OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I could have been in a bubble but I remember Sandra's run in game changers being very well received by the casual audience

Yeah, I'm one of those "always hated Sandra" people, but I did really enjoy her in Game Changers. Back to not really caring for her this season, and would much prefer for her to go over a better character like Tyson. Not that it was an option last night. It's not that I dislike her as a character, so much as I don't think she earned her second win at all. And now she has what I consider to be an undeserved giant ego as a result.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sandra's GC run is worth it for this gif alone.

Game-Changers-Sandra-breaks-the-fourth-wall-JT-coffee-incident.gif

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I love Tyson, but giving Nick the Fire Token is such an impulsive Tyson thing to do. He should have given it to Rob or maybe even Sarah to hopefully help keep them in the game, so that he actually has an ally to return to if he makes it back from the Edge. Helping Nick's game doesn't benefit Tyson at all.

The Edge of Extinction stuff was compelling in a vacuum this week, but it's not Survivor. Won't stop whining, sorry.

Dakal is such a good vibes tribe, so I'm glad we got another episode centering on this group before the swap. This was probably the most likeable Sarah has ever been? Her scenes with Tyson were hilarious, and the dynamic she has with Tony continues to be great as well. Love that they have a secret handshake lol.

I can't say I'm loving how things are being presented on the other side, though. Adam's presence has been pretty overwhelming so far, and Jeremy playing second fiddle to Michele's dull growth arc is hella lame. Meanwhile Denise and to a lesser extent Parvati are just kind of there and not being shown doing much. Meh.

The boot order is starting to make me nervous, especially with a potential tribe swap into three tribes of five coming up, which is a configuration that just invites swapfucks. As much as I hate Edge, I'd honestly prefer for someone to return now so we can have two tribes of eight instead.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The boot order is starting to make me nervous, especially with a potential tribe swap into three tribes of five coming up, which is a configuration that just invites swapfucks. As much as I hate Edge, I'd honestly prefer for someone to return now so we can have two tribes of eight instead.
The only thing worse that Jeff's love of personal growth stories on the Edge at the expense of Survivor gameplay is Jeff's love of swap screwing players into situations where they're punished for having played a good game up until that point.

Seeing how Jeff is Jeff, I fully expect to see 1 or 2 former winners outright hosed over the next couple weeks. Probably someone in a good position on Dakal who hasn't been sold an advantage like Sandra or Sarah.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least Sandra is safe for whenever her next tribal is since her idol is only good for the next one.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
The criticism is deserved. We spent almost half of this past episode on a snoozefest of a challenge. For the concept to work, the challenges have to be fun to watch. But what did we get last night? Climb up and bring 20 pieces of wood back down one at a time. I don't think it's asking too much that they come up with something more interesting for these people to do than what amounts to mindless drudgery.

I thought the EOE segment was great this episode, although it could have been edited a bit tighter. Normally i kind of tune out in challenges, but this one was engaging on an emotional level. Survivor would be boring if it was just about gameplay all the time.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing worse that Jeff's love of personal growth stories on the Edge at the expense of Survivor gameplay is Jeff's love of swap screwing players into situations where they're punished for having played a good game up until that point.

Seeing how Jeff is Jeff, I fully expect to see 1 or 2 former winners outright hosed over the next couple weeks. Probably someone in a good position on Dakal who hasn't been sold an advantage like Sandra or Sarah.

I'm one hundred percent calling Wendell getting swap screwed.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
This is what you get when you show almost nothing from the game itself.

Australian Survivor kind of has the opposite problem right now.
Too much footage despite a boring as fuck post-merge game script.

Yeah I've noticed that Australian survivor makes it painfully obvious who the boot will be, to the point that tribal becomes boring. Especially since they tend to be long af. The American version tries to be vague to build suspense. They have their pros and cons.

