• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 7, 2022
spoiler-all-new-portraits-from-todays-livestream-v0-2o0qp1r2i3vc1.png

I thought this was Nyx for a minute, thinking "Damn, the underworld got themselves a Planet Fitness trying to keep up with Zagreus".

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I had one criticism thus far, it's that it felt like Hades 1 had a lot more visual contrast between the player/enemies/interactable objects, and the background. While I realize that there's going to be some degree of "fuzziness" due to it being streamed yesterday, it felt like there wasn't as much contrast, even if the graphics/background designs themselves were beautiful. I'd like to see more of that contrast come back.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
On the game: Pretty fun, won't play more as I already beat the first boss and don't really want to grind it before early access, It was rather easy tho, I'd love it if they included the hard mode when the EA comes out.

Mar 19, 2021
I've dabbled with the technical test and it honestly seems really polished already, had no discernible issues at all so far.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I played about half an hour earlier and I couldn't stop grinning. It's exactly what I wanted - more Hades with iterative changes that feel completely natural.

The remixes of some of the original music my LORD so good. Can't wait! Hades is one of my all time favs.

Derbel McDillet

â–² Legend â–²
Nov 23, 2022
youtu.be

It only gets better. | Hades 2

Hades 2 tech test playlist! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmj6-vxquxwRs2j-jK4XOhsrJ1fDxw-gcFull vod available to watch here! https://www.twitch.tv/v...

This stream is the only thing keeping me sane. I can watch it while I do the work I was supposed to do today. The music is so good especially now that I'm watching with headphones.

Imma need that email by tomorrow or else my posts are gonna get even weirder and start concerning people.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
this is a criticism many people had of the original game, but i really wish there was more body diversity in the character portraits. they at least have one kind of chunky dude now with hephaestus, but nemesis's snatched waist still makes me wince

honestly, I kinda get it? They're Greek gods, maybe they're supposed to represent some kind of zenith of physical health. I myself like it for these characters specifically, makes them feel more otherworldly

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Even from just watching the technical test, it's really fascinating how Hades II can feel so wonderfully familiar yet so different. Both games feel like opposite sides of the same coin in the best way. There's such a tonal shift from Zag to Mel, along with the characters and world they're surrounded by. Zag is such a cheery character, with such a warm color palette that matches the mood of the extravagant House of Hades and many areas of the Underworld. Mel, in comparison, is a more formal soldier, and that reflects in a cooler color palette with the Crossroads and Erebus, and her casual action being a salute. Zag's goal is more hopeful with wanting to escape the Underworld to find his mother, whereas Mel has a much greater burden in wanting to kill Chronos to avenge her family. Thankfully, Hades II isn't without its sense of humor, with both new and returning characters providing levity.

The plot is really intriguing as well, and it seems that there are a lot of wonderfully twisty ways the story can go. I love the shift from the first game's more classical approach to Greek mythology to the more delightfully witchy side of it in the sequel, and all that entails in terms of gameplay and aesthetics. The upgrading system denser with more freedom -- choosing which room to go to next for a specific upgrade material is interesting, I like it. The gameplay feels familiar yet new, and I was itching to play it myself watching the test. (Trying not to boot up Hades so badly.)

New characters:
Hestia's VA and dialogue immediately stole the show for me -- I can't wait to see her portrait! -- though I adore Odysseus, Hecate, Nemesis, Selene, Hephaestus, Dora, and Arachne as well. ...basically, everyone, lol. Amazing designs, VA, and dialogue.

The attention to detail in level design and portraits is incredible, with so much more environmental idle animation -- the leaves blowing in the breeze in character portraits are breathtaking. I love the different colors reflecting on Mel's face at the boon choice screen as well.

I'm actually really shocked I watched the whole technical stream -- even with my love for Hades, I didn't think I'd have the attention span to watch the full thing, but the combat was great to watch, the game itself has a very strong opening in terms of gameplay loop and narrative, and Amir and Greg did great commentary.

