Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Just saw this in the discord, and y'all finally broken him. I understand that some people have been hard on him for awhile because they are exhausted to hear Daisy almost daily but it's not a good way to go with it. I genuinely felt bad for him and I hope that he would be okay.

WYGPYXo.png

I knew he was obsessive to a fault, but I didn't know it was that bad. Hope he gets some help.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania would be great to include. Classic franchise, strong Nintendo history. Also just super cool and some really great games in there (and my experience is limited to mostly just SotN onwards with some Rondo experience.).

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm genuinely sorry for memoryman3, I really thought he was Just a troll in the end.
He surely needs help though if that wasn't a shtick, like serious help.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Just saw this in the discord, and y'all finally broken him. I understand that some people have been hard on him for awhile because they are exhausted to hear Daisy almost daily but it's not a good way to go with it. I genuinely felt bad for him and I hope that he would be okay.

WYGPYXo.png

This is absolutely fascinating. I had no idea!

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of reason to ask just about any of those questions....

The first one, I could see a child asking.

Then I can't really see until "anime" (people confused about Japanese animation in particular being called anime) and "public domain" (people wondering about if they could use him).

The rest...

A bald evil illuminati, who is actually a black book and dead? Weird stuff.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
so the dude sent someone a virus? how are we overlooking that.

also IKE for smash

I mean that's basically just funny since he's just a kid apparently, but the fact he had multiple accounts forum Youtube and other boards in which he acted the same as here is kind of creepy. This kind of obsession if unchecked can potentially transform into anything. Glad he's recognizing It but my guess is he'll be back soon enough.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I had briefly forgotten, but SNK used to make consoles. I don't know how that slipped my mind, since I bought some neo geo games for my switch not too long ago...

But anyways, I wouldn't mind a Metal Slug character, although Terry might be the more likely choice.

Feb 24, 2018
I'd like a Karaoke mode or some sort of dance mode designed to be over the tap and silly as possible but also help teach people better the controls, using them to represent each characters dance move, with more complex and advanced move rewarding the player move point to get 3 stars, thus making people more aware and more likely to use them in combat (:

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Quite a few of those characters had no business being there like Big Daddy, Donte and cyborg Raiden but were there to advertise upcoming games at the time.

Big Daddy clearly had no place in the game (though I love Bioshock, so I didn't mind it at all) but despite their appearances clearly advertising the new games, both Dante and Raiden were fine choices. DMC (the original trilogy) debuted on the Playstation and IIRC, there was an OG Dante skin (though it looked weird as fuck on Donte.) Raiden is clearly not Snake but they were never gonna get him after Brawl and Raiden is 'the next best thing.' Plus tbh, his cyborg variation made for a fun as fuck moveset, more so than his MGS2 version would ever had made (and again, he had an MGS2 inspired skin that looked quite good.)

PSAS had a lot of problems but I never quite agreed that the roster was pure garbage. No Spyro, Crash and Lara really sucked but I still really enjoyed what we ended up with.

woah! That pic is so... uncanny...
The different art types, all that emptyness in the totally unappealing background, the differents lights on characters....

That's what happens when you plaster a bunch of character renders on top of a shit background. The non-unified art style was a real shame though.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just being facetious. I am actually a bit averse to having third party characters in the game. But that ship has long since sailed since Brawl.

While third parties heavily dampen the chances of more obscure characters in Smash, which are by far my favourite aspect of the franchise, I also think that in terms of general appeal, the third parties have been nothing but a boon to the series. All of the third parties (sans Bayo) are true gaming icons. I'm very content with the selections made by Sakurai.
And while I do think we'll get about as many if not more new third parties in Smash Switch than we got in Smash 4, I believe that all of those additions will be meaningful and very well implemented.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
This is a bigger stretch than Persona 5 characters have been on Switch because of PSO2.
I don't even get why anyone would need to stretch that far for P5 characters appearing on a Nintendo console. Literally the only thing known about Persona Q2 is that it will have the P5 cast. While the game has no release date in sight, it could definitely come into play during this Smash's DLC phase if we don't get another Atlus character in the base game.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even get why anyone would need to stretch that far for P5 characters appearing on a Nintendo console. Literally the only thing known about Persona Q2 is that it will have the P5 cast. While the game has no release date in sight, it could definitely come into play during this Smash's DLC phase if we don't get another Atlus character in the base game.

Well no, you see until PQ2 officially releases the Persona 5 cast is shit out of luck. No appearance on a Nintendo console = 0% chance of making it in Smash.

Therefore P5, characters like Nanako and Theo has a higher chance of being playable in Smash than Joker because they have appeared on a Nintendo console before.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I had briefly forgotten, but SNK used to make consoles. I don't know how that slipped my mind, since I bought some neo geo games for my switch not too long ago...

But anyways, I wouldn't mind a Metal Slug character, although Terry might be the more likely choice.

I'd be totally in for Marco or Terry! Nakoruru or Athena could be good choices, too.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Over/Under on an Overwatch character making the cut? Most likely Tracer, obviously.

Better than most 3rd parties, but Overwatch is owned by Activision, so Tracer would be facing Spyro (AKA the mascot of Skylanders, the game with Amiibo crossover) & Crash Bandicoot as competition. She might get in over Spyro, but definitely not Crash.

This is all also contingent on a Switch port of Overwatch.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai seems to view "Nintendo association" more of a "courtesy" than a hard and fast rule.

