• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
If we are going to get an anime swordfighter, the only one who deserves it is Vyse

b9001b38bb9505540a3a6eb6bca3629b.jpg

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
So we thinking there's gonna be 2 characters revealed at e3? We only have one so far and a stated Feb 2020 deadline (currently).

Normally I would expect to see two fighters announcing at there but I have a gut feeling that we might only see an announcement during E3 direct then they would drop smash trailer afterward or later on.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
We may not view Erdrick as big enough to carry an E3 Smash presentation but Nintendo does have a vested interest in treating Dragon Quest as The Shit. Blowing off Erdrick by tying him to Banjo is kind of a tacit admission that he's not worth caring about. Nintendo wants to treat Dragon Quest as big a deal as it is in Japan, so I think there's an argument to be made that they'd focus entirely on Erdrick.
I don't think that's the way marketing works. Imagine this happening with any other character that you don't think is a big deal. Like, let me annoy myself more, Rayman. You can also imagine there being a bunch of Rayman games coming to Switch in 2020 as a 25th anniversary thing, to make the analogy to DQ11S. Do you think people would think Rayman is a bigger deal now that Nintendo gave him a time interval for himself? I'm asking because I don't think so. I think people would be scratching their heads in the best case.

I think there's an analogy here to be made with misfired highlights on conferences. Remember Nintendo Land E3? Did people like it?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's the way marketing works. Imagine this happening with any other character that you don't think is a big deal. Like, let me annoy myself more, Rayman. You can also imagine there being a bunch of Rayman games coming to Switch in 2020 as a 25th anniversary thing, to make the analogy to DQ11S. Do you think people would think Rayman is a bigger deal now that Nintendo gave him a time interval for himself? I'm asking because I don't think so. I think people would be scratching their heads in the best case.

I think there's an analogy here to be made with misfired highlights on conferences. Remember Nintendo Land E3? Did people like it?

The way I see it Nintendo really wants Dragon Quest to be a big deal over here (again. They've been trying since 1989) and what's more, they already treat it as a legendary iconic franchise when most Western RPG fans don't really care about it; the Direct showing off DQXIS even began with "there's RPGs and then there's Dragon Quest" so I think at least they're treating Dragon Quest as A Big Deal. So ending their conference with a more wanted character like Banjo kind of undercuts that push I feel.

But, we do have a chance of getting two characters since as previously stated multiple E3s have had dual reveals.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I like that E3 2018 still only barely counts with "two new characters" because they announced both Daisy and Ridley.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Man now that I think about it I'm running three bets now. Elma for Clefargle, Steve for yuoke, and now Master Chief for Xwing.

I know I've lost literally every avatar bet I've ever made but I've got a good feeling this time! Alternatively we find out my gambling luck is so bad I can warp reality.

Well, If it's reassuring to you I've never won an avatar bet yet lol. I have two bets going, one for Elma and the other for Retro studios new game at e3.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I predicting just the one reveal. I mean if I'm wrong and we get two it's not like I'd be disappointed.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
We'll get the one, it'll be Erdrick, I'll be happy for DQ but probably far from excited by the character himself and be glad we can finally move onto something else in our perpetual cycle.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking one character with MAYBE a tease for the next one.

Only way I see two happening is if the first character is a "available right after the presentation" drop.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Have they ever teased for a new character to be revealed later. I see that brought up a fair amount.

Like the closest I can think of (no vague background barrels do not count) is Cloud's trailer being followed by an announcement of the final presentation. And that's obviously different. Dark Pit at the end of Palutena's trailer, maybe?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Have they ever teased for a new character to be revealed later. I see that brought up a fair amount.

Like the closest I can think of (no vague background barrels do not count) is Cloud's trailer being followed by an announcement of the final presentation. And that's obviously different. Dark Pit at the end of Palutena's trailer, maybe?

I think people mean something like Joker, where we know the character is coming, but we don't find out how they play until later.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

Only way I see two happening is if the first character is a "available right after the presentation" drop.
Well yeah, I think everyone expecting two reveals thinks that one will release during E3, and the other will release in a few months.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

Chrom way in advance.

Buy In all seriousness. They don't with new characters. Dark Pit is probably the only time I can remember recently. But even then he wasn't revealed by Nintendo/Sakurai. You found out yourself when you play the game (well that was the intent but leaks)

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it Nintendo really wants Dragon Quest to be a big deal over here (again. They've been trying since 1989) and what's more, they already treat it as a legendary iconic franchise when most Western RPG fans don't really care about it; the Direct showing off DQXIS even began with "there's RPGs and then there's Dragon Quest" so I think at least they're treating Dragon Quest as A Big Deal. So ending their conference with a more wanted character like Banjo kind of undercuts that push I feel.
Fair enough... if it's Banjo. Banjo is a Microsoft character even if he didn't use to. That's kinda unprecedented (though steps were there). Nintendo could reveal BotW level overhaul of BotW formula Zelda and Banjo would still be comparable.