I'm really thrilled in the direction Hades II seems to be going thus far. Hades could have been a perfect standalone game in its own right, but if a sequel is to be made, Supergiant is ticking all the boxes. Fantastic.

Glad folks in this thread are enjoying the technical test! I'm trying to wait until the full game release, but it'll be hard.

If I had one criticism thus far, it's that it felt like Hades 1 had a lot more visual contrast between the player/enemies/interactable objects, and the background. While I realize that there's going to be some degree of "fuzziness" due to it being streamed yesterday, it felt like there wasn't as much contrast, even if the graphics/background designs themselves were beautiful. I'd like to see more of that contrast come back.

Yes, that's a great point. I felt the lack of contrast more so with the character portraits, but gameplay is really important, as well. It'll be interesting to see if/how it evolves across Early Access.

Derbel McDillet

â–² Legend â–²
Nov 23, 2022
honestly, I kinda get it? They're Greek gods, maybe they're supposed to represent some kind of zenith of physical health. I myself like it for these characters specifically, makes them feel more otherworldly
I never really got that criticism when you can pull just about any game out of a hat and say the same thing. Like I can get thinking Poseidon, Zeus and Hades are all the same build, but Hermes, Ares and Dionysus aren't. Followed by Athena, Artemis and Aphrodite. Or is the criticism just one of them should be hefty? When the phrase "built like a Greek God" has existed for how long.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
The hades 2 test felt so good that is was the thing to motivate me to finally go back to Hades 1 and man they added so much stuff since I last played it. Finally did my first run and the new systems that open up are cool. Looking forward to chipping away at this over the next few days. But yeah its impressive how different yet familiar the two feel.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
On the bright side at least I won't burn myself out on the first level before Early Access?

zeldor711

Feb 11, 2020
Argh, it's gonna be tough to hold out to the full release instead of playing Early Access. Is it likely to come out in full this year and will progress carry over from EA?

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I didn't realize the 5 times was the limit for the test. Well hopefully early access isn't too far off because this felt quite amazing.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
It's alright, the fewer people get in the less time the technical test takes and the sooner we get to EA
- he said, coping

Derbel McDillet

â–² Legend â–²
Nov 23, 2022
God, I don't ask for much.
You know how badly I want this.
Just throw a brother a bone.
Just me, forget everyone else.
I could easily put 50 hours into this in a single weekend.
I'd do 100, but that's not physically possible.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's honestly offensive they would leave us in the cold like this 😩

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I played the technical test over the weekend. Aesthetically speaking I know what you mean - Hades 1 is very vibrant at all times, however my biggest lasting criticism with Hades is that it can be very hard to read in combat. So far Hades 2 seemed much better in that regard, I feel like I never had any "what hit me?" moments. I went back to a fresh save in Hades 1 and even comparing Meg/Hecate fight and it's just so much easier to parse what's going on with Hecate.

I'm not 100% sure why that is because it's likely the sum of a lot of little changes, but I think part of it is while the backgrounds and characters themselves are more muted, the attacks and projectiles glow just as bright if not more so than in Hades 1, and thus there's actually more contrast and better readability in the combat. Also it looks like for maybe the first time in a Supergiant game, characters and enemies are rendered natively in 3D instead of 2D sprites taken of 3D renders, which might also be a big contributor to visibility.

But yeah for the overall style they're definitely going for a "dark second act" vibe with the more muted color palate, i.e. all the gods dressed for war and you playing as a witch, so I honestly don't expect that to change too much. Maybe later areas have vastly different color grading though, we'll see.

And I loved what I played of Hades 2. The omega moves and the AoE cast make the combat much more dynamic and complex out of the gate, I forgot how mindlessly attack spam-y early game Hades is.

Last edited:

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023
I'm kind of just hoping this is the last wave of invites (since they didn't mention any more this time, unlike the other tweets) and the EA release will be soon.

Anticipating this release just as hard as Derbel McDillet. I really, really want to play it.