• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Have I entered the quantum realm?

47697.jpg

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Soooooo I'm not liking the Ace Attorney writing for the female characters so far. Nor some of the designs.

First victim was decribed as a Gold Digger with no loyalty.
And second perp is a girl who uses her looks To get what she wants and described as ugly when she's angry.

Tell me it doesn't keep doing this for long.

It doesn't.

Maya will become one of your favorite characters, lol.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't make you the central protagonist of the series when the protagonist is changing like every game. (and how they basically did jack all with Chris's story)

and what are you doing exactly?

....but Ryu is unique and iconic? Why wouldn't Sakurai want that? Weird flex.

Yup. Is there something wrong with that?

You and I both know that Luminary is only the default because of the obvious tie-in and meddling from Square/Nintendo for the upcoming DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition™. Erdrick would have been the Sakurai pick.

Action goes hand in hand with survival horror of the PSX trilogy so I don't see them as distinct as you do with RE4.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Leon, Jill, or Chris's backstory holds no relevance to Smash Bros and fighter selection whatsoever.

Jill is not foregoing any logical leaps and people don't want her just for her gender. Really dude? She's one of the most badass characters in gaming and her being the first female protgonaist in a survival horror game (and not being sexualized in a time of Lara Croft and other BS on top of it) is a plus.

What the fuck? Let's go from one of the most progressive characters in gaming to an underaged sexualized genie?

I smell recency bias. I'm just gonna reiterate again that you're comparing vastly different eras in the gaming climate. Crazy big remakes with tweaks have become the norm over the years and I don't see how this is relevant at all. (along with comparing it to a 2002 remake)
Yeah Luminary is the default most likely for the DQXI tie in but that doesn't take away from the fact that the oldest character in the alt lineup is from DQ III. Which shows that Sakurai doesn't need adhere to the original game for the representation.

I'm not even the first people who would separate the Survival Horror based classic RE games to the action games from RE4 to RE6. It doesn't matter if you don't see genre with RE everyone else does and can tell there was a different direction taken for the series from 4 to 6. My point is that Leon can represent both and the fact his two games were among the most popular in both styles is a huge point in his favor.

I only brought up Leon's backstory and design to illustrate that even in Smash he would still stand out just as much as Jill does. In someways even more because we already have the stoic militaristic woman fighter in Samus. Both regular and Zero Suit.

I'm not saying people are bending over backwards to justify their desire for Jill. That's fine but it's the insistence she'll be the RE rep if we were to get one even though it doesn't make much of any sense looking at past precedent and what Sakurai tends to prioritize. I'm illustrating my point that she is far from likely to be chosen to be playable and it would be a pleasant surprise if she was. Double if she's the only one and not as an alt or tied with the other RE protags.

Also devolving Shantae to just being a sexualized character is absolutely unfair. On top of being a female character she would also be a POC, and an indie rep which would be great to have in Smash. Is she sexualized sure but that doesn't take away her merit for representation. Also try to get off your high horse with that one bud because it does no favors to your point. Even then I was saying it because you might as well advocate for other franchises or characters for female representation. Hell even advocate Chun Li because she has just as much a chance as being playable as Jill at this point

Who cares about Recency Bias. Point is RE got a relatively faithful remake that while a great effort still pales in comparison to RE2 which got a massive overhaul that increased the scale of RE2 by a country mile. The point is as of this point RE2 is probably a bigger deal than RE1 and guess what the protagonist of RE2 is also the protag of RE4 which is also immensely popular, iconic, and influential and a Nintendo exclusive. Kind of like looking at series precedent it would be Leon S Kennedy who would get the Smash invite while Jill is lucky to tag along as an alt

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Soooooo I'm not liking the Ace Attorney writing for the female characters so far. Nor some of the designs.

And second perp is a girl who uses her looks To get what she wants and described as ugly when she's angry.

the first victim unironically did nothing wrong and Larry is just the worst person in the world

There's some bad reads you can have on the other women in the series but they have flaws/traits you just as easily see on the men (& often do).

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
Jill is iconic, therefore she's possible. We could even get Leon as an alt or echo. I know nothing about Chris.

Can we please move on from this mad cycle?

