictly follow the Odyssey template, there are three very easy fixes that would elevate a successor profoundly:
- remove Toadette moons
- remove trivial "stomp on glittering place" moons
- make the game significantly more challenging.

Apr 9, 2018
Bowser's Fury is more of a proof of concept, though it's a promising one. I know a lot of people weren't too big on the Fury Bowser gimmick, but it's the best showing of an open world 3D platformer I can think of.
Absolutely and I imagine them leaning hard into the open level nature. It'll feel more of a different flavour than Odyessy, but I imagine the core will be similar there's only so many ways to jump over a series of blocks, there'll still be an abundance of linear platforming segments same as in Bowsers Fury

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Release joy cons with decent analog sticks.

(I think Bowser's Fury is the best template for what I want out of the next game)

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Take that Bowser's Fury open world concept.

Have a few giant themed areas.

Have transportation methods to match those themes: Yoshi for an island, Wiggler for a forest, a kart for a city, etc.

Bulletzen

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it's the best Mario game, let alone the best 3D Mario game, yet I have a very soft spot for it, simply because it was the first Mario game that my 6 year old daughter completed with me.The minute she took control of the T-Rex and she saw the moustache....my God! Her laughter! She actually pissed herself laughing!

Anyway it's Nintendo! They will do fine!

Re-Tails

Aug 16, 2020
Bowser's Fury got it.

I still look forward to replaying Bowser's Fury a third time at some point. I loved Odyssey (main reason I bought the Switch) but I ain't replaying that anytime soon. I still rank Galaxy 1 above Odyssey.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
There's so much Nintendo can do with the wacky Odyssey formula. We saw a glimpse of it with Wonder seeds.

One way they can top it is to quite literally remake Mario 64 within the game as an Easter egg or bonus. Mark me, it will happen.

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
I just hope the next game is not open world but that feels like a losing bet these days. Didn't like Bowser's Fury already so I don't want more of that. Wish we could have less bloat and go back to a Mario 64 objective-based structure and 120 stars.