• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cystm

Very much doubt they had those people in mind at all. Having a white protagonist is not an automatic appeal to gamergaters/alt right.

Yeah, in a universe filled with aliens, females, poc, of which have largely been untapped into - like EVER as a main character- Having yet another white dude is inherently appealing to those shitty people. Using Rey as a reason to not have another female lead only makes that more clearly the case.

I mean, you don't have to like that that is the case, but to deny it is foolish and harmful to ever get out of having a default white guy in every game always.

Oct 31, 2017
And yet I was immediately turned off by that trailer where they revealed the generic white boy protagonist.

Yeah. The level of obliviousness to not realize that shoving white male protagonists after white male protagonists down our throats is alienating is insane.

There zero chance I spend any money on this game and I will avoid buying games by EA in general too

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Even this statement is quite the leap. Define... "shitty people."
Very much doubt they had those people in mind at all. Having a white protagonist is not an automatic appeal to gamergaters/alt right.

Who do you think game companies have in mind when they say "let's go with the white dude, we don't want to lose out on money from people who are deterred from playing as a white woman/poc". Not all white male consumers are "gamergaters/alt right", but EA and Respawn likely assume that a sizeable demographic are less likely to buy a game with someone who's not a white dude. And what do we say about a demographic who doesn't like playing games that doesn't have a white male protagonist?

Honestly not sure why you keep on stanning for Respawn or EA in this thread. It's an uninspired choice for a protagonist in a universe already filled to the brim with white Jedis (look at Htown's list) and Stig's excuse in this thread is dumb and at worst, racist and sexist.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Yeah. The level of obliviousness to not realize that shoving white male protagonists after white male protagonists down our throats is alienating is insane.

There zero chance I spend any money on this game and I will avoid buying games by EA in general too
You dont think diversity in games has gotten much better this gen ?

I think it has.

Are you not going to buy any games with white leads ?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, in a universe filled with aliens, females, poc, of which have largely been untapped into - like EVER as a main character- Having yet another white dude is inherently appealing to those shitty people.
No it's not, jesus christ. Especially not for games that actually have a diverse cast of characters which was a willing choice that the devs made.

Do you think a white lead is supposed to be some awesome or unique selling point to me or something?
How about we stop reducing leads down to their skin color? Especially considering that the character in question is a literal scan of an actual person. Cameron Monaghan is a good actor and is clearly excited to be a part of the project.

Who do you think game companies have in mind when they say "let's go with the white dude, we don't want to lose out on money from people who are deterred from playing as a white woman/poc"
Literally no one said that having a woman or PoC protagonist would be offputting. Especially not when in the first demo, they actively choose to have him interacting with multiple PoC and show that even a scene of background characters will be diverse. The latter takes lots of time, money and manpower, the former is a deliberate decision made by the people behind the game.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
"And ultimately we didnt go with alien race...we felt like, no pun intended, it would alienate a lot of people. We wanted to make sure there was a real human connection to the character that we have in the game."

F3c4DrP.jpg

People felt connected to this robot and it barely has a face. These comments by Stig do not instill confidence in their creativity.
They had actual quality writers for that. Noy to disd the writers of this game, but you cant just pick quality works and say 'they made it work'

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Something tells me if the protagonist of the new Star Wars films had been Male that this game still would have had a Male protagonist.

Can you imagine if media companies actually worked like this? A movie has a White Male protagonist so the game it's based on gets a Woman/POC protag or vice versa? Would instantly fix a lot of representation problems.
I could see Disney wanting the protag to be male as to not confuse her with Rey (she is their creation after all) but to your point, the opposite mandate would not exist at all. This is a game where a create a character would have gone a long way and probably wouldn't have affected the narrative in any meaningful way.

Oct 26, 2017
but EA and Respawn likely assume that a sizeable demographic are less likely to buy a game with someone who's not a white dude.

The same EA that published two games without male white dudes; one with a female asian lead and a black female lead and they showed BF V with a huge number of different charaters and they also had a female lead in a BF campaign and a PoC in another story? The same Respawn that made a game with a lot of ethnicities and it's their biggest game so far?

You are reaching

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's gotten better sure, but for Star Wars? Guess not so much.
Literally the last few SW protagonists of big SW were comprised of POC/aliens though? Ahsoka, Ezra, Iden Versio, and Kazuda. It's genuinely night and day with how diverse SW is compared to back in the OT days or even the expanded universe and even then, a white male protagonist is not automatically generic by default. Context matters otherwise we lose all nuance and the overall message is hurt as a result.

EA and Respawn likely assume that a sizeable demographic are less likely to buy a game with someone who's not a white dude.
The same EA that literally spent 10 of millions of dollars advertising and publishing the last SW game with a campaign?
iden-versio_945333fa.jpeg

And before I get yet another reply about "oh so the quota is filled" uh no. It's called context matters.