The Australian version in theory gives us a better ideal of how the vote came together at the cost of suspense. The American version leaves us in the dark for motives, and how the votes aligned, but gives us more exciting tribals. I'd prefer a good middle ground between the two.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5 person tribes are godawful. They need to stop doing that. Do 3x6 or don't do it at all.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Why are they besmirching the Sandra bench? She'd be a physical liability for her team in those comps' and she's simply being a team player by acknowledging this fact.

I believe she's now tied Courtney's lifetime "challenge sit out" record so it'll be hers alone after one more sit out (probably isn't happening next week due to the swap unless we're sticking with 2 tribes with uneven numbers).

Right? Like, Sandra is a short, plump 45 year old office worker. She does stuff around camp, works her social game, and does challenges with puzzles. She's just going to hold physical group challenges back, especially right now. Take the seat if it's available and let the workhorses work haha.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Right? Like, Sandra is a short, plump 45 year old office worker. She does stuff around camp, works her social game, and does challenges with puzzles. She's just going to hold physical group challenges back, especially right now. Take the seat if it's available and let the workhorses work haha.

Pretty much.

4JkDjRY.jpg

WQMscHr.jpg

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
What i find funny i Sandra saying that she would not vote with emotion but both times she has voted with emotion.

Eh we can't really say that too much. Both vote outs were pretty unanimous. Sandra was supposed to go against those even though both were smart moves? Anything could have been her actual reasoning for the vote, the edit just chose to stick on that aspect. It's not like she was really driving the votes.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Man that episode was wild.

So seeing Survivor come into it's 40th season and it being all winnders (surprisingly enough, a commercial at the dentist's office when I was with my mom) piqued my curiosity, I watched a few random seasons because I used to watch back in the day. Religiously until at least All-Stars, and then sporadically until Samoa (because I remember Russell the god). So I went back and watched HvV which good god is outSTANDING television and a concept I would love to see return for another veteran season should another happen, Redemption Island which was boring as sin though I enjoyed the concept (and I know it comes back but I don't have interest in Ozzy vs Coach as a storyline despite how fun they are as people and characters), and Fans vs Favorites which was great fun (barring people not knowing how to deal with Chet being gay). Little burnt out right now so I'll just stick with WaW as it comes out.

Anyways this season's been a blast so far. I know a lot of the talk, in and out of this thread has been about the Edge of Extinction scene and the time devoted to it, but I just want to point out that I feel like Adam has had a weird redemption arc in this episode, right? Like his scurrying around camp and playing the "I'm sorry" game paid off with being the only one to snag keys and help make the legendary-ass come back. And also seeing Sandra mad thrown off by that Kim vote made me chuckle.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to point out that I feel like Adam has had a weird redemption arc in this episode, right? Like his scurrying around camp and playing the "I'm sorry" game paid off with being the only one to snag keys and help make the legendary-ass come back. And also seeing Sandra mad thrown off by that Kim vote made me chuckle.

I feel like Adam could almost be a losing finalist. It's going to depend who he's swapped with in this upcoming episode. We've gotten a lot of screentime of Jeremy saying he needs Adam out because he's too all over the place. So I feel like they'll be swapped together. The real question is, is the edit tricking us and Adam wins that battle?

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Adam could almost be a losing finalist. It's going to depend who he's swapped with in this upcoming episode. We've gotten a lot of screentime of Jeremy saying he needs Adam out because he's too all over the place. So I feel like they'll be swapped together. The real question is, is the edit tricking us and Adam wins that battle?
I mean Jeremy's in a power spot because of the advantage he has and with his alliance with Michele, he's just let her do all the work and all anyone has done is come to him. He's just had to sit in one place and tell people what he wants, and it finally worked with Ethan.

So until he has to pop that he's good. Adam is in people's good graces, they've one a challenge, and as long as he learned his lesson he's in a spot where he can get the heat off of him for awhile.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Survivor tonight!

And (I'm not spoiled) but.. is Tony winning this thing? Can dreams really come true?

Also, beautiful (cut?) scene of Yul discussing Penner's situation:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I had no idea. My father had ALS from like 1992 until he died about 5 years ago, so that was tough to watch.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I had no idea. My father had ALS from like 1992 until he died about 5 years ago, so that was tough to watch.

