• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/_4-5fe6CpSc?si=ZVr0MGbNKrONFJTY

The core single player monkey ball portion of this game looks solid, but speaking as one of the many people who equate this franchise to the multiplayer minigames, this is not what I'm looking for at all from Monkey Ball multiplayer. Give me party games!

I'm still keeping an open mind because you never know, but I admit that I'm not terribly excited about what I'm seeing.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Looks fine to me.

The party games were only great in 1&2, Banana Blitz for example was appalling. So all for them trying something new.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
After what happened with the minigames in Banana Mania, I'd prefer they'd stay away from the classic minigames forever.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Huh, they're gonna do this and the Sonic Fall Guys thing at the same time? Don't they step on eachothers toes a bit?

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
They've screwed up Monkey Target in every game since 2 so I'm fine with them going a new direction.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe there will still be Party Games? Monkey Ball 1 & 2 had both mini games and party games in different menus.

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
I was expecting way worse from the title. I kind of like how the modes all seem to be built off the core gameplay, which hopefully leads to them being more refined.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, looks very much Fall Guys inspired. I miss Monkey Target and Fight, but those are hard to top.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
That looks really fun actually.

SMB 1 and 2 were the only ones with good minigames, so I'm ok with this new direction if this is all we have.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess the big question is if the party games are going to have Local Multiplayer options are not.

I know they've confirmed 4 player split screen for the adventure mode, has the same been confirmed for party mode yet? Can you take 4 people online together?

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The core single player monkey ball portion of this game looks solid, but speaking as one of the many people who equate this franchise to the multiplayer minigames, this is not what I'm looking for at all from Monkey Ball multiplayer. Give me party games!

I mean let's face it, it's been over two decades since this franchise had party games worth talking about. They couldn't even get it right when all they had to do were straight remakes of existing ones. The talent behind those is just not there anymore. I'd rather see them try a multiplayer mode like this that builds on the great core gameplay instead of more mediocre-at-best minigames.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Considering how botched party games were in Banana Mania (despite being a remake of the two), and the only ones of note were from the first two games, I'm fine with them doing something using the regular gameplay instead of another rubbish party game collection.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This always looked fun to me. Though the mini games were never the biggest pull for me in SMB.

So I'm also glad they're doing something new. Plus this looks more fun.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
I love the optimism in this thread, I hope you're all more right than I am
To be honest, I don't know why people look forward to them creating minigames of the first two games nature when that part of those games have been rubbish at best since after those two. It's been very clear for decades that this team can't for the life of them make really good party games

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
As someone who liked the multiplayer that let you play the main mode back when that was a thing, this looks pretty fun to me!

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I don't know why people look forward to them creating minigames of the first two games nature when that part of those games have been rubbish at best since after those two.
I think it's because, at least up to this point, none of the alternatives they've offered have been any good either. 20+ years later, those original party games are still peak Monkey Ball multiplayer, so that's still the bar to reach. Hopefully this is the game to buck that trend, but going off of past offerings I'm not holding my breath

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This looks great! Not dust off my Switch great, but I'd be so down on something else.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
I think it's because, at least up to this point, none of the alternatives they've offered have been any good either. 20+ years later, those original party games are still peak Monkey Ball multiplayer, so that's still the bar to reach. Hopefully this is the game to buck that trend, but going off of past offerings I'm not holding my breath
This sentiment is very understandable, especially after being burned so many times with past entries. However, this is why I welcome a big change like this because Sega for the longest time has tried to recapture what the old Party games from 1 & 2 did instead of letting the new team play to their own strengths and every single time, they failed. And based on the acclaimed previews that are out right now, it seems RGG Studios found their own sweet spot as far as how to handle minigames(and multiplayer in general it seems).

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This sentiment is very understandable, especially after being burned so many times with past entries. However, this is why I welcome a big change like this because Sega for the longest time has tried to recapture what the old Party games from 1 & 2 did instead of letting the new team play to their own strengths and every single time, they failed. And based on the acclaimed previews that are out right now, it seems RGG Studios found their own sweet spot as far as how to handle minigames(and multiplayer in general it seems).
Is there a preview drop for the multiplayer mode I haven't seen??!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
With the disaster that the party games have been more often than not, not a big deal

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Echoing the "Banana Mania borked the classic games so bad I don't wanna see 'em again" sentiment here. Everything from Monkey Fight's botched physics to Monkey Target's downgraded water (how do you make that look worse than on Gamecube?! Used to be gorgeous.) was such a turn-off that I never bothered giving multiplayer a second chance. (Thankfully, the solo-play still held up IMO, although I know some folks didn't care for the new physics.)

I'll wait to gauge the consensus before committing to a purchase, but the new stuff looks fun! At this stage, I'm not expecting any new Monkey Ball to surpass the originals, so I'd just like to play a competent follow-up.

Last edited:

Tea-Stance

Feb 11, 2024

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
Everyone's kinda already said what I'd say. I mean this looks good, and theyve butchered the party games for a long time anyway... the "not like this.gif" in the thread title had me expecting something bad.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Looks fantastic. I hated the party games.

The party games in SMB2 were top tier, but the harsh reality is they've been fairly mediocre to downright bad in just about every subsequent game. Once they botched the Monkey Target remake in Banana mania, I finally relinquished all remaining hope of a mini game glory day renaissance