• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dcx4610

Nov 13, 2017
Can anyone explain how saves work with the jailbreak? Let's take something like Link to the Past for instance, you name your character and create a save file and play the game. When you create the save file in the game, does it automatically place a save file on the card like you were playing a cart or do you have to do something special with the D+Select menu?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain how saves work with the jailbreak? Let's take something like Link to the Past for instance, you name your character and create a save file and play the game. When you create the save file in the game, does it automatically place a save file on the card like you were playing a cart or do you have to do something special with the D+Select menu?

The latest version changed this slightly. Pulling up the menu stores your save to the sd card automatically, it used to prompt and ask. You can tell it has done this because the cartridge icon will spin momentarily in the bottom corner (it might be really fast so keep an eye out). You have to do this anytime you want to store your save otherwise if you power off the system any progress will be lost. I try to do it every time I save in game (keep in mind you do need to still save in game), but at the very least make sure you do it at the end of your session before you power down or change games.

Alternatively there is an option in the menu you can enable that will prompt you when you pull up the menu asking if you would like to store the save or not. I personally like having the prompt as a mental check to know for sure I stored my save, and having the option not to store it when going back to the menu is kind of nice in rare cases.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Ultimately, being able to easily play NES & SNES game cartridges on cool looking hardware, on a modern TV, that looks great and has zero input lag is what I find appealing about Analogue and RetroUSBs consoles. If I can do that affordably, even better.
This is such an important thing for me as I know my various CRTs won't last forever and for some games (SNESc is great for many) I just don't want to mess with my muscle memory to enjoy the most out of my older games (and you guys have persuaded me to give a look at the AVS - pending a little NES core never gets ported).

I don't think I'll be getting rid of my Snes 1CHIP's or Jr any time soon, but the Super NT has definitely replaced them. Now that most of the bugs have been worked out, it's just a really great play experience that's also really convenient and fairly priced. It's the kind of device I've been hoping for since around 2010, when I was still using my hacked Wii with emulators.

When they announce the Mega NT, I'll be preordering day one.

I have no intention either to get rid of the SNES and 3 SFCs I have just cuz the SNT is amazing. Perhaps one day in the far future when all of my CRTs have died off, maybe then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alternatively there is an option in the menu you can enable that will prompt you when you pull up the menu asking if you would like to store the save or not. I personally like having the prompt as a mental check to know for sure I stored my save, and having the option not to store it when going back to the menu is kind of nice in rare cases.

Even with the saving muscle memory I have while playing games on SNT, I've found it's good to have enabled for those brain-fart times. ;)

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is Kevtris still planning on fixing/improving scanlines at 1080p?

Not sure if he has ever given an update. But, he has said for forever that his first goal was bug fixes, then he'd redo the scanlines. Since the latest firmware seems to have squashed most of the outstanding bugs, I'd think it'd be time for him to get to the scanlines and whatever shit he intends to add before moving on to whatever is next.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Is Kevtris still planning on fixing/improving scanlines at 1080p?
He mentioned he still wants to redo the scanlines and add an SPC player last week.

kevtris said:
yes I want to redo scanlines totally
and add spc playing
though it will most likely play SPC2 which is a format I made
maybe I can make it load normal SPCs too
SPC2 is a way to pack all the subtunes of a game into a single file that does not use RAR
and it can be used by real hardware
it is roughly analogous to NSF then

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
There's an NT mini With 2x NTT data controllers and 2x SNES ones and a copy of Tengen Tetris for $740 on eBay right now.

I mean after shipping I paid like $500 for mine from Analogue, so that isn't totally unreasonable.

Still a lot of money though.
Well, apparently my husband saw this post because this arrived today, haha

4hNZUlB.jpg

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Well, apparently my husband saw this post because this arrived today, haha
Hahahahaha

Awesome, congrats. It's not a terrible markup on it, looks like Tengen Tetris runs like $50 these days, the NTT controllers run like $40-$50. And the black model was a $50 mark up too. Maybe he used one of the eBay 15% off coupons, eBay has been dropping them like crazy lately.

I used today's eBay coupon to pick up a GeChic portable monitor to use as a laptop monitor substitute for my new desktop (at home and work I run laptop screen with ultrawide above it). As a bonus I can take it with us camping to play NES/SNES classic.

