• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's your favorite party member?

• Mario

Votes: 105 13.9%
  • Mallow

Votes: 126 16.7%
  • Geno

Votes: 257 34.0%
  • Bowser

Votes: 192 25.4%
  • Peach

Votes: 76 10.1%

• Total voters

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
image.png

image.png

Release Date: November 17th, 2023
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo, ArtePiazza
System: Nintendo Switch
Number of Players: 1
Price: US$ 59.99 / £49.99 / ¥6,500 (Game is eligible for the NSO Game Voucher Program in all regions where it is available)
Game File Size: 8GB
Language: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
Special Thanks: Square Enix

image.png

Enter—or revisit—a world of whimsy with Mario on a quest to repair Star Road and defeat the troublemaking Smithy Gang. Team up with a party of unlikely allies, like the monstrous Bowser and a mysterious doll named Geno, in a story-rich RPG packed with laughs and quirky characters.

image.png

10ocfG5.jpg

SiFf5mI.jpg

RQLBPUf.jpg

image.png
Adventure around this familiar yet unfamiliar land.
original

image.png

Play in a isometric 3D platforming world and return to turned based Mario RPG in this remake of a classic

9070eebebcd831d53996ed95ab2663ccec45b182.gifv

Something new to the gameplay. However, the Action Gauge:
"Successful Action Commands (timed button presses during attack or defense actions — a staple of the original game) will now fill an Action Gauge (seen in the lower-left corner of the gif below). Perfectly timed attacks will result in damage being done to all enemies. When the Action Gauge reaches 100%, you can perform a powerful, three-person attack. The specific attack will vary based on the combination of characters in your party — each possible grouping will seemingly have a unique Triple Move."

show

image.png

Post-Game Boss Rematches: Not only can you fight the bosses you beat in the game, but they will be way harder than the original fight!
Super-Mario-RPG-post-game-boss-rematches-scaled.jpg

Monster List: Like Paper Mario, SMRPG now features a monster list that will give you information on the enemies you have defeated, how many of them you have defeated, etc
imagem-2023-11-01-211826242_sbuc.960.jpg

Difficulty Modes: Starting the game, you can choose between "Breezy Mode" and "Normal Mode.", normal mode is the regular mode, while breezy mode is the "beginner mode" like you see in other RPGs.

show

Music: You can listen to the SNES version of SMRPG or the new version!

View: https://twitter.com/SuperMarioOOC85/status/1702358038680605034?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1702358038680605034%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

There is another new things to the game as well, but that's a secret :)

Media:

Super Mario RPG Announcement Trailer
Super Mario RPG September 2023 Direct Footage
Overview Trailer

Now, let's go back to Mario RPG and make SMRPG2 happen!

dgekius-6e3b83c5-f5ba-48fa-9bea-07f89101755f.gif

Thank you to poptire for the amazing banners!

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
I wasn't interested on this game until I heard a few samples of the soundtrack last weekend. Now I can't frigging wait to get my hands on it!
My copy should be delivered tomorrow... LET'S GO!!!

Also, well done OP!

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Awesome OT. I can't believe how much I'm anticipating this release and also how blindly I'm trying to go into something I largely know how the experience will go. I'm so excited to be part of a Day 1 SMRPG experience here in 2023.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
super excited for this game, and I pray that it sells enough to send a message to Nintendo re: Mario RPGs and complete stories in Mario games

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
CAN'T WAIT! Picking up my Best Buy copy bright and early on Friday.

mario-dance.gif

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I was confused why I had a $60 charge from Amazon until I realized we're getting the game already! So hyped. One of my favorite games from my childhood and have lots of nostalgia. Hope I can get even a fraction of the enjoyment I had as a kid with my brother and I'll be one happy camper. So happy this game looks fantastic on Switch.

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorites. Looking forward to playing through it again. Haven't played all the way through it in ages.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Damn...really want to get this but those late game performance issues ign pointed out sound bad.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Fingers crossed Nintendo actually takes feedback into account and allows for some performance patching.