But does it have to be Banjo or the likes?

In fact, I'm pretty sure any MS character but "Steve?" (if applicable) is such an outlandish concept, that it's Pack 5 material.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of funny to see arguments that Banjo isn't a proper MS character because they bought Rare after Banjo was conceived, yet Minecraft is totally 100% Microsoft despite it being the exact same situation.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of funny to see arguments that Banjo isn't a proper MS character because they bought Rare after Banjo was conceived, yet Minecraft is totally 100% Microsoft despite it being the exact same situation.
Even Master Chief was a creation of Bungie before Halo was an Xbox game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough... if it's Banjo. Banjo is a Microsoft character even if he didn't use to. That's kinda unprecedented (though steps were there). Nintendo could reveal BotW level overhaul of BotW formula Zelda and Banjo would still be comparable.

But does it have to be Banjo or the likes?

In fact, I'm pretty sure any MS character but "Steve?" (if applicable) is such an outlandish concept, that it's Pack 5 material.

To be honest I can't even remember why I and others became so convinced of a Microsoft character. I guess it just feels as if the stars are aligned for Banjo.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I don't think we've ever gotten a character reveal from a Smash tournament, E3 or otherwise.
Technically the Roy/Ryu announcement happened before the Nintendo World Championships, but if that doesn't count, it's always time to try new things I guess.

I can't see the Erdrick reveal and breakdown happening in the main E3 Direct; 2015 is the precedent for Smash DLC at E3 and i'm following it.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been thinking that a separate Smash presentation is a necessity. Nintendo has a lot to get through with its main Direct, and I can't imagine Smash DLC taking up 10+ minutes of precious real estate there.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

I agree because otherwise you would have one (erdrick) getting ready for launch, but by the time he would come out, everyone would just be waiting for the next one.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I've been thinking that a separate Smash presentation is a necessity. Nintendo has a lot to get through with its main Direct, and I can't imagine Smash DLC taking up 10+ minutes of precious real estate there.

They could just make the character announcements there with Sakurai's usual detailed breakdown in a separate video.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I agree because otherwise you would have one (erdrick) getting ready for launch, but by the time he would come out, everyone would just be waiting for the next one.

Show Erdrick on a Saturday Smash Direct before the tournament. Let him get all the spotlight with tournament gameplay. Releases same day Saturday.

E3 stream several days later teases character #3, but to be released in August. Erdrick and DQ gets its time in the spotlight but they get a chance to tease a more megaton announcement for the western audience.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I love this continued idea that no one in the West cares about Dragon Quest. For many he would most certainly be a megaton. Heck, we even know that this E3 there's a good chance we'll be seeing at least two DQ games.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how full of love the Castlevania and Persona reveals were, I'm certain a Dragon Quest trailer/breakdown will win the skeptics over.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Dragon Quest is not that big a deal overseas" is not a controversial statement. Like I thought that's why Nintendo is giving its third go-around at making it a success story in the West after literally giving away copies of DQ1 and Square's failure to capitalize on the 1mil success of DQ9.

If there were some kind of invisible criteria that dictated what characters were worthy a Dragon Quest rep would still fall comfortably within that due to its iconic nature in its home country. And even if a handful of forum goers aren't ecstatic, who cares? You're still getting Erdrick.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I love this continued idea that no one in the West cares about Dragon Quest. For many he would most certainly be a megaton. Heck, we even know that this E3 there's a good chance we'll be seeing at least two DQ games.

Do you really think the main character from Dragon Quest 3 would elicit the reactions in the west comparable to the likes of Ryu, Mega Man, and Pac-Man?

Saying it wouldn't be a megaton announcement for westerners isn't the same as "no one in the west cares."

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Do you really think the main character from Dragon Quest 3 would elicit the reactions in the west comparable to the likes of Ryu, Mega Man, and Pac-Man?
To be fair.

Erdirck is only heavily discussed cause of a datamined. They could've been planning a single revel at E3 since before DLC was announced. Had "Brave" never been datamine, you think we would be thinking Erdrick as the next DLC reveal?

I just think Nintendo knows it can make almost any smash character exciting. I feel Erdrick is enough for them.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Saying it wouldn't be a megaton announcement for westerners isn't the same as "no one in the west cares."

Let's face it, considering how he's revealed, most people will think he's related to DBZ somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.