What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So people are back to making up a bunch of arbitrary rules on why Steve wouldn't work in Smash instead of just saying "I don't want him?"

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I'd be mildly annoyed if Steve got into Smash over Banjo & Kazooie, but I'd probably still be interested in playing him.

I still think the Monster Hunter would have been great for Smash though. Q_Q

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like you're talking about one of my posts here, despite the fact that I didn't mention any rules at all? Be more specific please.
It's not as prevalent now(though it still crops up) but anytime Steve is brought up you have a bunch of people making excuses for why it would't work so obviously Sakurai wouldn't use him.

"They have no personality, the graphics wouldn't translate, no one cares about the actual character, etc, etc" Stuff like that about how the character couldn't possibly work as playable despite the fact that it should be clear by now that Sakurai could probably make Magikarp work, and the amount of merch this series has should dispel the notion that no one cares about the mascots themselves.

I don't want Steve but this happen'd a lot and I always found it annoying. Just say "I don't want him."

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Considering anime..i wonder if it's technically to put Saber in the Fate Novel series in Smash since she technically becomes from a Visual Novel Series. Not saying it makes a whole lot of sense but Fate is extremely popular in Japan so "shrugs"

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It's not as prevalent now(though it still crops up) but anytime Steve is brought up you have a bunch of people making excuses for why it would't work so obviously Sakurai wouldn't use him.

"They have no personality, the graphics wouldn't translate, no one cares about the actual character, etc, etc" Stuff like that about how the character couldn't possibly work as playable despite the fact that it should be clear by now that Sakurai could probably make Magikarp work, and the amount of merch this series has should dispel the notion that no one cares about the mascots themselves.

I don't want Steve but this happen'd a lot and I always found it annoying. Just say "I don't want him."
I can't really see any of that on this page though (well, I did mention the personality thing technically by bringing up Sakurai's dancing comment, but I don't think it would stop Steve from happening entirely) so I can't see how the "back to making up a bunch of arbitrary rules" comment is relevant now.

I do agree though, some people do just make poor excuses (but i'd like to believe that my arguments aren't half-bad).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't really see any of that on this page though (well, I did mention the personality thing technically by bringing up Sakurai's dancing comment, but I don't think it would stop Steve from happening entirely) so I can't see how the "back to making up a bunch of arbitrary rules" comment is relevant now (though I agree, some people do just make poor excuses, but i'd like to believe that my arguments aren't half-bad).
I don't know I'm just not a fan of any argument that involves "Sakurai wouldn't/couldn't" do something. Sorry if that wasn't what you were getting it.

Sorry if I was rude.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
the biggest problem with "Steve?" is that he'd block Steve Ballmer, a fairly more interesting microsoft character

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Enough about Steve, let's talk about a more realistic Smash pick

Steve Rogers, who is staring in an upcoming Nintendo-published exclusive. The choice is obvious, really.

Representation from a ero series might be pushing it a bit far.
Well you see, Akira (a top tier AT, for the record) appeared as a guest character in Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax, a light novel crossover fighting game

Oreimo received a playable rep in said fighting game

so the connections are there.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Enough about Steve, let's talk about a more realistic Smash pick

Steve Rogers, who is staring in an upcoming Nintendo-published exclusive. The choice is obvious, really.

Reveal trailer of Cap taking the elevator down from Nintendo's HQ after signing off on some ultimate alliance business, gradually the lift fills with Smash characters
"....before we get smashing, does anyone want to get out?"

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Reveal trailer of Cap taking the elevator down from Nintendo's HQ after signing off on some ultimate alliance business, gradually the lift fills with Smash characters
Best reveal trailer in Smash history; 10/10.

How is someone who won't be in the tallest?
Play along with it, Brock found his new gimmick in this Shadow-less world.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Lmao this is awesome

End the trailer after the gameplay reveal with a short CG scene "Smash Brothers ! Assemble..."

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I had the weirdest dream. Some guy on 4chan leaked the entire DLC roster (renders & all) to get back at Sakurai for some internal reason.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it had to be something more serious. Maybe Sakurai kept turning on the light while entering the guy's room and never turned it off while leaving.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I still think the MH team's "No playable Hunter" mindset from the MvC3 era was in play when Sakurai locked in the base roster.
Yea, but thay kind also locks them out of dlc at this point too I think. Rathalos getting in as a boss already kins of takes that air out for the series in smash, at least for this game.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
What's going on with Rathalos and the Monster Hunter series hasn't happened with any other series, so I don't think any real conclusions can be drawn from it. And heck, trying to ascribe patterns to these things doesn't normally work anyways.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
maybe sakurai just didn't want a playable monster hunter and thought rathatlos would be a cool boss to have regardless

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
What's going on with Rathalos and the Monster Hunter series hasn't happened with any other series, so I don't think any real conclusions can be drawn from it. And heck, trying to ascribe patterns to these things doesn't normally work anyways.
There's no patterns, but putting rathalos in first and making a big deal just makes me think a playable character isn't in mind. If a cap rep gets in now, it's either dante or RE.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I had a dream that a new Easter Egg had been discovered in the arcade version of Donkey Kong that showed a screen with the words 'Miyamoto loves the monkeys", but it was cursed and caused the Earth to be attacked by large primates.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
ACE remix of rip and tear

tenor.gif

Yes. Please.

