VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I feel as though it's only going to get worse from here, what else can we do, vote vote vote, a lot of us have. The few control many, the system is broken man…

What a miserable time

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
McCarthy already calling for a federal Ban on Abortion if GOP takes the House and Senate.
Would obviously be veto'd by Biden... but still this should be ringing alarm bells all over the country of what we are in for under a GOP Government. The immediate and swift removal of any humans rights is a reality.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
That's nice, but you're posting absolute nonsense completely detached from reality, the same nonsense that right wing people spread to encourage apathy in left wing voters to dampen turnout.

I would seriously love to hear a single optimistic thing grounded in reality from any of the gung ho dems in this thread because so far y'all are the ones making me feel stupid for voting.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
And why did we get into that place historically? Could it possibly have something to do with leaving the filibuster in place for decades when it was clear the whole time that the GOP would carve it up the second it made sense to?
Democrats carved it up for judges, and this is part of the result Got played for like fools. I dont know if the filibuster even makes sense anymore. Vs just hard policy to make reversing laws harder when a majority passes it and or make hard passes to make laws hard to reverse.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
And why did we get into that place historically? Could it possibly have something to do with leaving the filibuster in place for decades when it was clear the whole time that the GOP would carve it up the second it made sense to?
What? Removing the filibuster wouldn't have mattered when getting Garland onto the court in 2016 because Republicans were in the majority.....?

Like I get it, Dems are disorganized and shitty, but stop making things up and spreading low-info nonsense. What.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Voting is great for harm reduction and people should vote.

It's also not going to fucking solve an issue caused by a disparity between voting and representation, as well as a system that has an unelected political elite. I vote Democrat. I urge people to vote Democrat. I campaigned for Democrats. I am allowed to point out how fucking flawed the Democrats have been.

The party is far from perfect but the primary flaw is in the system, specifically at the local and state levels. Republicans have taken advantage of those flaws while defeatism only serves to lower Democratic turn out which is literally the only thing that can help fix said broken system.

Congressional Democrats cant fix shit when they're not given enough power at the local and state levels to do something about it.

The democrats also need a rising star or a beacon of hope for people to look out for, like Obama was before he got elected.

Only question is who this could be? Beto?

Another Obama isn't going to magically fix shit. What Democrats need is for voters to stop putting all their faith in a President and a Congress. They need to go vote more consistently for the folks on the ground who are running in their own towns and states.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

Obama didn't have the Senate when Garland was up. The Turtle wouldn't bring it to a vote. There was nothing to be done.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The democrats also need a rising star or a beacon of hope for people to look out for, like Obama was before he got elected.

I can't think of anyone who fits the bill exactly off the top of my head.

However, I think the Democratic machinery, however people might dislike or downplay it, should at least be capable of manufacturing one/enhancing what's already there if they put all their effort behind it.

It just isn't Biden.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Would it be a bad idea for people that don't understand how politics and voting work to be threadbanned? Especially if they have no desire to learn and just spread bad information?

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

The problem with Obama is that he was a huge disappointment (he had an opportunity to codify Roe for example when he had the Senate and House but conveniently didn't) and went back to being a standard affair centrist despite campaigning as the progressive in 2008. Voters need a reason to be hopeful and that hope comes from results and evidence that justifies it.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would seriously love to hear a single optimistic thing grounded in reality from any of the gung ho dems in this thread because so far y'all are the ones making me feel stupid for voting.
I'll post this again:

screenshot2022-06-24a1wjr6.png

Why vote? Look at the states that have protections for abortion already in place. Voting at the state and local levels matter just as much, if not more, as every 4 years.

May 26, 2018
I can't think of anyone who fits the bill exactly off the top of my head.

However, I think the Democratic machinery, however people might dislike or downplay it, should at least be capable of manufacturing one/enhancing what's already there if they put all their effort behind it.

It just isn't Biden.

Weird as it sounds I've kinda got my eye on Fetterman. Looking forward to seeing what his election results will be - could just be a silly wild hare.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
What? Removing the filibuster wouldn't have mattered when getting Garland onto the court in 2016 because Republicans were in the majority.....?

Like I get it, Dems are disorganized and shitty, but stop making things up and spreading low-info nonsense. What.

Stop thinking in terms of the last 6 years only and realize some of us have been anti-filibuster since 1994 or so.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I think the most likely place the US is headed is into a federalist system with an extremely impotent federal government and large liberal blocs of states (basically all of New England and the West Coast) just ignoring federal laws and doing their own thing.

Like, I don't think the US is going to get into a civil war because California recognizes same sex marriage. I don't think we are going to formally see secessions in our lifetime but we're going to wind up with semi-autonomous blocks of the country that just do whatever the fuck they want.

Honestly, we largely saw that during the pandemic anyway with different states deciding to handle it differently and even cities in Texas and elsewhere ignoring the state government and just doing whatever they wanted with mask mandates.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
The problem with Obama is that he was a huge disappointment (he had an opportunity to codify Roe for example when he had the Senate and House but conveniently didn't) and went back to being a standard affair centrist despite campaigning as the progressive in 2008. Voters need a reason to be hopeful and that hope comes from results and evidence that justifies it.
No he didn't.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I'll post this again:

screenshot2022-06-24a1wjr6.png

Why vote? Look at the states that have protections for abortion already in place. Voting at the state and local levels matter just as much, if not more, as every 4 years.

