• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Hey everyone! Over the past three months or so, I've been working tirelessly on a project in my free time while quarantined that I'm very proud of and quite excited to finally share with you all (if mods feel that this being its own thread isn't appropriate and it belongs in the Mario Maker 2 thread, please feel free to move it). To start with, here's a trailer that I cut together to showcase the game:

"Back of the box" sales pitch:

🍄 Explore 35 levels full of secrets, spanning 7 unique worlds!
🍄 Experience Mario like never before in a variety of challenges that put Mario and Yoshi's abilities to the ultimate test!
🍄 Master the various power-ups found across five different "game styles", ranging from Super Mario Bros. 3's Frog Suit to New Super Mario Bros. U's Super Acorn, and many more!
🍄 Whether you are a casual player or a Mario veteran, SUPER NOSTALGIA WORLD will take you back to the glory days!

Check it out now and prepare to experience Mario's next adventure! (Maker ID: TGC-6K3-NCG)

This is a fan made project that I created using Super Mario Maker 2, designed to be played as a single player game. I took the approach of trying to make it as accessible as possible at the start, with a difficulty that scales up faster and eventually exceeds the challenge of what might be found in a game like Super Mario World (without coming anywhere close to levels that troll players, or extremely technical ones that the community refers to as "Kaizo" difficulty). Every level is full of secrets and side challenges and I made sure to set the timer to the max (500 seconds) for each to encourage exploration. Ultimately, my goal was to make "traditional" levels so that the game would feel as "Nintendo" like as possible, while still giving players a bit more of a challenge by the time they reach the mid to late game...you guys be the judge if I succeeded or not!

While some levels would work in multiplayer mode better than others, I highly suggest that it either be played as a single player game or taking turns instead of playing simultaneously as the camera will likely cause issues in most of them. SUPER NOSTALGIA WORLD utilizes a mix of all available game styles (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros. U, and Super Mario 3D World), but is predominantly presented in the Super Mario World game style.

I don't even know how many hours in total I spent on this, but it's been...a lot. I was toying with the idea of creating an eighth "bonus" world containing super challenging levels that would be considered the "post game", but I decided it was time to stop before I burn out. If this ends up being well received, I'm planning on possibly going back and adding that bonus world at a later date.

It was an extremely daunting project, but I'm glad I stuck with it and am finally ready to share it!

======================================================================================

UPDATE - 7/24/2020:

SUPER NOSTALGIA WORLD: REMUSHROOMED is out!

FULL CHANGELOG

As many of you might be aware, in the month since I released the game, I've been hard at work fixing issues and improving the levels based on feedback, observations, and new ideas. What was meant to be a minor re-tune here and there ended up being much more than that, as I ended up adding sections throughout the game and overhauling areas I felt were lacking or could use improvement in some shape or form. After all was said and done, I ended up editing 25 of the 35 levels in the game to some degree.

For a comprehensive look at these changes, you're welcome to check out the full changelog linked above (WARNING: It's a lot). I don't expect people to be interested enough to comb through every little detail and comment I made, but for myself and for anyone else who might want to see exactly what was changed and why, I wanted to keep documentation of it all and be 100% transparent about it.

Resetera was a huge source of inspiration for me to keep pushing myself to improve this, so thank you to each and every one of you for playing and for all of the encouragement and feedback.

Last edited:

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Very nice trailer you put together! Might fire this up for some pass and play with the wife for our weekend date night...

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
From the trailer it looks right up my alley when it comes to the type of Mario Maker levels that I love. I might not get around to playing it now, but it's definitely going on my to-do list!

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you will try it out. The most dreadful thing of smm2 are the crappy user levels that somehow gets top ratings. I want to play an endless stream of well designed levels so I will give this a go.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
I don't have my copy but great trailer, I have to remember this thread for later when my bro gives my game back lol.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
That looks incredible. Traditional Mario levels with a focus on flow are much more exciting to me than the genre-bending gimmick levels that many people tend to make.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This looks really good, amazing job on the trailer OP! SMM2 deserves so much better and it's a shame it seemed to fizzle out, but I'll definitely hop back on myself to give this a try.

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks everyone! I'm really glad you like the trailer and hope the game lives up to your expectations. After you give it a shot I'd love to hear what you think. Also a friend of mine is probably going to stream himself playing it later tonight and I'll likely be joining him to chat while he plays. When he goes live I'll be sure to post a link here for anyone who might want to check it out.

