• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
People need to start realizing that neither party cares about you. It's all talk to get elected and further their own lives.

Country will always be shit under both these parties. They've spent decades poisoning everyone to be against each other. It's sad.
How does it always end up with both being fault. As if there's no dems fighting against.

Honestly xir that's just stupid.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would this mean all red states would ban it or is it a local governed decision so could happen in blue states as well? Maybe getting my wires crossed in how the US works.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely ghoulish.

And to all of those out there who couldn't be bothered to get out in 2016 because "bOtH SiDeS R dA sAmE": Seriously go fuck yourself.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
So if the electoral college exists and is undemocratic, how is voting harder gonna fix it? It's not a democratic institution

80,000 votes in 3 states would've changed 3 Supreme Court seats. We are talking about Roe v. Wade, not whether the election for president is purely democratic.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
???? Obama said the first thing he would do is to sign the freedom of choice act. Then he said it wasn't at the top of his priority list. Or do you not remember that
There weren't 60 Democratic votes in the Senate to pass an abortion bill, and potentially not a majority in the House either. That Congress was filled with conservative/moderate blue dogs. And usually a president's top legislative priority isn't a controversial bill that will inmediately divide the party and die on the vine anyway.

Ok dude. You had a year with Merrick Garland's nomination but you didn't do anything because Mitch didn't play nice.
I think you're plugged in enough to know better. But even if Obama discovered a magic word to get Garland on the bench, this would still be a 5-4 decision to kill Roe

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
People who keep saying the overturning was 6-3 are inaccurate. The vote for the full overturning was 5-4 with Roberts joining the liberals. It was 6-3 in favor of the Mississippi 15 week ban with Roberts joining the other conservatives, which is still the shits, but he did so because he felt there was some compromise. Not saying that as a good or bad thing but for the sake of accuracy

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
FUCKING HELL!!!! What a shit fucking thing to wake up to!!!!

2016 will go down as in of the most consequential elections and modern history…and people just fucking sat home or voted 3rd party. Fucking horrible that now women are seemingly nothing but baby incubator…so fucking torn by this fuck all of this!!!

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
We warned you in 2016. But some people chose their "consciences" over doing what's right. Enjoy your conservative majority supreme court for the next few years. Hope the momentary feeling of sticking it to Hillary was worth it.
Stop this shit. She won the popular vote. More Bernie voters swung over to her than her supporters swung over to Obama in 2008. It's time to stop relitigating 2016 for the millionth time and focus on today.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It only becomes more and more apparent that no viable path to the future can exist as long as certain people continue to hold any influence in the country. They can either be stopped, or have their dystopia become more and more of a reality.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
People need to start realizing that neither party cares about you. It's all talk to get elected and further their own lives.

Country will always be shit under both these parties. They've spent decades poisoning everyone to be against each other. It's sad.

Ehh, one party has been dedicated to poisoning everyone to be against each other.

The Dems have LOTS of issues, and in any other country would be the worst party there. But lets not forget the GOP has been the party of hatred for votes since the 1970's and their 'Southern Strategy'.

Its why I hate the Dem & far left critiques which trust me are well deserving, but also whitewash the GOP being the supposedly right wing which doesn't cover it, supposedly conservative which doesnt cover it, but the 2022 Nazi party, full stop.

All the 'anti regulation, small gov, etc' excuses have been off the table for years, its just a bigot death cult. But hey, considering how we were still dealing with basic civil rights issues like gay marriage a decade ago, maybe that's just America and we've been fooling ourselves as a coping mechanism.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
There weren't 60 Democratic votes in the Senate to pass an abortion bill, and potentially not a majority in the House either. That Congress was filled with conservative/moderate blue dogs. And usually a president's top legislative priority isn't a controversial bill that will inmediately divide the party and die on the vine anyway.

I think you're plugged in enough to know better. But even if Obama discovered a magic word to get Garland on the bench, this would still be a 5-4 decision to kill Roe
I'm just saying. Obama had a chance to enshrine Roe or appoint Garland. He did neither and is now musing over it.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Oh I don't know, when he was President. SAID he would pass it. HAD a majority in the house and senate. And then said "nah".
Let me rephrase, when did he have the NUMERICAL chance. I honestly don't remember if Obama had votes to clear both the House and the Senate at any time during his Presidency. Because there is a big difference between controlling the House and the Senate and having the votes in both.

We can see right now just barely having control of the Senate does help much when you need 60 for most votes.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
"The authority to regulate abortion is returned to the PEOPLE"

So their argument is that somehow they are returning the right to the people but then not letting individual people decide whether or not they are okay with abortion?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The only hope LGBT people have is Roberts being concerned about his legacy and Gorusch following a strange pattern of not being totally trashy on lgbt stuff.

So probably fucked.

Because it's probably 5-4 with Roberts and Gorsuch flipping sides from this vote at best

Maybe Roberts will protect Lawrence maybe.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Legit question - how easy/difficult is it to move to canada from the US?

Without an in demand job or a lot of money, pretty difficult. You're going to be better off going somewhere like Australia or New Zealand. They aren't necessarily easier to migrate to, but they tend to have more low end jobs for exphats that can get you in the door. Or at least that was true at one point. It may be different now

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
How many more shitty things are Republicans going to do before assassination attempts start? Honestly wouldn't be surprised if we're close to that breaking point.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

what the fuck does this have to do with the rights of my wife and daughter being taken away? reported.

Voras

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So are we allowed to call America a fascist state yet, or do mods still object to that? I'm wondering how many rights people have to lose before it's allowed to be said here?

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
This fucking country. Welcome to our Illiberal Democracy. Ruled by a neo-fascist theocratic kleptocracy. This is a bad day for this country, and a "canary screeching in the coal mine" moment for our immediate future.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
An empire dying.. This needs tens of millions of people in the streets right now, but I doubt it's going to happen.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
blaming evil for being evil is pointless. blaming the people who say they're champion the good side who routinely demonstrate that they're spineless cowards is far more productive.
Productive? What, exactly, are you accomplishing here?

Can you clarify if the act was actually passed by the House and Senate and just waiting for his signature?
No, it was not.

You're right, neither party cares about you and ultimately care most about getting themselves elected.

But they're not equally evil. As long as our options are "incompetent, but occasionally good" and "focused evil" of fucking course we should vote for the occasionally good.

Jesus Christ it's so obvious I don't know how people don't get it.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Legit question - how easy/difficult is it to move to canada from the US?

It's generally pretty difficult to move to most countries if you don't have a specific pathway in mind and available to you (e.g. having an in-demand skill/qualification, getting placed with a something like a TEFL programme, getting sent abroad by an employer, just being straight-up rich).

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Sick of this stupid fucking country and it's stupid fucking people.

Don't even know what to do at this point, just relentlessly tired.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
i suppose reading comprehension is beyond you, then? cool, awesome, love to know that's where things stand.

point of fact is that the democrats have had ample opportunity over the last twenty years to codify several key rights won in the courts, and ran on platforms promising that codification. but they didn't do shit, and now republicans are walking all over our rights.

blaming evil for being evil is pointless. blaming the people who say they're champion the good side who routinely demonstrate that they're spineless cowards is far more productive.
Productive you say?

What tangible results has it produced? What has tearing down Democrats *achieved* for leftist causes?

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Time to do what you can to exit this country if you're able and have the means - it's a lost cause. Christian minority theocracy is the future (and present) of this shithole. They're coming for everything.