Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Well, it's half and half, more like. Nintendo gave Sakurai a list of suggestions and Sakurai picked the ones he preferred from that.

I'm pretty sure that Geno was not on that list, regardless.
Going by the wording of the tweet, Sakurai didn't pick what he preferred, but rather what he could actually make happen.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
This rollercoaster will never end.
I'm not even that invested in Geno, I mainly started supporting him because of the amount of people trashing on him in the previous DTs.

The fact that Geno and Mallow got in as Spirits is a sign that they clearly recognise his popularity, even if that doesn't get Geno anywhere as Ultimate DLC.

The problem now is that Sakurai didn't pick the characters for the Fighters Pass, Nintendo did.
As I said above, i'm not specifically talking about Ultimate (because his chances of making it into the Fighters Pass are really small; at least larger than Sora though), but I think it will happen eventually.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Well technically, Sakurai did pick them. From a list provided by Nintendo.

:P
Here's the tweet for reference.

Going by the wording, Nintendo made all of the picks, but Sakurai only interjected on if he could reasonably create the characters they suggested. There doesn't seem to be any indication that Sakurai picked what he personally wanted from their list, but rather asking "Can I make a character from who Nintendo asked for?" regarding each character.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
The problem now is that Sakurai didn't pick the characters for the Fighters Pass, Nintendo did.
I NEED people to stop saying this in this way, because it's misinformation that has literally spread everywhere. Nintendo didn't choose the characters. Sakurai said Nintendo gave him options and he decided who would work. It's not as hardline as people are making it out to be. It's pretty clear they worked together to come up with the DLC choices.
Well, it's half and half, more like. Nintendo gave Sakurai a list of suggestions and Sakurai picked the ones he preferred from that.

I'm pretty sure that Geno was not on that list, regardless.
This.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the tweet for reference.

Going by the wording, Nintendo made all of the picks, but Sakurai only interjected on if he could reasonably create the characters they suggested. There doesn't seem to be any indication that Sakurai picked what he personally wanted from their list, but rather asking "Can I make a character from who Nintendo asked for?" regarding each character.

That's exactly what i said.

And it's entirly possible Nintendo ended up choosing something he personally wanted. That's something we won't know for sure.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I NEED people to stop saying this in this way, because it's misinformation that has literally spread everywhere. Nintendo didn't choose the characters. Sakurai said Nintendo gave him options and he decided who would work. It's not as hardline as people are making it out to be. It's pretty clear they worked together to come up with the DLC choices.

This.
I made myself more clear in the post above yours. Like I said, the tweet doesn't imply that Sakurai had a say in what he wanted per-say, but rather what he could make happen (as you said in the bolded section). The "This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo." part is pretty clear-cut.

That's exactly what i said.

And it's entirly possible Nintendo ended up choosing something he personally wanted. That's something we won't know for sure.
Fair point. But as you said, there's no way of knowing if Nintendo & Sakurai's interests aligned for any of the characters until we get a statement from Sakurai after the fact.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even that invested in Geno, I mainly started supporting him because of the amount of people trashing on him in the previous DTs.

The fact that Geno and Mallow got in as Spirits is a sign that they clearly recognise his popularity, even if that doesn't get Geno anywhere as Ultimate DLC.
The older Super Mario RPG gets, the less likely Geno will ever happen. By the time the next Smash game is released, SMRPG will be somewhere in the ballpark of thirty years old. It doesn't matter how much Sakurai likes him; a three-decade-old secondary character that only appeared in one game in a significant capacity, and that Nintendo doesn't even own, is not ever getting into Smash. There are too many other characters that will be in line ahead of him.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
The second of the final five! Who's that obscure Nintendo character #147?

Goci6Rc.png

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I don't really think it does anything for the stage clarity. And as it has been pointed out, it was functionally identical.

And before it was kind of directly referencing the towers by taking place on one, rather than a floating platform. Those details weren't there for no reason.

"Stage clarity" is referring to Battlefield form, where the details in the background really would get in the way.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking back to all the CGI trailers with the characters "dying" in them, I guess we average out at 1 per big CG character reveal, didn't we?

Inklings - No one
Ridley - Mario and Mega Man
Simon/Richter Belmont - Luigi
K.Rool - DeDeDe
Isabelle - No one
Ken/Incineroar - Little Mac/Ken (didn't even last his reveal trailer).

6 for 6.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I don't really think it does anything for the stage clarity. And as it has been pointed out, it was functionally identical.

And before it was kind of directly referencing the towers by taking place on one, rather than a floating platform. Those details weren't there for no reason.
The thing is, devs dont make changes for no reason. And the idea that the new design is easier to make is not accurate to how game development works. The removal of those elements is a considered, concious decision. Whoever said that they aren't being as thorough or something just doesn't understand game development

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, devs dont make changes for no reason. And the idea that the new design is easier to make is not accurate to how game development works. The removal of those elements is a considered, concious decision. Whoever said that they aren't being as thorough or something just doesn't understand game development

I'm not saying that. I am aware that it was likely a conscious choice.

What I'm saying is that the Omega version would have been visually fine in terms of stage clarity with those details and that it's a bad change from an artistic standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.