Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
4b2ac0503f7e6f436205be30ffd02f401a5daee6_hq.gif

Pictured above: not a boss, just sheer childhood nightmare fuel.

For those who don't have SMO just yet, I thought it might be fun to hype ourselves up a bit by discussing the epic boss battles of the Mario series - including spin-offs! - especially in the 3D series of games!

tumblr_mqfz1zjzen1r67abqo1_500.gif

But seriously, y'all, how friggin' epic was spinning around Bowser by his tail in full polygonal 3-holy moly-D in SM64? Each rematch was decidedly tougher and there was a pure unadultered joy in flinging Bowser around with one eye scrunched up a bit, hoping you'd hit one of the targets. Not to mention the gauntlet levels that preceded the boss battles. The SMG games were notable for the intense awesomeness of their pre-major boss levels as well.

latest

galaxybig_4246.jpg

And speaking of epic! How fantastic was that Bouldergeist level in SMG, especially in the 1-hit-and-you're-done Daredevil Comet? Those Comets added a little something extra special to the proceedings and overcoming those obstacles was eminently satisfying. I really liked grabbing the Black Boos and flinging them at the big rocky behemoth. It was a neat twist on the SM64 battle, come to think of it.

I also want to shout out a couple spin-off boss battles!

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Grouchy Possessor, the first boss, was quite awesome and memorable.

PossessedSpiderAttacking.png

You face off against a giant, possessed spider who shoots mini spiders at you. You have to light a web with a torch and use it to attack the spider. As one review mentioned it's reminiscent of a Rube Goldberg contraption. It's very smooth and playable and any error feels like it's on the part of the player and not the game. It doesn't hurt that this is one of the best-looking games on the 3DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ak6CEgQYU

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

As a big fan of the previous entries in the series that I've played, I really didn't mind the much-maligned tutorials much, and I found the game to be a lengthy and wholly charming adventure. Two of the Giant Luigi boss battles in particular stuck out to me.

The first of these is the epic struggle against the Zeekeeper.

250px-Zeekeeper_Artwork_-_Mario_%26_Luigi_Dream_Team.png

These Giant battles consist of stylus attacks and dodges and gyroscope sections. When the Zeekeeper attacks, you have to dodge out of the way or send his attacks back at him. The real fun starts though when he rips open a tear in the dimensional fabric (!) and you have to dodge his attacks using the gyroscope and hit him when he's dazed. It doesn't hurt that the music in this battle is epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV6r-aMBvlk

The Giant Bowser battle is even more epic in some ways.

GiantDreamyBowser.jpg

God DAMN, this battle was a real nail-biter for me. Unlike the non-Giant battles, there's no leveling up for Giant Luigi, so the battles increasingly put your skills to the test and there's no grinding to be done to help you increase your stats and give you a better chance in these battles. You fight Giant Bowser in the middle of a volcano (of course!) and he starts out charging against you. If you dodge him, he falls into lava. The goal is to keep knocking him into the lava, but it's not very easy to do so. You also can jump away from his attacks, onto his airship, and charge into him, and an army of Shy Guys will try to poke at your feet and serve up delicious, regenerating meat to Bowser. There's also a second phase requiring traversal on a massive Star across a gyroscopic obstacle course to deliver a finishing blow. Oh, and of course if you dodge an attack successfully, you get to execute that ultra-satisfying Bowser tail spin, a la Mario 64. The whole game is bursting with creativity--truly the Mario 3D World of RPGs--and these battles are an excellent example of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDDuh0gVj-c

-

Ok, let's hear about your faves - and lengthy screeds of hype most welcome! And .gifs! Can't have too many Mario .gifs.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll throw a couple of my faves.

Super Mario RPG - The Axem Rangers
fresh-videogames-mario-rpg.gif

Towards the end of the game you find your celebration cut short as their axe-wielding sentai team steals your Star Piece. It erupts in a chase through a volcano and a showdown against them atop their flying ship The Blade. Everything about this fight is great. Each ranger having their own weaknesses and fighting style. The dialogue is funny and it all comes together when they bring the ship itself into the fight. It's my favorite fight in the game by a mile.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Giga Baby Bowser
tumblr_m0pkdxgo7R1romm05o5_500.gif

A battle against Baby Bowser was all but expected but him becoming a colossal kaiju? Hoo boy. This fight is great because of how imposing he is. So big and powerful that you'll lose if he gets close enough and the rocking final boss theme sells it. It's a fantastic battle against Bowser it probably my favorite fight against him. (Until Odyssey?)

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yay - a maxcriden thread! :D

Era feels like home already.

Shall have to think about my answer.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Giant cat bowser was alot of fun.

For a linear course boss like that, it was really fun and satisfying to complete, and very much in the spirit of the game. Speaking of, the boss battles in El Capitan Todd, even with their reuses, are super fun.

Yes, it was really well done especially with the 3D effect. The way you have to jump/roll under the blocks like hurdles was so awesome.

