• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gamestop-video-games-teens-194314647.html

Teenage boys love video games. Nowhere is that better illustrated than in Piper Jaffray's latest survey, Taking Stock with Teens, which helps us non-teens better understand teens' consumer spending habits.

According to the survey, teenage boys spend 14% of their budgets on video games. That's more than anything else outside of life necessities like food and clothing. Free-to-play games like the incredibly popular "Fortnite" and, more recently, "Apex Legends," are also helping to capture new gamers, and, surprisingly, getting more players to pay for premium games.

What's more, 60% of all teens teens said they now prefer downloading their games to buying physical media, versus 55% this time last year and 45% the year before, which means big benefits for game publishers. But it also spells serious trouble for the likes of video game retailer GameStop (GME).

Gaming is only getting bigger

In its survey, Piper Jaffray spoke with 8,000 members of GenZ in the U.S., the cohort of people born between 1997 and 2012 who make everyone else on the planet feel geriatric by comparison. The teens said they spend $2,600 per year, which works out to $77 billion if stretched across the entire teen population of the U.S.

Teen boys in particular spent the most on games, while teen girls spent 1% of their budget on video games. That's in stark contrast to the gender breakdown of gamers across the age spectrum, which, according to a study by gaming industry research firm Statista, shows that gamers are 55% male and 45% female.

According to Piper Jaffray analyst Mike Olson, the difference might have to do with the age of the respondents. Women tend to play games on mobile platforms, Olson said, and mobile gamers tend to be older, which is why the teen survey shows gaming skew so heavily toward males.

Interestingly, while free-to-play games were once seen as a potential threat to the established premium games market, the Piper Jaffray survey shows that free-to-play titles could spur teens to actually spend more on paid games.

I rarely buy physical copies anymore. I actually think I'm completely done with physical media for games myself, outside of retro stuff.

Some good data from that survey overall.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Turns out pressing a button while wearing underpants is easier than having to leave the house, who knew.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
we're clearly too old here those of us who prefer physical.
Teens aren't on forums, by and large. Forums not known as Reddit will skew older.

Idk, I see many people here also gone digital completely.

The issue is that DD will be normal this generation. Discs will look very archaic.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
The benefits of physical simply isn't there anymore. The nostalgic feeling of having manuals for example is gone. Now it's just a boring piece of plastic with no excitement when you open it.

I remember having something to read when Oblivion came out on Xbox for example.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get it. I love buying a game for $60, finishing it, turning it around and selling it for $40 and putting that $40 towards another new game. Making that new game, practically $20.00...and doing that over and over in essense.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
This study is bullshit lol.

There is no way the average 13-19 year old makes approx 20k after tax lmfao

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
The benefits of physical simply isn't there anymore. The nostalgic feeling of having manuals for example is gone. Now it's just a boring piece of plastic with no excitement when you open it.

Main benefits have always been resale for me. I buy digital with no issue, but I'm a bit more picky and more apt to wait for a sale going that route.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I just don't get it. I love buying a game for $60, finishing it, turning it around and selling it for $40 and putting that $40 towards another new game. Making that new game, practically $20.00...and doing that over and over in essense.
Most people don't sell games

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This study is bullshit lol.

There is no way the average 13-19 year old makes approx 20k after tax lmfao
Is that saying that kids spend $2600 a year on games? That doesn't seem right. But I thought maybe it was saying that was their disposable income for the whole year and the boys spend like half on games and girls spend 1 percent on it.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

You are buying/playing too many games and do not represent the market at large. The vast majority of people are not buying anywhere close to that many games (see attach rates) where they are seeing the same benefits as you.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I do the same, but buy at £35-£40 and trade in at £33-£36, at least with the games I don't want to keep or know I won't be playing again any time soon. But apparently it's too much effort for some, and others simply don't care for trade ins or selling. It's possible many teens or whatever only buy casual centric games like COD, Fifa etc, thus keep them for a year to the point where trade ins aren't as viable.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
What parent is giving their teen 200 a month for video games?
I don't know the methodology, but stuff like new consoles, PC parts, and such may be included. That can skew the average up easily.

