• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played Bastion close to its release and loved it. Pyre is amazing. And Hades is in my all time top 10. For some reason, I've skipped over Transistor, even though I know I will like it... it time to jump in! The bits of the preview I saw of Hades II are amazing. The voicework, sprite art, and music of SG is such a massive advantage over what other companies do.

I'm so happy when people acknowledge Pyre. I thought it was such a good game with some great characters and the end song almost gets me to tear up each time I hear it.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Demeter putting on her war outfit in Hades 2 like:

latest

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Bit of an outlier so far in that I actually think most of these portraits are a bit of a downgrade. The character designs and the art quality itself are still top shelf, but Hades 1 felt like it had very expressive and varied posing and angles for all their characters that really informed a lot about their personalities. Here most of them I've seen so far are just basically standing in the same 3/4 angle with fairly basic posture which feels rather samey. These three characters all have the exact same pose.

spoiler-all-new-portraits-from-todays-livestream-v0-2o0qp1r2i3vc1.png
spoiler-all-new-portraits-from-todays-livestream-v0-uidcxp54i3vc1.png
spoiler-all-new-portraits-from-todays-livestream-v0-bxqb9s54i3vc1.png

Might sound kinda nitpicky but I think Hades 1 was exceptional in making portraits feel more expressive and bespoke between just about all the characters where I'm seeing a bit less of that so far. Comparing the Artemis portraits between both games for example, the new one looks kinda boring compared to the original. I hope that's something they improve for the full release.
Agree with all of this, the portraits I've seen have a pretty generic feeling to them compared to the dynamic poses of the original which were full of personality.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
i havent played yet Hades 1, i want to play it on xbox or in playstation, anybody here 100% completed the game? i like to get the 100% achievements or platinum of the games, is pretty difficult?

Not hard at all! Took me about 80 hours to 100% and it was great! You will do a LOT of runs to unlock certain boons so be prepared for that.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bit of an outlier so far in that I actually think most of these portraits are a bit of a downgrade. The character designs and the art quality itself are still top shelf, but Hades 1 felt like it had very expressive and varied posing and angles for all their characters that really informed a lot about their personalities. Here most of them I've seen so far are just basically standing in the same 3/4 angle with fairly basic posture which feels rather samey. These three characters all have the exact same pose.

Might sound kinda nitpicky but I think Hades 1 was exceptional in making portraits feel more expressive and bespoke between just about all the characters where I'm seeing a bit less of that so far. Comparing the Artemis portraits between both games for example, the new one looks kinda boring compared to the original. I hope that's something they improve for the full release.

To each their own, but from the looks of the game from the stream it's a darker vibe that they're going for. Melinoe's family is missing, she's a witch, the stakes are higher, etc. I think the less expressive portraits of some of the characters are fitting. Demeter looks better in 2 than she did in 1.

Also, some of the gods like Aphrodite and Poseidon got big upgrades with their portraits IMO. Both of which are equally as expressive as their portraits in the first game.

View: https://twitter.com/sophkat7/status/1780660730016014698

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
Not feeling the new portraits. Poseidon looks like your neighbor who stopped mowing the lawn to come over and chat, and Aphrodite looks more domineering than flirtatious. They're more downgrades than upgrades for me, but I do like Demeter a lot.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Not feeling the new portraits. Poseidon looks like your neighbor who stopped mowing the lawn to come over and chat, and Aphrodite looks more domineering than flirtatious. They're more downgrades than upgrades for me, but I do like Demeter a lot.

Same here. I mean, they're okay. But the ones in the first game were fantastic. So expressive and gorgeous. The new ones are rather dull, by comparison.

The game's still an insta-buy, but I'm disappointed.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I love the new portraits. Even Artemis is growing on me given her seemingly more immediately friendly relationship with Mel. I did like the dynamic poses from the first game, but there's something to be said for the consistency the new portraits offer.

My favorite thus far is Aphrodite. No, not because she's naked, but because of her face:

6lBJcZd.jpg

It's one thing to make the goddess of love and beauty look pretty. It's another to make her look convincingly gorgeous in an almost otherwordly, indeed godly way. (Also the stripe across her face reminds me of Ares.)

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
While I do understand that Artemis is closer to Mel given that she has seemingly known her for a while, I don't get people acting like she was cold to Zag or something.

Zagreus and Artemis's interactions were actually one of the friendliest ones he had with his Olympian family.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
Same here. I mean, they're okay. But the ones in the first game were fantastic. So expressive and gorgeous. The new ones are rather dull, by comparison.

The game's still an insta-buy, but I'm disappointed.

Yeah the first game's portraits had this wild, whimsical style, where this one's are a lot more static-looking. Agreed it's an insta buy regardless though. Sad it sounds like it's still so far away.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Portraits vary from improvement from the last game to something seems off. Demeter and Aphrodite are great. Artemis feels like something is missing. But we'll see what they add to them within the next year. Maybe faded is the right word as opposed to saying generic like that means anything.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

Agree with all of this, the portraits I've seen have a pretty generic feeling to them compared to the dynamic poses of the original which were full of personality.

Yeah i agree too, be sure to tell them that, that's what early access is for! It's finished art but there's stilla chance they might change it

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone in the technical test, what are the accessibility options? Did they keep God Mode as a toggle after they added it to the first game?