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see Leon or Monster Hunter over doomslayer. If we do get a Bethesda rep I would love a Dragon born with the skins being different races of Tamriel.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Sora in Smash would be awesome. Hate all the KH bashing in here. It's not the pinnacle of storytelling but I was invested

Stage: Hollow Bastion

Music
- Night of Fate
- Darkness of the Unknown
- The 13th Struggle
- Dark Impetus
- Vector to the Heavens
- The Other Promise
- Rage Awakened
- Fate of the Unknown

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

That's a little unfair when the first case had Mia who is awesome and basically carried Phoenix in his first case and second case had Maya who's basically the co star of the OG trilogy.

Trust me the Ace Attorney games are fine with female representation. A solid batch of lovable characters and villains in the female roster

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sora in Smash would be awesome. Hate all the KH bashing in here. It's not the pinnacle of storytelling but I was invested

Music
- Night of Fate
- The 13th Struggle
- Dark Impetus
- Vector to the Heavens
- The Other Promise
- Rage Awakened
- Fate of the Unknown
I'm not really a big kh fan, so without the disney stuff would just make it lame and blegh. I don't irrationally hate the series like some people, but yea, it needs the dianey stuff, which won't happen.

Aug 12, 2019
You and I both know that Luminary is only the default because of the obvious tie-in and meddling from Square/Nintendo for the upcoming DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition™. Erdrick would have been the Sakurai pick.

I don't think that's something you can just casually state with so much certainty. Yes, Dragon Quest III is an incredibly important game in the series for a multitude of reasons and Erdrick is a reasonable pick for the DQ rep, but there's no way to just blatantly claim that as some sort of obvious fact. DQ doesn't have a clear "most popular" protagonist like Final Fantasy did, so any of them could have presumably fit that role, including V's in an alternate scenario where the character doesn't have to share 4 primary alts with similar properties. Or maybe just Luminary wins because Dragon Quest 11 is an important game in the series that return DQ to form on home console. Or maybe Eight get the spot because Sakurai decides to go for a worldwide appeal character out of the options available.

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018

Let evil people be ugly. Also, Mia and Maya are great characters. I'm fine with characters not being perfect, regardless of gender.

Aug 12, 2019
I'm generally against Dragonborn because of how hard it becomes to make that character right. There are 10 playable races in the game, an in-depth character customization tool, and you would need to have male and female options. I know Smash has made some of those decisions before with an Avatar character with Animal Crossing for example, but the options and looks of player characters in Skyrim are so much more expansive and personal. I just have a really hard time determining how you decide which options to include in such a fighter that doesn't end up disappointing in the end as you have to invariably leave important races behind (especially since, for some reason, Sakurai seems determined to cap the costumes at 8 in Ultimate despite Smash 4 allowing for 16 in some instances...).

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really a big kh fan, so without the disney stuff would just make it lame and blegh. I don't irrationally hate the series like some people, but yea, it needs the dianey stuff, which won't happen.
Believe when I say that even if they had free reigns with the Disney stuff that making Kingdom Hearts with nothing but Disney or having it be a huge presence would be a less accurate way to represent the series than if it didn't.

Outside of marketing it's not really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things for the games especially for Sora appearing in crossover games

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it really doesn't if you've played the whole series.

If Sora's playable....

Echo possibilities
- Roxas
- Ventus
- Xion

AT possibilities
- Aqua
- Riku
- Terra
- any of the villains listed in bosses or echoes

Stage Possibilities
- Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden
- Traverse Town
- Land of Departure
- Castle Oblivion
- Twilight Town
- End of the World
- Daybreak Town
- World that Never Was
- Keyblade Graveyard
- Scala ad Caelum

Boss possibilities (depending on stage)
- Ansem
- Xemnas
- Master Xehanort
- Terranort
- Young Xehanort
- Any Organization XIII member (there's like 12 I didn't list)
- any giant heartless

Sora's FS could be one of the variety of dual attacks he does in DDD with Riku, or that moment in KH3 where he rides tons of keyblades

There's also like 30 other applicable music tracks from goddess Shimomura other than the one I listed. Spirits can also be any of the characters listed.

Believe it or not, nearly everything listed up there has a fanbase. Even without Disney, I think Kingdom Hearts is one of the third party series with the most great content to bring to Smash.

