Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The survival of affirmative action in higher education appeared to be in serious trouble Monday at a conservative-dominated Supreme Court after hours of debate over difficult questions of race.

The court is weighing challenges to admissions programs at the University of North Carolina and Harvard that use race among many factors in seeking a diverse student body.

The court's six conservative justices all expressed doubts about the practice, while the three liberals defended the programs, which are similar to those used by many other private and public universities.

Arguments in the North Carolina case topped 2 hours and 45 minutes, having been scheduled for 90 minutes.

Following the overturning of the half-century abortion precedent of Roe v. Wade in June, the cases offer a big new test of whether the court now dominated 6-3 by conservatives will jolt the law to the right on another of the nation's most contentious cultural issues.

Justice Clarence Thomas, the court's second Black justice who has a long record of opposition to affirmative action programs, noted he didn't go to racially diverse schools. "I've heard the word 'diversity' quite a few times, and I don't have a clue what it means," the conservative justice said at one point. At another, he challenged defenders: "Tell me what the educational benefits are."

Justice Amy Coney Barrett, another conservative, pointed to one of the court's previous affirmative action cases and said it anticipated a halt to its use in declaring that it was "dangerous" and had to have an end point. When, she asked, is that end point?

Justice Samuel Alito likened affirmative action to a race in which a minority applicant gets to "start five yards closer to the finish line." But liberal Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the court's first Hispanic justice, rejected that comparison saying what universities are doing is looking at students as a whole.

Likewise, Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, the court's newest justice and its first Black woman, also said that race was being used at the University of North Carolina as part of a broad review of applicants along 40 different factors.

"They're looking at the full person with all of these characteristics," she said.

Justice Elena Kagan called universities the "pipelines to leadership in our society" and suggested that without affirmative action minority enrollment will drop.

"I thought part of what it meant to be an American and to believe in American pluralism is that actually our institutions, you know, are reflective of who we are as a people in all our variety," she said.

The Supreme Court has twice upheld race-conscious college admissions programs in the past 19 years, including just six years ago.
apnews.com

Affirmative action in jeopardy after justices raise doubts

Members of the Supreme Court’s conservative majority are questioning the continued use of affirmative action in higher education.

Roe v Wade was just the beginning.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be nice to live in a world where affirmative action isn't needed because racial inequality doesn't exist.

Unfortunately that is just a dream.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
From the same court that brought you such hot takes as "voting rights isn't important anymore because we elected a black man."

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
This is one car I'm surprised conservatives are chasing, I can only imagine their furor if Asian Americans start making up the majority of Ivy league classes.

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't affirmative action help white women the most though?
White women have really been part of the reason for their self inflicted Ls by largely sticking with white men, voting wise

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
How the fuck is there no justification to stack the courts yet?

You got the majority siding with all these ass backwards shit because now they can change shit on their whim based on theur racist ass views.

Somehow GOP still does a reverse Uno card move where THEY are the victims. Wow. This country is fucked.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
The headline from the AP implies that there's an actual weighing of the questions being asked here, and that lends legitimacy to an illegitimate court. "Supreme Court once again expresses desire to overrule decades of precedent" should be the headline coming out of here. They aren't fact finding. They're just trying to justify the decision they've already made.

Fuck judicial review. Fuck this court.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The questioning from the justices seemed particularly egregious. Usually all the justices at least pretend to talk about the case at hand, here the conservatives all acted like none of them knew anything about it other than the names of the schools that were being sued.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Fuck the Supreme Court

It's ridiculous any person can look at us and not say we're at a disadvantage due to DECADES of racial inequality and systemic racism. I was able to get into a good college thanks to having a stable parent in my life but not every black kid has that in their lives or the resources necessary to get into higher education. Fucking sucks. My heart goes out to all young black Americans. They deserve way better.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Definitely something that will affect my job as I work in a college admissions department and review applications for admission. This would be a frustrating situation since race is not used as a primary factor at all. Instead, it is used as part of a total application. Not having that information during review would make the process of bringing in a qualified yet diverse class into the school year to year more difficult.

This is the group that somehow manages to blame black/brown students for taking "their" spots at competitive colleges but choose not to call out legacy admissions? Real suspect group there if so...

My first thoughts are that there are still some decent alternatives to consider as part of an application. First Generation status is a big one that still skews minority. Of course you have income, which is an unfortunate reality of the US where minorities on average earn less than white families. Some students self-report that and sometimes we get it from the testing agencies if students added that to their info. There is geographic data we can probably look at and consider.

I don't think all would be lost, but it would require some changes on part of schools to get similar information without race being officially part of anything.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Literally a headline the other day that said "The most DIVERSE SCOTUS EVER will look into affirmative action" as if the fact they were looking at it in the first place wasn't already the writing on the fucking wall.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The headline from the AP implies that there's an actual weighing of the questions being asked here, and that lends legitimacy to an illegitimate court. "Supreme Court once again expresses desire to overrule decades of precedent" should be the headline coming out of here. They aren't fact finding. They're just trying to justify the decision they've already made.

Fuck judicial review. Fuck this court.

It's going to get worse too.

May 26, 2018
Full steam ahead towards a white Christian fascist nation that has a made up history to make white people feel good about dominating Black and Brown people.

The civil rights era feels so limp these days... All that fighting happened a short time ago and soon it'll come to nothing. It will be mourned like a pet with a little place for its ashes.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This is one car I'm surprised conservatives are chasing, I can only imagine their furor if Asian Americans start making up the majority of Ivy league classes.

There was a news story about this; where rich white parents took kids out of the monied local public high because the influx of Asian neighbors moving in to take advantage of the good education were fucking up their rankings and were making school 'too hard'.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
You would think Supreme Court justices would know this and there would be no fucking debate about it.

Yet here we are..

Oh they know. They don't care. This SCOTUS isn't even pretending to be an actual court with standards anymore. They're there to rewrite the laws of the land for the hyper-conservative and they will carry that out as hard as they can.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
They didn't think this one through.

Ditching Affirmative Action isn't going to lead to more White people in Ivy Leagues.

It'll give us Asians a massive boost instead, lol