• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Heath is trying to banish us to the OT Shadow Realm.

Banish you, KtotheRoc and MondoMega to the shadow realm would be the good moves!

M6HuZR9.gif

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Objectively speaking, in the very unlikely event Valve got a rep in Smash, Gordon would make the most sense.

I just think it's kind of a shame because out of all of Valve's IPs, Team Fortress 2 feels like it'd jell the most with Smash Bros., in terms of characters, aesthetics, music, etc.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Riiight. And River City I guess.
Dynasty and Samurai Warriors.
If we're considering modern stuff someone probably could bring up Yakuza again. But, riiight.
My pick for a Sega rep is the Space Harrier guy. His gimmick will be that he can fly anywhere and everywhere on the screen.
Ridley and Dark Pit were robbed. And Pit, maybe.
Huh.

Danton

May 31, 2019
I feel like her crossover appearances always get taken a bit too far in these conversations. She's appeared in Marvel vs. Capcom, Project X Zone, and Teppen. When she joined Marvel vs. Capcom 2 in 2000, she was the only Resident Evil character to have appeared in two games and thus was a more likely and well known inclusion, and then she was largely grandfathered in moving in to MvC3 it seems and got paired up with Wesker and Chris Redfield for that game by the end of things too. A lot for Resident Evil has changed in extremely significant ways since 2000. Project X Zone is a tiny niche no matter how you look at it. And Teppen kind of speaks for itself as the card mobile game too. I just don't see a very compelling case for her as the "go to" for crossovers when half of the crossovers are very minor/fairly inconsequential roles, and the other half is a Marvel vs. Capcom position she largely got due to the timing of Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

I still think Jill Valentine is an incredibly solid choice for Resident Evil, I just don't like people really falling on the "go to protagonist for crossovers" when I just don't see a super compelling case for that conclusion.

She was the Resident Evil rep in Puzzle Fighter, Street Fighter x All Capcom, was in Onimusha Soul, and has just had two of her costumes added to Street Fighter V.

They might all be low priority projects for Capcom, but they still used Jill over Leon or Chris.

EDIT: She was also in We Love Golf! IIRC.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Like there was even a chance Gabe would say no to a purely hypothetical scenario?

This tweet really doesn't mean anything.
Oh yeah, I agree. I can't remember a time any company has said "we'd say no," haha.

I just was surprised I found any interaction between Gabe and Smash Bros. And that he answers so many emails.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
So I have no idea about this, but my thought process goes like this:
  • TVTropes lists Baker as Sol's voice
  • TVTropes lists Mercer as commom replacement of Baker
  • Mercer is already in Ultimate as Chrom
I imagine that it was more of a thing with him not being dubbed in the past than union conflicts, then?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine that it was more of a thing with him not being dubbed in the past than union conflicts, then?
Mercer doesn't want to be typecast as "Not-Troy Baker" so they'd probably just get someone else.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm....

Smash has a VR mode.
Half-Life: Alex announced for VR
Email replay from Gabe about Smash
Geoff Keighley congratulated Valve for the 15th anniversary of Half-life 2
He is also recalled Joker's appearance of last year's Game Awards

What could it all mean?! Has Sakurai been the G-man this whole time? Will Gordon be awaken from stasis and plopped into Final Destination?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Baker wasn't even the most recent voice of Sol.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
The funniest thing about Half-life is that it's the only FPS western franchise that Sakurai has gone on record to praise and describe it as a "truly Nintendo experience".
(not that sakurai is bound to an opinion held 15 years ago, but i'm surprised more tinfoil hat smash fans haven't drawn the lines yet).

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
lol I swear that every time some new game gets announced this thread automatically starts talking about the characters appearing in Smash.

Oct 25, 2017
Chell but her music selection is in the same style as Terry

• Portal - Still Alive
  • Portal - 4000 Degrees Kelvin
  • Portal - You Can't Escape, You Know
  • Portal 2 - Science is Fun
  • Portal 2 - Reconstructing Science
  • Portal 2 - I AM NOT A MORON
  • Portal 2 - Your Precious Moon
  • Portal 2 - Cara Mia Addio
  • Portal 2 - You Will Be Perfect
  • Portal 2 - Robots FTW
  • Half-Life - Hazardous Environments
  • Half-Life - Nuclear Mission Jam
  • Half-Life 2 - You're Not Supposed To Be Here
  • Half-Life 2 - LG Orbifold
  • Half-Life 2: Episode Two - Vortal Combat
  • Half-Life 2: Episode Two - Last Legs
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Main Menu
  • Team Fortress 2 - Main Theme
  • Team Fortress 2 - Drunken Pipe Bomb
  • Team Fortress 2 - Right Behind You
  • Team Fortress 2 - MEDIC!
  • Left 4 Dead - Tank!
  • Left 4 Dead 2 - Skin of Our Teeth
  • Dota 2 - Main Menu 1 (Cinematic Trailer Theme)
  • Dota 2 - Main Menu 3

