• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Just an incredible end of stream, I had to keep dashing in and out of it because I just want to play it so badly! Hope we can all get in the tech test! Jen Zee's art is so insanely brilliant, this studio's gameplay is unmatched, and it just looks like the best time. Can not wait!

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Let's be real, they're all hot
Even Hestia's hot and she's just a placeholder!

One of the things I find most interesting in what I've watched so far of the stream is the fact that there's very clearly an alternate route at the start that's blocked off. Judging by what they've shown of the story

I'm guessing that after we clear the Underworld route we might be heading up to Olympus. In which case this game might have double the maps as the previous game if there's 3 for each route. Which, yeah, big assumptions there but it would be pretty neat

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sadly, my puppy is one day into her spaying, so I dunno if I'll be able to stream my own play on Twitch today. Still, there's no embargo for folks who've gotten in a bit early. Thus, I can report some good news:

View: https://imgur.com/a/pggLaJB

...so far it works great on Steam Deck. I'll update with a URL if I stream later today or tomorrow.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Just played the tech test.

Yeah that's hades with cool new color.

Looking forward to the full EA release and checking out the stream in the meantime.

Shad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Zag shows up sooner than later, but the real question is where is Than? :(

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i just randomly applied to the technical test and got an invite, played and 100%d the game on xbox but never on pc. so if you wanna check it may as well hit the button

store.steampowered.com

Hades II on Steam

Battle beyond the Underworld using dark sorcery to take on the Titan of Time in this bewitching sequel to the award-winning rogue-like dungeon crawler.

i like the game but honestly not that interested in playing early versions of a sequel, i'll check it out just to see if it runs and stuff and then probably uninstall

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! I had no clue they were doing this. Hades got me into the genre and lead me to my favorite PS5 game Returnal. This game is a no brainer for me when it comes to console.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
Super excited to see this, though given how I burned out on BG3 early access, I'll happily wait until full release. Exciting times.

Can't wait to drop $100 on the vinyl in 3 years.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
Hades is one of those rare games that I loved at the time but I only think even MORE highly of in retrospect. Definitely a GOAT-tier game.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
God damn It, I defeated the boss 5 times and locked me out of the game.

That went completely over my head as I was just playing like a maniac

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
i havent played yet Hades 1, i want to play it on xbox or in playstation, anybody here 100% completed the game? i like to get the 100% achievements or platinum of the games, is pretty difficult?

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
God damn It, I defeated the boss 5 times and locked me out of the game.

That went completely over my head as I was just playing like a maniac
Sorry this happened to you, but I was wondering about that when I beat the boss lol

So thanks for being the guinea pig, your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Unfolded

Jun 27, 2023
played the beta, its play almost as the same as hades 1, the "town" is kinda bigger compared to hades 1.

if people liked the first one, will like this one too.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
Sadly, my puppy is one day into her spaying, so I dunno if I'll be able to stream my own play on Twitch today. Still, there's no embargo for folks who've gotten in a bit early. Thus, I can report some good news:

...so far it works great on Steam Deck. I'll update with a URL if I stream later today or tomorrow.

Wish the text displayed better. Something that was a pain in the first one, too (at least on switch, where I played it). Wondering if that's a feasible change or not. I imagine if it were they might have done it already

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Awesome, that's great to know! Glad you got in, def interested to know what you think!

Now I just need an email 😭 at least early access doesn't seem too far away.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Wish the text displayed better. Something that was a pain in the first one, too (at least on switch, where I played it). Wondering if that's a feasible change or not. I imagine if it were they might have done it already

There's text scaling in menus but I haven't played with setting to see how much it impacts UI.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I generally hate rogue types or whatever the hell they are called but I adored the first game. I can't wait for the full release. I'll be there with bells on.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
What the heck is the criteria for the emails? Random selection? How soon you signed up.

Seeing comments like "I haven't even played the first one and I got an email" is making my eye twitch.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
i havent played yet Hades 1, i want to play it on xbox or in playstation, anybody here 100% completed the game? i like to get the 100% achievements or platinum of the games, is pretty difficult?
It's not really hard, but a couple trophies are a huge grind/time sink. Think it took me about 90+ hours. But I enjoyed the game enough that I didn't mind (and I had already played it about 40 hours on Switch before it came to PS5).

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Right, I get why they did it for the first game, but then they made the game. My question is why they need early access again for a sequel that looks like it very much builds off the first game, it doesn't seem like a d drastic departure (but I don't know).

