• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
The Democratic tent is absolutely too big.

Case in point, the Republican tent is getting smaller and… they're accomplishing shit at record speed. Having lame-duck representatives only reduces the effectiveness of the party.

Yes, a Republican would absolutely take Joe Manchin's seat. But perhaps telling the "left" we only need to flip 2 seats, when the reality is we need 4, is not productive and just builds apathy in your voters as you "have the majority", but also no ability to do what the majority wants.
They aren't accomplishing things at record speed.

Their victory today took decades. Today was just the first major tactical victory (and they aren't done). The strategic victory was installing Amy Coney Barrett on the Supreme Court.

Don't let it be said that they didn't put in the work, which includes creating and co-opting institutions like Fox and the Federalist Society and Qanon and your local school board.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your mindset of "We should just accept any congressman or congresswoman with a "D" by their name & deal with it!" is wrong. We should only be looking towards candidates who do truly care about us, such as progressives, as well as Green Party candidates. Local, state & federal.

The fucking Green Party? What the fuck is wrong with you? Why would you want more people like Sinema or Jill Stein? It's a party that exists to grift and muddy the waters.

Dec 19, 2021
Your mindset of "We should just accept any congressman or congresswoman with a "D" by their name & deal with it!" is wrong, because that's how we get more corporate, neoliberal Democrats.
And when these corporate, neoliberal Democrats get rid of the filibuster and pass a six-week abortion access at the national level, along with a ban on gerrymandering and an improved VRA, I'm sure I will be very upset :(

We should only be looking towards candidates who do truly care about us, such as progressives, as well as Green Party candidates. Local, state & federal.
K. You keep doing that, and when Democrats haven't won control of the Senate and the presidency within how many years, I'm sure you'll be here posting that Democrats just need to be ideologically purer-er.

May 9, 2022
Florida
They aren't accomplishing things at record speed.

Their victory today took decades. Today was just the first major tactical victory (and they aren't done). The strategic victory was, as well knew, installing Coney Barrett on the Supreme Court.

Don't let it be said that they didn't put in the work, which includes creating and co-opting institutions like Fox and the Federalist Society and Qanon and your local school board.

I'm not referring to just this victory. But them "co-opting" institutions as you put it is also the shrinking of their tent? I'm not sure what you're getting at. They have been shrinking the Republican tent for years and it has absolutely bore fruit.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Except you turn around and not do the same thing for America and its empire, its manifest destiny, then again double down by saying those crimes were already almost done.

See below:
I'm no longer engaging with your blatant bad faith posting, purposeful misinterpretation, outright lies, and aggressive pursuit of an off-topic conversation.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
This is straight up not the "only way forward". It's insanely frustrating to me that American liberals seem to know of no other tools at their disposal beyond voting.

Winning presidential elections doesn't do enough if we continue to get our asses handed to us in local and state elections.

These. Voting just isn't enough. If there aren't any progressives, what's the point?

Look at my post as for my suggestions below the videos. Post #2,874.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
People tout out this whole 'it took Republicans 50 years' to do this shit as if one day conservatives all hunkered down and decided they were going to pull up their boot straps and one day in the far future all their dreams would come true.

That's not what happened.

What happened is that very power and rich people lost a small amount of power and decided they were going to get that power back and more no longer how long it took and they did it the way the rich and powerful have always done it: using their vast wealth and resources to power to do everything they could to redirect the course of power back to them and the easiest way to do that was by using the racism, sexism, queer phobia and religious obsession to radicalize conservatives/Republicans and pursuing ways that conservatives will have more voting power, which they now do by a significant margin.

Like Christ, even when some of you can recognize part of the problem, it's like you're walking on the right road with a massive blindfold.

I'll just repost this since a lot of people are on this weak talking point again. It's a shame the way we've let this conversation became just another where a lot of people who are totally misinformed and don't have a clue about how we really got here subtlety and not so subtly attack those who are doing exactly what they say need to be done.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This. Voting just isn't enough.