Oct 31, 2017
How about we stop reducing leads down to their skin color? Especially considering that the character in question is a literal scan of an actual person. Cameron Monaghan is a good actor and is clearly excited to be a part of the project.

That's fantastic for Cameron but I'm sick of playing as white guys in video games and I wouldn't waste my time or money on playing as yet another white guy, regardless of whoever Monaghan is

That's not the science fantasy I want to spend my money and time on, ever. I'd rather create my own playable characters or enjoy a good actor from a less represented background that isn't always shoved down our throats in movies, games, tv shows, comics, etc like white protagansits

How I feel about the characters I'm interested in has nothing to do with some actor you like, seriously

Oct 25, 2017
Literally the last few SW protagonists of big SW were comprised of POC/aliens though? Ahsoka, Ezra, Iden Versio, and Kazuda. It's genuinely night and day with how diverse SW is compared to back in the OT days or even the expanded universe and even then, a white male protagonist is not automatically generic by default. Context matters otherwise we lose all nuance and the overall message is hurt as a result.

The same EA that literally spent 10 of millions of dollars advertising and publishing the last SW game with a campaign?
iden-versio_945333fa.jpeg

And before I get yet another reply about "oh so the quota is filled" uh no. It's called context matters.

Pretty sure those characters aren't in games and even then, that doesn't really address the shitty ass quote in the OP.

Like they fucking looked at Rey being a female and that was a factor. How the fuck is that remotely defensive?

What a bunch of shit.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure those characters aren't in games and even then
Iden Versio is the protagonist of Battlefront 2. I'm talking about SW media in general. The MT fiasco really did a good job at making sure no one paid attention to how progressive that game was.

That's not the science fantasy I want to spend my money and time on, ever.
Then don't? But fair warning it means your opinions on the quality of the title and other pieces of media won't be taken seriously in the future. 🤷‍♂️

Any aliens you play as would be human looking.
And people who think otherwise would be the first ones to complain if they were to introduce a character who looked like this as a protagonist in....anything really.
latest

maxresdefault.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Iden Versio is the protagonist of Battlefront 2. I'm talking about SW media in general. The MT fiasco really did a good job at making sure no one paid attention to how progressive that game was.

Then don't? But fair warning it means your opinions on the quality of the title and other pieces of media won't be taken seriously in the future. 🤷‍♂️

Cool. One character and now this game featuring a white male protagonist because the movies have a female lead.

I'm glad we are making such massive headway.

Oct 31, 2017

I don't recall ever speaking to the quality of gameplay or anything like that. All my posts on this game have been expressing disappointment at the same ol white male lead being the playable character

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't recall ever speaking to the quality of gameplay or anything like that. All my posts on this game have been expressing disappointment at the same ol white male lead being the playable character
I literally made multiple detailed posts about how this dude isn't "just another white male lead" in the context of video games. Unless we reduce it down to specifically the fact that the character is white. That's not the right way to approach the topic of diversity. It retroactively reduces characters who are examples of diversity down to the color of their skin because they're not specifically a PoC. Take a character like this:
7EEABBEF189A74BCF18AA50C1DBB6EC45D8E35A6

"Just another white dude ofc" You might think at a glance. But that ignores the part where they specifically changed his backstory to match the background of the actor who played him, resulting in a Welsh character, a culture that is not highly represented in this medium at all. Context matters and things won't get better if we respond vitriolically everytime a character is white and male without acknowledging the context or worse yet, that they only did so because they'd wanna appeal to the altright/GG section of gaming. The quality of discussion should be better than that.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you have no intention of actually defending the horrendously shitty quote in the OP by Stig because you realize such reasoning is trash and indefensible.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that you missed the multiple posts i've made in this thread where I explicitly stated that I wasn't defending his choice of words. 😃

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I literally made multiple detailed posts about how this dude isn't "just another white male lead" in the context of video games. Unless we reduce it down to specifically the fact that the character is white. That's not the right way to approach the topic of diversity.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that you missed the multiple posts i've made in this thread where I explicitly stated that I wasn't defending his choice of words. 😃

No, I haven't read every response in this thread nor every post by you. I've seen the recent few and your first post (?) where someone asks why black female leads aren't an option and you go on about side characters for some reason as if that is remotely the same thing in context of the shitty quote.

Yes, fucking great that a black character is the mentor to a white protagonist who was chosen partly because Rey is female. Brilliant.

Oct 31, 2017
I literally made multiple detailed posts about how this dude isn't "just another white male lead" in the context of video games. Unless we reduce it down to specifically the fact that the character is white. That's not the right way to approach the topic of diversity.

