• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
We aren't really sure. Around January of last year, the author said it was ending, but this was prior to DS boom in popularity ; since then she has gone radio silent on whether this really is the final arc.
Demon Slayer is literally in the middle of the final battle right now. It's ending soon for sure.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We aren't sure. Around January of last year, the author said it was ending, but this was before DS boom in popularity; since then she has gone radio silent on whether this is the final arc.
A Jump issue from a month ago reiterated we were at the end. Then a color page saying "Final Battle" was made for a recent chapter. The popularity boost has not affected the commitment to end in any clear way.
The manga, and franchise overall, will keep selling and making money after it ends anyway.

KendoClub

Oct 27, 2017
A Jump issue from a month ago reiterated we were at the end. Then a color page saying "Final Battle" was made for a recent chapter. The popularity boost has not affected the commitment to end in any clear way.
The manga, and franchise overall, will keep selling and making money after it ends anyway.
Cool, thanks, im a couple chapters behind, so I wasn't aware.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I misspoke. I meant that the record will get surpassed, and then some. I could possibly see KnY hitting 60 million this year. Maybe, possibly.
I don't think so. Most of this surge is backlog sales for all 19 existing volumes. That can't continue indefinitely, and it can't keep happening forever either. It's why I don't actually see the movie having that big of an impact at this point, because it'll likely be saturated by that point

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
imo demon slayer last arc there's a drop of quality and i think its not as good as before, but its ending so i will finish it reading. got a little interested in the spy manga he talked about

Spy x Family is amazing and it stinks that it's not a weekly series :( Seriously such a great series that everyone needs to check out!

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
I don't think so. Most of this surge is backlog sales for all 19 existing volumes. That can't continue indefinitely, and it can't keep happening forever either. It's why I don't actually see the movie having that big of an impact at this point, because it'll likely be saturated by that point
It's showing no signs of slowing down, though.

Once it slows down you can argue that, but Jump is purposely under-printing volumes, to enhance demand. So far it's working.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I love My Hero, Demon Slayer, Promised Neverland, Dr Stone so this stuff pleases me. I can't believe Demon Slayer and Neverland are ending. Please don't end My Hero :(

I can't wait to read Spy X Family and Chainsaw Man.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Chainsawman and Jujutsu Kaisen are the next big thing. Chainsawman especially is my favourite manga running right now.

It has all the things I liked about fire punch and switches or tones down the things I didn't like with more shonen-esque themes. So it's pretty much perfect.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Might be a hot take, but I like that series can end. Respect to some of these series for going out at the top of their game. I am curious to see what the future of Jump holds, and what new series come from its creators.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Agravity Boys is my favorite.
The 1st chapter is bad, but then the rest is just dumb fun.
The boys are all super fun and endearing.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Promised Neverland went bat shit insane in terms of direction and I use that term in the pejorative sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Jumps current fresh blood situation is quite bad, at the moment 4 of it's non-new series are wrapping up and should be done within 6 months (We Never Learn within this month, Demon Slayer, Haiykuu and Neverland anywhere from 2 to 6 months depending on how they want to play it). Of it's current new series here is the knowledge we have:
Samurai 8: Sales of the vol are pitiful, always in the bottom 3 of weekly rankings of ToC (yes, ToC is not a good standard on its own, but generally paints a simliar picture when bundled with sales data)
Yozakura-san: Vol 1 failed to chart in top 50 in first and 2nd weeks of sales, estimated by Shoseki* (French blogger who extensibility covers oricon weekly sales, these are the best "data" we have for anything that fails to make top 50) to sell 11K first week and another 2.5K the 2nd week (so better then Samurai 8's sales of it's first vol at least). Generally been stuck in the bottom 4 of the ToC.
Mitama Security: Vol 1 failed to chart in top 50 in first and 2nd weeks of sales, estimated by Shoseki to have sold 5K in it's first week and didn't bother giving a number for the 2nd week. Generally been found towards the middle to the bottom middle of the pack in ToC, while it being a gag manga should give it some more leeway when it comes to sales...I don't think even a gag manga can survive on those supposed sales.
Zipman!: No Vols have been released yet. ToC info is....bad, already has begun to claim the last place spot that was held by Samurai 8 the past month.
Agravity Boys: Either 2 or 3 weeks worth of ToC info (still can never remember how double issues mess with it) has shown it already stuck in the bottom half and trending into the bottom 5 rankings.
The rest of the newcomers are way too early to even have data on....though I can't see 2 of those 3 (the knight and witch one maybe depending on its direction, if it can capture the adventure shounen audience well) surviving past a year in the magazine. Jump doesn't need a newcommer that is a hit out of the gates like Neverland was, but it needs a few series that aren't dead on arrival.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I fear Demon Slayer's future tbh. Not because I would dislike it continuing myself, but I feel like the manga-ka is going to get coerced into continuing the series. Muzan doesn't HAVE to be the finale villain afterall. They could explore the history of demonkind and the Demon Slayer Corps and all of that neat stuff.

Of course I'm not caught up so maybe they already have. XD

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
Jump seems to be giving Yozakura Family and Miitama Security some leeway, as they recently got color pages. That tends to be an indicator of what they want to stick around.
Undead X Unluck might be sticking around. An official Twitter page was opened, and it mentioned that fan demand has resulted in the first volume rushing out the door in April.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It would've been the 3rd week for Agravity Boys, but it's hard to say how it ranks overall, since there are 3 unranked series in Guardian of the Witch, Mashle Magic and Muscles, and Undead Unluck. Then there were color pages for things like Mitama Secutity Spirit Busters and Mission Yozakura Family. It is a rung above the lowest crop though, typically hanging around Act Age and Jujutsu Taisen.

