What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemons are theoretically the most unpredictable fighter choice and could bring some really unusual stuff, but in practice N64 was last time Smash got original non-humanoid ones (since Pichu was a clone).

Grookey3 with a bending stick used as a bending stick would be acceptable. What I keep fearing is Grookey3 with stick interpreted as a sword (though I would chuckle once if a shield was also included).

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping we get some new series newcomer in the dlc, third party or first party, just to see how the goal post would get moved for every character moving forward

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
but in practice N64 was last time Smash got original non-humanoid ones (since Pichu was a clone).

250px-Squirtle_SSBU.png
250px-Ivysaur_SSBU.png

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Can we just not get another starter?

We've gotten starters for the last 3 games. If we have to get a Pokemon as DLC, give us another legendary or a super popular non-starter like Lucario. Just anything to shake it up.
If there was a Gen 8 Pokemon in the Fighters Pass, they wouldn't even have time to gauge which Pokemon are "popular", because the character would be nearing completion/done by the time the game releases. That's why a starter is the safest choice in these situations, as seen with Greninja and Incineroar.

I may be selfish in saying this, but it's only fair that grass gets a turn after being shafted again in Ultimate.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there's such a thing as too new. Astral Chain would fit that since it's new to the point of being unproven. Likewise, good luck trying to sell the average joe on the Chorus Kids or Wonder Red.

I don't understand how Rhythm Heaven is a hard sell, but dead franchises that keep being brought up like Banjo or Ninja Gaiden aren't.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
If there was a Gen 8 Pokemon in the Fighters Pass, they wouldn't even have time to gauge which Pokemon are "popular", because the character would be nearing completion/done by the time the game releases. That's why a starter is the safest choice in these situations, as seen with Greninja and Incineroar.

I may be selfish in saying this, but it's only fair that grass gets a turn after being shafted again in Ultimate.
Sceptile should've gotten in.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't understand how Rhythm Heaven is a hard sell, but dead franchises that keep being brought up like Banjo or Ninja Gaiden aren't.

There is an active demand for Banjo-Kazooie among the Smash fanbase, is the difference. He's probably the most requested character at this point.

I would wager the character Ryu Hayabusa is far more recognizable than any one Rhythm Heaven character as well.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought there was some kind of music licensing issue going on with Rhythm Heaven.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I thought there was some kind of music licensing issue going on with Rhythm Heaven.
There possibly is. Tsunku is the main creative force behind Rhythm Heaven, but none of his stuff appears in Smash Bros. We just have a couple of the tracks composed by Nintendo.

Chorus Kids have been my most wanted character ever since the Gematsu leak, but objectively they're just a small part of a series that is super niche outside of Japan. They're not an easy sell for DLC.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
They're gonna announce the Panel De Pon reboot at E3 and Lip will be our first party character. ;_;

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, whatever happened to the User who knew about Piranha Plant before the direct? can't remember the name exactly since i'm a bad english speller, but they were always in the discussion with us

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
They're gonna announce the Panel De Pon reboot at E3 and Lip will be our first party character. ;_;
Just you wait until Panel de Pon 99.

Hey, whatever happened to the User who knew about Piranha Plant before the direct? can't remember the name exactly since i'm a bad english speller, but they were always in the discussion with us
Wasn't that Masozi? It seems like they aren't on Era anymore. Wonder what happened.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Wouldn't that be too risky? Smash could raise awareness for the IP, sure. But someone like, say, an Astral Chain rep, would essentially be an advertisement within Smash. And unlike Fire Emblem or Pokémon, said new game still runs a decent risk of bombing like The Wonderful 101 or Sushi Striker did. While this mindset did ultimately screw over a franchise I wanted to see get a playable rep in Smash Ultimate (ARMS), I can understand why Sakurai follows this logic.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There possibly is. Tsunku is the main creative force behind Rhythm Heaven, but none of his stuff appears in Smash Bros. We just have a couple of the tracks composed by Nintendo.

Chorus Kids have been my most wanted character ever since the Gematsu leak, but objectively they're just a small part of a series that is super niche outside of Japan. They're not an easy sell for DLC.

Yeah I think the same when it comes to characters other than Byleth or a new Pokemon. Smash For's DLC was largely directed at hardcore fans, with returning veterans, ultra popular requests like Cloud, and a promo for the next Fire Emblem (a series that is also directed at a hardcore fanbase). Other than Isabelle, Plant (a joke) and Incineroar (the requisite new Pokemon) the newcomers for Ultimate were all directed at enthusiast fanbases; Ridley is so legendary a fan request that his own trailer got in on the memeing, and K.Rool and the Belmonts got in because of the ballot. Now we've got Joker, the lead of the hot new RPG to come out of Japan and sell over 2mil.