It does seem like something he considers (he did say he might of had some "misgivings" if Cloud hadn't appeared on Nintendo hardware before) but it's probably not the be all, end all requirement that some people make it out to be. He even says afterwards that we should stop worrying about console wars.

I dunno, I personally find the idea of the inclusions of characters like Snake and Cloud hinging entirely on games like Twin Snakes and Theatrhythm/Kingdom Hearts being on Nintendo consoles a bit odd considering that in the actual game, they're all represented by the titles that didn't set foot on N hardware.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If someone from Overwatch got in it would be Tracer. As someone else said I have a hard time seeing Tracer as an OW character get in over someone like Crash or Spyro to a lesser extent. Crash and Spyro were icons of a big rival platform in the 90's, then had a decade + long history of appearing on Nintendo consoles as a third party before the recent remakes. Low and behold one of those remakes is coming to switch and the other is rumored and seems like an inevitability.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
If someone from Overwatch got in it would be Tracer. As someone else said I have a hard time seeing Tracer as an OW character get in over someone like Crash or Spyro to a lesser extent. Crash and Spyro were icons of a big rival platform in the 90's, then had a decade + long history of appearing on Nintendo consoles as a third party before the recent remakes. Low and behold one of those remakes is coming to switch and the other is rumored and seems like an inevitability.

Plus, Crash is one of those rare Western properties that made it big in Japan. People were saying a lack of Japanese awareness would hold Doomguy back, but the same can't be said of Crash.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Over/Under on an Overwatch character making the cut? Most likely Tracer, obviously.
It's funny, in theory I feel like I'm OK with western third-parties being in this game, but every time someone suggests one that's not Crash, Banjo, or Rayman I have such an instant and visceral negative reaction to the idea. What is it about Steve, Tracer, or Dovakiin that makes me want to boycott the game?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for a Villain's blowout trailer:

Opens with shot of Link and Zelda, battle worn and exhausted. Loud footsteps as a crackling light draws closer. Camera turns to reveal

Ganon seeks your Demise!

Ganon, in his Link to the Past design, turns his head and nods to Bowser, who begin advancing together towards Link and Zelda. Suddenly, Mario and Donkey Kong join the fight! Mario fires off a few fireballs as Donkey Kong and Bowser begin grappling. A cannonball whizzes past. Donkey Kong turns his head and snarls.

Kaptain K Rool steals the show!

K. Rool in his pirate outfit laughs as he rests his blunderbuss on his shoulder, and then rocket boosts into the fray. All out battle ensues, when Samus arrives to aid the heroes! She fires off a volley of missiles, and the villains are at bay until...

The music changes to a familiar anxious tune. A screech is heard and a rush of air. Down on the battlefield drops a new challenger.

Ridley sizes up the competition!

Ridley shrieks at Samus, as the screen cuts to black.

Super Smash Bros.

Fall 2018

Cue the aftermath of the battle, everyone looks worse for the wear. Suddenly a new noise.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Everyone looks up in dread

Too Bad! Waluigi Time!

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm a sucker for the "historical significance" angle, so including characters from games like Minecraft, Yo-Kai Watch, and Monster Hunter doesn't excite me. I acknowledge though that their mega popularity makes them likely though.

For western characters I would be interested in Crash, Rayman, Banjo, Doomguy, and Lara and that's about it.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Crash and Spyro appearing in the base game is realistic at all. The Switch port of Crash probably wasn't known about around the time the roster was decided and Spyro likely wasn't even in development. Add to that they likely weren't very requested characters if only for the fact that they weren't seen as a possibility untill the announcement of these new collections.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we could get Geralt of Rivia? He's canon in the latest Soulcalibur, and SC2 was on the GameCube. Meaning he's got a connection to Nintendo.

Witcher 3 is announced for Switch at E3. At the end of the trailer you hear Ciri talking to Geralt: "I've stumbled into a very strange world... I need you to come and see this!"

Geralt ploughs into the game!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Crash is a big contender for DLC I think. The hype of a Crash announcement trailer at, say, next E3, a few months after release, would be comparable to Cloud and Bayonetta excitement-wise. The residual buzz of his and Spyro's trilogy will last that long, right?

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm a sucker for the "historical significance" angle, so including characters from games like Minecraft, Yo-Kai Watch, and Monster Hunter doesn't excite me. I acknowledge though that their mega popularity makes them likely though.

For western characters I would be interested in Crash, Rayman, Banjo, Doomguy, and Lara and that's about it.

Monster Hunter has been around for a while now at this point. Can't really be compared to Yokai Watch and Minecraft.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TBH all western characters except Rayman feel like longshots in the base roster. I'd expect them as DLC.

Also 3rd parties in general may be more frequent in DLC than base rosters in the series future due to the reality of licensing costs with so many characters. We may only see 1 or 2 new 3rd parties in the base roster if the 6 veterans aren't cut.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Lara Croft would be an amazing third party addition. Problem is, do we even have a Tomb Raider game on a Nintendo platform?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't think Crash and Spyro appearing in the base game is realistic at all. The Switch port of Crash probably wasn't known about around the time the roster was decided and Spyro likely wasn't even in development. Add to that they likely weren't very requested characters if only for the fact that they weren't seen as a possibility untill the announcement of these new collections.

I agree, it's why Crash isn't in my base roster prediction for newcomers. Crash seems like the perfect 3rd party dlc character.

Status
Not open for further replies.