Mitama Security Spirit Busters volume sales are bad, but it seems to be doing well in the magazine itself, usually in the top 10. It even got 2 chapters (as well as a color page) this week. It is a gag series, so it'll probably be around for that alone.

Undead Unluck is early on and unranked, but it seems to be blowing up as well. It got its first volume solicited super fast. Would not be surprised to see this in the top 10 when it is ranked.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not because I would dislike it continuing myself, but I feel like the manga-ka is going to get coerced into continuing the series.
I understand it's different people doing it so I don't blame any individual but, just from my perspective cause I keep up with it, it's become tiring to see the same "would Demon Slayer actually end tho?" knowing that they've kept reiterating it will lol. And also Jump generally doesn't demand authors stretch their successful series anymore apparently.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry guys, Kubo is coming back to save Jump.
He's going to do what Kishimoto is unable to do with Samurai 8.
Honestly, assuming that Kubo's writing has not improved over the years, his new work can easily flop like Samurai 8.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Prediction:
No One Piece volume will be in the 2020 yearly top 20 best-selling volume as estimated by Oricon

Or, another way to put it would be to say that every single Demon Slayer volume (volume 1 to 20) will sell more in 2020 (Nov 2019 to Nov 2020) that any OP volume.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Prediction:
No One Piece volume will be in the 2020 yearly top 20 best-selling volume as estimated by Oricon

Or, another way to put it would be to say that every single Demon Slayer volume (volume 1 to 20) will sell more in 2020 (Nov 2019 to Nov 2020) that any OP volume.
With the sales of the latest two DS volumes + the backlog + movie, I can see it.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Might be a hot take, but I like that series can end. Respect to some of these series for going out at the top of their game. I am curious to see what the future of Jump holds, and what new series come from its creators.
Where I'm at. I had literally 0 interest in the Demon Slayer manga even after watching the amazing anime because... man, I've been too burned by a lifetime of reading shonen battle manga that take years to resolve a single arc. I just want stories to end these days and get what they want to say, said and done. OP might be the exception but that's because it focuses heavily on building a colossal world. Anyways, when I found out DS was ending I went 100% on board because now I can feel invested in these characters and world without knowing in the back of my mind it won't really go anywhere, or if it does it will take until I'm in an old age home.
Life is simply too short for long running shonen these days, for me at least.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
With the sales of the latest two DS volumes + the backlog + movie, I can see it.
To put my prediction into perspective.
OP volume 95 is very likely to be the best selling volume of the year. It's tracking significantly behind the first volume of 2019, vol 91 which did 2.4m, and similarly to volume 92 which came out in March and did 2.1m. As such I believe it could reach 2.2m in 2020, since it came out in late December.

Right now, the best selling backlog volume of DS is volume 1 which sold 1.24m. The worst selling backlog volume is volume 17 which sold 1.15m. They basically need to sell around 1m more each to achieve that. Meaning they are already more than halfway there.
Volume 20 is not scheduled yet, so it won't come out in March or April. So May sounds fair (it looks like they are trying to slow down the volume release more than they need to). A 3 month gap would put volume 21 in August and Volume 22 in November.
Volume 17 came out in October and has sold a bit under 2.1m in 4 months. So I don't quite think an August volume 21 could beat OP volume 95, meaning DS will "only" get a top 20 instead of a top 21.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I do think that Kimetsu ending isn't a terrible thing, better to go out on top and to make things sharp and exciting without drawing it all out as long as possible. My only disappointment is that I thought we'd get an arc with each member of the pillars, which is kind of how things started out. A whole arc teaming up with Iguro or Himejima would have been sick.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always shocked when I see people praising Chainsaw Man, because when I read the first 5-10 chapters as they were coming out... like, man, I was shocked by how bad they were. Art, characters, world, dialogue, it was shockingly bad. "How did this get published?" levels of bad. Does it get better, or do I just have bad taste?

I dropped it over the MC's dream of titties. There's a lot of things to read and watch these days, so I'd rather not spend time on junk like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Prediction:

The recent flashback arc in One Piece has been next level, though...I'd actually be surprised if One Piece volumes didn't blow up even bigger this year.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
The recent flashback arc in One Piece has been next level, though...I'd actually be surprised if One Piece volumes didn't blow up even bigger this year.
Sales =/= Quality

An above average arc is not what drives sales. Movies, promo, anime adaptations are. And I don't think anyone considers volume 66-67 (the fastest selling OP volumes, that cover the end of Fishman Island/The beginning of Punk Hazard) as the best OP volumes quality-wise.
One Piece has been declining in terms of sales since its peak in 2011.
The only thing that has managed to slow that down are the movies (Z, Gold, Stampede). But as seen with Stampede, that only lasts for a single volume (Volume 93 came out alongside Stampede and outsold volume 92 in a shorter time span. Yet, volume 94, and then 95, kept the downward trend that 92 had, as if 93/Stampede never happened).

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
While Tanjiro's story might end in DS, I wouldn't be surprised to see more stories in that world.