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to give a heads up that my friend is about to start streaming his play-through in case anyone is interested in checking it out: https://www.twitch.tv/chodapoppin

I'm also going to be on Discord with him while he plays for shits and giggles.

EasyMode

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I finished the world in 2 sittings yesterday and really enjoyed it. Well thought out levels with clever alternate paths and hidden items that reward exploration. The difficulty ramps up gradually, starting at what feels like Normal and ending at around Expert. I don't have any major criticisms, although I do feel the last level could use an extra checkpoint.
Between the 2 mini Bowser fights

Great work!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
that looks amazing, you can make "full games" on mario maker? I thought you just made random levels, but this has a overworld and everything?

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
I finished the world in 2 sittings yesterday and really enjoyed it. Well thought out levels with clever alternate paths and hidden items that reward exploration. The difficulty ramps up gradually, starting at what feels like Normal and ending at around Expert. I don't have any major criticisms, although I do feel the last level could use an extra checkpoint.
Between the 2 mini Bowser fights

Great work!

Thanks so much for playing it and for sharing your feedback! I seriously appreciate it. I tried really hard to fine tune the difficulty in the way you described so it's great to hear that it worked out for you how I intended it.

If I could I would :( 2 is the limit. I had to make the call on having the first checkpoint before the first Bowser fight or after it. In your opinion, should I move the first one after the first Bowser fight?

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
that looks amazing, you can make "full games" on mario maker? I thought you just made random levels, but this has a overworld and everything?
In the latest update a few months back, they added the ability for users to create world maps (consisting of up to 8). It's what inspired the whole idea, it happened basically right when quarantine started.

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
Damn I found a minor issue in one of my levels last night. It's not game breaking but the perfectionist in me really wants to take it down and fix it real quick before it gets more likes and plays, but doing so will reset the progress of anyone who saved their game so far. :(

I think I'm going to wait a week or two since there are people currently playing through it and that should give many enough time to utilize their saved games. It will also give me some time to find some other issues that I could potentially fix when i do end up taking it down real quick to fix that one thing that I found. It would suck to have to take it down multiple times so I'll just wait and give it a chance for the bugs and issues to come out xD let me know if you find any soft locks or places you get stuck or anything like that!

Last edited:

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished World 1, and it feels like an EAD-designed game. Even in the first few levels, it has the same sense of exploration, of putting secrets juuuust out of sight, of intentionality in design.

By the end of the first World, I wasn't thinking "wow, this is a great collection of Mario Maker levels," I was thinking "wow, this is a really fun Mario game." That's about the highest praise I can offer. Really, well done!

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
Awesome levels. I'm on world 2
damn good so far getting ready for world 3
I just finished World 1, and it feels like an EAD-designed game. Even in the first few levels, it has the same sense of exploration, of putting secrets juuuust out of sight, of intentionality in design.

By the end of the first World, I wasn't thinking "wow, this is a great collection of Mario Maker levels," I was thinking "wow, this is a really fun Mario game." That's about the highest praise I can offer. Really, well done!

Thanks guys...that definitely is the highest praise I can hope for and I appreciate you giving the game a chance and your time. <3

I did have a question about a level on World 2 (2-3 - Lurid Lake). I'm planning on doing a pass on certain levels as bugs/issues come up to fix, but until then I was hoping on receiving some critical feedback where possible (I might come up with a questionnaire to send out to people who played the game). I'm curious if the fact that this level autoscrolls is an impedance on the enjoyment of it? It was actually designed at first to NOT be an autoscroll swimming level, with the intention of having the player explore freely. When I was testing it I felt like it ended up feeling a little too long, so the motivation behind adding autoscroll here was to gently push the player forward forcing them down specific paths to make the swimming section feel more streamlined, and to add some replay value when playing the game again (if ever) by having multiple paths to swim down upon replays, instead of making completionists feel obligated to explore every corner of the level all in one go. Honestly though, I really wish that there was one slower autoscroll option available for us to use...in Super Mario World there was definitely a slower autoscroll than the slowest one Mario Maker 2 provides.

But if you guys think being able to freely swim and explore to find all of the secrets would improve it and be a more fun experience, I would gladly remove the autoscroll when I do my Q&A pass in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to the end of world 3 last night with the missus. This is well done OP. Really well executed and polished levels. My wife asked how I knew you and if you were a coworker or something (I work in game dev).

My wife did not like the auto scroll on the swimming world.