Also, don't underestimate privileged people. I've seen way more generous budgets for other things. The sample cohort matters here.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
40% of teenagers have good taste? That sounds about right.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
If next gen had a diskless option with a larger HDD I would buy that in a heartbeat..... even if it as more expensive. I can't even remember when last I saw a game disc.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Those are some rich ass kids. I used to scrounge pawn shops for $5-15 used games since they were cheaper than EBgames. And then sell my old consoles+games to buy new ones when the time came - it's why I militantly kept all my boxes and manuals in pristine condition.

Back then I would've been vehemently opposed to the concept of digital games. Now, it's most of what I buy because I can afford that luxury. I haven't bought anything in a game store since...uh...that time I didn't want to wait for a delivery of Xenoblade X? Though I guess if I were young and dirt poor these days I'd be way into F2P. There's a lot of great F2P games out there.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the methodology, but stuff like new consoles, PC parts, and such may be included. That can skew the average up easily.

Also, don't underestimate privileged people. I've seen way more generous budgets for other things. The sample cohort matters here.

I'm just going to assume the article is sloppily written. The way that paragraph is laid out gives the implication that 2600 a year is the gaming budget, but probably the study is saying the kids have a total "allowance" or earnings of 2600 a year. Otherwise the study is completely bogus, it's just an impossibly high budget for kids without earnings or retail/fast food jobs

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

Less and less reason to hold on to physical when games require connections and a host of patches. When those servers go down, those discs will be pretty useless too

If it wasn't for gcu (mine ends next year) and target b2g1 sales I woulda gone digital a long time ago

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Perform or Perish. Isn't that capitalism's big theme? After years of being the biggest dog in the yard and using said opportunity to rip people off, you won't find any sympathy from me beyond the workers on the ground level who face the axe.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah it's also what turned me away from physical, It's just useless cheap plastic box.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even a teen and I prefer digital! This gen I'm easily 90% digital, and probably a little bit higher. Last gen I only had a handful of digital games. It's just more convenient, I'm probably getting lazier, and I've got a ton of game, DVD, and blu-ray cases lying around and I don't need any more.

edit: and yeah, the elimination of manuals didn't help.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Not surprising.

I wanted to get my GF a gift for us, I bought Marvel Ulitmate Alliance 2 for PS3. Except that disc didn't work. Returned it, got another, disc didn't work. I'm just gonna get my money back.

If only there was a digital release..... Physical sucks.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Not just kids, I know plenty of people who've switched to digital. Nowadays there are sooooo many deals and flash sales that it's almost pointless to buy physical day one unless you're unable to wait. People are also switching to save space and get rid of clutter. They're only buying physical for games they know they love or want the physical extras. But digital seems to be the preferred option.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017

If you're getting $40 for a game, how much free time do you spend playing? Games go down in trade in value fast.

This reads like a fringe example not being self aware.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
When there's 15gb day one patches, and game disc installs, what's the point of physical? It's literally a disc permission slip at this point.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty certain they'll go the way of Blockbuster, Tower Records and other big box stores that relied on specific forms of physical media.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
New age kids with their game on their cell phones don't want physical. I dropped physical when i stop gaming on consoles 10 years ago. Physical is just too much of a hassle and the fact you have to switch a game in and out when you want to play it, rather than just clicking the game over another.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
There was

It got delisted last year

Well, that's more my fault, as if had bought it, I could still download it.

Fuck, I bought Scott Pilgrim as a digital code after it was delisted years ago and its survived more than one PS3 that I've had.

Discs can always break and then your fucked. I've never had a digital game dislisted that I still couldn't download later, I've been digital since 2008 on the PC. (yes, PT but I never downloaded it)

Ask me if I can install Silent Hill 3 anymore? Oh wait, I can't because one of the discs got damaged by accident.

Anyone who's been "burned" more by digital than issues with physical systems/games/bespoke equipment.... little bit sus in my book.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Aye, the day digital completely moves in is the day I fully retire to retro gaming. I've been burned way too many times now. God knows how bad it's going to get when we give companies even more leeway than before.

Oct 25, 2017
I recently started with GameFly. Maybe that's a decent alternative to this?