No, I'm talking about voting more often. There are multiple elections every year in our cities, counties and states that most people ignore. Candidates who do have our backs run in these local elections and then don't get anywhere they can do the most good because people think showing up every 2-4 years is good enough to enact sweeping reform.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'm not referring to this victory. But them "co-opting" institutions as you put it is also the shrinking of their tent? I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't talking about tent sizes -- just about the time horizon of victory. I think their tent is shrinking in many respects (aside from potentially "extending Whiteness" to some religious Latinos).

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
See, I think this is your issue here. You think that any candidate that doesn't agree with you on everything is useless and therefore should be discarded.

You will not get what you want with this mindset. It's shortsighted, naive, and honestly just self-defeating.

"Everything," perhaps not, but it should be basic that party representatives and voting members acknowledge and uphold rights.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
I still feel like this cannot be real. How do we overturn a decision and precedent that's been in place for almost 50 years. 50 years! This is an absolute disrespect and abuse of power. Old bitter people with no brains or human decency controlling and potentially destroying the lives of millions of women and families, because of their damn opinion. The whole point of Roe was to let everyone have the freedom to their own opinion. America is built on FREEDOM is it not? The beauty is that we are able to make our choices and have our opinions...that's gone. America has lost its freedom, it's primary ideal. Republicans have the nerve to act like 'patriots' and 'real Americans'. Now, they're nothing but hypocrites. The real Americans are those who believe freedom of personal choice.

I'm done. I'm fighting now. Enough standing by waiting. I'm going to get out there and make a difference. We all need to.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
And when these corporate, neoliberal Democrats get rid of the filibuster and pass a six-week abortion access at the national level, along with a ban on gerrymandering and an improved VRA, I'm sure I will be very upset :(

K. You keep doing that, and when Democrats haven't won control of the Senate and the presidency within how many years, I'm sure you'll be here posting that Democrats just need to be ideologically purer-er.
Stage 1: Denial. Corporate, neoliberal Democrats don't care about you.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
No one fought Mitch? Mitch McConnell controlled what got to committee and the senate floor.

Yeah I know. So get him to do it. You're the president, I'm sure you have options. If the other side is ready to burn the country to the ground then I at least want someone willing to do it for me.

Could should would what the fuck ever. You know how many elected politicians are posting here? None. You know how many potential voters there are here? Basically everyone.

Also, why is it either or? That's a false binary you have set up.

People have done a significantly better job putting these people in office then they have of doing anything once they get there.

Jun 17, 2019
As someone who has a relative who's a Catholic priest, he hates American Catholics and considers them lost to the church of the dollar.

Yup. As someone who also has had and still has a number of relatives in the clergy, I've been hearing this too. A reason why the Vatican is angry with the American archdiocese as a whole. Priests and Pastors are in a lot of cases against the heads. The almighty donors are their idol now.

Illinois is about to become Abortion capital of the US.

There's a reason we've been talking about it so much here.

Yep. Already seen a bunch of southern and western cars in the fall and winter. I'm expecting a lot more.

Then again we were a big part of the underground railroad, and a lot of historical changes in the states. So not at all surprised.

Here's a good reminder:

The SCOTUS literally cannot enforce their rulings. There is no enforcement body within the judicial branch.

We just do what they say because reasons.

Bingo. And if a state don't want to enforce, it doesn't have to.

People need to learn this in this thread. They act like voting is the ONLY thing and want to dismiss it. Playing right into the GOP hands, voting is just the first step in an ensemble of actions at your disposal.

Thank you. Many many more steps. Go back and look how it was done before. We can fucking do it again.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Don't let D politicians off the hook for that. He got three because RBG didn't retire when she should have and then no one fought Mitch, just kinda whined that it wasn't fair now and then.

Why's it always "Voters need to work harder!" and never "Elected politicians should do their job"?
You can't force RBG to retire.
You can't force the Senate Majority Leader to hold a vote.

This is what I'm talking about. Romanticized fantasy land where "The Dems" should have totally done a "something" because we don't like the way things turned out because the voters didn't.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
See, I think this is your issue here. You think that any candidate that doesn't agree with you on everything is useless and therefore should be discarded.
Exactly.

Any candidate that thinks that I deserve my basic right to healthcare taken away shouldn't be a Democrat.

