drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm five days into a two week vacation in Tokyo, currently staying in the Shinjuku area. Obviously things could still change, but it's looking like there'll be a hell of a lot of rain over a fairly short period here, but that's about all. Even the trains are currently scheduled to run more or less normally. Still, having lived all my life in an area of the world where the worst possible weather is a fairly placid snow storm, it's kind of surreal to look at the forecast and straight up see the word "typhoon" on there instead of, you know, "cloudy with a possibility of showers" or something. And it'll be followed by 25°C+ heat too, which--if I know anything about how water works, with the evaporation and such--should make Sunday kind of a moist one.

Hopefully folks here on Era and elsewhere make it through alright. I'll do my part and avoid becoming That Stupid Foreigner Who Thought He Knew Better by staying inside for most of tomorrow. As awful as it may be to say this, the TV coverage of this is bound to be fascinating to follow, especially being this close to it.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
First big typhoon in a first floor mansion for me. Fingers crossed we don't get any flooding đź‘€

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm five days into a two week vacation in Tokyo, currently staying in the Shinjuku area. Obviously things could still change, but it's looking like there'll be a hell of a lot of rain over a fairly short period here, but that's about all. Even the trains are currently scheduled to run more or less normally. Still, having lived all my life in an area of the world where the worst possible weather is a fairly placid snow storm, it's kind of surreal to look at the forecast and straight up see the word "typhoon" on there instead of, you know, "cloudy with a possibility of showers" or something. And it'll be followed by 25°C+ heat too, which--if I know anything about how water works, with the evaporation and such--should make Sunday kind of a moist one.

Hopefully folks here on Era and elsewhere make it through alright. I'll do my part and avoid becoming That Stupid Foreigner Who Thought He Knew Better by staying inside for most of tomorrow. As awful as it may be to say this, the TV coverage of this is bound to be fascinating to follow, especially being this close to it.
Just watch the TV and enjoy Japanese news stations' obsessions with showing footage of people embarrassingly struggle with their umbrellas against the wind.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'm supposed to return on Monday from America.. hope this isn't as bad as last months one...

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
S'pose I'll make a quick Don Quixote run before calling it a night to stock up on the essentials (meaning chips, highballs and pepper cheese). I'm not one to buy in into the exaggerated BE PREPARED!!11!!1! scaremongering on tv, but the power situation in Chiba that happened with the last typhoon admittedly did leave me a bit spooked (Yokohama here).

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Holy shit, you guys weren't kidding about everywhere selling out of food. Guess I'll have to find a way to make a couple sliced apples, yogurt and spaghetti last a whole weekend.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm in a hotel in Daimon. I hope that some restaurants are open tomorrow (if it's just heavy rain/wind). Though I do have some cup noodles just in case.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Some pics from earlier today. Took me 40 minutes to check out too.

11legwWl.jpg
xXWAogal.jpg

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
Yeah, I haven't been able to buy any water which sucks.

Guess I'll just fill up my bathtub for the slim chance that the storm will affect water.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Our supermarket was completely cleared out, so glad I went earlier in the day. First time it's been like this, people are spooked.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Our supermarket was completely cleared out, so glad I went earlier in the day. First time it's been like this, people are spooked.
Yeah seems a bit extreme, going by random twitter stock clearing. Guess this is supposed to be more severe than some previous 🤔

EGm-gpKUwAAT3hq

EGmqZP8XkAE13ij

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah seems a bit extreme, going by random twitter stock clearing. Guess this is supposed to be more severe than some previous 🤔

EGm-gpKUwAAT3hq

EGmqZP8XkAE13ij

I just had it in the background but I think on the news they were saying stuff like once in a lifetime kinda big. Removing the sensationalism we can probably expect a bit of a battering!

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just had it in the background but I think on the news they were saying stuff like once in a lifetime kinda big. Removing the sensationalism we can probably expect a bit of a battering!

It's interesting how many once in a lifetime storms or events I've seen in the past 10-15 years. I wonder why that is? Hmmm...

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'm here in Osaka, about to take the subway home. Hopefully it's not too terrible. Say this because I still haven't looked out the window.
Also hope the supermarkets are not empty around here. They shouldn't since we are not getting hit badly like in Tokyo or the Nagoya and Shizuoka area...

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Seems to be some flooding in Shizuoka;

That's about 1 hour away from here, more or less. Over here, rain and wind are pretty tame right now, no issues riding to work. Luckily, winds are coming over the mountains this time, about 2 years ago, a weaker typhoon wrecked our installations pretty badly with winds coming from the coast.

It's expected to last pretty much 1 day here (Fuji), so the evening and Sunday should have cleared up.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Around 190,000 people in the city of Hachioji in Tokyo have been advised to evacuate.

The cities of Odawara, Chigasaki and Sagamihara in Kanagawa Prefecture have issued evacuation advisories to residents of some neighborhoods.

More than 400,000 residents are affected.

Cities in Chiba Prefecture and a town and a village in Yamanashi Prefecture have also issued such advisories.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I am getting conflicting reports. News says it has dropped to a CAT 2 but just got an alert saying its a Level 4. I am not too familiar between the differences of the two.

Oct 30, 2017
Ottawa
My wife just had to take our one month old to the hospital as his fever was getting high. I would've gone with her (believe me, I really wanted to), but I had to stay to look after our two year old.

Talk about terrible timing. I'm in Nakahara-Ku.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Alert level 3 here in Osaka now (basically stay at home, and evacuate older people). Though it's otherwise generally fine (I'm on the train now), it seems like Shizuoka and all that area is, indeed, getting hit big time.

Everyone in Japan stay safe đź––

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
My ward doesn't say anything neither on social networks and it's one of the places where there's a high risk of inundation like Edogawa. Hopefully nothing happens....

CHUNKYBOWSER

Nov 13, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Alert level 3 here in Osaka now (basically stay at home, and evacuate older people). Though it's otherwise generally fine (I'm on the train now), it seems like Shizuoka and all that area is, indeed, getting hit big time.

Everyone in Japan stay safe đź––
It's ridiculous honestly. The over-precaution is unnecessary and will only lead to a boy who cried wolf situation when a serious typhoon hits.

I'm also in Osaka and it's only drizzling rain here. I'm at the barber shop waiting to get my haircut.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty tame here in Tochigi so far. Nothing too bad. When it was raining earlier this morning, I opened my door, and got blasted with rain on my face haha