I don't own a lot of NES carts these days but I bought a boxed copy of Dragon Warrior IV and parked the cart in my NT mini.

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Hahahahaha

Awesome, congrats. It's not a terrible markup on it, looks like Tengen Tetris runs like $50 these days, the NTT controllers run like $40-$50. Maybe he used one of the eBay 15% off coupons, eBay has been dropping them like crazy lately.

I picked up a GeChic portable monitor to use as a laptop monitor substitute for my new desktop (at home and work I run laptop screen with ultrawide above it). As a bonus I can take it with us camping to play NES/SNES classic.

I also see 2 snes to nes adapters from raphnet in the box. If he paid $740 for all that, he made out like a bandit.

dcx4610

Nov 13, 2017
The latest version changed this slightly. Pulling up the menu stores your save to the sd card automatically, it used to prompt and ask. You can tell it has done this because the cartridge icon will spin momentarily in the bottom corner (it might be really fast so keep an eye out). You have to do this anytime you want to store your save otherwise if you power off the system any progress will be lost. I try to do it every time I save in game (keep in mind you do need to still save in game), but at the very least make sure you do it at the end of your session before you power down or change games.

So if I create a save file on Link to the Past for instance, if I were to play the game and power off the system, the save file on the game itself would disappear? But if I press Down+Select, it will save and remember? I guess I'm confused on how it works.

It almost sounds like a save state. Is the save file just taking a snapshot of the game at that moment or is it just forcing it to retain the save since there is no battery?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
So if I create a save file on Link to the Past for instance, if I were to play the game and power off the system, the save file on the game itself would disappear? But if I press Down+Select, it will save and remember? I guess I'm confused on how it works.

It almost sounds like a save state. Is the save file just taking a snapshot of the game at that moment or is it just forcing it to retain the save since there is no battery?
You've got it exactly right. It isn't a save state, all pulling up the menu does is copy the SRAM data down to the SD card. Otherwise when the system is powered down the SRAM data is destroyed. Think of it sort of like if you yanked the battery out of your cartridge, save would be lost.

(Maybe the missing piece here for you is when you power the system back up it loads the SRAM data up from the save on the SD card back into the FPGA to "restore it", it does this without informing you. If you didn't copy it down it will either load the last thing copied down or nothing if no sav file exists)

edit: WAIT. I just thought of an easier analogy. Ever used cloud saves? Imagine you had to manual backup your save on your ps4/xbox to the cloud before you turned off your system, because when you turn off your ps4/xbox the local save is deleted. Your SD card is your personal cloud for backing up your save.

Last edited:

shawndumas

Oct 27, 2017
I also see 2 snes to nes adapters from raphnet in the box. If he paid $740 for all that, he made out like a bandit.

I'll give ya'll three guesses where those black button/direction NTTs came from, and the first two don't count » sorry about that, lol...

I took everything I had for my NT and threw it in a box and told my wife to start the bidding at $700 w/$40 shipping and it went up as $700 BiN; oh well.

So glad it went to a good home though, enjoy!

OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Ohh, good eye, didn't notice those. I debated picking up their SNES classic -> SNES adapter for my Super NT.
It doesn't seem like you have yet, but have you tried the Raphnet adapters yet? I'm strongly considering those as well since I have 4 completely unused SNEScMini controllers that I'd like to use (I've been using an 3m extension cable with my Club Nintendo SNES controller).

I'll give ya'll three guesses where those black button/direction NTTs came from, and the first two don't count » sorry about that, lol...
I took everything I had for my NT and threw it in a box and told my wife to start the bidding at $700 w/$40 shipping and it went up as $700 BiN; oh well.
So glad it went to a good home though, enjoy!
So did you replace your MiniNT with an AVS or how do you play NES games now?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The Raphnet adapters are great. I've got the one for classic controller (SNES classic controllers, etc) -> SNES that I'm using on Super NT perfectly. And now I've got these that came with the Nt Mini and they seem fine too.

shawndumas

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't seem like you have yet, but have you tried the Raphnet adapters yet? I'm strongly considering those as well since I have 4 completely unused SNEScMini controllers that I'd like to use (I've been using an 3m extension cable with my Club Nintendo SNES controller).

So did you replace your MiniNT with an AVS or how do you play NES games now?

The Raphnet cables are the business. I highly recommend them.

NB: what I am about to say is my preference. Read it as such.

