• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Current sales at 10.10M. Biggest entry before it was Mario Party DS at 9.31M.

Big accomplishment, and it has been selling like an evergreen, so expect it to go on for a while still, assuming no new entry comes out in the near future.

Historical sales for the franchise

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
As a reference:

Mario Party DS: 9.31
Mario Party 8: 8.85
Mario Party 9: 3.11
Mario Party: 2.7
Mario Party: Island Tour: 2.68
Mario Party 2: 2.48
Mario Party 4: 2.46
Mario Party 10: 2.19
Mario Party 5: 2.17
Mario Party 7: 2.08
Mario Party 3: 1.91
Mario Party 6: 1.63
Mario Party Advance: <1
Mario Party: Star Rush: <1
Mario Party The Top 100: <1

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This is one Nintendo franchise where annualized installments would be great -- something new to play with family and friends each holiday. But with legs like that...

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
As a reference:

Mario Party DS: 9.31
Mario Party 8: 8.85
Mario Party 9: 3.11
Mario Party: 2.7
Mario Party: Island Tour: 2.68
Mario Party 2: 2.48
Mario Party 4: 2.46
Mario Party 10: 2.19
Mario Party 5: 2.17
Mario Party 7: 2.08
Mario Party 3: 1.91
Mario Party 6: 1.63
Mario Party Advance: <1
Mario Party: Star Rush: <1
Mario Party The Top 100: <1
Thanks, I've threadmarked your post!

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
It's a great game but short on content unfortunately. Would probably still play it weekly with family if they updated the game with new courses and games.

Hope they will do that with the follow up.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is one Nintendo franchise where annualized installments would be great -- something new to play with family and friends each holiday. But with legs like that...

Back in the Gamecube days the series was annualized. 4-7 all came out a year after each other. It was a good time to be a MP fan.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Most fun I've had with a Mario Party since GameCube. I enjoyed the direction they went with this and I'm excited to see where they go from here.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
The internet exists, as does word of mouth.

Claiming nobody of the literal 10m people that bought this knew what they were buying is just hyperbole.

Nobody !== most or many

Pretty low bar you set yourself there. And games can be great *despite* themselves. This game is great despite the lack of board content (it clearly has lots of content but a lot of it is nonsense).

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
If only it received DLC. It could really do with a few more boards, maybe some extra characters or minigames. It's a shame really, but you can't argue with numbers like that. Perhaps they wanted to save everything for a sequel.

The game is great though, had such a good time with it. Though I wish stars weren't as cheap as they are.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never thought that the DS game would be beaten, and certainly not by a full price console MP. There's absolutely gonna be another MP on the horizon.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea Mario Party DS was so big but that makes a ton of sense.

Congrats to Nintendo. I personally wish they added more boards but the base game was a good return to form after all the car bullshit.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I never thought that the DS game would be beaten, and certainly not by a full price console MP. There's absolutely gonna be another MP on the horizon.

I think SMP2 is a good candidate for an, oh, I'm going to say September 2021 release. Gives them a Mario/multiplayer title for the fall/holiday, before shifting focus to BotW2.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insane considering it's a low tier MP with zero post launch support.

Yup. I bought it full price (well, sort of, I used the 100 Euros ticket to buy two games), and while it was worth it because we messed around a lot with my fiancé and buddies... it's absurd they got away with this. Only a handful of very limited tables, practically non-existent multiplayer, zero post launch support. This was my first Mario Party and I enjoyed it, but I was familiar with boards and gameplay of older games and this doesn't even come close. If Nintendo's plan for future games is selling barebones sequels that reuse most prior content or remove tons of depth, selling them at a higher price than they normally would and not supporting them decently... well, I won't be around for that.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, what a turnaround from Wii U where stuff barely sold, and now we almost every 1st party release is breaking records.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Huge shock there was no DLC for this. This game needs more content.

There was no dlc because any efforts on that front no doubt went in to developing Super Mario Party 2.

I'd be shocked if they weren't planning for that to release this year. Two years between games is already much longer than normal for the franchise (most of its life bar a hiatus in the Wii era, it's been a yearly franchise).

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Splatoon 2 also crossed the 10M mark which is even more impressive for the second entry in the franchise.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
also very interesting that MP was one of the only series that actually sold better on GC than the N64

actually, i think it may HAVE been the only one

edit: oof, forgot melee. silly me

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
underserved, this game was a disappointment when me and my friends played it. that is 2 gens in a row we have been disappointed by MP, the only difference is this one released on a popular system.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jv8rZKH.gif

...besides Nintendo (lol)

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
It shows that pretty much any first party Nintendo game on the Switch is a gold mine

Incredible

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well you gotta buy 2 to have the same amount of content as former MP games, so...

It's a good game, but ffs let us have more maps and minigames.

Knightsoftheround

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 7, 2020
It's unbelievable how little they have supported this game with those sales numbers. It's incredibly lacking in content.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It's decent but very barebones. I wouldn't have bought it with benefit of hindsight. Can't even be arsed having voiceovers so kids can better understand what going on.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There was no dlc because any efforts on that front no doubt went in to developing Super Mario Party 2.

I'd be shocked if they weren't planning for that to release this year. Two years between games is already much longer than normal for the franchise (most of its life bar a hiatus in the Wii era, it's been a yearly franchise).
They are working un Clubhouse Games

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Just wish that it had more boards and that the boards matched more of the wacky themed charm of Mario Party 2 and 3.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The maps are easily the most egregious thing about this game.

I mean, look at this shit:

Super-Mario-Party_Review_5.jpg
The maps look simple, but in practice these more focused maps have some of the best pacing and moment-to-moment comebacks in the series, imo. I wouldn't embellish the layouts too much. Main thing I'd like to see is more scenic detail for atmosphere and a sense of place.