Votes: 18 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, stop it. Bad SmashEra. No fighter pass 3 speculation.

69e.png

200.gif

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Ah, we have just enough time to convince ourselves that it's happening that we can feel let down when it doesn't

Tomorrow's gonna be fun

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we've gone through something like this in the past but I can't remember when or what

maybe it's just a buttload of Xenocostumes

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Ah, we have just enough time to convince ourselves that it's happening that we can feel let down when it doesn't

Tomorrow's gonna be fun
It's happening, but they won't be announcing it until E3-times, so we'll have enough time to convince ourselves it's happening, be let down when it doesn't, convince ourselves it's not happening, and then be blindsided when it does.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The missing post number 1 is an ad for a new accessory for Switch, a multitap, and stage compatibility list for 16-player Smash.

The missing post number 2 is Sakurai making a light bulb joke for no apparent reason.

The peculiarities of the update also allow for missing post number 3. It remains missing until 31.12.2030, when it randomly shows up with an Aonuma joke. It's not translated from Japanese, but people eventually figure out it's the one with Soviet leaders, train, and running out of rails.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
To be serious for a second though, I assume they're going to give the Switch Pro a generous window to sell, so I wouldn't expect a Switch successor until like 2024/25 or so. And I don't expect a new Smash game until the next console is out. So I think more DLC is reasonably possible.

That said, I would not expect them to announce it tomorrow.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
well, I guess we'll find out whatever this dealie is in Mar 4, 2021 at 9:00 AM

I should probably go to bed

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch Pro and Splatoon 3 def implies the Switch is gonna stick around for a while and even with the Pandemic subsiding through the year I imagine Nintendo and Sakurai will realize the value in a team that's done good work during the pandemic rather than needing make a new team for a game while things are still a little uncertain. FP3 really isn't that unlikely taking all of these into consideration

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
To be serious for a second though, I assume they're going to give the Switch Pro a generous window to sell, so I wouldn't expect a Switch successor until like 2024/25 or so. And I don't expect a new Smash game until the next console is out. So I think more DLC is reasonably possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai either takes a long break or works on another non-Smash game after FP2 is done.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019

If another pass were being announced anytime near now, it would probably have been included in the Direct last month, honestly. This stuff is probably something completely unrelated unless they plan on sitting on it for three months.

Still wouldn't be surprised to hear something on the subject in the next Direct, though.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
To think that right now in his workshop at the North Pole, Sakurai Claus is loading up his sleigh with Pyras and Mythras to deliver to all us good boys and girls <3

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
In all seriousness, I do believe that we will get more Smash content before the Switch's life cycle is done. Whatever form that takes.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can we somehow get a fighter that's both Cereal Box Mascot and Anine Swordsman?

Does such a thing exsist?

Jun 11, 2019
Somehow I've played Persona 5 Royal for 45 hours over the course of the past 5 days and I just got to Shido's castle. I'm definitely glad I waited until now to play this because I'd definitely still be burnt out on 5 but all of the gameplay changes and actually knowing what to fuse/what to prepare for has been a blast. I'm probably gonna end up finishing it this weekend lol

Fuck Shadow Okumura though
Glad you're enjoying it, you've been doing the new confidants right?

Jun 11, 2019
Can we somehow get a fighter that's both Cereal Box Mascot and Anine Swordsman?

Does such a thing exsist?
what they don't want you to know is that such a character already exists in Smash

Guh huh
Yeah, I've been following a guide pretty carefully just because I don't wanna mess up and I've seen most of this content before. I've done all of the new confidants all the way already, or at least as much as I can.
Ah cool, you're in for a treat with that 3rd semester

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Banjo & Kazooie would be top-tier cereal mascots. Imagine jiggy-shaped, honey-flavored cereal that tastes like Golden Grahams but with blue egg-shaped marshmallows. The back of the box could be written in Grunty's rhyme scheme and feature a maze through her lair.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This DLC is just the fun part of game development for Sakurai. He doesn't have to build a new engine or whatever, so he can focus on the creative design of things. He gets to work with IPs that he himself admires. And he gets tons of attention and makes loads of people happy.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
What could have caused that sudden jump in pages... *frantically searches and finds Mondo's post about the sudden jump in news posts* Ohhhh... Interesting. =D.

Well, American comic books are synonymous with superheroes because in the 50s an extremely stable person instilled so much gay panic in the minds of America's lawmakers that comics were only allowed to be one thing for like 20 years and by the time they started pulling away from that the genre and company dominance of two particular comic publishers meant it'd be hard to get out from under that.

Only took the near death and rebirth of the entire industry to fix that.

To be fair, it was not only gay panic, but also moral panic regarding the levels of violence on crime books and horror books (but the gay panic definitely was a big factor as well). Commercial interests also played a part if I'm not mistaken (I think the company that eventually became DC and a few other editorials like Archie pushed the "Comic Book Code Authority" not only as an attempt to prevent direct regulation from the goverment, but also to run EC comics and their succesful horror and crime books out of the market).