I think there's enough precedence at this point to guess that the Fighter's Pass will continue the trend of being aimed at hardcore gaming enthusiasts, the kind of people who will throw their money at the screen for their favourite characters to get into the game.

I miss the optimism of Geno fans.

Everything changed when the Erdrick nation attacked

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah I think the same when it comes to characters other than Byleth or a new Pokemon. Smash For's DLC was largely directed at hardcore fans, with returning veterans, ultra popular requests like Cloud, and a promo for the next Fire Emblem (a series that is also directed at a hardcore fanbase). Other than Isabelle, Plant (a joke) and Incineroar (the requisite new Pokemon) the newcomers for Ultimate were all directed at enthusiast fanbases; Ridley is so legendary a fan request that his own trailer got in on the memeing, and K.Rool and the Belmonts got in because of the ballot. Now we've got Joker, the lead of the hot new RPG to come out of Japan and sell over 2mil.

I think there's enough precedence at this point to guess that the Fighter's Pass will continue the trend of being aimed at hardcore gaming enthusiasts, the kind of people who will throw their money at the screen for their favourite characters to get into the game.

Everything changed when the Erdrick nation attacked
You forgot the Inklings. They would've gotten in no matter what.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Found the post; it was Masozi. It seems like they closed their account. They opened up about some tough shit they were going through in those discussion threads, so I guess they decided to close the account to focus on better things, which is totally respectable. I just hope that they are okay.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Found the post; it was Masozi. It seems like they closed their account. They opened up about some tough shit they were going through in those discussion threads, so I guess they decided to close the account to focus on better things, which is totally respectable. I just hope that they are okay.
Oh.

Yeah, they did bring up some personal stuff. Feel like a jerk for forgetting. Hope they're doing well

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Hold on, let me make a chart in Excel saying the E3 expo is just a 40 minute Banjo trailer

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
100% of the E3 Nintendo game charts made over the years have been fake. There's no reason for something like that to even exist.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't that be too risky? Smash could raise awareness for the IP, sure. But someone like, say, an Astral Chain rep, would essentially be an advertisement within Smash. And unlike Fire Emblem or Pokémon, said new game still runs a decent risk of bombing like The Wonderful 101 or Sushi Striker did. While this mindset did ultimately screw over a franchise I wanted to see get a playable rep in Smash Ultimate (ARMS), I can understand why Sakurai follows this logic.
You are a multibillion dollar company with the most popular game around that everyone wants to be in and you are going through with:
1. selling a fighters pass without revealing any character before the game is even out
2. not showing this would be risk character first
3. even if the game has a bad rep people will still be able to like the character (see also: everyone loves roy, ice climbers)
4. the game is not made by idiots, I think they can gauge if a game might have some success to it

you can afford to take a risk

Also!

Sakurai did not passon Arms because it was unproven! He just didn't know about it at the time, the feeling I got is Springman (& Rex) would've gotten in otherwise.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Something that came to my mind is that Smash 4 and Ultimate are on essentially the same DLC schedule separated by four years, running from early December through a full year to the next February. For both games, E3 is almost the exact midpoint of their respective DLC schedule.

Assuming Ultimate gets Challenger Pack #2 released before or during E3, it will have almost the same dollar value of fighter DLC available at the midpoint of its DLC schedule as Smash 4 - Smash 4 had $18 of fighter DLC available in June 2015 ($4 each for returning veterans Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, plus $6 for Ryu, who included a stage and music), while Ultimate would have $17 of fighter DLC available in June 2019 ($5 for Piranha Plant, $6 each for Challenger Packs 1 and 2). For both games, this would constitute almost exactly half of the fighter DLC received until February, assuming Ultimate doesn't get additional fighters outside of the Fighters Pass - the dollar value of the three post-E3 DLC fighters in Smash 4 was $17 ($6 each for Cloud and Bayonetta, $5 for Corrin), while it'll be $18 for Ultimate ($6 each for three Challenger Packs).

Of course, Smash 4 also received paid standalone stage DLC as well - Dream Land 64 at E3, Hyrule Castle 64 and Peach's Castle 64 at the end of July, and then Pirate Ship and Super Mario Maker a couple of months after that. It'll be interesting to see if Ultimate's DLC cycle offers anything equivalent - one thing to consider is that these DLC waves served as fillers between fighters, since there was a six-month gap between Lucas+Roy+Ryu and Cloud in Smash 4's cycle, whereas Ultimate may go for a more evenly staggered DLC release schedule. Smash 4 also sold primarily returning stages, which there aren't a lot left of for Ultimate to sell. Furthermore, Ultimate is guaranteed to receive five stages as DLC via the Fighters Pass, while Smash 4 only had three stages tied to fighter DLC, so it's arguable that there's less of a need for standalone DLC stages in Ultimate.