I realized after getting the Super NT that 16bit is the sweet spot for *my son and I*. As far as *we are concerned*, most of the games we enjoyed best have either remakes or excellent sequels.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I thought about picking up the raphnet adapters, but I already have good SNES controllers from ages ago (my original SNES as a teen).

Seemed silly to add a couple of ms of lag and pay for the adapters just to use the shiny new Classic controllers.

OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Aeana How's the lag in ms on your TV?
shawndumas How about yours? (and the SNES is never a bad sweet spot. ;)
I'm trying to piece it together cuz Raphnet dude says his adapter adds 4ms and I wonder how truly detrimental it is to the zero-lag experience (and it would be nice to use the new SNESc controllers on there too).

shawndumas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to piece it together cuz Raphnet dude says his adapter adds 4ms and I wonder how truly detrimental it is to the zero-lag experience (and it would be nice to use the new SNESc controllers on there too).

I did not have the classic to SNES adapter. Only the SNES to NES adapter. As far as I could tell using 240p test cart there was no lag at all.

OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I did not have the classic to SNES adapter. Only the SNES to NES adapter. As far as I could tell using 240p test cart there was no lag at all.
Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback. :)

A question about playing PAL games on Super NT.
Can I force 60hz?
You can force them, however, it depends on the game's programming if it'll support it properly. Some of the PAL gamers here should know more in depth.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't messed with the hz between regions very much but my understanding is if you

Start a PAL game as PAL at say 1080p60 you will get a game running at 50hz displaying at 60 (might cause tearing?)

After it is started and gotten pass the region check you can go back in the menu and flip it to NTSC (leaving 1080p60 alone). This should force the game to run at 60hz, but depending on the game could screw with the timing/be buggy.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I mostly play NTSC :(

I think you should be fine running PAL at 60hz, issues will likely arise running anything optimised to run at full screen/speed on PAL.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

My problem is, authentic SNES controllers aren't that hard to get ahold of. They're like $10 at my local game store. I bought one just for donor parts for my 8bitdo (which I have kept fiddling with the dpad but I'm still not happy with).

It's hard to pay like $30 shipped a piece for something just to add a tiny tiny bit of lag and to get that new controller feeling. I feel like I could get the face buttons/dpad from the classic and put them in an old SNES controller and that would get me like 80% of the feel.

I haven't done that because SNES classic controllers are hard to come by. I'm more likely to get the raphnet adapters to USB and use the classic controller on my Retropie/PC.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine that the Raphnet adapter is adding any more lag than the wireless receiver that people are using with the Super Nt.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Has anyone else noticed a bug with Squaresoft games where down + select doesn't work right to get the menu? I'm assuming it is the game's built in start+select+L+R key combo interfering. I tried to run the Secret of Mana ROM from SD the other day and down+select wouldn't give me the menu again until I soft-reset with the Start+select+L+R combo. Once I did that I could access the menu again.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Has anyone else noticed a bug with Squaresoft games where down + select doesn't work right to get the menu? I'm assuming it is the game's built in start+select+L+R key combo interfering. I tried to run the Secret of Mana ROM from SD the other day and down+select wouldn't give me the menu again until I soft-reset with the Start+select+L+R combo. Once I did that I could access the menu again.

I get this as well. Sort of makes it impossible to save my games! This is on an 8bitdo.

OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
As a temporary solution, change the down+select to any other button combo so you can continue to play and be able to save.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
If you guys are having trouble bringing up the Menu with 8bitdo controllers, make sure that you are syncing with the Receiver using DirectInput mode (Hold B + Press Start), not macOS mode (Hold A + Press Start).

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah surely the wireless 8bitdo would be just as much lag or worse than using the adapter right?

Orfax

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
A question about playing PAL games on Super NT.
Can I force 60hz?
When I play Terranigma and DKC at 60hz I get some weird (colour?) glitching on the top part of the screen. Its very noticeable and distracting. Switching back to 50hz makes it go away.

Edit: not weird glitching, but screen tearing, which I guess makes sense when mixing 50hz games with a 60hz refresh.

Last edited:

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
With the retro receiver? Wouldn't DirectInput mode be for PC?
I tested it myself. Yes, use DirectInput mode with the Retro Receiver. Typically PC games now use the XInput standard.

And no, this isn't some April Fools joke. I've had this issue before early on, and it was only through testing that I got my menu to work.