• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
ERA continues to be a site that is out of touch due to an overwhelmingly North American outlook.

PSNow has consistently been supported for a good few years now. It's aimed at the very casual gamers who don't frequent forums like this. It's reach will likely expand now a download option has been added.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ERA continues to be a site that is out of touch due to an overwhelmingly North American outlook.

PSNow has consistently been supported for a good few years now. It's aimed at the very casual gamers who don't frequent forums like this. It's reach will likely expand now a download option has been added.
Lmao what
Have you actually checked the availability of PS Now? Because it simply doesn't exist in most countries.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Personally speaking subscriptions save me money. I used to buy Fifa for 20-30 € every year now with origin subscription it costs 25 AND a get other games to dabble in.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Amazing, Id rather believe this then some random forum member complaining about psnow and claiming no one uses it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing, Id rather believe this then some random forum member complaining about psnow and claiming no one uses it.
Yeah, it's kinda funny when you think about it.

Sony was way ahead of the game starting with PS Plus IGC. Then PSNow.

They knew what they were doing, been building the foundation since last gen.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
To much salty gamers here I don't know if that chart is true but I'm sure that is somewhat successful on sony side because the service is old now and is still running

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can vouch that PS+ has made me spend more money due to the discounts it provides. Just the other day I got the Tomb Raider quadrilogy (1 through The Last Revelation) to play on the Vita since the price for each game for PS+ was like 89 cents.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard that people who buy a game console spend more money on console games than people who don't buy a console

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's impressive, specially considering that streaming isn't that widespread. I just see Sony pushing the service harder next Gen.

Also I'm surprised that EA services are bigger on pc than Xbox They should release Premium on Xbox too.

It's not at all when you consider the price and the amount of games it comes with. The Xbox offering is barebones in comparison.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Subscription services just drain you of money in the long run. I've saved more just buying things on sale. Games Pass was a decent deal at $5/month, though.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Well Superdata has been acquired by the Nielsen group, which is pretty well regarding with this sort of analytics and data, so I doubt it's just pie in the sky figures.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
The thread title is really burying the lede. People being subscribed to game services spending more on games in total than non-subscribers isn't really surprising or all that interesting. The relative marketshare of these subscription services, on the other hand, is quite interesting.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Do people in here not get how polls and surveys work?

Why is extrapolating from a sample suddenly a completely stupid idea and no longer acceptable?

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Wait Xbox game pass only made $40 million in that quarter ? That's only just over a million subscribers...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
No psnow here in bumfuck nowhere Australia. Don't think it'd work great on dial up anyways.

Their cloud gaming division just opened an office in Adelaide, so I think it'll be coming there at some point in the not too distant future.

Sony seems to be hiring a lot into that division in general lately. Definitely seem to be gearing up for a push as we go into next gen.

The revenue share numbers are kind of surprising. That would suggest maybe 2m or so Now subscribers? It's still small in the general scheme of things, but more than I thought.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Their cloud gaming division just opened an office in Adelaide, so I think it'll be coming there at some point in the not too distant future.

Sony seems to be hiring a lot into that division in general lately. Definitely seem to be gearing up for a push as we go into next gen.

The revenue share numbers are kind of surprising. That would suggest maybe 2m or so Now subscribers? It's still small in the general scheme of things, but more than I thought.
Yes, we have to remember that PS Now was streaming-only for the vast majority of Q3.

So 2m subscribing to a streaming-only service (which is basically broken as far as my experience in the UK is concerned!) is really quite shocking. It might give us more of an insight in to why so many companies are pushing towards that direction right now.

It's a shame we can't see this split in to PS4 and PC players - obviously PS Now is the only way to play games like TLoU, Uncharted and Bloodborne on PC - so that might be a much bigger deal than we realise.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I buy the majority of games I want to play day one and even though I not a massive EA fan I have EA Premier mainly so my Nephew can play newer games. There are other titles I will play when I have free time.

The vast majority of gamers will only buy a few games a year and why F2P is successful. As someone of buys and plays a number of games subscriptions can well worth the money. But it's going to get expensive in the long run IMO will every body wanting a slice of the pie.