Not sure what's so fucking confusing about that.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know. So get him to do it. You're the president, I'm sure you have options. If the other side is ready to burn the country to the ground then I at least want someone willing to do it for me.
No there's literally no options. There's no penalty for the senate not to appoint a Supreme Court as that's a power explicitly delegated to the senate.

Dec 19, 2021
"Everything," perhaps not, but it should be basic that party representatives and voting members acknowledge and uphold rights.
What defines "upholding rights"? Is a Democratic candidate in Montana running on passing a national six week abortion access not upholding rights? Is a Democratic candidate in NC running on 12 weeks not upholding rights?

Because both of those positions are now currently better than the status quo.
Stage 1: Denial. Corporate, neoliberal Democrats don't care about you.
This is not a response.

Dec 19, 2021
Exactly.

Any candidate that thinks that I deserve my basic right to healthcare taken away shouldn't be a Democrat.

Not sure what's so fucking confusing about that.
What's confusing is that you're clearly not just talking about abortion, but on everything, and advocating for more ideological purity will not get you what you want. Yet, that's what you're doing.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Abortion rights weren't taken away overnight. It took republicans decades to get to this point and I think it's a pretty safe guess that when Roe v Wade happened, conservatives didn't just throw up their hands and give up. They kept fighting and it got us to this point. Unfortunately, a lot of progressives don't seem to possess the same kind of singleminded, long term vision that conservatives do.
America was a race to see who could find a critical mass of glitches and exploits in a structurally weak government first. Republicans are crossing the finish line right now, and Democrats refused to run.

This is not the result of conservatives' organic, steadfast dedication to voting. The collected forces of capital can seed whatever narrative they want through their many media outlets to literally reshape reality.

For example:

379-AC954-045-A-42-C5-9-B11-D4982-D8-D3-BDE.png

amp.usatoday.com

Education emerged as a flash point in Virginia governor's race. Here's what voters had to say about critical race theory, teachers

Gov.-elect Glenn Youngkin's campaign pushed a ban on critical race theory. That drew some voters to the polls.

Virginia is under full Republican control right now because rich people spent a lot of time, energy, and money researching and deploying an effective propaganda campaign.

That's not incrementalism, that's Machiavellianism. And it's effective.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Green Party candidates like Krysten Sinema. Or maybe Green Party candidates that pal around with Putin and Michael Flynn.

If progressive ideals were so electable all around the US, we wouldn't be in such a shit show right now. It's a 50 state strategy for a a reason and people who continue to want to play purity test will continue to ALWAYS lose.

The fucking Green Party? What the fuck is wrong with you? Why would you want more people like Sinema or Jill Stein? It's a party that exists to grift and muddy the waters.

Some people will never learn

This is not a response.
All of you are letting mainstream media brainwash you. Heck, I used to think that all Democrats cared about us, too, & I've been voting for them for the past 22 years. Then I woke up.

We shouldn't be voting for just any Democrat.

No, he has a job, and a lot of it is about getting other people to do stuff they may not want to do or want something in return for doing. Figure it out.
Bingo.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Point to where I said anyone who doesn't agree with me on everything cannot apply to be a Democratic candidate.
I'm confused about the "applying" part.

People don't apply to be members of a political party in this country. They just join them. Then if they want to run for office, they participate in a party primary, and are chosen by the members of the party in the locality they are running in.

Are you suggesting that then members of a political party in a given area should not have the right to select the candidate they so desire to be their representative? Who should have the power to override the will of the party electorate?

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Recently actioned for sniping at other specific members and continued hostile behavior. Multiple past infractions for hostility.
I'm no longer engaging with your blatant bad faith posting, purposeful misinterpretation, outright lies, and aggressive pursuit of an off-topic conversation.
You do or don't do as you want.
I won't entertain your American exceptionalism anymore either especially concerning the dismissal of the lives that were lost as a result of the American revolution.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
So some of the suggestions I'm seeing here include voting Green Party and simply not voting for democratic candidates. If these suggestions catch on, Republicans will be taking victory laps and getting more wins like today for centuries. Just wow.