I dislike the constraints of the editor preventing you from capitalizing on your secret exits, especially since I saw some I couldn't figure out how to access :)

Also, we were both ready to hate you forever after the intro segment of the castle in world 3 (or was it the tower?) where we had to maze between the bullet Bill's, but thankfully you didnt let that gimmick outlive its welcome

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if the fact that this level autoscrolls is an impedance on the enjoyment of it?
I come in with the bias of being Decidedly Not A Fan of swimming stages, so keep that in mind: for me, the autoscroll more or less means I'm unlikely to go back to the stage to explore - the combination of swimming-stage mechanics and the tension of the scroll makes it a level that I'm glad to get through, not one I'm looking to play again. Lack of autoscroll would at least make it more likely that I'd poke around a bit.

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
Made it to the end of world 3 last night with the missus. This is well done OP. Really well executed and polished levels. My wife asked how I knew you and if you were a coworker or something (I work in game dev).

My wife did not like the auto scroll on the swimming world.

I dislike the constraints of the editor preventing you from capitalizing on your secret exits, especially since I saw some I couldn't figure out how to access :)

Also, we were both ready to hate you forever after the intro segment of the castle in world 3 (or was it the tower?) where we had to maze between the bullet Bill's, but thankfully you didnt let that gimmick outlive its welcome

Thanks for this awesome feedback. I think that after talking to a few people, I'm going to be removing the autoscroll from Lurid Lake when I end up doing my tweak pass on it based on feedback.

And I definitely almost made a lot more of that narrow, short Mario, Bullet Bill maze section, but felt that it could be potentially way too punishing for a World 2 level if it overstayed its welcome. xD I'm really glad that it wasn't enough to discourage you and your wife from getting through it, although I have a feeling in the later, more challenging worlds, you both might hate me for other reasons. :P (hopefully not, though!)

Denali_

Oct 23, 2019
Well this looks exactly like what I'm after when searching for new exciting worlds to play, I'm gonna give it a try as soon as possible! I'm kind of new to mario maker and it really feels like the ability to make whole worlds is such a fantastic addition for us that wants to play well made, traditional levels! Looking forward to try it out! ☺️

Oct 27, 2017
Playing this now. I'll edit with my impressions. :)

Edit: I'm almost done with the first world, and I really, really enjoy these levels. It feels like a new Mario game to play. Super excited to go through the rest. If anything pops up that wows me I'll make sure to chime in with more comments, but for now, THANK YOU, MisterAnderson/OP. Seriously. I have a really great reason to boot up this game again.

2nd edit: I actually really liked Lurid Lake. But I'm a weirdo -- I've grown to really enjoy water levels over the years. The combination of the pace of the scroll with the relatively spaced out environment worked for me.

Last edited:

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
This is exactly the type of levels I expected and wanted to find in Mario maker (and seldom do), will definitely give it a try. Thank you for creating and sharing this.

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
2nd edit: I actually really liked Lurid Lake. But I'm a weirdo -- I've grown to really enjoy water levels over the years. The combination of the pace of the scroll with the relatively spaced out environment worked for me.

Thanks for your extremely kind feedback! It's making all the hard work worth it reading comments like yours :) As for Lurid Lake, I'm curious. In your play-through of it, did you find the
Spike Helmet?
Of 3 people I've watched play it so far, I have yet to see someone go that path and find it.

HannibalJones

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for your extremely kind feedback! It's making all the hard work worth it reading comments like yours :) As for Lurid Lake, I'm curious. In your play-through of it, did you find the
Spike Helmet?
Of 3 people I've watched play it so far, I have yet to see someone go that path and find it.

I've just completed World 2 and am thoroughly enjoying this so far. It does feel like an EAD-developed Mario game so far, to the extent that I can guess which power-up is inside a ?-block before I hit it!
I enjoyed Lurid Lake, I didn't find the spike helmet but I knew it must be in there somewhere as the level design shows you 1-up's etc blocked off by the stone blocks. That tease has made me keen to go back to that level once I finish the rest of the game and the autoscroll encourages replaying the whole level rather than doing a thorough exploration on the first visit. Personally, I think having the autoscroll there is preferable to not having it.
I loved the bullet bill maze in world 2, I found that section incredibly fun and not too difficult for how early in the game it is. Great work on this, it definitely deserves to receive a lot more plays and likes than it already has!

Oct 27, 2017
Spike Helmet?
i didn't find the
spike helmet!
i had no idea there was one! but that's cool, it makes the level replayable.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this more traditional levels or is it a lot of puzzle levels? Thats the one thing i havent been a massive fan of in mario maker so far