DoctorBat

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Spider-Man's secret identity is anyone's deal now but it used to be a central enjoyment of the original run. The soapy drama of Peter's early university days is still fun and compelling, and I imagine there was some level of vicarious thrill for kids knowing they were in on a secret the supporting cast generally weren't.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
11036646-1414767001-32340.jpg

Dan Stevens character from The Guest is the answer to the problem of secret identities.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Doc Ock basically turn Peter's life around when he was in his body?

Edit: I think I accidentally posted this in two separate threads.

<shrugs>

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's entirely dependent on how "low-key" a hero is. Like, Hal Jordan is a space cop, Thor is a god, Wonder Woman is... whatever her origin currently is. These are people who run in circles that don't need protection, and that are beyond mortal law.

But Spider-Man? Dude's a normal broke dude that occasionally fights thugs. He can't protect the people close to him if a gangster or super-criminal wants to put the hurt in. Even for people like Batman, who have the means, there's the legal issue. You can't run around assaulting people. There's due process.

Like, Tony Stark? Should be in jail. Imagine if Elon Musk strapped on some body armor and started running around shooting people, judge/jury/executioner? We're living in a society here! There's rules! And don't get me started on SHIELD, shit's just unconstitutional...

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
There's not only assault laws, but liability as well. Who's going to pay for all the damages to the buildings and stuff, let alone personal injury, which is what did in the Incredibles.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I remember Damage Control cleans it up, but I don't remember who pays for it. I kinda remember some kind of insurance, but destruction happens so often it just doesn't seem viable. Whereas if you knew Spider-man's identity you could just send the bill to Aunt May.