Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO Mai should be the SNK rep instead of Terry, although literally any other SNK rep would have been better than Terry
VUmUyAF.gif

What could have been.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty hard to argue against Terry as the first SNK rep. He's SNK's most popular character, SNK's most recurring character, the main character of SNK's first fighting game series, and he has perfect attendance in The King of Fighters. He represents SNK's legacy better than anyone else.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The law of Fighting Game Mascots dictates the least visually and mechanically interesting character must be the default.

This law does not apply to Sol Badguy, who breaks the law, hence the surname Badguy.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if we got mega man x in the season 2 pass. I know it's a pipe dream but it would get me to spend money on their dlc finally.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to me that the "main characters" of games tend to be so popular. I know that all evidence points to people loving your Marios and your Pikachus and your Ryus but I just can't wrap my head around it. They're just so... basic.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario and co. being the most boring motherfuckers is why I'm down with Smash's reinterpretation of Mario as the angriest man who ever lived.

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty hard to argue against Terry as the first SNK rep. He's SNK's most popular character, SNK's most recurring character, the main character of SNK's first fighting game series, and he has perfect attendance in The King of Fighters. He represents SNK's legacy better than anyone else.
That means less to some people than having a character who is more interesting and exciting to them, which is what we're talking about. I mean, tons and tons of South Americans were excited at the idea of Geese or Iori when they watched the trailer despite knowing it was going to be Terry.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At least Terry is a cool character and has a decent story that's progressed over the years. He's infinitely more charismatic for a fighting game protagonist than Battle Hobo Ryu is at least.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
That means less to some people than having a character who is more interesting and exciting to them, which is what we're talking about. I mean, tons and tons of South Americans were excited at the idea of Geese or Iori when they watched the trailer despite knowing it was going to be Terry.
Terry is beloved by SNK fans, though. I was mainly responding to, "literally any other SNK rep would have been better than Terry," which is just comically absurd.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They probably considered a "Cappy spin" for Mario's Down B or whatever, but figured with Luigi and Doc around, keeping FLUDD helps keep their movesets diverse.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as fighting game leads go Terry is pretty good. Looking back at those old SNK designs I feel they were a lot better than anything Capcom put out until Alpha and SF3.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Cappy's capture mechanic is too time-consuming and complicated to function as a basic Smash Bros. special, and without that power it'd just be a generic projectile, which Mario already has.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to me that the "main characters" of games tend to be so popular. I know that all evidence points to people loving your Marios and your Pikachus and your Ryus but I just can't wrap my head around it. They're just so... basic.
Same logic as the silently protagonist always being at the top of popularity polls.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
They probably considered a "Cappy spin" for Mario's Down B or whatever, but figured with Luigi and Doc around, keeping FLUDD helps keep their movesets diverse.
Cappy isn't a true projectile, he has a function when he hits stuff, so without being able to implement that function, I doubt Sakurai considered it. There's no way to effectively implement Cappy into Mario's moveset

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The main character from soul caliber with the sword even bigger then clouds would be fun

The only soul caliber game I've played is the crappy action adventure wii game

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cappy could at most function as a command grab, which I think could be fun. He could either drag enemies to Mario or drag Mario to enemies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main character from soul caliber with the sword even bigger then clouds would be fun

The only soul caliber game I've played is the crappy action adventure wii game

The leads of Soul Calibur used to be Sophitia with Soul Edge, then Xianghua in Soul Calibur 1 and 2.

Then Siegfried and that fuck Patrolkos took over and everything went to hell.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Same logic as the silently protagonist always being at the top of popularity polls.
Link is probably the most popular silent Protagonist. Think he won that smash era poll for favorite character.
Cappy could at most function as a command grab, which I think could be fun. He could either drag enemies to Mario or drag Mario to enemies.
My favorite move from Cappy was using it as a platform to jump on. I think that could've been neat somehow.

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The leads of Soul Calibur used to be Sophitia with Soul Edge, then Xianghua in Soul Calibur 1 and 2.

Then Siegfriend and that fuck Patrolkos took over and everything went to hell.
Siegfried has sort of always been the central character, but never often the lead, and there were always major lead characters who faced him and Nightmare. Having both Nightmare and Xianghua would be fitting; one wielding Soul Edge and the other wielding Soul Calibur.

My favorite move from Cappy was using it as a platform to jump on. I think that could've been neat somehow.
That's a perfect additional function, actually.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The kiwi monster Pikmin one has you with Olimar. Calamity Ganon has you with Zelda. I think there's a few more where you lose if your ally dies.
The Donkey Kong arcade one was torture! You teamed up with Peach and had to fight a giant DK on 75m and keep both you and Peach alive. FUCK that battle, and FUCK 75m! XD

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The law of Fighting Game Mascots dictates the least visually and mechanically interesting character must be the default.

This law does not apply to Sol Badguy, who breaks the law, hence the surname Badguy.
I know this post is a joke but I can't get myself to think this about Mishimas or Akira lol

but I guess 3D fighters are different!

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing about 75M is that I'm pretty sure that literally any of the other three screens from the original Donkey Kong would have made a better Smash stage and I don't think it's even close.

latest

Like they just deliberately chose the one that would be the worst in terms of Smash Bros. playability.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I know this post is a joke but I can't get myself to think this about Mishimas or Akira lol

but I guess 3D fighters are different!

I mean Akira and Heihachi are just dudes in gis, nothing revolutionary about them, at least visually.

Heihachi does have a couple of cool alternate costumes, I suppose.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Funny thing about 75M is that I'm pretty sure that literally any of the other three screens from the original Donkey Kong would have made a better Smash stage and I don't think it's even close.

latest

Like they just deliberately chose the one that would be the worst in terms of Smash Bros. playability.
They chose the one that was the most annoying and the most difficult and thought it would be fun to piss everybody off.

To be fair, 75m does have the most action out of all of them. Elevator platforms, fire hazards, a random-ass spring, asymmetrical platforming... It still fucking sucks!

50m is my favorite.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Cappy's capture mechanic is too time-consuming and complicated to function as a basic Smash Bros. special, and without that power it'd just be a generic projectile, which Mario already has.

The movement options alone make the movement in Odyssey the best in a 3d platformer and that's ignoring capturing/controlling opponents which could easily be a mid air command grab type deal like Isabelles Fishing line.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The level of bad spicy takes in the thread tonight is much higher than normal.

Terry Bogard is a delightful cheese danish and slandering him is disgraceful.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I still don't get why Brawl had two random retro stages (75m and Mario Bros) yet R.O.B. was left homeless.

A Gyromite stage (with the main gimmick being that the blue and red pipes move to change the paths open for fighting) could've been fun.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I still don't get why Brawl had two random retro stages (75m and Mario Bros) yet R.O.B. was left homeless.

A Gyromite stage (with the main gimmick being that the blue and red pipes move to change the paths open for fighting) could've been fun.

characters that commit war crimes don't get stages

Status
Not open for further replies.