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Looks to me that the changes to the portrait style were done to make their designs easier to read, as most characters faces are now in clear view with their heads angled straight and their posing allowing for their attire and arms to be fully visible. I imagine that'll help fan artists. (Demeter's shows a change in attitude, but it lacks the power—the sense of remove, of distaste—of the original portrait. But then winter is a harsher season than fall.)

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I just need a ticket sometime today. I'm praying for a ticket. I've prayed for this day. I bought a Steam Deck JUST for this. I don't even like that thing, but it's gonna become my favorite system of all time when it lets me play Hades II. I need this. I just worked ahead 6 hours tonight so I can slack at work tomorrow and play this on the side. No one wants this more than me, I can guarantee that.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
To each their own, but from the looks of the game from the stream it's a darker vibe that they're going for. Melinoe's family is missing, she's a witch, the stakes are higher, etc. I think the less expressive portraits of some of the characters are fitting. Demeter looks better in 2 than she did in 1.

Also, some of the gods like Aphrodite and Poseidon got big upgrades with their portraits IMO. Both of which are equally as expressive as their portraits in the first game.

View: https://twitter.com/sophkat7/status/1780660730016014698

Giving Poseidon this "wavelike" hair is a cool idea.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I really missed the whole original Hades hype train and never got around to playing it but getting into this test all I can say is visually and functionally this game is quite amazing and if the rest of the game is like this I'm sure it'll be in 90+ metacritic range.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Is getting selected for these pure luck of the draw or does it look at playtime or something like that? I have all achievements twice over, witness me Supergiant

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
this is a criticism many people had of the original game, but i really wish there was more body diversity in the character portraits. they at least have one kind of chunky dude now with hephaestus, but nemesis's snatched waist still makes me wince

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
One thing I'm glad that is fixed is the low quality character models. The last time I tried to play Hades (which was for like 20 minutes) I remember that sticking out, like how do all the backgrounds look amazing but at 4k the character/npc models looked like trash.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Massive spoilers below, so don't click if you don't want to see it, but someone datamined the technical test and found a lot of not announced characters, I'm presuming a lot of these are on the EA launch:

Some really cool ones, that Eris one is sick, also a couple that look WIP (like Icarus), still great designs.

Jen is deep in her bag with these designs. The missing Gods so far are very fascinating though as far as what it might mean for the story.

This game is still ~2 years away, isn't it?

Given that development started in full in 2021, and how their stated Early Access plans align with the original game, I would expect it to release within the calendar year of 2025. I honestly don't expect early access to last much more than a year.

Launch EA in June. First update in Fall. Next update around Christmas. Penultimate update around Easter 2025 w/ launch date announcement. v1.0 three to four months after that.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The fact of the portraits seem to have different expressions and poses is actually brilliant I think.

Since we're playing a completely different character, they are going to react to her differently than they did Zag.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Gameplay looks fire ngl

But I will wait on the full release, I burned out
on the first game before the full release. With 150hrs playtime, I still do not have a full run of the game.

Jun 24, 2019
I like the Hades 1 portraits of Artemis, Poseidon, and Zeus. New Artemis looks a bit waifu-y, such a downgrade.

New designs of Demeter, Skelle-bro and Hypnos are great.

Aphrodite looks fabulous both old and new. Previous one captured her goddess of love aspect, the newer one is going for her goddess of war aspect.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

Who is that ?

gabyb

Jun 23, 2021
Got into the test and the game keeps crashing on me on night 3 :( And I was so close to defeating the first mini boss.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I just need a ticket sometime today. I'm praying for a ticket. I've prayed for this day. I bought a Steam Deck JUST for this. I don't even like that thing, but it's gonna become my favorite system of all time when it lets me play Hades II. I need this. I just worked ahead 6 hours tonight so I can slack at work tomorrow and play this on the side. No one wants this more than me, I can guarantee that.
Geeze, 3am me was on some shit last night.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Massive spoilers below, so don't click if you don't want to see it, but someone datamined the technical test and found a lot of not announced characters, I'm presuming a lot of these are on the EA launch:

Some really cool ones, that Eris one is sick, also a couple that look WIP (like Icarus), still great designs.
The post got deleted but you can still find them on Twitter or other places if you search. Gotta say, love them all. Probably more than most of the designs we have seen so far officially.

I am surprised how slightly creepy this character looks. Although, maybe they are just supposed to be in a bad shape.
This Icarus(?) looks quite pale and spooky. Maybe that is just because he is sad and dead though:
GLcrqvcWoAAkzvV

MoonlitSeer

Jun 9, 2023

Oh I am DIGGING Eris. It's her and Hestia I most wanted to see, since I mained the Rail. Absolutely a 10/10 design right there. Damn. Reminds me a lot of how Allison from Kill 6 Billion Demons looks at the moment, which I am also a huge fan of.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
Do we know if Hestia, Hera and Hephaestus will be in the game? Would love to see all the Olympians finally.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I can't wait for this! Hades is so freakin good.

Back in 2020 we had the Remake/Hades combo, and now in 2024 we'll have the Rebirth/Hades II combo!

If only Naughty Dog had something coming out this year 😭

chachee

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone in the technical test, what are the accessibility options? Did they keep God Mode as a toggle after they added it to the first game?

Yep, still there, still a toggle.

I messed around for about 2 hours last night after putting 250+ in the original. Maybe I haven't wrapped my head around how to best use the Omega powers and the push/pull around them with the MP based powerups but so far it feels like this is the Doom Eternal to 2016's Doom: The addition of mechanics is a net subtraction from the gameplay.