Is this a legitimate leak guys?

Yes, as Tommy Wiseau himself is a leak of some incomprehensible concept into our inferior realm.

the biggest problem with "Steve?" is that he'd block Steve Ballmer, a fairly more interesting microsoft character

Clearly, we've been in a rut. I don't think anybody here's been on their feet enough to think about this incredible character pick.

We need to get on our feet.

I had the weirdest dream. Some guy on 4chan leaked the entire DLC roster (renders & all) to get back at Sakurai for some internal reason.

Weird. I had a dream last night where I went back & realized Bender from Futurama was in the base roster, & somehow I was the only person who realized this. Which is odd; I haven't watched that show in years. Well, 2 years; I haven't watched it since bored-binging the Comedy Central seasons I skipped while trying to hatch a Shiny Mimkyu. But it's plural.

Who was in the fake roster from your dream? Maybe it's a sign.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dream last night was that Saki Amamiya got announced and now I feel quaint in comparison.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Weird. I had a dream last night where I went back & realized Bender from Futurama was in the base roster, & somehow I was the only person who realized this. Which is odd; I haven't watched that show in years. Well, 2 years; I haven't watched it since bored-binging the Comedy Central seasons I skipped while trying to hatch a Shiny Mimkyu. But it's plural.

Who was in the fake roster from your dream? Maybe it's a sign.
  • Erdrick
    • He did have a female variant & a color palette for his chibi incarnation
    • Sugiyama sadly got the profits from the Fighters Pass since Nintendo made an agreement for his music
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Jin Kazama
    • Tekken 6 default, Tekken 7 is his alt
  • Dante (DMC5)
    • He was the most detailed of the lot
      • Jabs for basic melee combos
      • Tilts for guns
      • Smash attacks for specific melee moves
      • B for style moves
      • Taunts for style switching
      • A+B to activate DT (overrides Smash Attack shortcut)
      • Shield + A to switch melee weapons
      • Shield + B to switch guns
      • All DMC5 weapons were available (though only one main sword, DSD)
      • Sin DT is his Final Smash

Last edited:

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
There's no patterns, but putting rathalos in first and making a big deal just makes me think a playable character isn't in mind. If a cap rep gets in now, it's either dante or RE.

But its equally as valid to interpret things the opposite with Monster Hunter being the next Capcom series in line because it has the most representation so far, and Sakurai just stopped it from getting its own character because he didn't want three Capcom series with fighters in the base roster. There's really no saying what Rathalos actually means for Monster Hunter's pottential for a playable character.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how some of you guys have control of your dreams. The last time I had a dream about the Smash roster, it had Steve from Minecraft and Crash Bandicoot, lol.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
What if they reveal all 4 characters at e3 (even if three of them are just artwork) so the dataminers dont reveal them first

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Honestly, how many western reps are you peps even expecting? I see so many being thrown out, but if we really get one (given the current circumstances), who would it even be? Banjo seems to be the biggest one but i do have my hesitations (no one knows about him other than older hardcore fans)

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't know how some of you guys have control of your dreams. The last time I had a dream about the Smash roster, it had Steve from Minecraft and Crash Bandicoot, lol.
If I had full control, it'd be Jill instead of Dante.

What if they reveal all 4 characters at e3 (even if three of them are just artwork) so the dataminers dont reveal them first
I doubt it, Nintendo values the hype of Smash reveals too much.

Honestly, how many western reps are you peps even expecting? I see so many being thrown out, but if we really get one (given the current circumstances), who would it even be? Banjo seems to be the biggest one but i do have my hesitations (no one knows about him other than older hardcore fans)
Just one, to be honest.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I used to expect two, but with the "Smash as promotion of now shrinking Japanese game economy" interview, I switched to zero. If it's not that systematic it will be a welcome surprise.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect maybe 1 a it would be a Microsoft character.

No one else.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yea, but thay kind also locks them out of dlc at this point too I think. Rathalos getting in as a boss already kins of takes that air out for the series in smash, at least for this game.

On the other hand, if Sakurai already had some choices in mind for the DLC during the game's development and Monster Hunter is one of them, then he might have included Rathalos in the base game because he knew DLC wouldn't be getting bosses of their own. No monster battle would be a huge missing part for a Monster Hunter character.

Status
Not open for further replies.