Not open for further replies.

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
* advance wars character

good

*in the ugly ass neotank

bad
The concept behind the character was to have a bunch of different COs pop out of the top of the tank based on the b move, because I didn't think any one character was an ideal rep. The neotank made sense as a base because it has legs. Also, I think you're crazy because it's adorable.
images

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk.

Who do we honestly think will be the next newcomer shown? Like at E3.

I'm thinking it'll be an Arms Character or Xenoblade 2 character.

As much as I want Ridley in, I don't see him being announced yet, if he's in at all.

I think Ridley would be perfect announcement for E3 since mostly western fans want him in. Don't get me wrong since I'm not sure about Japanese fans' opinions about Ridley.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I just don't get this stance. By the time this game ends up releasing it's very likely that the game will have been in development for around two years, which is plenty of time for us to get a similar amount of newcomers to what we usually get (though probably on the smaller side of that, around 11-14). Unless you think they started from scratch (which wasn't the case with Brawl - Smash 4) and are re-doing a good chunk of veterans, creating over 30 new stages and are working on a big story mode, there is no reason to think that 5-6 newcomers total is unlikely.

Well, it's because I personally don't believe there's going to be any roster cuts from 'for,' DLC roster included, and that they'll likely bring back at least Ice Climbers and maybe Wolf too (Snake would be a dream). Even adding 5-6 new characters to that number is a huge undertaking for two years, especially considering at least Link, and possibly Mario and Zelda, at least, are going to be given refreshed move-sets.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Well, it's because I personally don't believe there's going to be any roster cuts from 'for,' DLC roster included, and that they'll likely bring back at least Ice Climbers and maybe Wolf too (Snake would be a dream). Even adding 5-6 new characters to that number is a huge undertaking for two years, especially considering at least Link, and possibly Mario and Zelda, at least, are going to be given refreshed move-sets.
I agree with the first sentence of your post. I think that the entire Smash 4 roster is here to stay at this point, but with Ice Climbers, Wolf and around 11 newcomers added in. Here's why I think this is definitely possible (and fairly likely):

Smash 4's project plan created in April 2012, and Smash 3DS released in October 2014 (though it was likely already done in August, as the content was finalised enough for the ESRB to rate) with 17 newcomers (15 not including the other two Mii types, if you want to be picky). This means that Smash 4 was in development for at least 2 years and 4 months, give or take some pre-planning before the project plan was complete and some time at the end of development because we don't know exactly when the game went gold.

Now for what we know about Smash Switch: in January 2016, Sakurai confirmed through a Famitsu article that he was "taking a breather" before his next project (which was already decided at that point), and he made it clear that this would not be a long break. In November of that year he confirmed he was working a game at that point, and in December talked about how he purchased a model kit to use the included rifle as reference for this game. Now we are in May 2018, over two years from when the project plan for this game was likely created and finalised. Why is it so unbelievable that we could get over 5-6 newcomers in this time, when Smash 4 managed 17 in a similar time span?

Xenoblade 2 was just released, it is why I think we're getting a rep in DLC form
Well, Xenoblade 2 did start planning in July 2014(way before X even released), which means it's pretty much a guarantee that Rex and Pyra would have been finalised as characters by the time Sakurai was putting together the project plan for this game. Though yeah, if they (somehow) don't make it into the base game they are guaranteed DLC, seeing as Sakurai adores their game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
My newcomer list:

Geno.

I hope that you would get your dream coming true even it's really extremely small chance.

I'm expecting a video with multiple newcomers like Brawl's reveal or even an actual opening video like Melee's. This game will have a fairly short reveal to release, so I'd guess we won't see many individual trailers.

I'm expecting the same thing but I hope that we would able to get couple of trailers later on. Also it would be great if we could get a trailer where we would see battles between Nintendo characters and Third Party characters.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If there's not a second Xenoblade character in the base game, I could see Rex & Pyra being DLC. But if we get Elma or something, I don't really see the timing being such that at this point they'd go back to add a XC2 character.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there's not a second Xenoblade character in the base game, I could see Rex & Pyra being DLC. But if we get Elma or something, I don't really see the timing being such that at this point they'd go back to add a XC2 character.

Not really sure what your getting at here.

Lucina and Robin didn't stop Roy and Corrin from getting in.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally at E3 we would get a trailer similar to Brawl's reveal, with 5 or so reveals including Inkling gameplay. Then they can move directly into live gameplay on Treehouse Live.

As for who the characters could be, my guess is that they will use some popular relevant characters, some obscure/WTF choice, and end it on a 3rd party shocker.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Not really sure what your getting at here.

Lucina and Robin didn't stop Roy and Corrin from getting in.
Corrin's game released while they were working on Smash 4's DLC, whereas Rex and Pyra's game will be more than a year old by the time any hypothetical Smash Switch DLC begins
Ideally at E3 we would get a trailer similar to Brawl's reveal, with 5 or so reveals including Inkling gameplay. Then they can move directly into live gameplay on Treehouse Live.
I'm assuming they'll save live gameplay for the invitational, since it's happening later that day

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Oh snap it's RogersBase

My dream for E3 would be them talking bout a game, then dropping a trailer where the character from that game goes to Smash (hopefully Captain Toad or Dixie)

Then they talk bout smash for a bit, and later throw another trailer. They talk some more, and end the conference with 1-2 "WAIT WHAT" choices

Then Treehouse

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Corrin's game released while they were working on Smash 4's DLC, whereas Rex and Pyra's game will be more than a year old by the time any hypothetical Smash Switch DLC begins

I mean shouldn't that mean it's more likely that they could be DLC then?

