Votes: 196 10.8%
  • Super Mario 3D World

Votes: 223 12.2%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 1,403 77.0%

• Total voters

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I never liked the look of New Donk City and doesn't help they halved the frame rates of NPCs in the distance

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Can anyone explain to me what exactly Galaxy does that 3D World doesn't in terms of artstyle?

Jyester

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Galaxy feels the most inspired to me. The forest level in Odyssey, as well as New Donk City and the Ruined Kingdom all look pretty lackluster. To be honest, none of the levels really captured my imagination, perhaps with the exception of the Luncheon and Sand Kingdoms.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 and Super Mario 3D World are some of the more beautiful games in theirs respective machines. Super Mario Odyssey is not even close to be one of the betters games we can see on switch (in terms of graphics).

Maybe because of that you has this feeling that game is not as beautiful as the previous games.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My god Bowsers Kingdom might be the best looking 3d Mario stage ever. Everything just works so well together

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Objective Odyssey is the best. But in terms of art direction, it's more subjective. Odyssey is leaning more towards realistic with more unreal engine vibes while the older ones are more cartoony.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Really dislike the art in SMO. I like but don't love 3DWorld and I absolutely adore SMG1/2

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy feels the most inspired to me. The forest level in Odyssey, as well as New Donk City and the Ruined Kingdom all look pretty lackluster. To be honest, none of the levels really captured my imagination, perhaps with the exception of the Luncheon and Sand Kingdoms.

I dunno I cant think of any Galaxy level that topped Bowsers Kingodm visually, but I will say that the music in Odyssey was not as good overall as the Galaxy games and there were only a few standout tracks

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not only does Odyssey look better on a technical level than the games you mentioned, it's also doing it with huge, open levels

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I agree with you OP.

I absolutely adored 3D World's aesthetic. Odyssey looks great, and is technically more impressive, but the environments feel like they could belong to other characters/series (e.g. Sonic, Smash, Pikmin). 3D World is unashamedly Mario. Every last asset screams "Mario" at the top of its lungs. It's extremely cohesive.

There were times, such as the Mushroom Kingdom, where Odyssey adopted the aesthetic. I crave more of these moments.

That being said, SM64 at the time did away with the colourful Mario aesthetic that had developed until that point. I would however like to see SM64 using 3D World-esque art direction. (Retaining the physics. Art direction only.)

In terms of Mario-ness, I would say that Galaxy sits somewhere in between 3D World and SM64/Odyssey. Technically it was incredible at the time and it still holds up today. It does take on a slightly darker/more realistic tone, partly due to technical limitations, which is fine.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Odyssey is graphically way better than Galaxy. Not up for debate.

I think 3D World is graphically better than Odyssey though. There's a case to be made for this.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I like the artistic direction of the Galaxy games more so than 3d world where things were too basic looking..also Odyssey while great in some kingdoms, other not so much ( new donk ) which had a miss mash of colors, meh textures and color grading which I wasn't a fan of also terrible grass texture, lack of AA made it stick out like a sore thumb

Mario-Odyssey-Metro-Kingdom-Bassist-Screenshot-2017-10-26-10-53-32.png

The ugliest level in 3d world lack of AA and ugly looking grass/ ground textures and trees that would pop in was really ugly

sm3dwguide169.png

The more the open/realistic the levels are in Mario games the more ugly they tend to look.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Now, you may say I'm cherry picking screenshots here (and the first 2 are actually running on Dolphin at a higher resolution)
So what you're trying to say here is that you're cherry picking screenshots here, but don't accuse you of doing exactly what you did (cherry picking screenshots)

That's really cool!!!

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
From a pure graphics perspective, of course Odyssey beats the shit out of the other Mario games, it's on a much more powerful system.

Art style on the other hand? Galaxy wins veeeeeeeeeery easily, Odyssey is pretty, sure, but something about it felt kind of soulless to me compared to other Mario games.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I've thought this from the get go, OP. The combination of some of the more incongruent art styles plus the cases where we clearly hit some of the limitations of the Switch made 3D World a much cleaner package for me. But I value polish and consistency, over say, slightly better lighting or something.

And it's a problem I've had with a lot of Switch games, and one of the primary reasons why I've wanted a Switch Pro.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If you're going to get some shots of Galaxy from Dolphin, you could've at the very least grabbed some 4k shots of Odyssey from Yuzu or Ryujinx.

