• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
One player, who is hated by all despite the edit not showing why, hopelessly trying to get others to play a smart game is the defining feature of the new age of Survivor.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON

View: https://youtu.be/UJViRYI243g

On an unrelated note, I want to go on record that as revered as Boston Rob is at the game of Survivor, I've never really enjoyed watching him... play Survivor. He was all kinds of cocky and undisciplined in Marquesas, All-Stars was kind of unpleasant to watch, he got snuffed out early in Heroes vs. Villains, Redemption Island was an unsatisfying cakewalk, Island of the Idols would've been best served had we just watched Rob and Sandra play house on the island for 6 weeks instead of watching the season and he was pretty much a footnote in Winners at War.

I've really only enjoyed him watching him in Amazing Race up until now... and that was largely due to seeing the unique ways he could incorporate Survivor-style social engineering into an Amazing Race framework. His best skillset has always been how to approach an existing game structure and bend it to his advantage and TAR was a good showcase for that. Or at least it was the best showcase for it until now.

Deal or No Deal Island has made Rob inimitably rootable via a Survivor-like format that is both unique and yet fully untested. Rob has never had a bond so endearing in reality as his big brother role to Aron and it's been a blast seeing him find ways to bend a brand new game to his benefit in ways that I'm sure will not be matched in future seasons should they run this back a 2nd time... and yet still also come off as somewhat of an underdog. It's been a real fun watch... even if the Deal or No Deal structure of each episode is a clear anchor. Well, except for this week, when an outright altercation blew up mid-game making it fun to watch everyone squirm.

In short, I'm not sure whether Deal or No Deal Island works without Rob Mariano. But it's doing more for Rob than just about any other reality series has thus far. They just need to ensure they get some larger than life reality personalities for future efforts... but not too many so it doesn't devolve into just being Traitors US. It's the mix of fresh civ blood with a reality staple like Rob that works so well here.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Feel pretty good about making up ground in fantasy this week.
The only players in my active lineup I don't mirror with WhySoDevious this week just won immunity.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Everything about this tribal council is telling me one thing... Bhanu was right.
Kenzie is a mega threat that is effortlessly worming her way into everyone's long-term game script.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this tribal council is telling me one thing... Bhanu was right.
Kenzie is a mega threat that is effortlessly worming her way into everyone's long-term game script.

Yep.

I hope she is the winner because she's actually getting a big edit as a winner that usually doesn't happen for women.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
GCTMQnJXoAE9OVB.jpg

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Is Venus going to make it to the end now since no one is going to think she'll get any jury votes? Who hasn't called her sneaky etc... at this point?
She could ride that reputation into Top 3 goat status... provided she's able to sell folks on at least being a reliable vote. If she goes full agent of chaos mode and tries to wield agency in an otherwise hopeless game script situation, then she's probably not going to be kept around. It's not like goats are hard to find in New Era Survivor... we've got "I own 5 businesses" Liz right there as one that can at least be relied upon to not make waves.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Her smile was so hilarious. Soda was like, "It was you" and she was like, "You know it!" Lol. Same thing I said last week, I don't know what people see in Venus.

Was hilarious.

I dunno, I like her. She's obviously totally off the vibe and on the outs and isn't going to get anywhere other than being a goat, but I kind of like her and feel bad for her.

rainier

Oct 19, 2023
Just curious, how do you guys watch this in real time? It's always delayed by a day on paramount plus.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Venus' neverending delusions of grandeur are so dang funny. I hope she sticks around so she can "control the vote" every week. What a mover and shaker. 🤣

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I had the immunity challenge spoiled because a guy on Twitter noticed that in one of the promo reels last week they showed Kenzi wearing the immunity idol. And he posted a zoomed in image of it....lol (Way to go marketing team!)

At least I didn't know who won the other one!

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like this season is finally getting good, or at least all of the really weak players are finally out.

This just makes me even more mad about how bad Bhanu turned out to be. Could've played a smart game if he wasn't melting down and being annoying every 5 seconds.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
im actually friends with the creator of Survivor..glad to see its still going strong!
Tell Mark Burnett hello and pass along our thanks for giving us the greatness that is Survivor and Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader.

Also, tell him to go fuck himself for also giving us The Apprentice when he really should've put Trump on Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader first and then cancelled the idea of The Apprentice when Trump inevitably failed to outperform a 10-year-old.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the best episode of the season so far, and next episode should be a banger.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Back in 1st for fantasy this week. And tied for 13th overall on Tribal-Council.com.
Hoping I can crack the overall Top 10 at some point given that there's only two other players ahead of me with a full squad of 8 live players.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who missed last week and will miss this week due to travel, what is the best way to catch up? Please don't say Paramount+

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
The UI on my PC is about as bad as Amazons (though it's easier to find shit on Paramount+) but dear god on the PS5 the UI is so bad I can't even use it. I don't know how they think it is ok, it just lags constantly.

I've said before I think, but on my LG it takes 56 seconds to scroll through menus to get to the latest episode. And you have to because it doesn't realize you finished the last episode when you get to the credits. And you also have to turn subtitles on every time.

It's so fucking bad. If I didn't get it free, I wouldn't have it. But every time I try to cancel they give me 2 months free.

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
It's that one Survivor episode a season where the tribal council gets hyped up as wacky because all of the others suck. Whereas Australian Survivor will give us tribals like tonight just about each and every episode (and with actual decent Survivor gameplay to go along with it).

Get excited, folks!

I know I say this all the time, but some of you should probably just stop watching Survivor.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
There's no reason to accept mediocrity even if the mediocrity is still worth watching.
In Survivor US's defense, the vast majority of US-based reality TV franchises right now are creatively bankrupt and terrible. So Probst has company.thanks to the bar of excellence being lowered to such a degree.

Not every show can be Traitors UK, Australian Survivor or Race Across the World... but hey, I'm certainly all ears if there are worthy alternatives. I can even get enjoyment out of something that isn't exactly good but is at least something new/different... like Deal or No Deal Island.

Plus, watching the mediocre efforts makes you appreciate the excellent stuff that pops up when you least expect it. Like X-Men '97 after the past 5 years of the MCU.