I pay a fortune for Sky in the UK as I am a sports fan, stuff like Amazon Prime/Netflix has no interest whatsoever for me as I struggle to keep up with TV shows as is it, yet alone games.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I think a thread dedicated solely tot the revenue chart was warranted, it is the only reason I have visited this one. A title like that just doesn't fit the contents.

Either way, what kind of sub numbers can we conjure from this chart?
1.88m PS Now, 0.52m GP? (assuming the average sub pays $25/quarter)
$25/quarter? PS Now cost $20 a month.

Oct 28, 2017
PS Now being successful makes me happy. It's a much better service than it's given credit for and has completely sold me on the streaming future.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I would agree on that. I have so many subscriptions : Netflix, Amazon Prime, Gamepass, EA Access, Google Music, Audible... But I still buy games pretty often.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Why is extrapolating from a sample suddenly a completely stupid idea and no longer acceptable?

I can take a guess why, lol.

I do want to see EAAccess on PS4 and PS5. It came in handy not having to buy all those available games separately when we first got the One S.

I don't mind streaming, I just don't use it. As long as it doesn't try to replace local gaming, I'm fine.

But...I also remember saying I wasn't going digital anytime soon. Sales and deals changed that quick.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
PS Now being successful makes me happy. It's a much better service than it's given credit for and has completely sold me on the streaming future.

I agree. I've been a subscriber for almost three years, and I'm quite satisfied.

I understand why some people are skeptical, but it might be time for some of the skeptics to give it another look. They've done a lot to build up the service. The game catalog has grown greatly, the streaming quality has improved, and the addition of downloads is another great step forward.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is so confusing to me. Why would I ever spend money on extra content for a game I don't own? Why do people do this? They're literally getting double-suckered.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
In a subscription based future I'll probably treat it like I've been for my PS+ and FFXIV subscriptions- buy it for a month if there's something to play, let it expire when there isn't.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
This is so confusing to me. Why would I ever spend money on extra content for a game I don't own? Why do people do this? They're literally getting double-suckered.

For some people (and even for me sometimes) it really doesn't matter that they don't own the game.

Realistically most people will play a game for max a year or two then move on to the next game. Most people don't go back to old games, especially when those old games are multiplayer games that the community/their friends have moved on from.

Oct 27, 2017
All anyone actually "owns" is a license to use the software, whether you have a physical medium that makes it easy for you to resell that license, or not.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
It's shocking that people here are surprised about PS Now numbers. I'm hearing alot of "no one ever talks about it" lol...like who says "hey I am playing games on PS Now" in public or something.

Anyway, it's an amazing service, it's been around the longest especially on PC, and it has a wide variety of games to play, especially if you love JRPGs. The fact that it work on PS3, PS4, and PC equally (unlike GamePass) and even with some Sony TV...all you need is a Playstation controller, and on PC you can use any controller.

It really is so much better than GamePass, which requires owning an XB1. And with EA, Access doesn't draw as well as on PC, since Madden just relaunched and Battlefield V/Anthem aren't out yet.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017

I can take a guess why, lol.

I do want to see EAAccess on PS4 and PS5. It came in handy not having to buy all those available games separately when we first got the One S.

I don't mind streaming, I just don't use it. As long as it doesn't try to replace local gaming, I'm fine.

But...I also remember saying I wasn't going digital anytime soon. Sales and deals changed that quick.

Unfortunate that we can't call a spade a spade lol.

LOL of course you can...people who are passionate about <fill in hobby> believe that they are the majority and that they are on the ground level, that they can read the tea leaves. It's the reason why a majority of people here thought the Switch would flop, or don't understand why people buy Madden, or don't understand why buying a $5 lootbox is a nothing-burger for most people. Or why people won't invest $300-$500 in VR solely based on word of mouth, without playing it for themselves first.

For example...you have people keep saying "But PS Now isn't available in some countries" when it is obvious that the total amount of PS3s, PS4s (which has a commanding sales lead over the XB1), PCs, and Sony TVs/devices in those countries would still blow away the total number of Xbox Ones in the world. But, some people can't bring themselves to say that, because the Xbox One is alot more popular here than it is amongst the general gaming community.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The fact that it work on PS3, PS4, and PC equally (unlike GamePass) and even with some Sony TV...all you need is a Playstation controller, and on PC you can use any controller.

I think PS Now is a great service (see post #129 above), but what you said here is out of date.