Oct 25, 2017
It is true that emulators don't show how the game looked on original hardware, but it's not like Uncharted Remastered looks better than Uncharted 4. If all it takes for a previous gen game (or 2 gens past in Galaxy's case) to look better than a current gen one in the same series is higher resolution... there's something wrong with the current gen title.

When it comes to discussing preference in art direction and stuff like that, there's nothing wrong with bringing up emulators.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
From a pure graphics perspective, of course Odyssey beats the shit out of the other Mario games, it's on a much more powerful system.

Art style on the other hand? Galaxy wins veeeeeeeeeery easily, Odyssey is pretty, sure, but something about it felt kind of soulless to me compared to other Mario games.

Please, think out more in-depth criticism than "soulless". There's is literally nothing in Mario Odyssey that comes off as "soulless". If I have to read it in gaming discussions one more time, I swear...

Dec 1, 2017
I agree OP. Odyssey isn't an ugly game, but I strongly prefer the artistic aesthetic of 3D world and galaxy. 3D world is particularly beautiful.

Oct 27, 2017
I think 3d world has the cleanest most appealing look of the games if you ask me, but theres something to be said about galaxies filmic look that helped it feel larger than life. Odyssey just looks messy and incohesive.
Yep.
I strongly prefer the cartoony cohesiveness of 3D World and Galaxy games; everything FEELS like it belongs in Mario and has a timeless vibe.
Where as the art direction in Odyssey often feels like one big development joke with derpy placeholder assets that they never got around to replacing. I hate the realistic T-Rex and those Sonic 06 New Donkers, it looks hideous and is gonna age like milk.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Yep.
I strongly prefer the cartoony cohesiveness of 3D World and Galaxy games; everything FEELS like it belongs in Mario and has a timeless vibe.
Where as the art direction in Odyssey often feels like one big development joke with derpy placeholder assets that they never got around to replacing. I hate the realistic T-rex and those Sonic 06 New Donkers, its all ugly and is gonna age like milk.

New Donk City gives me SA1 Station Square vibes

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I love the super clean graphics of 3D World but Odyssey was the fresh burst of creativity the series needed. I want them to push it further, honestly. Give me more weird locales, even if it means their execution is a little more messy than in a 'safe' Mario title

Also the Station Square vibes were felt on my end too, but it must have been intentional. Anything other than a deeply artificial approximation of 'real life' would look super wrong in a Mario game.

Oct 27, 2017
New Donk City gives me SA1 Station Square vibes
Haha, right.
Honestly, the SA1 vibes don't stop there with Odyssey. "Jump Up Superstar" feels like something Sonic Team would do; catchy and fun, but super fuckin' cornball.
I really hope that the future of Mario is defined by this kind of thing though...I hated how Sonic went from badass funky New Jack Swing to cheesy vocals over bubblegum pop and played out butt-rock.

Last edited:

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Hated how sterile 3D World looked and mostly hated how it played.

Odyssey is better in pretty much everything except maybe the music.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Breaking out of the traditional "Mario aesthetic" was the best thing that Odyssey could do. The series was stuck in a major rut in terms of visual design. And yes, I feel like to you did cherry pick the Odyssey screenshots to fit your argument a bit.

Absolutely this. If we are talking art style rather than graphics, Odyssey was a huge breath of relief from me after the over-homogenizing of titles for a full generation.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Haha, right.
Honestly, the SA1 vibes don't stop there with Odyssey. "Jump Up Superstar" feels like something Sonic Team would do; catchy and fun, but super fuckin' cornball.
I really hope that the future of Mario is defined by this kind of thing though...I hated how Sonic went from badass funky New Jack Swing to cheesy vocals over bubblegum pop and played out butt-rock.

Yeah SA1/SA2 (and Heroes imo) do have some catchy music for sure.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
False to you, because it's subjective - hence my OP ending with "Opinions", and the poll results not being something like "100% vs 0%".
You had to introduce emulator screenshots for it to even come close to being subjective.

It's like saying my Hyundai Elantra is faster than my neighbors Camaro but my Elantra has some exotic mods and nitrous.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey is "better" on a technical standpoint. The problem it still manages to look worse than Galaxy.

Washed out colors, blurry because of fxaa and inconsistent visual design.