I doubt they care if a game that sold well is a year old.

Plus they were talking about how adding someone like Elma made it less likely which I still don't understand.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
I agree with the first sentence of your post. I think that the entire Smash 4 roster is here to stay at this point, but with Ice Climbers, Wolf and around 11 newcomers added in. Here's why I think this is definitely possible (and fairly likely):

Smash 4's project plan created in April 2012, and Smash 3DS released in October 2014 (though it was likely already done in August, as the content was finalised enough for the ESRB to rate) with 17 newcomers (15 not including the other two Mii types, if you want to be picky). This means that Smash 4 was in development for at least 2 years and 4 months, give or take some pre-planning before the project plan was complete and some time at the end of development because we don't know exactly when the game went gold.

Now for what we know about Smash Switch: in January 2016, Sakurai confirmed through a Famitsu article that he was "taking a breather" before his next project (which was already decided at that point), and he made it clear that this would not be a long break. In November of that year he confirmed he was working a game at that point, and in December talked about how he purchased a model kit to use the included rifle as reference for this game. Now we are in May 2018, over two years from when the project plan for this game was likely created and finalised. Why is it so unbelievable that we could get over 5-6 newcomers in this time, when Smash 4 managed 17 in a similar time span?

This poster speaks the truth. Many people tend to forget that Sakurai also worked on Kid Icarus between Brawl and Smash 4, and conflate that with a super long dev time. In addition, Sakurai was working on two versions at the same time for Smash 4. No reason he wouldn't be able to get a new game out in time for switch, especially considering the power difference with the Wii U is not large

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017

Plus they were talking about how adding someone like Elma made it less likely which I still don't understand.
it's kinda hard to say what's "more likely" in the case of first party DLC newcomers, since we've only ever gotten one of those

the timing issue's obviously different than it is for characters in the main roster, but you can't really figure out a pattern when it's Just One Guy

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Seems pretty unlikely a series as small as Xenoblade will get multiple unique newcomers, especially when there's no game currently in its promotional window.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I don't care who else gets in as long as Isaac and Ice Climbers get in. I'll even be okay with Daisy and Ridley getting in.

Tharja

Jan 1, 2018
With Smash 4 having quite a few "holy shit how is this character in smash" type characters I can't really think of many others that could be added into Smash 5. Like of course people will get excited if a character like Ridley gets in. But i feel Ridley is inevitable at some point. I'm thinking more along the lines of third parties we'd never expect to see in Smash. Like Sonic, Snake, Ryu, and Cloud. Also side note. Does anyone else unironically want or think Goku could work? I think going forward Smash could really transition to a video game brawler to something that pulls characters from other mediums as well.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Two of the most controversial characters for different reasons. Daisy because #TeamDaisy see her full potential and think she would fit right into Smash, while others think that she is nothing but an annoying filler (which is not true but I see why you might think that).

Ridley because everyone wants to see him but his design is unsuitable for the game.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Let's have Daisy riding Ridley as the final boss of Story Mode. And then you unlock them as playable characters. In consequent playthroughs they're replaced by the classic Master Hand

No trailers or nuthin'

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Two of the most controversial characters for different reasons. Daisy because #TeamDaisy see her full potential and think she would fit right into Smash, while others think that she is nothing but an annoying filler (which is not true but I see why you might think that).

Ridley because everyone wants to see him but his design is unsuitable for the game.

Birdo (NB - I'm not sure what her canon non-deadname is. Birdette seems to have not much evidence supporting it?) has a 100% rate of support because I'm the only one that thinks she could be in Smash and I'm the only one that wants her in. 1/1 is 100%

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they'd just stuck with "Catherine" because "Birdo" is a terrible name that makes absolutely no sense

SHE'S NOT EVEN REMOTELY BIRDLIKE

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they just went full blowout at E3 and we basically see the entire starting roster including almost all the newcomers.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
According to this list we only have a few Nintendo All Stars left to add.

Daisy.

Toad

Isabelle

Toom Nook

K.K

Resetti.

Callie

Marie.

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that Wonder-Red is a better character than 90% of what is thrown around in this thread.
b214a43eeea62a5785fbe6b36cb9636e-d96f9vj.png

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
According to my own list, there's still all sorts of classic Nintendo characters left to add.

Captain Rainbow
Cubivore
Doshin
Pious Augustus
Andrew Oikonny
The 3DS eShop Bag
John Raimi
Pockle
Waluigi

As this is the definitive list, please look forward to these characters being added to Smash!

Seriously though, some more stuff from Skip's games would be great, even if it's just music. I loved how they had Little Mac's theme from Captain Rainbow in Smash 4. It better return in the Switch game!

Status
Not open for further replies.