At this time, PS Now can only be accessed on PS4 or PC. Since August 2017, Sony terminated PS Now access from other devices such as PS3, PS Vita, PSTV, and some smart TVs and Blu-ray players. It's sad that this occurred, but we can hope that the service continues to succeed, and they might then expand the service to other devices again.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I think PS Now is a great service (see post #129 above), but what you said here is out of date.

At this time, PS Now can only be accessed on PS4 or PC. Since August 2017, Sony terminated PS Now access from other devices such as PS3, PS Vita, PSTV, and some smart TVs and Blu-ray players. It's sad that this occurred, but we can hope that the service continues to succeed, and they might then expand the service to other devices again.

Ah, I didn't know about that, but in any case, it was still a great way to get a large number of people to know about the service immediately.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Phil Spencer announced at X018 that there are now "millions of Game Pass subscribers".

So bring plural that's at least.. 2 million?

That is much higher than these Superdata research estimates would suggest.

So either:

1) The estimates are more than a little out
2) Phil is outright lying
3) Game Pass has had a huge increase in subscribers since Q3 (thanks to FH4)
4) It's all just free trials!

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
That's definitely interesting. I was wondering how that would work out for something like Origin Access Premier, as I cancelled my BFV pre-order knowing that I'd get it for just $15 a month instead, and do the same for Anthem as well.

What about all the people that would have potentially spent $60 on Sea of Thieves, but didn't due to getting it free for 14 days or whatever through that Game Pass trial? I see a lot of people using these subscriptions as a means of demoing games for free or cheap.

Also interesting that PS Now has such a large cut. I didn't realize people actually used that service. Microsoft could have charged for their Xbox 360 / Original Xbox emulator too. I wonder if they're regretting not doing that.

Your worry about whether people only subbing month by month would cause less revenue overall is misguided.

Im sure there are some savvy gamers who save some money that way. But consider that Microsoft and others have been luring customers with free trials and low first-month trials for a long time. If they didn't work, they would drop them.

It doesn't matter if some people drop the subscriptions, as long as subscribers continue to grow at a healthy pace.

Also, you are forgetting that more people playing, means more word of mouth, more hype, more excitement, more streamers. This is likely why day 1 Gamepass games have had impressively healthy retail sales.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Phil Spencer announced at X018 that there are now "millions of Game Pass subscribers".

So bring plural that's at least.. 2 million?

That is much higher than these Superdata research estimates would suggest.

So either:

1) The estimates are more than a little out
2) Phil is outright lying
3) Game Pass has had a huge increase in subscribers since Q3 (thanks to FH4)
4) It's all just free trials!

Again, you cannot extrapolate total subscribers out of this research data, this is data pool from SuperData millions of users that were surveyed and then used to obtain these results. There are no lies in these estimates or Phil because it's based on the data they could obtain and not the whole Services userbase.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
These results are really surprising to me. Even outside the bubble of this site, neither PS Now nor game streaming have seemed particularly successful. It just isn't something that's talked about at all. Gamepass is talked about a lot, by MS themselves, by YouTubers, by big media sites, etc. It is always in the limelight whenever the discussion shifts to Xbox One.

PS Now you just never really hear about. No one really seems to talk much about it. Sony themselves rarely if ever mention the service, and certainly not during big events like E3 or PSX. Sony have also downscaled the service since it's launch, removing it from various devices. All of this seems strange for a service that is supposedly a breakout hit that eclipses all other subscription services in gaming by such a massive margin. This is what I think has lead to the confusion over these results.

Moreover, PS Now being a streaming service first and foremost also makes this really surprising, and means that this is the first time a game streaming service has actually been a major success, which again makes it all the more bizarre that Sony would seemingly ignore it in terms of marketing. Streaming, at least in my experience, has never worked well for games. I've tried everything from PS Now to Onlive, to the new Google Streaming service, and all of them suffered terrible lag and compression on my otherwise decent internet. I know I can't be alone in this, and I also know PS Now's availability worldwide is fairly limited, which again just makes all of this all the more surprising. If they truly do have a hit on their hands with PS Now, I don't understand Sony's reluctance to push the service.

Last edited:

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how that split would look like if Nintendo had their own streaming service... One day maybe?