• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
A successful marketing campaign and the reputation of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt provided the hype necessary for the CD Projekt Red title to break records despite issues including performance problems on consoles, widespread glitches and the indefinite removal of the game from the PlayStation Store. An extremely high share of digital sales (80%) were on PC, likely due to the delisting on PlayStation and overall state of the console versions.

* These estimates do include digital copies that have been refunded, but our data shows that refunds did not substantially affect the game's aggregate sales.

www.superdataresearch.com

January 2021 worldwide digital games market — SuperData, a Nielsen Company

Worldwide digital games earnings rose by 15% year-over-year to reach $11.6B in January 2021. Revenue was up annually across all device types.

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Lmao. People were saying it was a failure in those refund threads.

It's a shame that CDPR lied about the state of the game.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Insane what they were able to do essentially off the goodwill the Witcher 3 generated for them. Instantly gained them cult like loyalty for completely unproven game. Sad that people will never learn how to temper their hype.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So the moral of the story is to lie and cheat and treat people like trash

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have numbers on # of returns? It's disheartening to see CDPR get away with this. I'm sure it can be and probably is a good game, but between all the non-gameplay issues and then adding the game performance issues, it's sad to see their execs make so much $ of deceptive marketing, and bad work conditions.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Impressive - i feel this game is gonna have crazy legs especially on PC and once the next-gen patches arrive.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Going to buy it as soon as they releasae the next gen update. They'll probably fix the majority of issues or at least the fundamental ones by then.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Undeserved.

Biggest let down in gaming history?
I'd give a slight edge to Colonial Marines. Cyberpunk bugs will get fixed eventually. Gearbox did just as bad in terms of false marketing only they didn't give a shit about fixing the game ever after release, but they made sure to release that DLC though *sigh*

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good game even with the issues it has, everyone I know who's playing it loves it and is recommending it to other people, not surprised.

Edit: I'm talking about people who don't necessarily follow gaming news that much or all the controversies sorrounding CP. That's why I'm saying this doesn't surprise me.

Last edited:

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
giphy.gif

all the wrong lessons will be learned from this fiasco. Suits patting each other on the back, management continuing to embrace crunch, 'cdpr magic' etc...

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Really conflicted on this. The game is good, but the management is gonna look at this and be like "See? Nobody cares about all the shitty stuff we did!" and continue to pull shit. Fuck CDPR management. All of them can go to hell.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
on one hand i'm happy a cyberpunk project is a huge financial success which almost never happens. on the other hand if the game keeps selling like this cdpr really has no reason to fix the game and they will just do the same again with the witcher 4

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Really conflicted on this. The game is good, but the management is gonna look at this and be like "See? Nobody cares about all the shitty stuff we did!" and continue to pull shit. Fuck CDPR management. All of them can go to hell.
They've also seen the refunds, they've been dragged in social media, they did lose the trust of many people (not all obviously, but nobody ever does). So I doubt they think all is fine, they lost a lot of sales after the release when the faults came apparent and the shitstorm began. Simply being pulled from PSN lost them a truckload of money. They didn't get away without consequences just because the lights are still on.

Last edited:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I gave it a shot. In my 30-35 hours of play I had tons of crashes and bugs. As someone who put up with Skyrim on the PS3, I just couldn't do it again >_<

I had a lot more luck with Skyrim than Fallout 3 on PS3, so buggy. I actually managed to have less bugs in New Vegas than Fallout 3, even.

Well, until my save eventually got too big...

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Tragic. This would only encourage companies to hype up a broken product with non-existent features and reap the benefits on the release day. Lying pays off, apparently.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I gave it a shot. In my 30-35 hours of play I had tons of crashes and bugs. As someone who put up with Skyrim on the PS3, I just couldn't do it again >_<

I totally get that, I only had like 2 crashes in 100 hours of playtime and some funny bugs but nothing that breaks the game, on PC. I watched a friend playing it and she did have constant crashes and bugs, seemed like a different game to what I was playing.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda insane how CD Projekt used the huge success of Witcher to lie about everything Cyberpunk and lure tons of people to pre-order their unfinished product. Heck, even this forum choose Cyberpunk 2077 as most anticipated 2020 game based on all fake pre-release videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.