If Ultimate doesn't take the Smash 4 route of selling standalone stages on top of fighters and Mii costumes, the question is, will they sell any more standalone DLC during this cycle or not? And if so, what? Perhaps this is where standalone Echo Fighters could come into play. The value of the five standalone stages on the Wii U was $10.50, so they could equal that if they put out three Echo Fighters for $3.50 apiece...

Last edited:

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You are a multibillion dollar company with the most popular game around that everyone wants to be in and you are going through with:
  1. selling a fighters pass without revealing any character before the game is even out
  2. not showing this would be risk character first
  3. even if the game has a bad rep people will still be able to like the character (see also: everyone loves roy, ice climbers)
  4. the game is not made by idiots, I think they can gauge if a game might have some success to it
you can afford to take a risk

Also!

Sakurai did not passon Arms because it was unproven! He just didn't know about it at the time, the feeling I got is Springman (& Rex) would've gotten in otherwise.
Ice Climbers have a sort of retro appeal to them, & Roy is from a then-established IP. Including something like Astral Chain would be completely uncharted waters. From Nintendo's perspective, of course they're gonna hope that it succeeds. But not everything works out the way one expects.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wish they'd add another wild Pokemon to Smash

Jigglypuff and Lucario are the only two... I guess Pichu too, but it's a baby Pokemon which is a bit different.

We also only have 1 legendary and no mythicals.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Ice Climbers have a sort of retro appeal to them, & Roy is from a then-established IP. Including something like Astral Chain would be completely uncharted waters. From Nintendo's perspective, of course they're gonna hope that it succeeds. But not everything works out the way one expects.
My point with ice climbers was purely to list a character people can still like despite their game being bad (to be clear FE6 isn't a BAD game but it's not many people's favorites for assorted reasons and canon roy is dull as dirt), not that Nintendo took a risk on Ice Climber. At the end of the day, if the game is a failure or bad or a mess or underperforms or WHATEVER, you can still get people that like and would buy that character if it's interesting enough. And if it works then hey! You got an extra successful game!

Like just take a calculated risk. It will be okay (I mean ffs how many people do you think bought the pass when no one was revealed much less when Joker was revealed and then released? you probably have most of your DLC audience already!) and you can use that to help gauge future endeavors of this nature.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem wasn't establish in the West. Pretty weak argument there.

They absolutely can risk it with Something like Astral Chain. It's not going to flop. it much more visually appealing and interesting to the audiences then Wonderful 101. Also, it is a risk, of course they know not everything can work out in the long run, but if you struck gold, you can gain so much

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My point with ice climbers was purely to list a character people can still like despite their game being bad (to be clear FE6 isn't a BAD game but it's not many people's favorites for assorted reasons and canon roy is dull as dirt), not that Nintendo took a risk on Ice Climber. At the end of the day, if the game is a failure or bad or a mess or underperforms or WHATEVER, you can still get people that like and would buy that character if it's interesting enough. And if it works then hey! You got an extra successful game!

Like just take a calculated risk. It will be okay (I mean ffs how many people do you think bought the pass when no one was revealed much less when Joker was revealed and then released? you probably have most of your DLC audience already!) and you can use that to help gauge future endeavors of this nature.
Fire Emblem wasn't establish in the West. Pretty weak argument there.

They absolutely can risk it with Something like Astral Chain. It's not going to flop. it much more visually appealing and interesting to the audiences then Wonderful 101. Also, it is a risk, of course they know not everything can work out in the long run, but if you struck gold, you can gain so much
But Fire Emblem was at least established in Japan, which helped lead to Marth & Roy's initial inclusion in Melee. That aside, Sakurai has moved away from taking those kinds of risks these days. He's even moved away from region-exclusive characters post-Lucas. I want to believe that Astral Chain will succeed (& I have every intension of buying it), but that's no guarantee. And after The Wonderful 101's failure, I feel like Nintendo may air on the side of caution.

As for what r_n said about Spring Man & Rex, while I do think Rex would have gotten in if Sakurai knew about him sooner, I doubt that Spring Man would have gotten in for the same reason why I don't think we'll get an Astral Chain rep in the Fighters Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.