Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We were recently made aware of a post on Reddit that included leaked documents from the UK. We investigated this account and the accounts connected to it, and today we believe this was part of a campaign that has been reported as originating from Russia.

Earlier this year Facebook discovered a Russian campaign on its platform, which was further analyzed by the Atlantic Council and dubbed "Secondary Infektion." Suspect accounts on Reddit were recently reported to us, along with indicators from law enforcement, and we were able to confirm that they did indeed show a pattern of coordination. We were then able to use these accounts to identify additional suspect accounts that were part of the campaign on Reddit. This group provides us with important attribution for the recent posting of the leaked UK documents, as well as insights into how adversaries are adapting their tactics.

In late October, an account u/gregoratior posted the leaked documents and later reposted by an additional account u/ostermaxnn. Additionally, we were able to find a pocket of accounts participating in vote manipulation on the original post. All of these accounts have the same shared pattern as the original Secondary Infektion group detected, causing us to believe that this was indeed tied to the original group.

Click the link to see a list of the accounts banned. It is really interesting to go through the account history and see what they have been posting, especially the memes:

thrjatrbjnu31.jpg

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if the Russian troll farms have a few members active here too.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing how they handled Russian operatives using The_Donald - they were more upset that this got public than anything else - I'm not shocked the site is full of this now...

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Notice that they're working both sides of the extremist coin.
Of course. Their aim is to seed chaos and division in all parts of US society. This is and has been their doctrine.

Getting a puppet into office is a nice bonus but their main goal is to paralyze the US system due to division.

It's literally written down in a book since 1997.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The Chinese troll farms are probably active here as well.
It wouldn't surprise me if the Russian troll farms have a few members active here too.
I don't think so, it would not be a very high value target as moderation would be quick to find anything like that, and there are few enough users they would stand out like a sore thumb, plus it's not as easy to spread things from here to the outside and signal boost. Reddit and FB and the like are great for that because you can mass create accounts to switch between and signal boost your own content, it very shareable, and it's easy to go under the radar for a long time and build things up slowly. It's not worth their time on a site like this when there are so many way easier targets that offer more for their money and time.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Probably.

On Facebook I've called out ones in the last few months regurgitating a made up story of "some black kid" shooting dogs in the backyard very recently with a changing police case id. It works...a lot. Lots of subconscious racism riles up people to believe such absurd things. If a white kid did it people would ask why isn't there local news about it? Why would anyone do such a thing? I report to moderators but it takes 1 to 2 hours typically. Straight out of their Soviet politics book.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Oh, they're still there. GO to the old forum (or rather, don't and take my word for it) and you see the place has become A LOT friendlier to Putin now...

I remember at some point the old forum made headlines because it was pretty high in the list of websites that visitors of Hillary Clinton's site came from. That probably put it on the Russian radar. Then the forum almost overnight fell in love with fascism and imploded.

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how I feel about such leaks made by these people. Without them, we wouldn't know about dodgy healthcare deals designed to fuck the NHS, but on the other hand, they're trying to sow discord between two world powers in the hopes that Russia can keep on trucking forward.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Oh hello fellow fans of democracy and freedom. Clearly there are no manatees in Mother Russia so you can trust me, Johnny American, to root for the rights of all the people.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Notice that they're working both sides of the extremist coin.
there was this ex kgb doc in the 90s. Talking about dismantling targets and America from the inside. Everything in 2016 has been that gameplay. Esp the both sides part. I'll try to find it. If you Google it it's a thin Russian guy with thick glasses giving a talk to a class at the FBI.. or something

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
It's always blamed on the Russians, I bet it's really Rudy working with the Ukraine Gov trying to find the real constitution before a crazy thief gets it.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
When members start campaigning for a live action remake of Anastasia it's going to be incredibly difficult to tell one group of viral influencers from another.
Not sure, Anastasia seems fairly pro Romanov, so wouldn't modern day Russian trolls (Soviet nostalgic, and presumably anti royalist) be against the move to make a remake?

Other

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if the russians were being behind the think tank, to accuse people they didn't like of being russians.

Layers upon layers.
I know you're joking but i'm going to write out a serious reply to try and aleviate my 1am(sorry almost 2 now) brain snakes:
The think tank, Bellingcat, is run by a bloke called Elliot Higgins whose previous biggest accomplishment in life before hand was being a moderator(Brown Moses) of the Debate and Discussion subforum of the Something Awful Forums and blogging/posting a lot about the News International phone hacking scandal. He was still a moderator for several years after starting Bellingcat and he wasn't particuarly well liked to say the least(total power tripper, agree with him or eat some time off posting). The think tank itself made a name for itself with pro-western interests material and if they're backed by any state power it's the US. In this scandal their intervention is mostly to throw doubt on the veracity of the leaked documents by throwing the big 'R' around and given that the documents are real as far as anyone can tell(Labour spent time verifying them before revealing them to the public) this should be seen as an attempt to interfere in the election via proxy by The US in favour of BoJo's bozo Conservatives