In the case of anime, if I understand it right (and it's entirely possible I'm geting it wrong), the fragile state of the Japanese economy in the past few decades pushed most studios to hyper focus on a very narrow and specific audience that however was extremely lucrative, due not only to the sales of DVD's but also of merchandise. And that audience happened to be the Otaku crowd, hence the large amount of shows in the past decade and a half filled to the brim with "fanservice" specifically aimed at them.

Unfortunately, given the current state of the economy, I fear that if the anime industry was nearly about to die, it would actually die for good rather than rebirth =/.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
For reference, the posts that each update would need to cover, at a maximum, are:
  • Planned software update: Ver. X.0.0 (we got this one yesterday, so I have to assume it's 118)
  • Software update available: Ver. X.0.0
  • [character name] Challenger Pack now available for purchase!
  • Fighters Pass Vol. 2 available for purchase! (Content update X)
  • Mii Costume #1 now available for purchase!
  • Mii Costume #2 now available for purchase!
  • Mii Costume #3 available for purchase!
  • Mii Costume #4 available for purchase!
  • Mii Costume #5 available for purchase!
  • Mii Costume #6 available for purchase!
  • Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members (we just got this one, and it's 130)
Assuming that the wave even has 6 costumes to begin with, that leaves two more gaps.

Would it make sense if they include Mythra too right?

I meant two slots of Mythra and Pyra, just throwing it out there?

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I suppose it's time to attempt to sleep, now. I look forward to waking up and finding out what actually-really-mundane reason those extra spots exist!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So just out of curiosity, did Byleth also have extra spots?
We didn't get any hint at a post count for Byleth until after their presentation (and the Exclusive Offer post came before the others so it couldn't have given anything away), but the news posts related to their update played out like this:

2067 - Planned software update: Ver. 7.0.0 *
2068 - 6th Smash Art Dojo contest results!
2069 - Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members
2070 - Software update available: Ver. 7.0.0
2071 - Fighters Pass available for purchase! (Content update ⑤)
2072 - Byleth Challenger Pack now available for purchase!
2073 - Cuphead Hat + Outfit now available for purchase!
2074 - Altaïr Hood + Outfit now available for purchase!
2075 - Rabbids Hat now available for purchase!
2076 - X's Helmet + Armor now available for purchase!
2077 - MegaMan.EXE's Helmet + Armor now available for purchase!
2078 - Fighters Pass Vol. 2 now available for purchase!

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
We didn't get any hint at a post count for Byleth until after their presentation (and the Exclusive Offer post came before the others so it couldn't have given anything away), but the news posts related to their update played out like this:

2067 - Planned software update: Ver. 7.0.0 *
2068 - 6th Smash Art Dojo contest results!
2069 - Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members
2070 - Software update available: Ver. 7.0.0
2071 - Fighters Pass available for purchase! (Content update ⑤)
2072 - Byleth Challenger Pack now available for purchase!
2073 - Cuphead Hat + Outfit now available for purchase!
2074 - Altaïr Hood + Outfit now available for purchase!
2075 - Rabbids Hat now available for purchase!
2076 - X's Helmet + Armor now available for purchase!
2077 - MegaMan.EXE's Helmet + Armor now available for purchase!
ErPvmQ6.png

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
And of course as I say I'm going to bed, my Internet implodes and dies, so I guess I'll just be hoping that's back by this morning and I don't have to watch the presentation on my phone.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What could have caused that sudden jump in pages... *frantically searches and finds Mondo's post about the sudden jump in news posts* Ohhhh... Interesting. =D.

To be fair, it was not only gay panic, but also moral panic regarding the levels of violence on crime books and horror books (but the gay panic definitely was a big factor as well). Commercial interests also played a part if I'm not mistaken (I think the company that eventually became DC and a few other editorials like Archie pushed the "Comic Book Code Authority" not only as an attempt to prevent direct regulation from the goverment, but also to run EC comics and their succesful horror and crime books out of the market).

In the case of anime, if I understand it right (and it's entirely possible I'm geting it wrong), the fragile state of the Japanese economy in the past few decades pushed most studios to hyper focus on a very narrow and specific audience that however was extremely lucrative, due not only to the sales of DVD's but also of merchandise. And that audience happened to be the Otaku crowd, hence the large amount of shows in the past decade and a half filled to the brim with "fanservice" specifically aimed at them.

Unfortunately, given the current state of the economy, I fear that if the anime industry was nearly about to die, it would actually die for good rather than rebirth =/.
Anime's decline is further exaggerated because not only did the economy get tougher, it got tougher as a result of a speculation bubble bursting. So anime went from having basically unlimited budgets and freedom to suddenly being really restrictive.

It's particularly apparently in OVAs, which didn't have the schedule restrictions of TV anime, so they could just look beautiful and intricate throughout and having whatever content you want since you don't have to deal with a network.

Status
Not open for further replies.