*looks at Link's Awakening* damn all hope is lost

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Only got to the pirate ship on the Snes mini. Ready to blast through this this weekend, used the voucher and a discounted Eshop card to get it for $40!

Chaotix12345

Apr 3, 2023
Getting my copy for Christmas since it's not that far away and the prospect of getting a modern remake of my favorite game ever as a holiday gift just sounds magical. Hope everyone enjoys in the meantime! (Especially those who've never had the pleasure of experiencing the original.)

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
My wife is getting me this for X-mas so I have to wait for it.... Grandia should keep me busy until then but damn I'm psyched for this!

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
owning a launch Switch has its advantages, my shit is hacked and I overclock that sucka every time I play a single player game on Switch. I don't gotta worry about a thing, I'm ready for good vibes

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how crappy this month has been for me (other remaining parent passed away last week), having a childhood favorite to dig into come Friday will be a welcome sight.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Is there any sort of obtuse stuff I should be aware of before playing this for the first time?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Great OT :) Very excited to play this. I've never played the original at all, but I've always wanted to give the game a try and the remake looks super charming. Think I'm gonna have to pick this up.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any sort of obtuse stuff I should be aware of before playing this for the first time?
not really, unless you're going for 100%, which isn't really something I'd recommend unless you're really into the game - not because it's not doable, in fact it's not that hard, you just won't get much from it but a vague sense of accomplishment. if that's your thing, then there's only like 3 missable secrets or obtainable items in the whole game (2 of which are tied to minigames, and the other is basically at the beginning of the game), so you can just look those up ahead of time

game is pretty straightforward and easy to learn, otherwise.

edit: actually there is one thing

when a character levels up, you're given a choice to pick one of 3 of their stats to boost.

every time that character levels up, 1 of those 3 stat boosts is going to be a higher-than-normal stat boost. that higher-than-normal choice will cycle between the 3 options as the character continues to level up. so you can either prioritize the higher stat boost with each level up, and guarantee yourself some fairly strong all-arounders, or you can prioritize certain stats for each character instead, by forgoing picking the higher stat boost for a stat you don't like, in favor of a more modest stat boost for the stat you want to raise more, instead.

Last edited:

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
This game is one of my wife's favorites. We're kinda sad because we wanna play with the kids, but they're going to be visiting the grandparents this saturday for a whole week lmao

Maybe I'll just make two save files! XD

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you're going for 100% then there's a missable invisible chest at the very start of the game in Peach's Castle.

One of the pieces of ultimate armor is awarded to you for jumping on a single enemy with the super jump ability 100 times in a row.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I am looking forward to playing this for the first time. I have only tried it via emulator years ago but it wasn't the best experience and I stopped before I got any character other than Mallow. My only concern is that reviews have said this is super easy which is disappointing.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
not really, unless you're going for 100%, which isn't really something I'd recommend unless you're really into the game - not because it's not doable, in fact it's not that hard, you just won't get much from it but a vague sense of accomplishment. if that's your thing, then there's only like 3 missable secrets or obtainable items in the whole game (2 of which are tied to minigames, and the other is basically at the beginning of the game), so you can just look those up ahead of time

game is pretty straightforward and easy to learn, otherwise.

edit: actually there is one thing

when a character levels up, you're given a choice to pick one of 3 of their stats to boost.

every time that character levels up, 1 of those 3 stat boosts is going to be a higher-than-normal stat boost. that higher-than-normal choice will cycle between the 3 options as the character continues to level up. so you can either prioritize the higher stat boost with each level up, and guarantee yourself some fairly strong all-arounders, or you can prioritize certain stats for each character instead, by forgoing picking the higher stat boost for a stat you don't like, in favor of a more modest stat boost for the stat you want to raise more, instead.
If you're going for 100% then there's a missable invisible chest at the very start of the game in Peach's Castle.

One of the pieces of ultimate armor is awarded to you for jumping on a single enemy with the super jump ability 100 times in a row.
Thanks for the info!

Sangral