I'm very sorry to hear it. There are a bunch of really touching but hard to watch videos of Penner speaking on the subject. I love Yul so much for saying that if he wins, he'll donate the money to ALS research. <3

EDIT: So, the clip is from tonight's episode apparently. Mike Bloom did a writeup with a new Yul interview ahead of the episode.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, Yul really is the best (from another interview):

EW: When we spoke the day before the game began, you mentioned that if you made it to the end, you were thinking of offering to donate your winnings to ALS research in honor of Stacy and asking CBS to do a dollar to dollar match. With that in mind, what were you thinking on day 1 when you found out the grand prize was actually $2 million?

Yul: My first thought was, "Dang, I should have just said I was going to donate a million dollars instead of all my winnings." I'm just kidding, of course. Well, mostly. No, no, I'm kidding.

Seriously, though, I was thinking that $2 million could really make a difference in terms of funding ALS research and support. And then I thought my mom would probably kill me if I gave away $2 million dollars. And then I thought maybe I could tell my mom that I was on a special charity edition of Survivor where you couldn't actually keep any money. And then I thought why am I stressing out so much about my mother? And then I thought I really shouldn't have skipped that last appointment with my therapist.

Yul: I'm a bit nervous about how all this is going to be shown on television, I don't think I've ever cried on camera before. I wonder if people will be surprised to find I've upgraded my Yulbot operating system with emotional software that includes a crying subroutine.

Feb 8, 2020
I've been really enjoying this season so far. I'm hardcore rooting for Yul. It's been a little over six years since I watched his original season and I forgot how much I liked him. I like so much of the cast, though, so I'd be fine with a lot of them winning. There are definitely a few I'd hate to see win again though (Ben).

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're considering something like filming in the US or Canada as an emergency consideration.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Yul is boring....

Agree that most of the cast would be a fine winner, though.

Just not Adam / Ben / Nick.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nick would be kind of hilarious given that he Adam'd his way to a win in his season because they couldn't justify giving the money to Mike given Mike's wealth.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I think Nick is a better player than Adam. Nick was the good ol country boy who's fun to hang out with, while Adam was more like the little brother people looked out for. I think Nick's game is far more repeatable. I don't think they're super similar other than being recent winners a portion of the fanbase dislike.

Nick's biggest problem is his temper, and laziness around camp. Adam's is playing too hard.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Nick was so much fun to watch in his winning season. Running around, making special one-on-one alliances, giving them silly names. It was the best.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nick's been fun to see again and is a new winner that I can tolerate more than some of the others.

Adam...Adam hasn't done much to impress me so far.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason the OP says this isn't a good season to jump in? I feel like this would be like another other reality shows like what MTV produces where you can just jump into any season and watch them play it out.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Sarah and Sophie would be swap-screwed under normal circumstances.
But they at least wound up with the 3 Seles with the least reason to work with one another... which I'm sure they'll work out in no time flat.

Seems reasonable to assume another former Sele goes home this week.

Also, we did not see whether Kim and Sophie connected their idol before the swap.

Having three unique tribes AND the Edge of Extinction now is going to suck ass.
As much as I applaud CBS and Survivor for going to bat for ALS, it might have been better to save that plug for a less busy week.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck man...ALS is so shitty...I loved Penner when I watched Cook Island. To see that, and the beginning of this episode...jesus.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
This tribe swap is the fucking best.

Kim in a swing position between Jeremy/Denise and Tony/Sandra
Yul in the dominant alliance, but with Wendell/Michelle drama
The three absolute worst Sele to be in a majority with Rob, Ben, and Adam and Sophie finding an idol

I don't think this twist could have ended up any better.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Grateful for no Edge so far this week.
Also, Sophie continues to kick ass.

That new Dakal tribe could be interesting given Kim's tenuous placement in her original tribe.
May wind up screwing over Sandra. Guess we'll find out soon... Queen won't be able to man her bench and sit out of this week's challenge.