P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
It's a negative and simplistic way to look at things. I know parents who adopted a kid and would give their life for him. Not their DNA. There are also people who risk / give their lives to save friends and even strangers. I guess it's because they want to make sure the human DNA lives on? How in hell would you still define this as selfish?

Those generalizations lead nowhere. Next we will have someone explaining how evil acts are just a matter of opinion... Leads nowhere.

Adopting kids is a transference of that innate drive we have as animals to procreate.

The human mind is a wonderful and amazing thing, and it can repurpose and recontextualize stimuli, instinct, experience, dna data, etc.

I would argue a person or couple adopting, are in effect, restructuring the schema in their brain to see the child as if it were their actual child.

It's a great thing, doesn't need to be seen as a negative. That's what makes humans great, their adaptability and ability to expand beyond instinctual drives.

Saving someone's life is again an innate instinctual response that many people have restructured their brain to see as people around them, when the original intent was to fiercely protect the pack, because their survival meant your survival. This is why the strongest form of "selfless heroisim" is seen in groups like the military or police or fire department...where they specifically condition its memeber with a strong sense of "brotherhood" or "family". It works your brain into seeing those around you as someone you should be protecting.

And "selfish" isn't inherently a bad thing. I wouldn't take offense. It just means the idea of thinking/performing to protect ones ego or self. We all need to be selfish to survive, even as humans. Not just physically but also mentally as well. We all need to stroke our ego's even if you aren't aware you are doing it, you are.

Selfish acts don't require intent, nor does doing something selfish means it's harming someone/something else. Selfish acts can help others even, of course.

But yea, the point is, it's a very valid theory that every human action could be argued as a result of a selfish action at its core. That theory doesn't have to be perceived as negative :)