But I actually am of the mind we get a final smash featuring Donald and goofy if he does get in

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I'm generally against Dragonborn because of how hard it becomes to make that character right. There are 10 playable races in the game, an in-depth character customization tool, and you would need to have male and female options. I know Smash has made some of those decisions before with an Avatar character with Animal Crossing for example, but the options and looks of player characters in Skyrim are so much more expansive and personal. I just have a really hard time determining how you decide which options to include in such a fighter that doesn't end up disappointing in the end as you have to invariably leave important races behind (especially since, for some reason, Sakurai seems determined to cap the costumes at 8 in Ultimate despite Smash 4 allowing for 16 in some instances...).
Every time I play their games my character is completely decked out in armor and which I'll never see what I did. Stopped bothering with character customizers in games where equipment covers your character completely. That includes lots of stuff like bethesda stuff, minecraft, from software stuff, runescape, etc.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Believe when I say that even if they had free reigns with the Disney stuff that making Kingdom Hearts with nothing but Disney or having it be a huge presence would be a less accurate way to represent the series than if it didn't.

Outside of marketing it's not really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things for the games especially for Sora appearing in crossover games
To the general demographic, the disney aspect is huge and it just not being there at all would be a big confusion to non hardcore fand.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To the general demographic, the disney aspect is huge and it just not being there at all would be a big confusion to non hardcore fand.
Sure but if you played the games you'd realize the KH stuff can stand on it's own and basically has since at least KH2.

I don't think non fans are going to be confused if Sora isn't fighting with Aladdin, Tron, or Buzz Lightyear in Smash Bros. Especially when the other RPG characters in Smash didn't need to do that

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
Every time I play their games my character is completely decked out in armor and which I'll never see what I did. Stopped bothering with character customizers in games where equipment covers your character completely. That includes lots of stuff like bethesda stuff, minecraft, from software stuff, runescape, etc.
Thank god terraria allows you to override your armor aesthetic while retaining their stats.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Music
- Night of Fate
- The 13th Struggle
- Dark Impetus
- Vector to the Heavens
- The Other Promise
- Rage Awakened
- Fate of the Unknown
I feel like Twilight Town seems like the default town now. My money would be on Twilight Town, although there is also the Keyblade graveyard and Destiny Islands...

A lot of options here.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only brought up Leon's backstory and design to illustrate that even in Smash he would still stand out just as much as Jill does. In someways even more because we already have the stoic militaristic woman fighter in Samus. Both regular and Zero Suit.
You might as well say Snake is the same for men. It's not like any of these characters resemble one another anyway or even fill similar roles.

For the most part, it's not great. The second game has a case where a bunch of grown men have the hots for a 16-year-old girl. Though I really like Oldbag, the Feys, and Adrian, even if some of them come with caveats.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You might as well say Snake is the same for men. It's not like any of these characters resemble one another anyway or even fill similar roles.

For the most part, it's not great. The second game has a case where a bunch of grown men have the hots for a 16-year-old girl. Though I really like Oldbag, the Feys (even with some reservations on Mia), and Adrian.
I was just saying that Leon would be slightly more unique if only because he's straight up just a regular dude but I didn't really mean to put Jill down that much. There's room for her and Samus even if I don't see Jill being the rep

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The discussions are mostly all rehashes now of either asking for chances for new reps or lists for what people want of a first party pass/smash 6. Clearly not much more for anyone to say. We need character 4.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't think that's something you can just casually state with so much certainty. Yes, Dragon Quest III is an incredibly important game in the series for a multitude of reasons and Erdrick is a reasonable pick for the DQ rep, but there's no way to just blatantly claim that as some sort of obvious fact. DQ doesn't have a clear "most popular" protagonist like Final Fantasy did, so any of them could have presumably fit that role, including V's in an alternate scenario where the character doesn't have to share 4 primary alts with similar properties. Or maybe just Luminary wins because Dragon Quest 11 is an important game in the series that return DQ to form on home console. Or maybe Eight get the spot because Sakurai decides to go for a worldwide appeal character out of the options available.
The only hero who is consistently shown using a shield is Erdrick. The other three are never shown using shields in any official art. That makes it pretty obvious that Erdrick was the hero in mind when the character's moveset was being thought up.

Despite the shield being a part of Hero's moveset and a part of the character's design, Erdrick is the only hero shown using it in the CGI trailer.

Solo looks so weird holding a shield that his official Smash art doesn't even include it lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.