I may have gone a little bit overboard.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Chell but her music selection is in the same style as Terry

• Portal - Still Alive
  • Portal - 4000 Degrees Kelvin
  • Portal - You Can't Escape, You Know
  • Portal 2 - Science is Fun
  • Portal 2 - Reconstructing Science
  • Portal 2 - I AM NOT A MORON
  • Portal 2 - Your Precious Moon
  • Portal 2 - Cara Mia Addio
  • Portal 2 - You Will Be Perfect
  • Portal 2 - Robots FTW
  • Half-Life - Hazardous Environments
  • Half-Life - Nuclear Mission Jam
  • Half-Life 2 - You're Not Supposed To Be Here
  • Half-Life 2 - LG Orbifold
  • Half-Life 2: Episode Two - Vortal Combat
  • Half-Life 2: Episode Two - Last Legs
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Main Menu
  • Team Fortress 2 - Main Theme
  • Team Fortress 2 - Drunken Pipe Bomb
  • Team Fortress 2 - Right Behind You
  • Team Fortress 2 - MEDIC!
  • Left 4 Dead - Tank!
  • Left 4 Dead 2 - Skin of Our Teeth
  • Dota 2 - Main Menu 1 (Cinematic Trailer Theme)
  • Dota 2 - Main Menu 3

I may have gone a little bit overboard.
I'd love to see Gordon Freeman, Chell, or a TF2 rep like Heavy.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I put together a list of SNK songs I want in Smash, Terry gets confirmed.

I put together a list of Valve songs I want in Smash...?
The only music track lists I ever bothered to put together before E3 were for Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie. Since the September Direct, i've made lists for Katamari, Okami and a small Kirby expansion pack for Susie.

Guess i'm feasting.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
instead of gordon, why not chell
she'd be a more interesting character for sure

HEV Suit, Gravity Gun, Crowbar, Lots of wacky weapons including alien stuff.
or Portal Gun, and maybe the goop spray sort of like Inkling.

I mean portal gun is pretty awesome and potentially very cool in a fighting game, but Gordon has so much more to work with for a complete moveset.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
HEV Suit, Gravity Gun, Crowbar, Lots of wacky weapons including alien stuff.
or Portal Gun, and maybe the goop spray sort of like Inkling.

I mean portal gun is pretty awesome and potentially very cool in a fighting game, but Gordon has so much more to work with for a complete moveset.
no offense but one is just a melee weapon, and the hev suit doesnt actually do much beyond look cool
most of the weapons he gets in the game are standard guns, excluding the bug pheromones
chell got more potential

Oct 25, 2017
A moveset based around portals would be nuts.

And honestly, you could throw in a Turret as one of her specials as well, she interacts with them a lot throughout the series.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
no offense but one is just a melee weapon, and the hev suit doesnt actually do much beyond look cool
most of the weapons he gets in the game are standard guns, excluding the bug pheromones
chell got more potential

just a melee weapon...as in one of the most iconic fps melee weapons?

HEV suit has a great HUD, an AI voice that narrates his damage, lets him Sprint fast and Super jump (among other things that don't have much gameplay potential)

Gravity Gun (including the super version) is one of the best fps tools/weapons out there. Tau Canon is cool as shit. Hornet gun is weird and cool, and he can throw Snarks at people.

Chell has a cool but singular gimmick that just doesn't fill out a whole moveset.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
chell got more potential
A Ghost Buster Beam
A Charge Beam
A Guided rocket launcher
A Gun that fires energy balls that disintegrate anything they touch
A Gun that can manipulate gravity
an alien that he stuck his arm inside that shoots little insect

those are the wackiest things I vould think of.
I see much more offensive move potentiaö than woth chell where feels like you would need to able to aim with the portals somehow cause I don't see how the portals would work as a move.
I don't know what her other specials would be apart from hold down B to aim the portal gun with the stick or tap to quick fire.
I don't see how you would be able to make her a fun character and if you overdo the portals she would be very dependant on the stage.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
don't you people realize you're only supposed to start talking about a third party character when a Switch port is announced or, at the very least, rumored

you're breaking the LAW

Status
Not open for further replies.