Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Bandana Dee I can see treated like Captain Toad was.

Dixie is an easy echo it would be bizarre if she's overlooked.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Same. I think some people at Nintendo didn't like Rare or their characters and thought their fans didn't care for them either.

Dixie is back in TF though. With the rumored Star Fox Racing coming I can see Krystal as a character.
I don't think Krystal was dropped because she was a Rare character, considering Nintendo allowed Namco and Q-Games to use her after Rare left. I guess they didn't feel like finding a way to add her to their subsequent 64 remake and reboot.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I want to see the Moon assist trophy on the Midgar Stage.

It'll probably still be the Moon, but it would be neat in just that instance it would actually look like Meteor falling on the city.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
Same. I think some people at Nintendo didn't like Rare or their characters and thought their fans didn't care for them either.

Dixie is back in TF though. With the rumored Star Fox Racing coming I can see Krystal as a character.
I don't think so. The Kremlings did appear in sports spinoffs, and it's not like DK had a set developer until Retro decided to revive the series.

This narrative people like to push where Miyamoto has some vendetta against DK and actively prevented them from appearing in games doesn't sit right with me.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
He had a limp version of his shoulder tackle which was then removed but may now be back.
And his back throw was like Super Mario 64 DS I guess?
Stretch: his up B slightly inspired by spring wario form, maybe, probably not, I'm bullshitting
I think that's reference to his corcscrew move in Wario World, since his throws also come from the game.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Is Wario Ware Wario and Wario Land Wario even the same Wario? Maybe they're two different universes of the same character.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
As DrArchon pointed out in another thread, it sometimes feels like Nintendo/Miyamoto don't really seem to value the characters they own, but uh, didn't actually make.

I imagine any time someone asks Miyamoto or whoever about putting Waluigi in a Mario game, he'll just reply with "do we really need to?" as he did when Tanabe asked him about bringing K. Rool back for DKC Returns. It's quite telling that at some point, Nintendo was seemingly trying to purge all Rare elements from DK with Jungle Beat, with Koizumi claiming that all the old characters besides DK and "the banana" weren't fit or "fresh enough" for today's gaming climate. After JB not exactly taking off (though it was a great game in its own right), they've been kind of slowly (almost begrudgingly) bringing back the elements that people liked about the series, like Diddy, Cranky, Dixie, Funky, Rambi, Squawks, and now K. Rool and the Kremlings.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles

Amazing! If this is true this is exactly what I've been saying would happen since the stupid ballot started.

Hey guys, I finished my amiibo case cover, so excited for ultimate!
HGv9Osk.jpg

UiYEdWs.jpg

Over a month+ of work, finally finished!

Amazing!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Umm wasn't it said Miyamoto had a problem with Rare or he was jealous?

This interview is from 2010 and revolves around DKCR.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/06...to-likes-donkey-kong-country-after-all?page=3

IGN: Donkey Kong Country Returns. Of all the legacy games, I wouldn't have expected to see a return to Donkey Kong Country. Why that game over anything else?

Miyamoto: One of the reasons is that a lot of people in North America have been telling us that they want another Donkey Kong Country. So that's one reason. The other reason is that when Retro was considering what project to work on next and the Donkey Kong Country name came up as an option, everyone on the Retro team got very excited. I thought they might be more interested in creating something that has more realistic graphics, or something like that.

IGN: I was interviewing them earlier, and even though you weren't directly involved you were definitely very inspirational in making sure certain things were done in that game correctly. I'm wondering, which parts of Donkey Kong Country did you like versus not like? And what did you address with them?

Miyamoto: The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end.

And with this game too, I'll be involved on a check/confirmation level, looking over the game and checking the content. So it'll probably be a similar role to what I played in the development of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

In terms of things that I really wanted to see them focus on, particularly was the idea that in the original Donkey Kong Country the rendering and the effects that they used were very different from what you'd see in a Mario game. It had a very distinct feel. I thought it was important for them to keep that in mind. And also the fun of seeing the motion of that Donkey Kong hand slap is something that you don't get in other games as well.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That was a good read and to see Miyamoto addresses it. I love the part where North America wanted DK.

I would love an interview with Nintendo asking them how much have they brought back due to North Americans or westerners in general asking for it.

The part with Retro wanting to do DK and he thought they would've want to do something realistic speaks to Retro and is hilarious.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
reminder that Miyamoto is responsible for DK's necktie, the defining aspect of the Donkey Kong Country series

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As DrArchon pointed out in another thread, it sometimes feels like Nintendo/Miyamoto don't really seem to value the characters they own, but uh, didn't actually make.