Yes, that was awesome.it almost had a bit of Crash Bandicoot to it in the way you ran towards the screen or at unusual angles.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even begin to make this decision. I've loved so many. I'm hoping Odyssey continues the wonderful tradition of great Super Mario boss battles.

The real reason I popped in here is to say how happy I am to see maxcriden on ResetERA!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's an incredibly difficult question to answer. Right now my answer is the Cat Bowser fight in 3D World. The way he used power-ups against you was really creative and I hope to see something like it in Odyssey.

I'm really glad to see you on the site maxcriden

Oct 25, 2017
Giant cat bowser was alot of fun.

This. 3D World's final boss was freakin insane. It was refreshingly out of the norm too - most Mario bosses just rehash the SMB3/SMW formula, a.k.a. "Jump on this thing's head 3 times." The 3D Marios are typically a bit better at this, but 3DL/3DW were big offenders of it IIRC.

It's refreshing when Nintendo breaks from that norm, and I wish they'd do it more often.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This. 3D World's final boss was freakin insane. It was refreshingly out of the norm too - most Mario bosses just rehash the SMB3/SMW formula, a.k.a. "Jump on this thing's head 3 times."

It's refreshing when Nintendo breaks from that norm, and I wish they'd do it more often sometimes.
I can't even begin to make this decision. I've loved so many. I'm hoping Odyssey continues the wonderful tradition of great Super Mario boss battles.

The real reason I popped in here is to say how happy I am to see maxcriden on ResetERA!

That's an incredibly difficult question to answer. Right now my answer is the Cat Bowser fight in 3D World. The way he used power-ups against you was really creative and I hope to see something like it in Odyssey.

I'm really glad to see you on the site maxcriden
Thanks for the kind words, I'm really psyched to see you both here also!

Cat Bowser was such a fun and creative fight. It's been a couple years at least since we played it so now I'm itching to go back. The use of powerups in 3DW in general was just ingeniously bursting at the seams with creativity.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Raphael The Raven - Yoshi's Island (can I post this one to a Mario thread?)
The OG Mario Galaxy and my favorite boss battle in a game full of amazing bosses. Blew my mind at the time.

957328-screen_raphael01.gif

Phantamanta - Super Mario Sunshine

I know some people may hate it, but I loved Fludd mechanics and this boss was super creative and unique.
270px-SMS_Phatamanta.png

Doopliss - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Having to fight your own party made this my favorite boss to represent the Mario RPGs. This story arc also made Vivian my favorite spin-off Mario character, so thanks Doopliss.
hqdefault.jpg

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tough one, I'm gonna go with Galaxy though, the music, the visuals, the extra stages of the fight that hadn't happened in the previous fights, amazing.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I guess spoilers just in case, but Cackletta's soul in Superstar saga DX completely changed how I thought her as the final boss. Her new look alone is a big part, but also changes to attacks.

Also these guys

300px-Koopa_bros.png

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Raphael The Raven - Yoshi's Island (can I post this one to a Mario thread?)
The OG Mario Galaxy and my favorite boss battle in a game full of amazing bosses. Blew my mind at the time.

957328-screen_raphael01.gif

Phantamanta - Super Mario Sunshine

I know some people may hate it, but I loved Fludd mechanics and this boss was super creative and unique.
270px-SMS_Phatamanta.png

Doopliss - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Having to fight your own party made this my favorite boss to represent the Mario RPGs. This story arc also made Vivian my favorite spin-off Mario character, so thanks Doopliss.
hqdefault.jpg

Great pics! I really need to replay TTYD. And man oh man, that YI boss battle was brilliant.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All of the giant bosses in Bowser's Inside Story. All 4 of them had very different mechanics and required you to think on your feet, plus the music was perfect for a battle of the titans. Of the 4 in this game, the Fawful Express was my favorite, with a unique hunger clock mechanic, steam engine goombas, and beating the crap out of one of those happy little hills.
maxresdefault.jpg

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Hi Max.

Best fight is probably my most recent fight which is Cat Bowser in 3D World. I absolutely loved 3D World.

Super Mario World on SNES was also memorable as I did that boss fight so many times.

Anni

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Damn OP you stole some of the best ones. I really dug the spider boss in LM2, I remember thinking how cool it was at the time. Apparently Miyamoto told the team to completely scrub all the bosses they'd been working on, and be more inventive, so I guess it worked!

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Damn OP you stole some of the best ones. I really dug the spider boss in LM2, I remember thinking how cool it was at the time. Apparently Miyamoto told the team to completely scrub all the bosses they'd been working on, and be more inventive, so I guess it worked!

I remember reading that interview! It was in an Iwata Asks, right? Um, don't mind me, I've just got something in my eye... :(
Hi Max.

Best fight is probably my most recent fight which is Cat Bowser in 3D World. I absolutely loved 3D World.

Super Mario World on SNES was also memorable as I did that boss fight so many times.

Hi Dom! So good to see you here. We recently played SMW to 100% for the first time, and the end battle was indeed very cool!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up with a Genesis and then a Playstation, but goddamn it was a ton of fun fighting King Bob-omb whenever we would go to Walmart.