I think it's presumptuous for you to tell me "the right way to approach the topic of diversity"

me saying "another generic white male protagonist" for Star Wars isn't "the real racism" or wherever you want to go with this

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
The same EA that published two games without male white dudes; one with a female asian lead and a black female lead and they showed BF V with a huge number of different charaters and they also had a female lead in a BF campaign and a PoC in another story? The same Respawn that made a game with a lot of ethnicities and it's their biggest game so far?

You are reaching

Yes, EA is a huge company that does a whole lot of calculated moves when it comes to approving games and their huge budgets. It has been known that ethnicity and gender are key factors when EA and other publishers greenlight a project that cost tens of millions of dollars. But maybe in this case it was more Respawn's own choice to have another white dude jedi for the gazillionth time. Too bad Respawn didn't carry their "diversity standards" from Apex Legends to Jedi Fallen, I guess. Too bad they didn't do that either with Titanfall 2's Jack protagonist either, where the female lead got scrapped because it would be too expensive. Priorities, I guess.

Literally no one said that having a woman or PoC protagonist would be offputting. Especially not when in the first demo, they actively choose to have him interacting with multiple PoC and show that even a scene of background characters will be diverse. The latter takes lots of time, money and manpower, the former is a deliberate decision made by the people behind the game.

That's an industry-wide sentiment though. And the white guy "interacting with multiple PoC" isn't going to change the fact that he's still the main face of the game and that's what the sentiment is about when it comes to sales. Again, not sure why you keep on defending the game, when it's a fact that video games have a problem with centering white characters, especially Star Wars games, and that the excuse by Stig in this thread is very poor and dumb.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Should have just let us customize the character then. Let us pick alien if we want, and if they couldn't afford male, female, alien/robot voice synthesizer, and him being a white human playes a part in his story oh well. The story better be some gripping and interesting thing then.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a very explicit difference between a character who's based on no one in particular:
latest

who got redesigned to look more generic after fan complaints that he didn't look like in the original game where he looked incredibly generic save for his yellow jacket:
latest

and a character that's literally a scan of a real life person.

Jerome_StarWarsJedi2.jpg

3522508-8.jpg

Like the actor can't change his face...and most studios don't do what ND does when it comes to designing characters. And htis isn't like a Sam Witwer situation where they took his face and then made him easily fit amongst video game archetypes:

I mean this is a video game. Not a live action movie. Video game characters don't have to look like their actors, that's one of the biggest benefit of being a video game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's presumptuous for you to tell me "the right way to approach the topic of diversity"
I give advice for better discourse.

That's an industry-wide sentiment though. And the white guy "interacting with multiple PoC" isn't going to change the fact that he's still the main face of the game and that's what the sentiment is about when it comes to sales.
I'm saying that we're literally targeting a game that's an explicit example of a game where the devs made an active efforts towards diversity and somehow all of that effort is supposed to be considered null and void because the protagonist is white. That genuinely doesn't make any sense.

Should have just let us customize the character then.
This isn't possible with the current Disney mandate that everything is canon. Also limited time and resources for development budget, this isn't an RPG and even if it was, playing as anything but none humanoids is a hard ask for a dev like Respawn.

I mean this is a video game. Not a live action movie. Video game characters don't have to look like their actors, that's one of the biggest benefit of being a video game.
You're right, video game characters don't have to look like their actors, this alien for example is very clearly an example of that:
PytzYd8.gif

but in the case of SW, unless it's a legacy character like Han Solo, Leia, Luke, etc. or an alien character like the above, they scan the actors in as they want the games at least visually, to look and feel as indistinguishable from the films as possible. But that's all beside the point that we're literally calling the face of a dude whose appearance wasn't even adjusted to fit into video game character design archetypes like Sam Witwer in Days Gone, generic.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. What a fucking nonsensical answer.

You know considering the good reaction normal people (not the "ReI IS a MArY SuE" internet whiners) had with Rei, maybe just maybe it'd have been cool to actually explore a female jedi on the game!

And holy shit at no Aliens. This shit is star wars ffs. This just proves these guys can only be deeply connected with white male protagonists. It's even more dumb when we live in an era where you can make a compelling interesting character out of anything, as long as the writing is good.

Keep being shit EA.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
The darkside is literally a corrosive force.

There's literally a black jedi in this game though?

It's like you continually ignore that we are talking about the protagonist. Not just any old character. The protagonist. Try it out. Say it out loud. See how it feels.

There's a very explicit difference between a character who's based on no one in particular:
latest

who got redesigned to look more generic after fan complaints that he didn't look like in the original game where he looked incredibly generic save for his yellow jacket:
latest

and a character that's literally a scan of a real life person.