I imagine any time someone asks Miyamoto or whoever about putting Waluigi in a Mario game, he'll just reply with "do we really need to?" as he did when Tanabe asked him about bringing K. Rool back for DKC Returns. It's quite telling that at some point, Nintendo was seemingly trying to purge all Rare elements from DK with Jungle Beat, with Koizumi claiming that all the old characters besides DK and "the banana" weren't fit or "fresh enough" for today's gaming climate. After JB not exactly taking off (though it was a great game in its own right), they've been kind of slowly (almost begrudgingly) bringing back the elements that people liked about the series, like Diddy, Cranky, Dixie, Funky, Rambi, Squawks, and now K. Rool and the Kremlings.

I agree, this is the sentiment I get with them slowly adding back characters to the Country series. Namco and Paon embraced the old cast almost immediately, but for Nintendo it is a rare sight to even see Diddy show up.

Deleted member 46641

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Captain Toad got done dirty. He could've had a cool design based on him not jumping, and he'd shown up in plenty of Mario games before captain Toad treasure tracker.

I guess the focus on long-requested nostalgic characters makes sense, given they're ignoring everything on the Wii u not named splatoon. It's a shame, but more people will enjoy a nostalgia bait festa than a homage to the Wii u era.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Before and after Jungle Beat, they were actually still pushing other Donkey Kong characters, even in Mario spin-offs. See Donkey Konga, Barrel Blast and Mario Kart Wii. Jungle Beat really was a standalone exception. But then years later we suddenly got an actual push back against those characters, with the DK characters removed from Mario spin offs for a while, alongside "avoid characters who aren't from the Mario universe" in RPGs which led to them lacking original villains and overusing using generic npcs.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Captain Toad got done dirty. He could've had a cool design based on him not jumping, and he'd shown up in plenty of Mario games before captain Toad treasure tracker.

I guess the focus on long-requested nostalgic characters makes sense, given they're ignoring everything on the Wii u not named splatoon. It's a shame, but more people will enjoy a nostalgia bait festa than a homage to the Wii u era.

I think he may have a shot for DLC, simply because he's just in the background of a stage and not an Assist trophy. If nothing else he's the next in line for a Mario rep, he would be chosen before Waluigi or even Paper Mario.

barley

Banned
Aug 16, 2018
Hi all...

Just letting you know we're getting a Wave Race assist trophy. It moves across the stage with a trail of water, similar Squirtle, & jumps up and down doing tricks. If a player comes into contact with assist trophy they get damaged

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not forget Nintendo took out Diddy Kong from Mario Kart 8. Nobody is bringing that up. Even in the Deluxe version they didn't bring him back. I thought "ok maybe they're making a new Diddy Kong Racing", but there's no rumor in sight for that.

Anyways, I'll leave the whole Nintendo has some bias against their western developed characters alone.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
So how on earth did it take until Smash Ultimate to get Lower Norfair/Magmoor into Smash?

It's basically the de-facto lava song for Metroid, and there's an entire lava level...

I think it's the only Samus Returns song in Ultimate, as well?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all...

Just letting you know we're getting a Wave Race assist trophy. It moves across the stage with a trail of water, similar Squirtle, & jumps up and down doing tricks. If a player comes into contact with assist trophy they get damaged
That's so cool! I wanted to talk about Wave Race in Smash (and their other sports franchises), but I keep forgetting.

Do you know anything else?

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot Diddy was in Mario Kart in the first place so I didn't even notice when they took him out

Funky is the greater loss

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Hi all...

Mods! MOOOOOODS

Also, tell me Rhythm Heaven is in IN ANY CAPACITY!

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm really disappointed Captain Toad won't be in too, although I feel like there was at least a sizeable interest for him and regular Toad given the change to Peach's moveset. Here's hoping he's DLC since replacing a stage background should be simple.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
This is just bizarrely paranoid.
If I'm remembering early 2000s gaming magazines correctly, there was no shortage of backlash to Rare's characters like Elvis or Candy Kong or Krystal. I could see NoJ thinking the backlash to those characters was indicative of people's thoughts on most of Rare's original characters.

Excepy Diddy and Cranky Kong apparently.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I could post my grocery list and someone will think it's a leak.

2 pkgs artificial crab meat
1 bunch green onions
can of water chestnuts

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all...

Hey, we have our very own Era Smash Rumor.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all...

Tell us your secrets, stranger. We don't like being teased around these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.