I feel a similar way about the Rogue Prince of Persia, which coming from the developers of Dead Cells wouldn't need early access again as they've already learnt so much the first time around.

I'm not saying the devs shouldn't be doing this by the way, I want these games to be as great as can be, I'm just curious as to why.

They can and will certainly take everything they've learned from Hades 1. But they aren't making the same game twice. This may have similar structure to the first Hades, but there will surely be new weapons, new boons, and new interactions between the two. (Edit after watching some of the stream: not only that but the level up systems within your base are completely different, so that's another interaction between different gameplay elements.) And they want a community of players to get their feedback on these interactions - this could be done with regular play testing, but they prefer the feedback loop of early access, so they're going for that instead.

Early access is not just something for inexperienced beginners, it is a game development tool just like anything else.

Last edited:

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
That was a great stream, game is looking better than the first in terms of gameplay already in my eyes. The fact that they went with a caster/channeling weapon as the default is already a big improvement over the sword from the first. I prefer going ranged in isometric games like this over melee but the truth is, I never gelled with any of the weapons in the first game except for the Beyblades.

Weapons this time also seem to have 2 distinct attacks tied to each attack button on press and hold which should help expand the variety and variation of boons which was lacking in the first game.

Also, I wasn't expecting to find out that Greek gods gave birth to turnip babies....

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
That was a great stream, game is looking better than the first in terms of gameplay already in my eyes. The fact that they went with a caster/channeling weapon as the default is already a big improvement over the sword from the first. I prefer going ranged in isometric games like this over melee but the truth is, I never gelled with any of the weapons in the first game except for the Beyblades.

Weapons this time also seem to have 2 distinct attacks tied to each attack button on press and hold which should help expand the variety and variation of boons which was lacking in the first game.

Also, I wasn't expecting to find out that Greek gods gave birth to turnip babies....
The what?

Also "variety and variation of boons which was lacking in the first game."

I get that this seem greatly expanded, but you're still talking about a game that hand hundreds of boon combinations. You make it seem like it was a few dozen. Plus the weapons themselves were pretty distinct and all worked differently with those weapons. One Poseidon attack on any of the swords combined with any of the specials would get you anything. Hell, some of the new attacks are abilities from weapon aspects done differently.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
They can and will certainly take everything they've learned from Hades 1. But they aren't making the same game twice. This may have similar structure to the first Hades, but there will surely be new weapons, new boons, and new interactions between the two. (Edit after watching some of the stream: not only that but the level up systems within your base are completely different, so that's another interaction between different gameplay elements.) And they want a community of players to get their feedback on these interactions - this could be done with regular play testing, but they prefer the feedback loop of early access, so they're going for that instead.

Early access is not just something for inexperienced beginners, it is a game development tool just like anything else.
Yup, you gain so much invaluable data and feedback from early access.

kmadison

Feb 8, 2024
I played Bastion close to its release and loved it. Pyre is amazing. And Hades is in my all time top 10. For some reason, I've skipped over Transistor, even though I know I will like it... it time to jump in! The bits of the preview I saw of Hades II are amazing. The voicework, sprite art, and music of SG is such a massive advantage over what other companies do.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to catching up on the stream! The character portraits -- both old and new -- are insane. The original portraits were perfect, and yet somehow Jen Zee outdid herself. everyone is so beautiful my god

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bit of an outlier so far in that I actually think most of these portraits are a bit of a downgrade. The character designs and the art quality itself are still top shelf, but Hades 1 felt like it had very expressive and varied posing and angles for all their characters that really informed a lot about their personalities. Here most of them I've seen so far are just basically standing in the same 3/4 angle with fairly basic posture which feels rather samey. These three characters all have the exact same pose.

spoiler-all-new-portraits-from-todays-livestream-v0-2o0qp1r2i3vc1.png
spoiler-all-new-portraits-from-todays-livestream-v0-uidcxp54i3vc1.png
spoiler-all-new-portraits-from-todays-livestream-v0-bxqb9s54i3vc1.png

Might sound kinda nitpicky but I think Hades 1 was exceptional in making portraits feel more expressive and bespoke between just about all the characters where I'm seeing a bit less of that so far. Comparing the Artemis portraits between both games for example, the new one looks kinda boring compared to the original. I hope that's something they improve for the full release.