• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo will drop the restrictions on captured footage after the Direct. Would be nice to actually hear the game without people talking over it, and crisp footage of the menus and victory screens would be cool.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I mean that's true but I'd personally rather see what they'd do with a bipedal dog god or a literal lawyer

Fair ...Or how about a god.....hand ?

Pf1BT7M.gif

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Brawl got delayed

Smash 4 had 6 months of nothing

The main issue I can think of is the slow info turnout especially over the past month and the Grinch leak mess. What do you have in particular against this hype cycle?

Nah, Smash 4 was more of a bummer. Between the ESRB leak and the long wait between the 3DS release and the real game, it ended on a pretty dull disappointing note.

Maybe I have outgrown the hype cycle, I still enjoy the trailers and reveals. But can't find myself enjoying the discussion, especially what's come as of late. Don't remember it ever being this cynical.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Innocnent Conversation Shift
Assuming the starting roster is just the original eight, who are you going to use first?

My main is Mario, so easy for me.

Mario's the only character from the original eight I can play semi-competently.

I hope the unlocks roll in as fast as possible. I need Lucas and K.Rool ASAP.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
People threatening and harassing others over this dumb video game stuff is revolting, but we'd be all better off without insiders leaking stuff honestly.

It's shaping the conversation too much, making devs, such as Sakurai, mad and killing or building hype artificially.

We've been decades without leaks in the industry, it's not like we need them, respect the natural flow of information. Right now every major game has at least two, three insiders leaking stuff, and most are fakers, it's getting ridiculous.
Thanks for saving me write this post

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Feel free to complain after we see how he play the game first.
Nah, I'm good voicing my misgivings with its inclusion whenever I feel like, thanks. If it impresses later, good. For now, see previous statement.

Same reason I wouldn't pick Decidueye either, despite it being my favorite of the gen 7 final starter evos. He's got limited potential for space other characters aren't already playing in.

Primarina has the most room for a unique moveset.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
By the way BGBW all those Idolm@ster videos you've posted in this thread has caused Youtube to start recommending me more of them.

So if I have to see these things appear in my recommended feed, then... well, sharing is caring!

And yet I still have no idea whatsoever how these games play. They do play in some way, right? Is it an idol management sim or something?

I will say, I wouldn't be opposed to Haruka in Smash. I mean there are worse ideas, and an idol based fighting style could be funny.

The console games are an idol sims/rhythm game, but since I can't read a lick of Japanese I just play the mobile titles which are pure rhythm games.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
The main issue I can think of is the slow info turnout especially over the past month and the Grinch leak mess. What do you have in particular against this hype cycle?
True, we did find out the game was coming out in the same year that it was announced. The reveals have definitely been far more spaced out with very little/nothing to go by in-between for a few months at a time.

March > June > August/September > November

Nintendo developed plenty of thirst from fans this time round. It's certainly demonstrated here with people cheering that we are finally getting news.

With Smash 4, we still got little tidbits most weeks. Brawl too.

It is also probably because we knew that there wouldn't be as many newcomers this time round.

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk tho, another thing I'm super excited about is v1.0 gameplay. I want to see what tweaks they've made since E3 build. I have huge expectations for this game competetively and I hope they nail it from the start.

If it's like other smash, there will be a lot of changes for the 1.0

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I do hope unlocks end up being like every five matches or something. Would make playing together with friends at launch super cool, as characters would keep rushing in.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Link for me. Want to try out his new moveset.

Really hope we find out how we unlock characters tomorrow.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
It was also shown in the amiibo description that scanning an amiibo unlocks the character from the get-go, right?

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Innocnent Conversation Shift
Assuming the starting roster is just the original eight, who are you going to use first?

My main is Mario, so easy for me.
Ever since Melee I traditionally had a Mario vs Bowser first match of the game.
Well, vs Bowser won't be possible this time, but Mario's there atleast!
Since he's also supposed to be the average middle-ground fighting character of the game it'll also give me a feel of how the game feels on average... I guess?

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Ever since Melee I traditionally had a Mario vs Bowser first match of the game.
Well, vs Bowser won't be possible this time, but Mario's there atleast!
Since he's also supposed to be the average middle-ground fighting character of the game it'll also give me a feel of how the game feels on average... I guess?
Haha, I used to do that too! Mario vs DK will have to do this time.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Question:
Does anyone else feel like Yoshi feels super awkward to play from Brawl onwards? His move set wasn't designed for his stance.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I have outgrown the hype cycle, I still enjoy the trailers and reveals. But can't find myself enjoying the discussion, especially what's come as of late. Don't remember it ever being this cynical.
That's fair.

Honestly the past month has been the worst time to talk about Smash.

After the teaser every thing was alright. We probably talked way too much about it being a port but it was fine otherwise.

Post E3 was great. The game looked fantastic and while it seemed there wasn't much new content at first the amount that we've seen was already amazing and served Smash fans well.

Post Smash Direct was awesome. Alot of new content, great newcomers, and opening up the door for alot of speculation.

Post Nintendo Direct/Isabelle was where things dipped significantly. Isabelle is a good and understandable inclusion but boy is she for a very specific audience and her announcement was here to serve the AC announcement. Then Box Theory came and fucked everything up and constricted speculation for the whole month and got people really hungry for info. Which is probably why the Grinch leak exploded the way it did. If there's one thing I wish never came out even more so then Grinch leak it's that dumb box. I would even go as far as to say that box planted the seed for the toxic mess the Grinch leak became.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Smash Ultimate Balance Patch #1:
1. Tax fraudster Yoshi is now in handcuffs.
2. Bayonetta's physique now matches her physique from her source games.
3. Wolf is now a Fox Echo.
4. Pichu now does more damage to itself.
5. We officially give up, and have replaced Bowser wholesale with Bowsette.

Status
Not open for further replies.