• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
A Famitsu interview with Toshihiro Nagoshi and Masao Shirosaki was recently released to coincide with the new SMB announcement. Only half of it really pertains to Banana Blitz HD, but you can read the full translation at the link: https://nintendoeverything.com/super-monkey-ball-banana-blitz-hd-interview-remake/

Have there been any particularly difficult aspects during the remake process?

Shirosaki:
Well, it seems like a casual game but designing the levels is actually very challenging. We have to make 100 levels of difficulty since there are 100 courses in the main game. So that means the difficulty needs to be integrated into the scale of game's general world from the very beginning, which is really hard to do. It's no fun if we make stages that are too easy; on the other end of the spectrum, we can't create stages that only a select group of skilled players can clear, either.

Nagoshi: Like Shirosaki said, it might look like a simple game at first glance, but once you consider the layout of the courses and the level design, that's when you realize it's a game that puts the creator's abilities to the test.

So in Banana Blitz HD, while you'll be adding in new features and leaving in ones that passionate fans enjoy, you'll also be balancing the difficulty for those who are brand new to the game. Is that right?

Shirosaki:
That's correct. We're making the beginning stages easy to beat, however the latter stages are giving our developers a real run for their money. When I finally cleared all the stages in the game, I shouted, "YES!" (embarrassed laughter) I didn't even realize. I really think players are going to get a great sense of accomplishment when they try the game out.

Wow, we can't wait! In addition to "Time Attack Mode", you'll also be adding a new "Decathlon Mode", too. Could you tell us how this came about?

Shirosaki:
We put together 10 different mini-games but we thought it was kind of a shame that they could only be played in multiplayer mode. So we tried to figure out a different style of play that used all the mini-games, and that's how "Decathlon Mode" came to be. It's a mode where the player challenges themselves to beat 10 mini-games in a row. We can't share any further details just yet, but there are going to be a lot of hidden features in there, so please look forward to future announcements. I was totally addicted to this game when I was younger, so I'm putting in a ton of Easter eggs and details!

It's not an incredibly enlightening interview, but I find it interesting that they're talking about the game like they're making a lot of changes. The screenshots we've seen make it look like a typical remaster, but things like "designing the levels is actually very challenging" seem a bit weird to say if it's just a straight port with no need for altered level design. Maybe they plan on doing a "New Mode" with revamped level design alongside a "Classic Mode" that's identical to the Wii version?

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to playing more Monkey Ball, regardless if this is one of the weaker entries.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds more like they're using the old game as the aesthetic base, gutting it, and making/redesigning all the levels. I'm super down for that

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Huh, so they'll be changing the level design? There's a chance it'll be good then.

Nov 23, 2017
Really wish theyd straight up clarify what's actually remade or changed, I can't handle not knowing if I'm extremely disappointed or not. The jump button isn't a deal breaker personally but the general level style was only pretty average compared to the first two.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
They really should have gone with a different title if it's going to have new level designs, like the japanese version seems to have.