Jerome_StarWarsJedi2.jpg

3522508-8.jpg

Like the actor can't change his face...and most studios don't do what ND does when it comes to designing characters. And htis isn't like a Sam Witwer situation where they took his face and then made him easily fit amongst video game archetypes:

So hire another actor. ::head explodes::

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I felt alienated by the white male protag more than any possible alien one. Having a female Star Wars protag in a videogame is not taking away the spotlight of Rey in a movie. Like this doesn't make sense as reasoning for when you have hundreds of male protagonists.

Let me guess Stig Asmussen is a white male?
latest

Yup.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying that we're literally targeting a game that's an explicit example of a game where the devs made an active efforts towards diversity and somehow all of that effort is supposed to be considered null and void because the protagonist is white. That genuinely doesn't make any sense.

What efforts? One token black mentor side character who is so obviously going to die it's not even funny?

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean ubi didn't just mention it on twitter, Jeffrey Yohalem wrote an entire sequence of missions with Jacob's explicit bisexuality, in this case, a physical and emotional attraction to a male character, in mind and directed the actor with that in mind. But I digress as that's pretty off topic. My further point, is that, we simply don't know much about the character enough to make a statement about whether or not he's interesting. And that he is an example of an atypical protagonist in a sea of very identifiable archetypes.
I didn't mean to imply that the writer only made Jacob bi after the fact. I do believe he intended him to be bi from the start. That being said, the missions you mention could basically be read to be entirely platonic from Jacob's side if you didn't know about the tweet so pretending like he was explicitly shown to be sexually attracted to another guy in the game is somewhat disingenuous.

He seems to be atypical in a very typical sort of way, though.

Cystm

No it's not, jesus christ. Especially not for games that actually have a diverse cast of characters which was a willing choice that the devs made.

"nO iTS nOt, iNsErT cHriStIaN gOd hErE. aFtER aLL tHeRe aRe tWo bLaCk pEoPle aNd aLiENS aS sUpPorTiNg cHaRaCTers."

That's not fucking good enough.

The white guy being the center of the story in every game/movie/etc has to be fucking done.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Battlefront 2 had a female lead. Not every game needs a female lead. I think him being boring generic white person is more worth noting.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't possible with the current Disney mandate that everything is canon.
Ah, bummer.

I'm not really into the Star Wars world, that's too bad that every little thing has to be connected. I guess that MMORPG from EA will be the last one. Thinking about it, this is a very limited restriction for games, and I doubt they will use these characters in anything significant, maybe a recollection in a comic or book at most. In that they could say "a lone warrior" or "a Jedi" instead ob being specific. It's Star Wars though, and their fans seem to be very into specifics so they know what they're doing I'm sure.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What efforts? One token black mentor side character who is so obviously going to die it's not even funny?
So far they've put in effort to include PoC and aliens as part of everyday life. In the older SW we barely even got that. So yes, when I see the mentor character being a PoC for once, I take notice, when I see diverse npcs I take notice, when I see a deliberate attempt to not make a character who falls into very specific video game hero archetypes, I take notice. None of those things occur on their own. Multiple artists made those choices.

I didn't mean to imply that the writer only made Jacob gay after the fact. I do believe he intended him to be bi from the start. That being said, the missions you mention could basically be read to be entirely platonic from Jacob's side if you didn't know about the tweet so pretending like he was explicitly shown to be sexually attracted to another guy in the game is somewhat disingenuous.
I mean a lot of people tend not to get LBGT subtext unfortunately. It can be argued that they were too subtle about it but it was pretty clear to a lot of people before they outright confirmed it.

He seems to be atypical in a very typical sort of way, though.
I mean like I said several pages back, the default male hero in video games usually appeals to two archetypes
-Cocky rogue ala Nathan Drake
-Various versions of gruff experienced male ala most shooter protagonists from the last generation of games

Based on the small bits of footage and trailers, the protagonist here doesn't apply to either of those archetypes.

"nO iTS nOt, iNsErT cHriStIaN gOd hErE. aFtER aLL tHeRe aRe tWo bLaCk pEoPle aNd aLiENS aS sUpPorTiNg cHaRaCTers."

That's not fucking good enough.

The white guy being the center of the story in every game/movie/etc has to be fucking done.
But this isn't even an example of THAT because the last SW game featured a woman who was a PoC as the protagonist. The lead characters in the main media right now are explicitly diverse.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris

I don't know if you noticed, but white men have been and still very much are the center of so much of entertainment and news media that it's not even funny. At the same time, we have a problem in video games and society with white men doing a lot of horrible things whenever they are not in power or being catered to. So I'm pretty much done with dumb excuses from white male developers once more centering that type of identity for the gazillionth time no matter who will be the white guy's "supporting cast".