I vote, and will always vote, but I don't see how any of that matters unless dems can somehow prevent this Supreme Court from banning abortion nationally soon, which they'll clearly do, and also rolling back everything good that's happened since 1900 along the way.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
It's important to think of America as a conglomeration of 50 semi-countries with some overarching regulations from a central governing body. This thinking would make state elections a lot more meaningful to apathetic voters.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing people advertising personal abortion services, complete with a sliding scale for different forms with more and less safety and more and less chance of success, and depending on payment amount.

I'm assuming that shit is fake...but I'm guessing we'll see this for real in the days ahead

May 26, 2018
I think the most likely place the US is headed is into a federalist system with an extremely impotent federal government and large liberal blocs of states (basically all of New England and the West Coast) just ignoring federal laws and doing their own thing.

Like, I don't think the US is going to get into a civil war because California recognizes same sex marriage. I don't think we are going to formally see secessions in our lifetime but we're going to wind up with semi-autonomous blocks of the country that just do whatever the fuck they want.

Honestly, we largely saw that during the pandemic anyway with different states deciding to handle it differently and even cities in Texas and elsewhere ignoring the state government and just doing whatever they wanted with mask mandates.

I think it'll go further simply because fascists can't get along with anyone, and neither can theocrats. A combo of both in full power? They would be tortured every moment knowing liberal states have their own rules and would assault them any way they could.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
McCarthy already calling for a federal Ban on Abortion if GOP takes the House and Senate.
Would obviously be veto'd by Biden... but still this should be ringing alarm bells all over the country of what we are in for under a GOP Government. The immediate and swift removal of any humans rights is a reality.
I've always said if the republicans were in full power, expect some rights to be taken away.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I vote, and will always vote, but I don't see how any of that matters unless dems can somehow prevent this Supreme Court from banning abortion nationally soon, which they'll clearly do, and also rolling back everything good that's happened since 1900 along the way.
1. I wasn't questioning if you voted or not.
2. IT FUCKING MATTERS to help get people the services they need, no matter if that time is a month or 50+ years before your dooms day scenario.

Teusery

"This guy are sick"
May 18, 2022
Official Staff Communication
The news today is extremely abhorrent, and many people are furious over the reversal of Roe v. Wade. All of us on staff are feeling similarly - defeated, angry, frustrated - we understand. But we cannot allow for calls to violence here. We will not host that content and anyone doing it will catch a ban. Similarly, dismissive calls to "just move" that downplay the reality of many people's situations will also be moderated.
Popped back in here, see the arguments going on...

Can we PLEASE get some staff action people derailing the actions of the republicans (and our subsequent response as a unit) with Obama/Clinton/2016 voter blame games? Or promoting APATHY and DOING NOTHING?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Whatever. We're paying for the mistakes of the past with our future. Hope the energy I see here translates into more than just voting this year.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I think it'll go further simply because fascists can't get along with anyone, and neither can theocrats. A combo of both in full power? They would be tortured every moment knowing liberal states have their own rules and would assault them any way they could.

Its certainly possible but they need the economic output of those areas *and* they need someplace for liberal Americans to go or they risk a brain drain to Europe/Canada/NZ/Australia.

I do think whatever prayer we had of Texas turning blue in the next decade is likely gone as I seriously doubt we are going to have free and fair elections long enough to get there.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Stop thinking in terms of the last 6 years only and realize some of us have been anti-filibuster since 1994 or so.
Okay? None of this makes your original post implying that Dems "allowed" Trump to choose justices any less inaccurate. I'm so confused.

Edit: I got my posters mixed up, I see Toxi made the original post. So I don't even know what point we're arguing about. My bad.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

I am not spreading lo information nonsense, I am having a loose conversation on a message board on a day when everyone is angry as fuck. I am saying dems could have avoided all of this if they hadn't gotten consistently outplayed for 30 years, and if they'd been less Charlie Brown with the Football all of these things would have played out more moderately at worst.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017

I can see this happening. I'm curious what happens though if states begin to renig on their obligations towards federal funding.

Oct 25, 2017
Would it be a bad idea for people that don't understand how politics and voting work to be threadbanned? Especially if they have no desire to learn and just spread bad information?

Ironically, this thread is much better than would have been six months ago, with the few tremendously stupid and trolling posts getting a huge amount of attention, rather than it being a swarm of misinformation. There's been a lot of high-quality bans that have taken out the core of the knee-jerk bad-civics crowd.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Does anyone have some resources for what can be done to support people in states that are about to have their rights stripped away? I am in a super blue state, so not sure how protesting in person in my state would help people in other states.

May 26, 2018
Its certainly possible but they need the economic output of those areas *and* they need someplace for liberal Americans to go or they risk a brain drain to Europe/Canada/NZ/Australia.

Brain drain is a feature of fascism. So is genocide and eventual economic self-destruction. It's a bubble of violent narcissistic madness and if they didn't have that they wouldn't be themselves.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017

Not going to sugarcoat it, it's bad, it's real fucking bad. But there's 2 options

Option 1: you just give up and let them win

Or

Option 2: you get pissed off, and do something about it, you organize and fight back via every legal avenue possible, you get people who can do better to run in every race you can, and you go out and vote every damn time and bring as many people to vote with you as you can, and maybe, just maybe, things get better.

Your vote isn't always going to make a difference, but your lack of voting and giving up just lets people who want to ruin everything we have built take over, and guess what...they never fail to vote and fight for what they want.

The system sucks and gives shit people from shit states way more power and representation then they should have, but it's what we have and we need to make the most of it.