So many other takes here seem based in real fantasy level logic that just doesn't translate in the real world.

More dems in power can help prevent things like today and reverse things like today in the future. It's really that simple.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I've never once said give up.

No, he has a job, and a lot of it is about getting other people to do stuff they may not want to do or want something in return for doing. Figure it out.
I don't see how this is possible when any Republican who even makes overtures of halfway agreeing with Dems on anything other than naming post offices or increasing the military budget is branded a RINO and primaried. The incentive structure is absolutely broken. Democrats have absolutely no leverage, and neither do what-passes-for-moderate-these-days Republicans like Kinzinger. I don't know how any Democratic President can offer something to Republicans when they have no incentive to cooperate -- setting aside the fact that what all the remaining Republicans want, aside from what both parties already agree on like "sometimes funding the government," is unconscionable to nearly all Democrats.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Give up on voting I meant.

I never said do that either. People should vote if they reasonably can. But don't act like it's our solemn duty to enrich these assholes over and over and over for no reason other than because we have in the past or because they deserve it. The people did their job two years ago and basically everything promised has gone wanting. That doesn't mean go vote for these people harder, it should mean throw their asses out and vote for people who will fulfill them.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely fucked up, shameful that this can happen in 2022. This more than everything else shows how absolutely fucked up the US legal system is.

I hope that everyone affected is able to find a solution and that Wade vs Roe becomes law again, but holy shit did the US take a step back to the Middle Ages today, absolutely shameful.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of you are letting mainstream media brainwash you. Heck, I used to think that all Democrats cared about us, too. Heck, I've been voting for them the past 22 years. Then I woke up.
Brainwash? Pretty sure you're the one that's far closer to being brainwash with this red pill agenda.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've never once said give up.

You mean a whip.

And... Again-

1) Manchin will not do away with the filibuster. You can't force him to vote the way you want him to.
2) Any law passed regarding abortions can (and likely will), be overturned by this SCOTUS.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
What defines "upholding rights"? Is a Democratic candidate in Montana running on passing a national six week abortion access not upholding rights? Is a Democratic candidate in NC running on 12 weeks not upholding rights?

Because both of those positions are now currently better than the status quo.

This is not a response.

Is your question unsure of what "right" means?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Are you suggesting that then members of a political party in a given area should not have the right to select the candidate they so desire to be their representative?
Of course not.

I'm saying that we should be doing more to A.) elect less conservative candidates where we can, B.) Do what we can to shore up the Democratic Party as one that actually stands for civil rights as a maxim that cannot be crossed, in the same manner that Republicans today stand for fascism at all costs, and C.) do what we can to start chipping away at the rules and norms that allow Republicans outsized power.

This is not a one-election-and-done thing. I actually have no hope for this country in my lifetime and frankly don't expect to get anything like Roe or better back. It's fucked. But I'm tired of people essentially telling me that today is the best we can do, and I am willing to do what I can to maybe try to ensure that America actually gets a true leftist party in its future, not this soft-conservative bullshit that so many people here seem enamored with.

Oct 27, 2017
I still feel like this cannot be real. How do we overturn a decision and precedent that's been in place for almost 50 years. 50 years! This is an absolute disrespect and abuse of power. Old bitter people with no brains or human decency controlling and potentially destroying the lives of millions of women and families, because of their damn opinion. The whole point of Roe was to let everyone have the freedom to their own opinion. America is built on FREEDOM is it not? The beauty is that we are able to make our choices and have our opinions...that's gone. America has lost its freedom, it's primary ideal. Republicans have the nerve to act like 'patriots' and 'real Americans'. Now, they're nothing but hypocrites. The real Americans are those who believe freedom of personal choice.

I'm done. I'm fighting now. Enough standing by waiting. I'm going to get out there and make a difference. We all need to.

Freedom only if you look, think, pray, love and exist a certain way. The grievances of these hateful ideologues won't allow anybody that falls outside of their preconceived world view to exist in a world where they have any autonomy that clashes with their own ideals.

I hope everybody is done waiting and ready to make a difference. It's disheartening seeing all the people in this thread that are contributing to the problem and refusing to do anything about it. More need to follow your lead.