T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
If like me you've just got a brand new TV, I just discovered the super resolution setting and the post process AA settings on my TV, holy shit, Switcher has been a blurry mess with a slight improvement made by the mClassic but holy shit I cranked that up and now Witcher 3 is crisp and clear.

Why doesn't the TV just do this as default? I will still keep my 1/4 apology, but Jesus Christ use this setting if you do have it! The AA setting is great too!

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well...

Probably shouldn't because "Super Resolution" probably has some really nasty post-processing effects that could probably cause issues.

Looking up an article real quick, it sounds like it's active post-processing DNR set up to the 'nth degree:

Super Resolution, Reality Creation, Smooth Gradation and other Noise Reduction features: These attempt to make low-quality content look better, sharpening the picture and removing noise and other artifacts caused by digital compression or analog conversion. For high-quality content, like Blu-rays, these are best left off, since they can soften the picture. That said, you may want to turn them on for old DVDs (or even cable TV, if you find that it looks better).

So yeah, uh, maybe best not to have it enabled as default. Much like motion smoothing and interpolation settings that are often enabled by default, which is...

Personally, I'd be good without it. Honestly, OP, this is a setting that shouldn't be on default, because it could cause some issues. And depending on the game, could introduce additional lag that was already there in the game and the normal default input lag TVs have. Much like most post-processing effects on TVs. Plus, seems to be active even for native HD content so it's probably not a good idea to have the setting on 24/7.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you don't mind having 3 years of input lag, sure

May 18, 2018
Nice. I use the Interpolation (with hardly any noticeable input lag) on my Sony XE9005 which makes 30fps games look 60fps so your option on your TV sounds great! My TV doesn't offer that but I'm happy with its interpolation though.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I use the Interpolation (with hardly any noticeable input lag) on my Sony XE9005 which makes 30fps games look 60fps so your option on your TV sounds great! My TV doesn't offer that but I'm happy with its interpolation though.
Bravias should have an option called Reality Creation that sharpens scenes based on an algorithm by Sony. I don't use it though so can't tell how effective it is.

One setting I really like is Smooth Gradations. It seems to be a feature exclusive to Sony TVs and it really helps clean up banding if you ever notice such artifacts in games

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well...

Probably shouldn't because "Super Resolution" probably has some really nasty post-processing effects that could probably cause issues.

Looking up an article real quick, it sounds like it's active post-processing DNR set up to the 'nth degree:

So yeah, uh, maybe best not to have it enabled as default. Much like motion smoothing and interpolation settings that are often enabled by default, which is...

Personally, I'd be good without it. Honestly, OP, this is a setting that shouldn't be on default, because it could cause some issues. And depending on the game, could introduce additional lag that was already there in the game and the normal default input lag TVs have. Much like most post-processing effects on TVs. Plus, seems to be active even for native HD content so it's probably not a good idea to have the setting on 24/7.

You're saying it could cause issues. But what issues? -- other than greater input delay.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I don't like these kinds of post-processing. Sharpening usually destroys details and adds lag.

But to each their own. I had a 768p TV until last year.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Probably artifacts if the TV is adding new information that wasn't there before

Alright. Personally, I can deal with a little artifacting if the overall image is sharper.
Extra sharpness and approximate post-process AA always comes at that cost anyway.

Last edited:

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
How can upscaling can turn a blurry game into a "crisp and clear" game ?
It's not upscaling it's like a sharpening filter basically. I could see some preferring it but I don't think it looks good. Like how some people prefer older games with a blur filter because of them pixels.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Can you take some before and after pictures? Curious to see how it looks

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I used this with Xenoblade on Wii(480p component) on a 1080p Sony TV. I didn't even realize I had it on until way later when I was going through the TV settings. I turned it off, cause you know, everyone says that stuff is horrible. When I looked at it with it off, holy crap, super blurry and horrible looking(I don't care about this stuff much usually). Turned it back on and never noticed a problem over 100 hours. Game looked really good with that on.

It did have a slider, I put it between not too sharp and not too blurry. I did make sure to turn off all the motion stuff (noticed massive delay via PC) and other stuff too.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure Super Resolution doesn't add input lag, atleast on the OLED version, but shouldn't be different with the SM9000. Now, artifacts I dunno.

Gianko

Nov 1, 2017
ROME, ITALY
i agree. i have an oled tv from Sony and i've never used resolution an reality creation...but with Witcher 3 on Switch it makes a huge difference! now i have resolution and reality creation on max!

May 18, 2018
Bravias should have an option called Reality Creation that sharpens scenes based on an algorithm by Sony. I don't use it though so can't tell how effective it is.

One setting I really like is Smooth Gradations. It seems to be a feature exclusive to Sony TVs and it really helps clean up banding if you ever notice such artifacts in games

Thanks. I'll have a look at my settings later tonight!